• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making games more challenging for yourself by nerfing your abilities

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Take a game with good combat and fight through it with a pistol, or don't level up your combat character stats too much, so it never becomes too easy.

The rush in gaming is the threat of getting taken out by enemies, I usually nerf my characters which improves a lot of games difficulty.

Have you tried this?

Beast Mode
giphy.gif

When learning a new skill, some say the optimal success rate is 85% (so failing 15% of the time), aka the "Eighty-Five Percent Rule". That sounds about right when I think of the difficulty settings I choose: Where I feel like I'm getting wrecked about 15% of the time. Just enough to be challenging but not frustrating enough to turn it off and never play again.

Chopping off 8 of my 10 fingers means I'd likely fail about 80% of the time at the start, so the learning curve would be a little too steep for me.

Last edited:

yamaci17

i wish there was an additional survival difficulty in rdr 2

after some time arthur becomes too tanky and horse becomes an immortal runner

Knightime_X

Sliders and toggles that allow several aspects to be changed from dumb easy to comically hard should always be a thing.
Should be allowed to go towards either extreme with any combination.

Like 10x more enemies on screen but have 50% less health but does 25% more damage. 400% increased drop rate.
Or Enemies have 500% health but you have 200% health or 10% health. 1% drop rate.

Whatever gets you off.
Set it and get going.

Last edited:
i love doing stuff like this. set a handicap, create a backstory for my "character"... have to make your own fun, you know?

for example, in dying light, i was only allowed to attack by throwing stuff. no melee or anything else allowed.

It's the reason I love Immersive Sim games. Playing no kill/no detection runs in Dishonored is so damn fun. Much easier to play those types of games with guns/weapons and just slaughter everyone.

Recently played through Arkham Knight on Hard and didn't give myself any of the batsuit +%melee/bullet absorption skills so you die in 2 shots or just getting hit 4 or 5 times.

I typically don't look at achievements when I play games, I happen to look at Half-Life 2 Ep. 1 achievement list and it has one for playing the entire episode having only shot 1 bullet. Which I thought sounded like a fun challenge and so I did that.

Last edited:
Kill everyone in Outer Worlds. It's a helluva lot of fun and fits in with the narrative that the serum turned you in to a murderer very well.

It's a handicap of sorts because you don't get any story lines or quest XP.

Swift_Star

Banned
Take a game with good combat and fight through it with a pistol, or don't level up your combat character stats too much, so it never becomes too easy.

The rush in gaming is the threat of getting taken out by enemies, I usually nerf my characters which improves a lot of games difficulty.

Have you tried this?

Beast Mode
giphy.gif
Good like trying to do that when playing Yakuza games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I played and finished Elden Ring without any summons or spirits. I think it's more fun that way.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Cut off your thumbs you pussies! It's the only way to prove you're the FUCKING BEST
Difficulty is about your own enjoyment, not proving your the best.

Kill everyone in Outer Worlds. It's a helluva lot of fun and fits in with the narrative that the serum turned you in to a murderer very well.

It's a handicap of sorts because you don't get any story lines or quest XP.
Yes, this.

Exactly the kind of beasting I'm talking about.

F31 Leopard

In Monster Hunter I never use OP mixed sets. I always play with full sets and see how long it takes me be beat a monster. I sometimes use elements they're resistant to as a handicap.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never done it.

But for party based RPGs (especially turn based ones), I'd like to see someone beat a game with only 1-2 character slots instead of a full party of 4.

Zannegan

Difficulty isn't the point so much as variety, but in any game with class customization, I always try come up with an off-the-wall concept for a character or class and try to find a way to make it work.

I especially love doing this in (casual lobbies of) create-a-class FPSs like CoD. Of course, if I'm actively hurting the team trying to make rocket rambo or hatchet ninja work, I'll switch back to a normal class and play tryhard for the remainder of the round. I don't want to wreck everyone else's fun. But if I can at least break even, then I feel like I've earned the right to keep playing that wierd style. I figure there's ranked lobbies and hero shooters for the folks who really care. *shrug*

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I play games in ways that make it more difficult but in a pseudo role playing kind of way, not specifically to make the game more difficult.

Xeaker

Not on first playthrough, but I did a few challenges in some games.
Like FF7 playing only with Cloud with no Materia.
FF9/BOF3 Low Level Challenge etc
Only normal sword in Onimusha 1

Duchess

It's always funny when you read about someone who got 85% of the way into a game, talking about how hard it is, only to discover they didn't know about the ability to apply upgrades :)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sometimes this can be nice, but i am a completionist.

Metroids Spacejump is something i could live without and makes fights a little bit more normal than being able to indefinitely hop around and kill everything with screw attack

Roni

Gold Member

Have you tried this?

Beast Mode
giphy.gif
I do, it's where it's at. I even have a guide for how to do it in MGSV.

I tried a lvl 1 DS3 run but I couldn't get past Dancer of the Boreal Valley, I got really close twice (1 hit from killing her) and then I gave up. Getting one shot get old fast.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I tried a lvl 1 DS3 run but I couldn't get past Dancer of the Boreal Valley, I got really close twice (1 hit from killing her) and then I gave up. Getting one shot get old fast.

My son finished DS1 on level 1. I told him he was crazy at first, but damn if he didn't prove me wrong.

Unintentionally, by saving all of my special items for the end of the game and then realizing I could have used them way earlier on way harder fights, because the final boss ended up being a joke.

My son finished DS1 on level 1. I told him he was crazy at first, but damn if he didn't prove me wrong.
What I liked about it is that it forces you to learn more about the game and to really understand the fights as well as the quickest way to access certain items. On a regular playthrough you are able to brute force your way to the end of the game while ignoring various mechanics, when you are level 1 you have to min max everything.

I might get back and try to finish my run one day using embers to get that 30% HP boost.

Last edited:

Koenigssee

Force buy every eco round in CSGO.

Suppressor + laser attachment on every gun possible in Rainbow 6 Siege. This actually makes you a better player as you are required to get that headshot ASAP before you lose the gunfight due to the lack of DPS and terrible recoil.

Bragr

Banned
i love doing stuff like this. set a handicap, create a backstory for my "character"... have to make your own fun, you know?

for example, in dying light, i was only allowed to attack by throwing stuff. no melee or anything else allowed.
What was the "backstory" for that?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not using all your best stuff because you are saving it for......never, youll finish the game and have never used those items....well done, you played yourself.

you-played-yourself.gif

Sentenza

Have you tried this?

Beast Mode
giphy.gif
Not a fan.
I like challenging games (to a degree) but at the same time I will always take any advantage I can get to curb-stomp any fucker in sight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom