• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man...how the fuck did disney fuck up their starwars trilogy so bad?

Razvedka

Banned
Force Awakens was derivative horse piss.

The Last Jedi was not only also derivative horse piss, but completely ridiculous and broke established in-lore rules (hyperspace). The plot was atrocious.

Predictably, Rise of the Skywalker tried to tie up loose ends and undo the damage of Rian Johnson's movie. This resulted in a movie that could charitably be described as created by a prepubescent mind.

There's nothing redeemable about any of these movies beyond the quality of the effects, and some of the acting (Driver, Hamell, Ford, Mcdiarmid, Boyega, etc).

Maybe this is because it was "directed by a commitee", with Disney insisting on formulaic crap to maximize a return on their massive investment. Maybe it was also because, despite this, they allowed the directors to do whatever the hell they wanted otherwise with zero coordination. There was no Kevin Feige or Lucas figure with a unified vision and artistic control. Sure, there's Kathleen Kennedy but the less we can talk about her the better.

It was never going to be good. Disney made their money, but outside of Rogue One (and now, Mandalorian) they've massacred the IP.

Simply appalling.

What should be done (as a SW fan):

1. They retcon the entire trilogy. It never happened.

2. They axe Kathleen Kennedy and bring in Lucas + Feige.

3. Abrams and Johnson are never allowed within 100sq miles of a SW directors chair or writing room.

Last edited:

Clown Movie World. Unforgivable.
Much like JJ altering the ending to TFA to link to TLJ, there were links to Trevorrow's IX Rian shot. Specifically the pick-up shot with Finn having the Stormtroopers turn on Phasma, alluding to his leading a trooper rebellion in Dual Of The Fates (did not make it since Treverrow was fired already during the editing process) and Rey having googly-eyes for Poe upon meeting since Rey×Poe was apperently a Treverrow thing too (made it in the final version for some reason).

NahaNago

1. They retcon the entire trilogy. It never happened.

I'd go with retcon. Make this all a force vision that Luke has. Have him fix the mistakes with ben solo. Pick up Rey off of that planet and have those two train together, fall in love, and discover they are force twins. Have Finn have his own movie maybe even a trilogy and meet up somehow with Poe until he finds his force abilities and ends up training to become a Jedi.

T8SC

It's done & dusted now. Carrie is gone, Peter is gone, Harrison is too old and I think the next Indy movie will be his last (Only doing it because he loves that character) and I think Mark has lost his love for the franchise after that terrible set of movies.

The only way forward is to make new stories unrelated to the 9 core movies.

I do hold a bit of hope for Obi Wan though, Ewan was superb in the prequels, so I hope they give him a good story over the course of the show.

G-Bus

Banned
The one stand out for me was what happened with Fin, or didn't happen. Totally set up for something in the Force Awakens and than.... Nothing.

Honestly thought he'd be some cool storm trooper/Jedi hybrid dude.

Madflavor

I don't ever see them retconning the Sequel Trilogy, but I would actually bet that the idea of "Separate Timelines" has been tossed around at LucasFilm.

Ionian

The one stand out for me was what happened with Fin, or didn't happen. Totally set up for something in the Force Awakens and than.... Nothing.

Honestly thought he'd be some cool storm trooper/Jedi hybrid dude.

Well he was force sensitive, told Rey he'd tell her later and didn't. Film never explained it.

Kinda like Maz's scene with her giving Luke's lightsaber to Rey, 'A story for another time'. Didn't explain it even though they met again.

Comics did something with it. Much like C3-PO's red arm but c'mon, just lame.

As for Finn the character, "REY! REY! REY! .... REEEEEY!".

Madflavor

I knew something was very very wrong when Rey beat Kylo Ren in the first film. Wounded or not that should not have happened. It also really didn't help that Rey was an expert at everything. The whole point of a Hero's Journey is that they leave home for the first time, discover the world, and have potential, but little skills. Then over the course of hardship, failure, training, education and battles, they obtain power and grow in wisdom, until eventually he or she becomes the hero. But in the Sequel Trilogy Rey was already competent and effective at fighting the enemy. So how the fuck does the hero grow at the point?

They don't.

And btw, it was so fucking satisfying to tell people "I told you so" after TRoS. Everyone who got shit on during TFA when they were all calling her out as a Mary Sue, or a protagonist who was just too good at everything, had to put up with people calling them misogynists. Well the trilogy is over, and Rey barely suffered any real damage, won all her encounters, and had very little counter development.

and bring in Lucas

grossed out comedy central GIF by Workaholics

Last edited:

Ionian

I knew something was very very wrong when Rey beat Kylo Ren in the first film. Wounded or not that should not have happened. It also really didn't help that Rey was an expert at everything. The whole point of a Hero's Journey is that they leave home for the first time, discover the world, and have potential, but little skills. Then over the course of hardship, failure, training, education and battles, they obtain power and grow in wisdom, until eventually he or she becomes the hero. But in the Sequel Trilogy Rey was already competent and effective at fighting the enemy. So how the fuck does the hero grow at the point?

They don't.

And btw, it was so fucking satisfying to tell people "I told you so" after TRoS. Everyone who got shit on during TFA when they were all calling her out as a Mary Sue, or a protagonist who was just too good at everything, had to put up with people calling them misogynists. Well the trilogy is over, and Rey barely suffered any real damage, won all her encounters, and had very little counter development.

You just know that old woman came back to steal the lightsabers after Rey left Tatooine. Was probably a new Palpatine clone and was going to sell them to fund a new Death Star.

PanzerAzel

There’s many aspects I could criticize in the micro, but the failure of Star Wars to me seems to be that the original films were set on a fierce creative vision, while the latter films were largely a commercial endeavor. It shifted from “how can we tell a great story” to “how can we exploit and monetize the living shit out of this?”.

The new films are soulless, vapid trash.

Ionian

There’s many aspects I could criticize in the micro, but the failure of Star Wars to me seems to be that the original films were set on a fierce creative vision, while the latter films were largely a commercial endeavor. It shifted from “how can we tell a great story” to “how can we exploit and monetize the living shit out of this?”.

The new films are soulless, vapid trash.

I felt the same, so many extra characters to make more merch to sell hoping on those Lucas dollars.

Well, they didn't and it failed. I remember seeing merch gear going for next to nothing straight after the films. Only one I thought about was Captain Phasma as she looked cool but ended up forgetting and not caring after TLJ.

GymWolf

Quit while you’re ahead. There’s a thousand threads on this already.

I can summarize it like this:

1. No, there was no plan in place. Never was.

2. Woke has a stranglehold on Disney right now. It fucked up episode 8 and 9 and they just fucked up the only good thing left (the mandalorian) with more woke.

It’s time to stop watching Star Wars. That’s really all there is to it.
Say what?! I still have to see season 2, is it that bad?!

Hugare

They had no plan for the whole trilogy, which was baffling

The old trilogy was also made this way, and honestly, I think it kinda sucked

Controversial opinion, but the only SW movies that I enjoyed were I - III

It had a bunch of idiotic shit sometimes, but it had heart, a lot of worldbuilding and a freaking story to tell

Episode II sucked, but I and III were nice.

Episode III was incredible. Watching shit going down after 2 movies of development was incredible.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Star Wars died in the '80s in my opinion as far as films go. The prequels were garbage and the sequels were nicely made but soulless. I felt nothing for the characters. The side films were unneeded filler. I enjoyed the Mandolorian well enough but I don't like the retcon aspects of it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I rewatched TFA recently. One of the most beautiful visual shows ever put to (digital) film, but yep, it’s a mess.
Finn really stands out like a sore thumb. The character has no motive, no agency. He clearly hangs out with Rey for the pussy after they meet, yet he’s gonna leave her for freedom, then suddenly cares about her again when she gets kidnapped by Ren, and finally he volounteers to sabotage a fucking planet-sized Death Star but he’s a fraud and doesn’t know what to do but does it anyway to save a girl he’s barely met. Either he’s a poorly written character or the thirstiest man in the universe, and I don’t know what’s worse for him.

Then you have the Falcon crashing around like it’s nothing, Rey taking her sweet time with her eyes closed during a lightsaber fight with Ren, that ridiculous scene in the basement with the lightsaber... it’s poor fanfiction at best.

Gifmaker

I largely like what Disney put out, and I love both TFA and TROS and would take every Disney movie over the prequels any day.

It is, however, rather obvious that TLJ just sticks out. It was Rian Johnson's vanity project and he didn't really care about Star Wars, the lore or the fans, the only thing he cared about was how to make a divisive movie out of it and how to "subvert expectations". Yeah, he managed to do that, but it badly damaged about everything in the process. Plus, his writing is not as clever as he thinks it is and doesn't pay off in a meaningful way in the end. Yet still, for some reason a lot of RJ stans will flock over to his work because something something bold new direction for Star Wars. And by "bold", they mean "unnecessary and stupid". So, that one is really a problem... but it still has some cool stuff in it that almost makes up for all the bad ideas. Almost. However, I'm pretty chill at this point, because if George Lucas can release an atrocity like AOTC and people still like the PT, then the ST can easily get away with having TLJ as its middle part. I won't ever get the hate for the ST, but I've long given up on Star Wars fans making any kind of sense since they celebrate the works of Dave Filoni - a man who cannot craft a compelling story if his dear life depended on it - like the second coming of Jesus.

Ionian

You don’t know? They fired one of the actresses because she made some rather inane remarks about liberals on Twitter.

They fired a minor actress for posting dumb conspiracy theories on Twitter after being asked to tone it down.

She literally fired herself and then cried wolf.

She's only victim of her own stupidity. Her arc was pretty much done anyway. No loss.

Last edited:

Ionian

i knew about this, but firing carano doesn't actually means that the plot of the serial is woke...

It isn't really,if you liked the 1st season the 2nd you should too as it ups it's game. Nothing woke about it.

Personally I thought it was a fun journey. Avoid spoilers if you can as a few big moments in it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Wrench the franchise away from Kennedy, and hand it to folks like Favreau and Filloni, who at least respect the franchise and aren't straight up antagonistic towards their fans

Hulk_Smash

Banned
i knew about this, but firing carano doesn't actually means that the plot of the serial is woke...
Her absence will be noticeable next season and with a soyboy actor as the lead and no baby yoda? I have no reason to watch season 3 if they even make a season 3.

Ionian

Her absence will be noticeable next season and with a soyboy actor as the lead and no **** ? I have no reason to watch season 3 if they even make a season 3.

You're a clown for posting spoilers to someone yet to watch it.

She wasn't meant to be in the next season anyway. Was meant to be in a new show.

She was barely in Season 2. Abscence will be noticeable? ahahaha, you sure you watched it?

Razvedka

Banned

She wasn't meant to be in the next season anyway. Was meant to be in a new show.

She was barely in Season 2. Abscence will be noticeable? ahahaha, you sure you watched it?
That's not really accurate, especially the tail end of the season.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

I’m not wasting my time arguing with you. Enjoy Xirdalorian. I won’t be watching.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I agree with the calls for a new trilogy, distance yourself from the sequels. A minor cameo from rey or finn at most. New characters, an interesting threat that isn’t just the empire again. Maybe something thats more like indiana jones, no fate of the galaxy, stakes that are smaller scale and more personal to the characters

INC

I agree with the calls for a new trilogy, distance yourself from the sequels. A minor cameo from rey or finn at most. New characters, an interesting threat that isn’t just the empire again. Maybe something thats more like indiana jones, no fate of the galaxy, stakes that are smaller scale and more personal to the characters

Why would anyone wanna see rey ever again?

One of the worst characters in sci fi history, and worst acted to boot

Her delivery of 'youre han solo of the millennium falcon' is horrific on so many levels

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why would anyone wanna see rey ever again?

One of the worst characters in sci fi history, and worst acted to boot

Her delivery of 'youre han solo of the millennium falcon' is horrific on so many levels

i liked rey, though i think she was never able to live up to her full potential as one of the great starwars characters in those films.

NahaNago

If you're not going to watch it please at least watch this, contains a spoiler for the future season but is so amazingly well done. (Music isn't in episode).

I have mixed feelings on this. The beginning honestly was enjoyable and kind of amusing but the fight looked like your average tv show sword fight. I was expecting more hopping around , acrobatic stuff, and use of the force. I may needed to have watched the show to get more enjoyment out of it.

Rey had a British accent, that was the first problem. You don't make the main hero of Star Wars British. The bad guys (and the heavy) speak with British accents. It's an American film series.

Or I guess, it used to be. That's been usurped now. The villain has won. Palpatine claims the Skywalker name and their home. He even got to make out with Darth Vader's grandson before killing him.

Last edited:
#FIINSHOULDHAVEBEENTHELEAD

Anyway, Disney assumed fans would consume anything star wars related without asking questions. Plus, wokeness. White women leading minorities against evil white men.

As part of their High Republic initiative, they've introduced a character named "Geode". Geode is a slab of rock that is the navigator of a ship called "The Vessel".

blkd5nvvbwh61.jpg

This pretty much sums up Disney Star Wars.

#FIINSHOULDHAVEBEENTHELEAD

Anyway, Disney assumed fans would consume anything star wars related without asking questions. Plus, wokeness. White women leading minorities against evil white men.

Not everything's about WOKENESS. If you need a safe space then use it, no need to cry on the internet like a snowflake.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They relied too much on auteurs, hoping for some of the New Hope and Empire Strikes Back magic. Force Awakens was at least a palate cleanser after the prequels but it left all the heavy lifting for the next two movies.
The Last Jedi could have worked if not followed by the Rise of Skywalker.
And the Rise of Skywalker could have worked if not proceeded by the Last Jedi.
Instead there is just no continuity making the trilogy a disjointed mess, and the last two films have major flaws that are magnified by this.

Ionian

I have mixed feelings on this. The beginning honestly was enjoyable and kind of amusing but the fight looked like your average tv show sword fight. I was expecting more hopping around , acrobatic stuff, and use of the force. I may needed to have watched the show to get more enjoyment out of it.

Ah there's all different types of fighting in it. Just thought that was perfectly suited with the music ;)

NahaNago

Just don't add Rey for now. She is too controversial. Any of the smaller side characters would be okay.
Ah there's all different types of fighting in it. Just thought that was perfectly suited with the music ;)
after re-watching it, I'd have to agree with you. The music really fits. The music really gives it a western feel to it. The problem last time is that I spent the whole time focusing on the fighting.
how do you go from this

slave-leia.gif

da9f88eab39f3546dac4e8b75d070227.jpg
So cruel. Those old outfits would not do well in this day and age. if it was a music video it would be okay.

Top Bottom