• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madoka Magica "Concept Movie" Short Film Announced, Possible Lead-In To Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

madoka.jpg

Animation studio SHAFT will unveil a short concept movie for a new story related to Puella Magi Madoka Magica for its "~Commemorating 40 Years of Shaft~ Madogatari" event in Tokyo on Friday. The movie hints at a new project for the franchise, but nothing has been officially announced.

Magica Quartet—the team behind the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime, consisting of director Akiyuki Simbo, character designer Ume Aoki, scriptwriter Gen Urobuchi (Nitroplus), and animation studio Shaft—have continued plans for a new work since the Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part 3: Rebellion film opened in October 2013. The concept movie was born from their meetings.

Simbo created the storyboards and served as chief director for the short, while series director Yukihiro Miyamoto returned to direct. Composer Yuki Kajiura contributed a new musical piece. Other returning staff members include:

Alternate Space Design: Gekidan Inu Curry
Animation director: Junichiro Taniguchi
Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka
Sound Production: Rakuonsha
Animation Production: SHAFT

The following cast members from previous anime recorded new lines for the concept movie:

Aoi Yūki as Madoka Kaname
Chiwa Saito as Homura Akemi
Kaori Mizuhashi as Mami Tomoe
Eri Kitamura as Sayaka Miki
Ai Nonaka as Kyōko Sakura
Emiri Katō as Kyubey
Kana Asumi as Nagisa Momoe

The original television anime premiered in January 2011, and Crunchyroll later streamed the series. Aniplex of America released the television series, two compilation films, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part 3: Rebellion sequel film in North America.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-26/madoka-magica-concept-movie-hints-at-new-work/.95830

So a short movie featuring the whole Madoka cast, which all evidence points to a sequel tease at the end, either a new movie, 2nd season TV series, or possibly something else.

I've been highly anticipating the sequel announcement, and it looks like the event this weekend is going to deliver as I had hoped. That image alone has me positively frothing: if it means a more ballet-focused story that is essentially Gen Urobuchi's Black Swan, this could be the absolute best swan song (ha) for this series.

I'll leave it up to you to decide on open spoilers or not, but either way, hype levels are set to max.

please please please Sayaka vs Homura

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Some people think Ecchi shows are killing anime, but I'm beginning to think Madoka is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Maybe they can fix the story after the 3rd movie screwed it all up.

I still havent watched the movies

were they good

The first two films are just recaps of the series, the 3rd one is the only one with anything new. It's very decisive. Some people like it, some people loath it.

I thought the movie totally screwed over the well crafted ending of the show and doesn't fit in well at all.

SOLDIER

I still havent watched the movies

were they good

Very much so, recaps included.

Rebellion did some bold stuff that angered some fans, but I'm part of the group that thought it was brilliant.

If nothing else I am totally on board to see how they wrap it up.

co1onel

As much as I wanted Rebellion to be the end of the series, they purposefully left it open so they could continue the series. I hope they go in a good direction with this.

Moonlight

Banned
It was way too much to expect they'd ever let this show die with the barest amount of dignity once its' success became clear, but still.

Eurgh.

SOLDIER

Now we're talking. In theory at least. What does a concept movie actually mean?

Short teaser film, most likely.

They wont let this anime RIP.

I'm ok with that ... but I never felt it needed more story to tell.

I'm of the camp that loved Rebellion and also loved the sequel hook they introduced in the end.

That said, I do firmly hope that whatever new project they're doing wraps up the franchise forever. I have no desire for any spinoffs afterward, ESPECIALLY any that feature new characters. The original story was built entirely around the original five girls, so I have no desire to see a new cast of characters.

Gravidee

Rebellion would be anger inducing if that was the last of Madoka. But if there's more after that, there's a chance at redemption. It didn't seem like it would really be the end anyways.

SOLDIER

Rebellion would be anger inducing if that was the last of Madoka. But if there's more after that, there's a chance at redemption. It didn't seem like it would really be the end anyways.

I've seen a large amount of people insist that Rebellion had the perfect ending on the account that

Homura won

Unsurprisingly, they've also been the most vocal against a sequel taking place afterward, since that would technically mean that

Homura would lose

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Eh. The anime wrapped up very nicely. The movies were fine, but unnecessary. I'd rather prefer they just move on to something else.

Thoraxes

Eh. The anime wrapped up very nicely. The movies were fine, but unnecessary. I'd rather prefer they just move on to something else.

They've already got plenty in the works.

Including Kizumonogatari in three films.

Finishing out all the Monogatari materials.

Prism Nana OVA.

I've seen a large amount of people insist that Rebellion had the perfect ending on the account that

Homura won

Unsurprisingly, they've also been the most vocal against a sequel taking place afterward, since that would technically mean that

Homura would lose
I actually thought Rebellion had the perfect ending, because
Homura knows her plan is insane and outright says it will fall apart in the long run
, but the film didn't have to just show it.

I guess now they'll boringly just show it, or Urobutcher will do what he does best and subvert everything and everyone.

Anyone else prefer the compilation movies over the show? Way better production value, better music, and WAYYYYY better dub work.

And lol, alot cheaper to get the limited edition blue ray movie set then getting the TV volumes.

Madoka should have been left alone after the original series. Rebellion sucks. Hopefully they can redeem it with this but I doubt it.

HOLY SHIT HYPE!

I am one of these people that consider the anime it's own ending and the movies are just for milking some more... which I don't mind, because I love the art style, music and characters. Also Homura did nothing wrong.

I didn't look at the date when I posted, it's back from like March and is a fan trailer lol

I hope it has nothing to do with Rebellion or I might just have to jump off my balcony. Its wishful thinking, but my heart can't take that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom