• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WBD CEO Zaslav enacting a 10-year plan for DC movies, modeled after what Kevin Feige did with the MCU

ManaByte

Gold Member

“You look at Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, these are brands that are known everywhere in the world,” Zaslav said. “And the ability to drive those all over the world with great story is a big opportunity for us. We have done a reset. We’ve restructured the business. We’re going to focus where there will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC.”

The CEO added that his model for how to run DC going forward is inspired by how former Disney CEO Bob Iger and former Disney chief creative officer Alan Horn empowered Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige to build the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“It’s very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and Bob Iger put together very effectively with Kevin Feige at Disney. We think that we could build a long-term, much stronger, sustainable growth business out of DC and as part of that, we’re gonna focus on quality.”

Zaslav continued, addressing the axing of “Batgirl” by saying: “We’re not going to release any film before it’s ready. We’re not going to release a film to make a quarter… the focus is gonna be how do we make each of these films, in general, as good as possible. But DC is something that we think we could make better and we’re focused on it now.”

Man Of Steel Ok GIF

Last edited:

sol_bad

I don't like the idea of a 10 year plan.
If you want to ape the MCU, concentrate on the individual films and their story. Add a stinger to the credits to tease the next film. If they have an "Endgame" in mind than some of those stingers can hint at that.
Simple.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't like the idea of a 10 year plan.
If you want to ape the MCU, concentrate on the individual films and their story. Add a stinger to the credits to tease the next film. If they have an "Endgame" in mind than some of those stingers can hint at that.
Simple.
Allow Black Adam, Aquaman, Shazam to release. Cancel The Flash. Launch a rebooted Superman movie in 2024 that ignores everything before it and allow it to exist in the Reeves universe if they ever want to do a World's Finest movie where Superman and Batman team up (BUT DON'T FIGHT).

sol_bad

Allow Black Adam, Aquaman, Shazam to release. Cancel The Flash. Launch a rebooted Superman movie in 2024 that ignores everything before it and allow it to exist in the Reeves universe if they ever want to do a World's Finest movie where Superman and Batman team up (BUT DON'T FIGHT).

Again, I can't see why they can't continue with what they already have.

Doom85

Better to do a clean restart to wipe away the baggage once and for all.

I just don’t like in particular Jason Momoa being done dirty like that. Dude has come off as incredibly sweet and enthusiastic about his work from what I’ve heard that it sucks to think he’d just get kicked out like that.

Zachary Levi too, though I do wonder if Shazam 3 was ever planned. Billy’s actor is 19 now, and the whole deal is to show a child/young teen transforming into an adult body but retaining their generally less mature behavior. The magic to that would be lost if Billy is looking like he’s almost done with college by the third movie. I really liked the first film, but I feel it might be smart to have planned to end the 2nd film on a pretty conclusive note even before all these recent shenanigans.

sol_bad

Better to do a clean restart to wipe away the baggage once and for all.

Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam! and The Suicide Squad are pretty well received. If Aquaman 2, Shazam! 2 and Flash are also well received, the majority of DCEU projects are a success.
Story wise the only major villains we have had are Zod and Doomsday, there is nothing that needs to be retconned or fixed. Just a few bad movies that can be ignored.

So I honestly see no point in rebooting anything.

sinnergy

Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam! and The Suicide Squad are pretty well received. If Aquaman 2, Shazam! 2 and Flash are also well received, the majority of DCEU projects are a success.
Story wise the only major villains we have had are Zod and Doomsday, there is nothing that needs to be retconned or fixed. Just a few bad movies that can be ignored.

So I honestly see no point in rebooting anything.
Did you actually watch some of these ? Aquaman , the suicide squad, girls of prey are pieces of shit. Even joker was crinch worthy imo.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Did you actually watch some of these ? Aquaman , the suicide squad, girls of prey are pieces of shit. Even joker was crinch worthy imo.

I've watched them all at the cinemas except for The Suicide Squad due to COVID.
I loved Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman and ZS Justice League.
I thought Aquaman, Shazam! and Birds of Prey were a lot of fun.
I thought The Suicide Squad was just OK, a bit longer than it needed to be.
I though WW84 was cringey but fun in a way.
I thought Suicide Squad was terrible.

I don't consider Joker a comic book film.
If you don't like superhero films that's fine, it just means your opinion on the topic is void to me.

sinnergy

I've watched them all at the cinemas except for The Suicide Squad due to COVID.
I loved Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman and ZS Justice League.
I thought Aquaman, Shazam! and Birds of Prey were a lot of fun.
I thought The Suicide Squad was just OK, a bit longer than it needed to be.
I though WW84 was cringey but fun in a way.
I thought Suicide Squad was terrible.

I don't consider Joker a comic book film.
If you don't like superhero films that's fine, it just means your opinion on the topic is void to me.
I do like comic book movies , but the CEO seems to think like me .. so they are rebooting . Most efforts are below par for the DC stuff , they can’t seem to nail it imo.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How the hell do you reset with a Shazam movie, a Black Adam movie, an Aquaman movie, and a Flash movie starring a sex offender and multiple people playing Batman, all coming out in the next year?

Oh, and there’s also a separate Batman universe, and yet another separate Joker universe too.

What a load of horseshit.

They’ll just limp on the same, claiming a reset, while not actually doing it at all.

Also… Reeves walks if they force him into a shared universe with a load of super powered characters running about.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Modeling it after the MCU?

Damn and they are only over a fucking decade late on doing so.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Momoa's problem is his age. He's 43 already so its not entirely obvious how long his physique is going to hold up for a frequently shirtless role!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Momoa's problem is his age. He's 43 already so its not entirely obvious how long his physique is going to hold up for a frequently shirtless role!
Or how long he wants to even try. Dude seems like the type to just get rich enough and stop caring and just live off b-movie roles the rest of his career while he focuses on being a bro-y gem of a man.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

They can just use the orange armor when his body gets to that point. I wouldn’t worry about any of them aging out. Aquaman is actually portrayed as an older man in some of the cartoons like Young Justice.

thefool

Gross. Just make good movies you dumb idiot.
Who cares about plans and sequels when your product is dogshit

just make good movies, it's not that difficult.

If you would rather writer off an entire film after spending 80m on it, it only shows your utter incompetence.

Jinzo Prime

So, the obvious question is....

Who is going to be the "Kevin Feige" of the DC Universe? Veteran comic book writer and DC president Geoff Johns couldn't handle it, the've driven off talent like George Miller, David Ayer, Christoper Nolan, and Gareth Evans; who is supposed to captain this sunken ship!?

dr_octagon

Banned
So, the obvious question is....

Who is going to be the "Kevin Feige" of the DC Universe? Veteran comic book writer and DC president Geoff Johns couldn't handle it, the've driven off talent like George Miller, David Ayer, Christoper Nolan, and Gareth Evans; who is supposed to captain this sunken ship!?
Kevin Spacey, Ezra Miller and Bryan Singer will be leading the DCMCU.

It was originally going to be a two decade plan but they asked for less than 15 years for reasons.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They can consider stop making DCmovies as a whole too. People keep saying there’s an overabundance of superhero movies so its not a bad idea for them to make space for the current MCU movies.

sol_bad

They can consider stop making DCmovies as a whole too. People keep saying there’s an overabundance of superhero movies so its not a bad idea for them to make space for the current MCU movies.

Or you could just disregard MCU and WB DC movies and focus on other movies released by WB, Sony, Paramount and Universal.

Not sure if this is good or bad. I can only speak for myself, but Marvel movies and shows have been pretty hit and miss in Phase 4 and I'm really not hyped at all for some of the projects in Phase 5. I am kinda feeling the fatigue now, finally. I think it's becoming too much, too convoluted, too full of plotholes for me to still be invested. Very similar to the issues comics ran into to be honest. That plus the constant gender/race bending annoys me. We are talking about 4 (or 5 when Spidey releases) theatrical movies per year, 8+ TV shows per year (including animation), 1-2+ TV specials per year.

Sony is planning to release 2+ Venomverse/Animated Spiderman movies. If their TV side gets ironed out then at least a couple of TV shows a year.

If DC releases the same amount (or even 2/3 or 1/2) of what Marvel releases the market will be way oversaturated. That's not even considering the films based on Dark Horse/Image etc IPs.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Or you could just disregard MCU and WB DC movies and focus on other movies released by WB, Sony, Paramount and Universal.

You just made a joke out of yourself for even suggesting that. Yucks.

Top Bottom