• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Married middle school teacher, 27, arrested for rape of an underage student

Tagyhag

There is very little about your justice system and societies relation to it that isn't stupid. Racism, private prison industry, insane, inhumane sentence lenghts, judges behaving not like professionals but like they are on TV, the absurd amount of money paid for lawyers, focus on punishment and revenge instead of rehabilitation, inhumane conditions in prison, the absurd jury system. Sorry if that hurts you.

Our justice system does indeed have its fucked up laws, and we do have prison problems. I don't think any American is going to disagree with that.

But thinking a 26 year old having sex with someone under the age of 16 is OK? No no.

erawsd

It's not happening that often. You are just hearing about it more because in the internet age it makes for an easy sensationalist headline that grabs people's attwbtion and clicks.

Yeah, I'd bet it isn't happening more. Its possible there are more people being prosecuted for it these days vs 20+ years ago since cellphones/internet have made it a lot easier to investigate and corroborate stories.

Dynomutt

wow i just want to say the ambiguous and messy legal terms you use in America makes that thread a real cluster fuck of reactions!

So if i understand your legal system (it may be the same in France i'm not even sure),

The story here could well be "She actually fell in love with a student, they had a story, then oral sex and intercourse, parents discovered it, called the cops, bam"

Which is still fucked up from her, but most people in that thread seems to think the story is a satanic teacher drudged and strapped a kid then raped him with a dildo"

Those.. are really different stories! Extrapolated from the same terms. If i'm not wrong.

If your a teacher and you find yourself falling in love with your students your already fucked up and you already violated that trust. We're not even talking college/juco teacher's aide type situations and even those can be immoral,unprofessional, and still get you in trouble. Like how did that conversation even begin?

Alienfan

It's disgusting no matter how you phrase it. Some of these posts man, if it was a male teacher taking advantage of a young student, I'm sure some of these responses would be different. This should be treated no differently, you don't fuck underage students.

orioto

Good Art™
If your a teacher and you find yourself falling in love with your students your already fucked up and you already violated that trust. We're not even talking college/juco teacher's aide type situations and even those can be immoral,unprofessional, and still get you in trouble. Like how did that conversation even begin?

Well yeah that's what i said actually

azyless

Yeah it is clearly, but i mean is it called a rape to, in France, if it's consensual for example. That's what i was wondering about. Mostly about legal terms
Oh. No, here "rape" is about strictly non-consensual acts (I think English speaking countries are the exception in that regard). It is still under "sexual child abuse" though.

WipedOut

Maybe if she was your English teacher you would have learned how to use your and you're properly.

ColdPizza

Banned
Our justice system does indeed have its fucked up laws, and we do have prison problems. I don't think any American is going to disagree with that.

But thinking a 26 year old having sex with someone under the age of 16 is OK? No no.

Yeah, it doesn't abide by "the algorithm".

Age/2 + 7

26/2 + 7 = 20.

Kid was too young by 4 years

Cairax

Neo Member
Yeah it's odd. All I can think of is that kids are maturing quicker (are they? I'm just guessing), so you have a 15-16 year old male with many adult-like features, and it's just another cute guy to a gal. Hard to prove that out I suppose, since we never know anything about the kids for obvious reasons. Are they all young football-captain studs, or are all range of types involved?

What I'm curious about is whether this is a recent upward trend, or another case of 'we never heard of it as much before because internet'

I'm sure it happened pre-Internet
Yup. It happened in the 80's and 90's too. The difference is that back then the news only came on 4 times a day rather than live every hour of every day.

orioto

Good Art™
Oh. No, here "rape" is about strictly non-consensual acts (I think English speaking countries are the exception in that regard). It is still under "sexual child abuse" though.

Yes that's what i was thinking. My post is about that actually. You have 2 terms in the op, rape, and sodomy, that can be read in really different ways and some posters are like "but she strapped the kid and sodomized him, burn her!"

This is horrible. One thing I don't get is that when I see stories like this, the women are always quite attractive and it makes me think "you can likely get any man you want, why choose a kid?".

It's odd, but it must be to do with power or something.

Zok310

Banned
Keep sending them to jail for this shit and eventually people will slowing stop responding with "nice" and "would" reactions. If you had included her picture, I'm sure there would be a handful.

lol, no the fuck it wont, jail aint stopping nobody from doing anything illegal.

820.jpeg

jk, I hope she gets the same punishment as a male teacher would in the situation. Hopefully the kids get help.

No you don't you're just covering your ass.

I don't understand why attractive women in their mid-late 20's so often sleep with young teenage students. In most of these cases that I've seen, the teacher shouldn't really have a problem finding hook-ups with other adults, so why the aversion to men her age? I'm sure there's some deep psychological impetus behind it, but it's still bizarre to me.
It's called pedophilia. They are sexually attracted to minors, they seek out minors/children on purpose. Being a young attractive woman doesn't change that fact.

Dynomutt

You might say you were Raping the English language.

I mean you should only really use capitals for proper nouns. In other words, capitalize the names of people, specific places, and things. For example: We don't capitalize the word "Raping" unless it starts a sentence. I think the "ing" makes it a verb as well.

Let's call it even and say were on the same side on this one.

Counselor here. I said this in the Cosby thread, and it applies to an extent here too:

"Sexual abuse is not a problem that is best solved through punishment. Like so many other cruelties, it must be solved through education. Teaching our kids the value of consent from the earliest age, removing long standing stigmas surrounding sex and sexuality, becoming a society where 'good touch, bad touch' and the 'bathing suit area' are as common knowledge as 1+1=2."

The difference in this case is that she's an attractive teacher giving attention to a student who probably desires it... that makes things extremely complicated. This contact seems to have been consensual, so the child is likely to defend their abuser even though the relationship was evidently illegal and sexually exploitative.

More paranoia isn't the solution (male teachers are already incredibly rare due to the fact that even the most trivial allegations can destroy one's life, it would be stupid to extend that fear to females as well when we should be working to eliminate it), and it's well documented that prohibiting physical contact does more harm than good, but I'm not sure you can stop two people who are attracted to each other from having sex.

I will clarify this though: Cases like this are extremely rare, and the number of sexually predatory teachers is not dramatically higher than sexually predatory lawyers, businessmen, clergy, etc. Sometimes, tragedies are just aberrations that could not have been prevented.

Why not both? Educate before the infraction, decades of jail time after.

XenIneX

And apart from some backwards country laws sodomy is widely considered to cover only anal sex.
"Kentucky"

Kentucky Revised Statutes
[...]last updated on 06/15/2017
[...]
510.090 Sodomy in the third degree.
(1) A person is guilty of sodomy in the third degree when:
(b) Being twenty-one (21) years old or more, he or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person less than sixteen (16) years old;
(2) Sodomy in the third degree is a Class D felony.
[...]
510.010 Definitions for chapter.
The following definitions apply in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Deviate sexual intercourse" means any act of sexual gratification involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or anus of another; or penetration of the anus of one person by a foreign object manipulated by another person. "Deviate sexual intercourse" does not include penetration of the anus by a foreign object in the course of the performance of generally recognized health-care practices;

Don't worry, though; gay sex is only a misdemeanor in KY...

WipedOut

I mean you should only really use capitals for proper nouns. In other words, capitalize the names of people, specific places, and things. For example: We don't capitalize the word "Raping" unless it starts a sentence. I think the "ing" makes it a verb as well.

Let's call it even and say were on the same side on this one.
Touché

Why not both? Educate before the infraction, decades of jail time after.

That would be fair, though I generally think we should focus on rehabilitation with imprisonment serving as a last resort for repeat offenders and violent sadists (the only people I would deem as truly beyond help).

qcf x2

I will clarify this though: Cases like this are extremely rare, and the number of sexually predatory teachers is not dramatically higher than sexually predatory lawyers, businessmen, clergy, etc. Sometimes, tragedies are just aberrations that could not have been prevented.

Really, because this kind of thing happened at my middle school and my high school. And those were in two very different locations.

The people asking "why, if she's hot" seemingly don't understand that she's a sicko/pedo the same way they'd consider a male teacher having sex with his middle school student and following her to another school to be. These people are predatory and part of the reason they become teachers is to have easy access at a time when the victims' hormones are out of control.

Fuchsdh

Because the rapists are usually young and white.

Imagine if a black teacher did this what sort of picture they'd use.

Young white criminals always get nice pictures.
Or, Occam's razor, it's a lot easier and faster to pull shots from social media than wait for mug shots.

Damerman

This has to be a mental illness. Why couldnt you have gone to a bar to meet a proper person? Why do you have to do this shit to underaged kids? She's sick in my mind... the same kind of person who would have intercourse with an animal.

This seems to be happening a lot. I still think the craziest one was the one from a few years back, where the teacher not only got pregnant, but would be invited to family (the boy's) events and be introduced to people as the boy's (a middle-schooler, mind you) girlfriend. From what I recall, not only was the teacher in trouble (obviously), the parents were being investigated as well. Not sure what happened in regards to the parents.

Edit- I decided to search for the story, just so I could find this twisted bit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...aily-basis-police-say/?utm_term=.2dbf44dadd2e

In January, Vera said she discovered the boy had gotten her pregnant. When the couple told the boy's family, according to the teacher, they were ecstatic and supportive.

Oh, and she was 24 and he was like 13/14.

Mesousa

Banned
This has to be a mental illness. Why couldnt you have gone to a bar to meet a proper person? Why do you have to do this shit to underaged kids? She's sick in my mind... the same kind of person who would have intercourse with an animal.

This literally sounds like an argument homophobic people make against gay people

Top Bottom