• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui: shameless skank, skilled ninja, or both?

Mai's butt is...

• It's athletic and hot

• It's firm and sexy

• It's not firm, but that's a good thing

• It's flabby, but that's cute

• It's too athletic, not nice

• It's too flabby, not nice

Results are only viewable after voting.
41ZMEPGDRZL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This game actually had you seduce guards then stab them in the neck. Kind of surprised no other games ever used this for stealth or assassinations.
is this any good? I've always wanted to play this

Fuz

Banned
Always loved Mai since FF2.

Never really liked her playstyle, though, so she's not a character I used often. But her design is super cool and iconic.

This game actually had you seduce guards then stab them in the neck. Kind of surprised no other games ever used this for stealth or assassinations.

This looks quite cool and it needs a remake.

This game actually had you seduce guards then stab them in the neck.
I think I've read somewhere that seduction was actually a tactic often used by the kunoichi (who were more spies than warriors well like all ninjas).

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I think its a concept for female ninjas to show their skin and use sexuality as a weapon to prey their victims. Unless I'm wrong and this is just the usual fanservice.

You better never come to Brazil then. You gonna end up calling every girl or woman you find freak bait for pervs and gonna end up in jail.
lol yeah I know all about women in Brazil, going there was never on my list of things to do.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There is literally nothing special about her now considering videogame characters in non cucked countries usually look like this.

XFXAEn8.jpg

To call a character fictional character a whore for showing some tit is weird. (ah its Samus kun OP kek)

Last edited by a moderator:

lock2k

Banned
There is literally nothing special about her now considering videogame characters in non cucked countries usually look like this.

XFXAEn8.jpg

To call a character fictional character a whore for showing some tit is weird. (ah its Samus kun OP kek)
Non Cucked Countries. Now, this is some beautiful terminology. a toast to you.

Last edited:

Mexen

Can confirm, I focused more on her animations than my opponents. Coincidentally, I have never won a match as her. But, neither have I lost either. #BurningMai

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

The Obi Wan Kenobi "Now theres a name i..." was legit the first thing that came to mind when i saw this cover.

Was this any good?

Last edited:
Mai is a legend. Definitely one of the most iconic characters of all time and one of my favorites. She’s actually unique by today’s standards if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Vaelka

Mai is just Mai to me just like Chun is just Chun.
I really hate all of this labelling that people do with characters like these.

Mai to me is just a part of what makes for diverse characters and a unique character.
People who say otherwise and would say that she's the same as a character like Ivy for example don't really know what they're talking about and are just going '' sexy = the same ''. And Ivy is a pretty unique character too when you think about it, people often bring her up as an example of how '' female characters are all sexualized '' etc but can you really name another character that is genuinely the same as Ivy ( Bayonetta is the only one that comes close imo )? A character that has a similar design and persona? She's very unique and expressive which makes her memorable, and I don't see the problem with sexuality being one of the main ways in which she's expressive and unique.
It's as if you can play around with literally anything else in media but as soon as you touch on sex or womens bodies people start making a big deal out of it.
It's the same with body proportions, you can quite literally exaggerate every part of the human body but the moment that breasts are big people lose their minds and starts complaining about it and how it's '' unrealistic ''.

Characters like Mai and Ivy aren't '' skanks '' to me anymore than Ryu or most other male characters in fighting games are just '' stupid meatheads ''. Maybe this is '' too SJW '' for this forum, but I think that people just have very misogynistic views on women expressing themselves sexually and/ or being sexually active in real life and it then extends to video games too. If a male character is sexual and expresses himself sexually he is a stud and someone that people look up too because he's a guy that gets laid and that's awesome.

There's entire Hentai genres of games in Japan especially that quite literally revolve around being a dude that just gets laid with everyone, but no one labels that male character a '' slut ''. Quite the opposite people label the women that he sleeps with '' sluts '' even tho they only sleep with one person while he sleeps with EVERYONE.
But if it's a woman doing the same she gets shamed for it and people start pointing fingers calling her a slut and a '' skank ''.

People are just very judgemental overall but I think that people are especially judgemental against women who have a strong sexuality and it comes out a lot in gaming and I find it all to be pretty immature and annoying.
And in the end of the day I don't really attack characters that I don't like in this way. I can say that I don't like a character or that I find the character boring, but I don't lower myself to name-calling and moralizing about it.
I am actually quite conservative irl when it comes to sex and sexualization. But I really enjoy it in games and I still don't judge people who are different than me, and I don't understand why it's so hard for other people to do the same.

I suppose that long story short.
To me Mai is a fun and unique character. And if you actually think about how many sexy female characters there exists out there I don't think that it's quite as simple as just '' she's a skank and ppl are just horny '' or whatever people may want to say. And it's the same with Ivy in Soul Calibur or Cammy. Mai, Ivy and Cammy just transcends being '' just sexy ''. They ooze personality and fun in a way that others don't, characters that are even sexier.
And I don't see them using their sexuality and that being part of their designs as anything different than a male character having big muscles and just being angry and that being his personality. People just enjoy different things and I think that it's dumb to moralize or label things like this.

I also think that there are just really shitty people, both men and women that feel provoked by women being sexual. Women who are jealous and men who feel provoked because they probably don't get laid a lot irl and when they see a woman being sexual they feel provoked by it because they know that they can't get that. Ask yourselves why you call women names like this, they're not actually hurting anyone and they're just having fun. Calling them names directed at them you're the ones being aggressive and a douchebag.
If you get provoked by them then it really says more about you than it does them.

XFXAEn8.jpg

I kinda disagree, like I said I think that characters like Mai and Ivy transcend just simply being sexy or a '' waifu ''. They have very strong personalities and identities.
Mai is very playful and energetic and has a lot of iconic moves. Sure her personality revolves a lot around being sexy but again I see this as no different than a characters personality revolving around being an angry meathead. And I think that Ivy and Bayonetta are the two characters that have adopted the Dominatrix style in their personality and move-set the best out of any other characters and Ivy just ooze a lot of personality too.
There really is no other characters in gaming that is like her, she's very memorable and easily identifiable. Even if you didn't see her and you gave her move-set, voice acting, lines and personality to another model you'd still think '' that's Ivy ''. Even moreso perhaps for Mai because she has more iconic lines.
I don't think that you can say that for all characters really even in so called '' serious games ''.
Sure a character like Johnny in MK has an iconic and memorable personality and persona too, but how many of the characters actually do? There's a reason why the constant retcons don't cause more problems than they do and why people still like the characters, because they don't actually have strong personalities the way that Mai and Ivy do.

That's the funny thing really, Mai and Ivy have way stronger personalities and identities than almost the entire cast of a lot of '' serious games ''. But people still reduce them to '' they're just boobs '' and make fun of them. I dunno if that says more about those games or these characters really.

I think that characters like Mai and Ivy are just a lot more memorable and iconic for an actual reason while a lot of these '' generic waifus '' for a lack of a better term aren't.
People maybe don't think about it or don't understand it and just reduce it to '' cuz boobs '', but I really don't think that's why at all. Rather I think that it's just the overall package and presentation that makes them so distinct while a random waifu really isn't.

Vaelka

Well... She does practices Kunoichi after all.

In their case, everything is fair game, including using their charms to distract their opponents.

At least that's the justification behind her thing... The real reason as everyone knows is that she makes for a fantastic eye candy.

I kinda disagree with this because of what I said above. I just think that it's another way of building a fun persona just like how some people enjoy the '' angry or angsty meathead '' with big muscles etc. I think that people have a tendency to sorta dismiss the characters as just eye candy as soon as they have a sexuality and sexual presentation, but I really just see it as developers delivering another kind of fun that some people enjoy. Not everyone has the same idea of fun or power fantasy, I know a lot of women for example who are very afraid of being sexual in real life because they're afraid of being assaulted or because they have bad experience with men treating them poorly because of it. And they love to explore that side of themselves in video games because of that, because video games are a safe environment for them to do that.
It's like with Supergirl wearing a skirt for example, comics or games is a way for them to wear a skirt without having to worry about men being creeps about it or if someone can look up under it.
Some people sometimes bring that possibility up in character designs but there's another side to it too and how people want to escape from real life a little and just do fun things without having to worry about this.
And it's the same with Mai or Ivy in Soul Calibur, she's a way for a lot of women to escape from a lot of this and be sexual without having to worry about the judgements and dangers that come with that.

I think that people really don't give these characters enough credit when they just reduce them to '' they're eye candy ''.
I mean that's one way of looking at them I guess, but I think that people often forget that there are more than one way of looking at characters and I think that a lot of the developers also have bit more complex views on it than that.
I am sure that some devs too just want '' sexy chicks '' in their games and that's it, but I also find that a lot of devs do genuinely find them to be awesome and find feminine sexuality to be very exciting beyond just '' cuz fap ''.

I dunno if you're dismissing her to just simply being eye candy like that.
I am just talking about it in general because I do see this a lot. People do this with Ivy too and dismiss her as just being fanservice and nothing else, but no one does this when a male character is just the generic Samurai or buff dude who have way less of a distinct personality than Ivy does. That's fanservice too for a lot of people, an edgy dude in a skull mask with tactical gear and an assault rifle is fanservice for a lot of people who enjoy that. But people only really bring this up when it's a woman who has a sexual presentation.

I suppose that what I am getting at is that the '' othering '' is what bothers me. People only make a deal out of it with characters like these, but they don't seem to realize that this argument could be made about pretty much every character. I mean I am sure that what goes through devs heads a lot too is that they just want to add an edgy ninja character too because some people think that it's cool and it sells. Devs do this all the time and just add characters because their marketing department tells them that it's going to sell. But only when it's female characters with sexuality people bring attention to it when in reality it happens all the time.
And a lot of people just have sexual personalities too, it doesn't somehow have to be some kind of a special reason for it. It's just a personality trait like any other.

I mean if you actually start asking the same questions with a lot of other characters and want '' justifications '' for why they are the way that they are, then you'll often find those justifications to be quite lacking. But again people only bring this up when it's about women being sexual, then suddenly people want that to be justified but you can have characters be totally random in pretty much every other way imaginable and no one seems to care.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordKasual

Banned
So, what is your take on Mai? Is she a skilled, female ninja, or is she only out there to try to charm Andy into marriying her? And why is she the only character in the King of Fighters series who has a jiggling booty? Why not Angel? Yuri? Athena? Also, how does she stack up to Chun Li, and which character do you like the best -and most importantly - why?
Well... She does practices Kunoichi after all.
PS: I give Street Fighter a lot of flak, but I'll be honest when I say that at least, especially in the 4rth iteration, it's the only Japanese fighter where the female fighters have the necessary muscle to justify their strength.
In other fighters, Including KoF, they are photo-models who don't appear to have trained a day in their life, that pretty much win by doing magic pirouettes that for some reason hit like a truck!

^ This.

Capcom learned a long time ago that Sex Appeal is fine as long as it has some believable functional use.

Chun-Li is fine as hell, and she can crush your head with her thighs.
Cammy's outfit is ridiculous, but so is her muscle tone.
Laura's sex appeal is crazy but she's....brazillian and they do that, so it's okay. Also, she can clearly squat more than you and is believably built like a grappler.
Karin = rich white girl, but also look at her body in a swimsuit, she's fit as FUCK.

Mai's character design has never evolved past just looking like a ninja cosplay model with big ass tits.

Dead or Alive has the same issue -- the characters are called "fighters", they animate like "fighters", but they do not LOOK like fighters. They're cosplay models that for some reason do loads of damage.

Tekken has somehow managed to dodge this as well, probably for the same reason. The women are heavily slanted towards sex appeal, but enough attention was given to their animations/body type to make it just believable enough. Where they fail with mass/tone (Capcom), they make up for in their movesets (women power hits are generally knees, elbows, full-body strikes, ect).

Lili for example is a lolita ballerina girl with a fighting style that could never work....but she's like 6ft tall and literally throws her body around with her attacks.....for some reason it just works.

Last edited:

Sybb

Banned
Mai is just Mai to me just like Chun is just Chun.
I really hate all of this labelling that people do with characters like these.

Mai to me is just a part of what makes for diverse characters and a unique character.
People who say otherwise and would say that she's the same as a character like Ivy for example don't really know what they're talking about and are just going '' sexy = the same ''. And Ivy is a pretty unique character too when you think about it, people often bring her up as an example of how '' female characters are all sexualized '' etc but can you really name another character that is genuinely the same as Ivy ( Bayonetta is the only one that comes close imo )? A character that has a similar design and persona? She's very unique and expressive which makes her memorable, and I don't see the problem with sexuality being one of the main ways in which she's expressive and unique.
It's as if you can play around with literally anything else in media but as soon as you touch on sex or womens bodies people start making a big deal out of it.
It's the same with body proportions, you can quite literally exaggerate every part of the human body but the moment that breasts are big people lose their minds and starts complaining about it and how it's '' unrealistic ''.

Characters like Mai and Ivy aren't '' skanks '' to me anymore than Ryu or most other male characters in fighting games are just '' stupid meatheads ''. Maybe this is '' too SJW '' for this forum, but I think that people just have very misogynistic views on women expressing themselves sexually and/ or being sexually active in real life and it then extends to video games too. If a male character is sexual and expresses himself sexually he is a stud and someone that people look up too because he's a guy that gets laid and that's awesome.

There's entire Hentai genres of games in Japan especially that quite literally revolve around being a dude that just gets laid with everyone, but no one labels that male character a '' slut ''. Quite the opposite people label the women that he sleeps with '' sluts '' even tho they only sleep with one person while he sleeps with EVERYONE.
But if it's a woman doing the same she gets shamed for it and people start pointing fingers calling her a slut and a '' skank ''.

People are just very judgemental overall but I think that people are especially judgemental against women who have a strong sexuality and it comes out a lot in gaming and I find it all to be pretty immature and annoying.
And in the end of the day I don't really attack characters that I don't like in this way. I can say that I don't like a character or that I find the character boring, but I don't lower myself to name-calling and moralizing about it.
I am actually quite conservative irl when it comes to sex and sexualization. But I really enjoy it in games and I still don't judge people who are different than me, and I don't understand why it's so hard for other people to do the same.

I suppose that long story short.
To me Mai is a fun and unique character. And if you actually think about how many sexy female characters there exists out there I don't think that it's quite as simple as just '' she's a skank and ppl are just horny '' or whatever people may want to say. And it's the same with Ivy in Soul Calibur or Cammy. Mai, Ivy and Cammy just transcends being '' just sexy ''. They ooze personality and fun in a way that others don't, characters that are even sexier.
And I don't see them using their sexuality and that being part of their designs as anything different than a male character having big muscles and just being angry and that being his personality. People just enjoy different things and I think that it's dumb to moralize or label things like this.

I also think that there are just really shitty people, both men and women that feel provoked by women being sexual. Women who are jealous and men who feel provoked because they probably don't get laid a lot irl and when they see a woman being sexual they feel provoked by it because they know that they can't get that. Ask yourselves why you call women names like this, they're not actually hurting anyone and they're just having fun. Calling them names directed at them you're the ones being aggressive and a douchebag.
If you get provoked by them then it really says more about you than it does them.

I kinda disagree, like I said I think that characters like Mai and Ivy transcend just simply being sexy or a '' waifu ''. They have very strong personalities and identities.
Mai is very playful and energetic and has a lot of iconic moves. Sure her personality revolves a lot around being sexy but again I see this as no different than a characters personality revolving around being an angry meathead. And I think that Ivy and Bayonetta are the two characters that have adopted the Dominatrix style in their personality and move-set the best out of any other characters and Ivy just ooze a lot of personality too.
There really is no other characters in gaming that is like her, she's very memorable and easily identifiable. Even if you didn't see her and you gave her move-set, voice acting, lines and personality to another model you'd still think '' that's Ivy ''. Even moreso perhaps for Mai because she has more iconic lines.
I don't think that you can say that for all characters really even in so called '' serious games ''.
Sure a character like Johnny in MK has an iconic and memorable personality and persona too, but how many of the characters actually do? There's a reason why the constant retcons don't cause more problems than they do and why people still like the characters, because they don't actually have strong personalities the way that Mai and Ivy do.

That's the funny thing really, Mai and Ivy have way stronger personalities and identities than almost the entire cast of a lot of '' serious games ''. But people still reduce them to '' they're just boobs '' and make fun of them. I dunno if that says more about those games or these characters really.

I think that characters like Mai and Ivy are just a lot more memorable and iconic for an actual reason while a lot of these '' generic waifus '' for a lack of a better term aren't.
People maybe don't think about it or don't understand it and just reduce it to '' cuz boobs '', but I really don't think that's why at all. Rather I think that it's just the overall package and presentation that makes them so distinct while a random waifu really isn't.
I think the reason for this is because women's looks means more to men than men's looks mean to women. If you have a woman dressed like Mai, the focus will always be on her body. That's also why women are more often accused of flaunting it, because people understands why they do it. They do it for easy attention or in Mai's case, to lower the focus of her opponent. Just look at YouTube. How many thousands of women post half naked videos in hope to get compliments about their bodies to boost their confidence? It's the easiest way for them to do it. Men can't do it that easily, and men always have to fight much harder for female attention than vice versa.

There are plenty of fully clothed women in the KoF games. But Mai's thing is that she lets her butt hang out and literally jiggle like a pudding. Compare to Samus. When she's in her power suit, we focus on her powers and her abilities. But as soon as she shows herself in the zero suit, the focus turns to her body. That's just the way nature works. Of course, you'll have Resetera people who refuse to admit they find Zero Suit Samus or Mai sexy, but that's mostly because of group pressure - even if they do find them sexy, they can't possible admit it among the group on that board.

Sybb

Banned
No offence, but I can't help but wonder that if people in the US and UK weren't so overweight, would they still think Mai's jiggly butt look sexy? Because I remember in the past (20 years ago) people could actually say that Mai's butt was flabby and that was a perfectly legit opinion. Now, if you say that, people who love fat women call you a homosexual. XD

I don't know, what do you think?

GymWolf

I'm just here to say that I have this beautiful figure of Mai Shiranui right beside my bed and is one of my favorite character in the beat' em up world! Oh, it's the original model, not a bootleg. :cool:

a52c7c7dc77887956cf4706fd6bc4721.jpg
the face is a little strange...

Top Bottom