• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

Strider311

Holy crap, this game has been fantastic so far. The writing and dialogue has been on point. And the soundtrack choices have just been perfect. Just started Chapter 3 before calling it for the night.

I am really, really enjoying this!
At the same point myself. Loving it so far.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I decided to try rolling back the driver from the "Day-1 Game Ready" driver to the previous driver with a clean install, and got a 6% performance increase over the Day-1 driver. Less micro-stuttering, too.

New Day-1 Driver, 1080p Native, High Settings:
NGEI5z0.jpg

Previous Driver, 1080p Native, High Settings:
ZzljuW2.jpg

New Day-1 Driver, 1440p Native, High Settings:
1M0Wpqk.jpg

Previous Driver, 1440p Native, High Settings:
y1LxyJa.jpg

I still think I'm CPU-bound, but things feel much better.

Pretty much no performance gain going from Native to DLSS(Balanced), and also very little difference between 1080p and 1440p = CPU-bound and/or some funky optimization going on.
Previous Driver, 1080p Native, High Settings:
9G2YL0V.jpg

Previous Driver, 1080p DLSS(Balanced), High Settings:
vTcEjTb.jpg

Previous Driver, 1440p Native, High Settings:
qwXd34y.jpg

Previous Driver, 1440p DLSS(Balanced), High Settings:
iHx7mTt.jpg

My Intel I7-11370H+RTX 3060 laptop is faster than my Ryzen 1600+RTX 2060 Super desktop and GeForce Now's Intel CC150+Nvidia Tesla T10. 75fps avg vs 71fps avg vs 47 avg.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The writing and acting is so good it makes me want to watch the movies again.

I really dig these worlds they designed. They could use a little less "everything is suspended in air for some reason", but it all looks so good and is fun to traverse that I don't much care. Also thinking abut cranking up the difficulty. I am not one for very difficult games, but on normal I feel like I am doing trick shots and like running the enemies around like the Harlem Globetrotters. Maybe that's a good thing, I dunno, but I hven't even come close to dying yet and if it remains that way at the halfway point I may go ahead and jack it up.

dok1or

This is my GOTY!
Impressive game, gratz to eidos
Presentation, voice acting, music, gameplay... Yap, I love gameplay and animations are great...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That Dweller-in-Darkness fight was cool, but probably one of the poorest-communicated boss fights ever. In terms of what exactly one is supposed to be doing to drive the fight forward.

It seems like one is supposed to being tactical if you keep an ear on the banter between the team and this Lady Deathknell or whatever, when rather one just needs to keep shooting mobs until a triangle prompt appears somewhere. Bit of a let down when I realized how shallow the fight was, and I could just basically move side to side shooting and every now and again dodging while waiting for the prompts.

GymWolf

It runs pretty great on my end.

1800p, dlss quality, everything on max except shadows on med and no blur or the other annoying settings, v-sync from nvidia panel, with these settings i have pretty stable 60 fps, although i only played for like 1 hour so i need to see if during combat the framerate goes down.

What number are you using for the dlss sharpness setting?!

P.s. using hdr break this game, if i turn on the thing on window the game show a black screen with only audio, tried 3 times already...

The game is already super colorfull and vivid even without it.

The writing is great, much better than the movies.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thankfully, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy isn't the kind of massive hundred hour-long open world experience so many AAA games feel the need to be these days, but even so, there's plenty going on here that you'll need to keep an eye on as you play the game.

And so, as you prepare to step into the shoes of Star-Lord and head out on an galactic journey with you fellow Guardians, here, we'll be going over a few handy pointers that you should keep in mind as you play the game.

Last edited:

Granty666uk

Anyone getting crashes on Series X ? running in performance mode and it went black and dropped back to dashboard 3 times in 3 hours.

I'm trying my hardest not to go to performance mode. The game just looks so damn pretty on quality. I just don't know how long I can hold out on playing 30fps with this kind of game. It's kind a lot of action so far and the new consoles have spoiled me with getting most games at 60fps. :(

Performance gets gradually worse on ps5 as u go on….game really needs another patch

series x is not as bad but both seem like they are awaiting a major patch

Elginer

I'm trying my hardest not to go to performance mode. The game just looks so damn pretty on quality. I just don't know how long I can hold out on playing 30fps with this kind of game. It's kind a lot of action so far and the new consoles have spoiled me with getting most games at 60fps. :(
I’m in the same boat. Every now and then I switch but damn it 👀 so good in quality mode.

Schnozberry

I'll probably pick this up on Series X after patches fix the worst of the performance issues.

I'm glad to read that the story and gameplay are worthwhile. Avengers was a travesty.

Got up to Chapter 4 last night. Pretty fun game so far. It's basically Uncharted but with an entirely different combat system and I'm diggin it.

Only problem so far is that it's rather buggy. Not nearly as buggy as Avengers was (or still is, probably), but I've run into a few moments where I had to reload a checkpoint to progress

Kuranghi

It runs pretty great on my end.

