• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TIGERCOOL

Solid reviews! Based on my experience with the last 2 games I'll probably fall more in line with the IGN and GameSpot takes but enjoy it enough

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Definitely well deserved. Maybe this will be the first game in a long time for me to go for a plat.

I know many will not feel the same way as Tim however. It's to be expected.
He and Greg share the same taste as I do, so coming from them this means more than basically everyone else. hype

kaizenkko

Gamespot and IGN have been harsh on a lot of the big exclusives recently. Especially compared to the other publications which have been handing out 9s and 10s to everyone and their mothers.

I wonder if its a concerted effort to be more like Eurogamer, Edge than Gameinformer. The game looks like it will be the first 90+ insomniac game in over two decades so it's weird to see both IGN and Gamespot hype machine offer a slightly more measured look.

And I mean that in a good way. 8 is still considered GREAT in Gamespot's book.
It's better this way. If IGN have gave a 9 or more for this game a lot of bots would start calling the review was buyed.

jm89

Will probably settle on high 80s

73 review scores added on meta and it's at 90

Edit: Back to 91 with 77 reviews

HOOOOOLD

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I will not allow this TOTK slander. lol

what did they give Pikmin 4?

nintendo is just different. Their games are rated on a different scale. Apparently Super Mario Wonder is really innovative so expect a 98 on metacritic.

Lol everyone freaked out about the 8 gamespot gave TotK but I found it pretty fair. IGN gave it a 10

Pikmin 4 got a 9/10. It’s a fine game but I don’t think they are becoming more harsh if those two reviews are anything to go by

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
90 after 72 reviews. Don't drop below the 90 mark! 80 is the lowest review it's got. Curse you IGN and Gamespot!
Still 91 after 77 reviews.

kQwXbpF.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Standards change over time, and Insomniac's Spider-Man doesn't have the "new" factor anymore. Again, I think Wolverine will be a different story.
Yeah, people dont realize NEW is a big IT factor. Everything feels fresh and unique the first time around. You arent thinking about terms like formulaic or safe or samey on the first go. Thats why the first spiderman gave probably got an 87. Wolverine will definitely score higher if they have a different combat system and level design.

Draugoth

Gold Member
We knew exactly what the game was before the reviews came in. Now we know the quality is what we hoped for.

Game of the Generation, unless somehow Wolverine lives up to expectations (still will probably be Spiderman though cause webslinging).

- "Game of the Generation"

Tetris, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders reading this:

11fbb437_bb86_43cf_b54c_75587a77da78.jpeg

Mowcno

I'm expecting a lowish review from Polygon. This is their current in progress review on Metacritic:

"There are hints of greater thematic aspirations within Spider-Man 2. Questions about mass incarceration, recidivism, and reintegration into society for formerly incarcerated people; worries about the surveillance state and what we give up when we engage with modern technology. These things appear, however fleetingly, in Spider-Man 2, but there isn’t enough time to elaborate on any single one in the unrelenting march of set-piece after glorious set-piece. But I’m glad they’re there, anyway. Because if we’re going to retell a story, we ought to retell it anew. Canons were made to be broken, and Spider-Man 2 swings in that direction. With a sequel teed up by the game’s final act, I’m eager to see where Insomniac goes with that momentum."

Apparently the thing they thought was most important to talk about was commentary about the justice system of America. It is a video game?

91 score after 91 reviews.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I‘m gonna go with 91, I think Insomniac finally breaks the 90 mark and improves on the previous Spidey games

but this is also skewed because Spider-Man is my fave superhero and Insomniac has long been one of my favorite developers going all the way back to Spyro
I know there’s going to be more reviews but holy crap I take this as an absolute win, 81 reviews so far and I was spot-on 😵‍💫 I don’t think I’ve ever nailed a review prediction like this before

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm expecting a lowish review from Polygon. This is their current in progress review on Metacritic:

"There are hints of greater thematic aspirations within Spider-Man 2. Questions about mass incarceration, recidivism, and reintegration into society for formerly incarcerated people; worries about the surveillance state and what we give up when we engage with modern technology. These things appear, however fleetingly, in Spider-Man 2, but there isn’t enough time to elaborate on any single one in the unrelenting march of set-piece after glorious set-piece. But I’m glad they’re there, anyway. Because if we’re going to retell a story, we ought to retell it anew. Canons were made to be broken, and Spider-Man 2 swings in that direction. With a sequel teed up by the game’s final act, I’m eager to see where Insomniac goes with that momentum."

Apparently the thing they thought was most important to talk about was commentary about the justice system of America. It is a video game?

Wtf is this for real or did you type this into ChatGPT:

“Write a satirical and biased review from Polygon of Spider-Man 2 that only focuses on woke pandering social issues in a friggin superhero game”

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom