• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man...how the fuck did disney fuck up their starwars trilogy so bad?

how do you go from this
to this

First off, Daisy Ridley is fine. Second, Leia was getting piped by her brother. Third, Rose is a garbage and useless character. Kinda like this one:

lhgt5lA.jpg

NahaNago

I knew something was very very wrong when Rey beat Kylo Ren in the first film. Wounded or not that should not have happened. It also really didn't help that Rey was an expert at everything. The whole point of a Hero's Journey is that they leave home for the first time, discover the world, and have potential, but little skills. Then over the course of hardship, failure, training, education and battles, they obtain power and grow in wisdom, until eventually he or she becomes the hero. But in the Sequel Trilogy Rey was already competent and effective at fighting the enemy. So how the fuck does the hero grow at the point?

They don't.

First encounter should have had her using her wits to escape, the second encounter should have been her getting her butt whooped, and the third encounter should have been she has trained and fought and is now a reasonable opponent to kylo ren.

luffie

The top management has no talent and is only there through connections. They don't have an understanding of who and what in the Star Wars universe.

And so they hire subpar talents, while not being able to differentiate what is good or bad, while making decisions based on committee research while not understanding the context around that data.

If you add these up, any project you make even if it isn't Star Wars, you will produce garbage, always.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
It all hinges on one factor for me and that's the treatment of Luke. They fundamentally misunderstood his character from the OT. Whether the execs like it or not, Luke was the main reason people wanted sequels to be made. Nobody really cared about Han or Leia as their stories were basically finished. Everyone wanted to see what Luke could do with more experience. When the answer to 'what has Luke been up to?' was 'nothing' the whole thing collapsed on itself.

I still maintain force awakens was a decent setup for a new trilogy. Not a perfect film, but it did the job. Last jedi broke the story and series beyond repair. Rise of Skywalker is at least unique as I've never seen a direct sequel take so many shots at its predecessor.

Ionian

Not really related but the Auralnauts improved ROTJ. It's actually pretty impressive they're still working on these.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
2015: give me more Star Wars and fans took what’s they can get, I was happy with the 70s, 80s and 90s films...

Madflavor

We should take one of the most beloved and iconic heroes across all of fiction, and turn him into a failure and a piece of shit. This is deep.

*Later...*

Oh fuck! Quick JJ save us!

People wanted to see one last adventure with Luke, Leia and Han (even if the latter two characters were cared less for, as mentioned above).

What we got was their deaths, and the awful inclusion of shoddy characters with no depth, nothing new was brought to the table, and even the actors are embarrassed by it and most certainly won't return.

There were so many directions they could have gone down, exploring the mysteries of the force or the New Republic, etc...

sol_bad

The top management has no talent and is only there through connections. They don't have an understanding of who and what in the Star Wars universe.
And so they hire subpar talents, while not being able to differentiate what is good or bad, while making decisions based on committee research while not understanding the context around that data.

If you add these up, any project you make even if it isn't Star Wars, you will produce garbage, always.

So John Favreau and Dave Filoni are subpar talents?
Are ya'll happy that Kathleen Kennedy is sticking around for years to come?
:)

They were alright. I sincerely hope they skip a thousand years into the future or something and leave all of the old shit behind. That story is done.

What they're going to do: shoehorn baby yoda into everything. Fuck that. I have zero interest in a cute version of a classic character. Let someone with a vision make the thing, and leave the past behind. Leave the fan service to the brain dead Disney+ shows.

Allforce

I grew up in the heyday of Star Wars hysteria, lived through the prequel trilogy, and was a grown ass established man during the latest 3 films.

I can tell you all the awfulness from the prequel trilogy and also all the bad-assness. I can't tell you shit from the latest trilogy other than "oh yeah that scene where Han Solo ****" And I've seen those much more recently.

I did dig Rogue One and Solo somehow. And Mandalorian. Star Wars mainline films just aren't the best Star Wars right now but in another 20 years shit'll be different.

I rewatched TFA recently. One of the most beautiful visual shows ever put to (digital) film, but yep, it’s a mess.

Believe it or not, the majority of the sequel trilogy's footage was shot on analog film.

Also fact: Dual Of The Fates was supposed to be shot on 65mm film and IMAX stock with actual background footage of space shot from the ISS.

Fuck Carrie, WHY did you have to mix a cocktail of coke and ecstasy?!

Ionian

Dude, she was open about it for years. Kinda wrote books about it or something.

She was fucked and it just happened at that time. A massive loss no doubt.

She did everything under the sun.

luffie

So John Favreau and Dave Filoni are subpar talents?
Are ya'll happy that Kathleen Kennedy is sticking around for years to come?
:)
Obviously I was referring to the sequels. But Mando isn't something very good either, it's just due to the sequels being so terrible that Mando looks so great in comparison.

Before Mando, games like Kotor were already doing much better stories. Can't really exactly pinpoint everything due to KK's management without any hard evidence, but as many exposed stories go, bad management always play a big role in screwing up.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Kathleen kennedy clearly has no sense of what direction to take this series in, its not a gender thing, its the fact that rise of sky walker happened under her watch

sol_bad

Obviously I was referring to the sequels. But Mando isn't something very good either, it's just due to the sequels being so terrible that Mando looks so great in comparison.

Before Mando, games like Kotor were already doing much better stories. Can't really exactly pinpoint everything due to KK's management without any hard evidence, but as many exposed stories go, bad management always play a big role in screwing up.

KOTOR has a better story than any of the Star Wars films so that's nothing new. So Lucas was bad management too?

Favreau and Feloni are both mediocre. The only reason people are hailing them as the second coming of George is because everything else is so terrible.

Name me a single original thing either of them have done. Feloni did some good stuff on Clone Wars, but that was mostly George's baby. Neither of them is a creative powerhouse. They are good at playing with other's toys.

The best they can do is these guys who are very good at copy/paste jobs. They need original minds, unless they are content to wallow in nostalgia. Which most people seem to be fine with tbh.

Last edited:

Rockmaninoff

Neo Member
I imagine it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Rian Johnson and JJ have both said it was all them, but I bet the higher ups were constantly telling them what to do - they were just fall guys. Why else would Colin Trevorrow leave (or get fired) over creative differences? If he had complete autonomy, there would be no differences at all

NahaNago

I imagine it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Rian Johnson and JJ have both said it was all them, but I bet the higher ups were constantly telling them what to do - they were just fall guys. Why else would Colin Trevorrow leave (or get fired) over creative differences? If he had complete autonomy, there would be no differences at all
Making Luke some blue milk drinking hobo or him dying in the movie doesn't seem like something the higher ups decided .

sol_bad

JJ and Rian generally get to make what they want in their films. Look at Rian Johnsons filmography and you'll see that he makes what he wants. I believe that only Trevorrow's ideas for 9 got veto'd, I think all 3 of them would have left if they didn't get to run with their own ideas. At least for episode 7 and 8. Episode 9 on the other hand, that's a weird situation to be honest and I'm not sure if JJ had complete control, I think he may have agreed to return to help "fix" the problem.

Top Bottom