1800p, dlss quality, everything on max except shadows on med and no blur or the other annoying settings, v-sync from nvidia panel, with these settings i have pretty stable 60 fps, although i only played for like 1 hour so i need to see if during combat the framerate goes down.

What number are you using for the dlss sharpness setting?!

P.s. using hdr break this game, if i turn on the thing on window the game show a black screen with only audio, tried 3 times already...

The game is already super colorfull and vivid even without it.

The writing is great, much better than the movies.

Yeah I had this issue too, but the first time and a time after that there was an image but it was all dark colours and fucked up shadows/gamma. It was definitely broken, I saw someone else say they had this issue and they had a 1080 ti and I have a 1080 so maybe an issue with 10-series cards.

I've seen no one with a 30-series complain about HDR problems, they all say it looks amazing, I think one person with a 2080, possibly ti, said "HDR looked wrong" but nothing conclusive that it was the same issue I had. Its like its outputting not-HDR (but not SDR either) but still telling the TV its HDR, its really weird. I tried forcing my TV into HDR10 and different colour spaces to see if "Auto" was malfunctioning but thats definitely not the case either.

I asked about it on the steam forums and the dev basically said: "You can use the calibration tool", which is definitely not my issue, its just generally fucked at any HDR slider settings and all other HDR media and games works fine for me on PC or console.

As you say SDR is amazing too so I can live without HDR but I'm also thinking constantly "holy fuck balls the colour/depth of the image looks amazing but imagine it with HDR..."

Also this is the first game I've not been able to hit 4K30 locked at (reasonable) max settings. I can do 4K30 90% scaling and its locked 98% of the time but some areas push it over the edge for more than a few seconds and you notice the stutter. If I do 85% then that fixes almost all drops but every 5% lost from native 4K is a crime against humanity because the game looks god-like at native 4K. Its their fucking eyes! They look so amazing.

I'm going to try with medium shadows (one article says its a crazy perf hit from medium to high, but a lot of shadowing is removed when you go down so I'm unsure if I want to do that) and no SSR (I think its used nicely but its also a kind of thing I dont miss if I never knew it was there) to see if that gets me locked at native 4K on the pink level (which I'm told is the most intensive, great for locking down the settings) but I have my doubts I can do it, its a super demanding game, but it also looks amazing so I think its justified.

PSA: Please anyone else who has HDR issues chime in and say which GPU you have and if you managed to fix it.

I’m in the same boat. Every now and then I switch but damn it 👀 so good in quality mode.

Tell me about it, I know you are both on console but its the same on PC, on a GTX 1080/2070/3060 you basically need to go down to 1080p to get truly locked 60 and as you say its just so clean at 4K I can't do it.

It helps that the game is responsive as hell even at 30fps (compared to many recent titles I can think of) but it doesn't help that object-based motion blur has a really short shutter speed at 30fps so it can look quite stuttery even on my panel which makes 30fps look really great usually.

dok1or

Win 11...
Ingame HDR is dark and waahed out..
When I turn it off, windows tell me about AutoHDR and game is so vibrant...

Kuranghi

That is where I dropped my "fruit by the foot".

Thats funny as hell name for it to me, its called a "Fruit Winder" here haha. I had to google it because I thought it was some sort of metaphorical statement for being shocked by realisation, like:

"I was eating some fruit and then I saw this amazing graphics/scene and it caused me to drop my fruit and it landed next to my foot"

This, but with fruit:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's amazing how this game went from "LOL shit Avengers 2.0" to "GOTY!".
What gets me is the people who were saying the game looked shit graphically. Now some are saying it's one of the best-looking games out there. What were they looking at before?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's amazing how this game went from "LOL shit Avengers 2.0" to "GOTY!".
To be fair the reveal trailer was super, super bad. I wasn't excited by this at first but decided to give it a chance because Eidos, and I'm not regretting. Amazing game so far.

Kuranghi

What gets me is the people who were saying the game looked shit graphically. Now some are saying it's one of the best-looking games out there. What were they looking at before?

Their horrible misshapen crotches.

I'm as surprised by the graphics of this game as I am underwhelmed by other big games that were recently shown off properly.

Luipadre

Just played 4+ hours in quality mode on PS5. This game is absolutely amazing. The graphics are amazing, the writing and the amount of dialogue in this game is staggering. I laughed out loud many times during my playtime and im having an absolute blast. I even like the combat and gameplay. Im playing as slow as i can, exploring and taking evertyhing in. It was really hard to put this game down but i have to eat :D

Amazing work by the devs, oh and the music... jesus christ im loving this :D

Im definitely going to do another playthrough with the raytracing patch because there are so many choices already and i want to see the other outcomes

Esppiral

Are there any comparisons between the PS5 and Xbox series x versions? I want to buy the game but I haven't decided the platform yet, does it runs or look better in one of them?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are there any comparisons between the PS5 and Xbox series x versions? I want to buy the game but I haven't decided the platform yet, does it runs or look better in one of them?
Xbox seems a bit smoother in later chapters after the beginning. PS5 has DualSense features.

Top Bottom