• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Review Thread

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I love that you get Take on Me during the Karting scene. I never knew I wanted it, now I demand it as a track in the next Mario Kart game.

Cashon

Banned
I finally watched this last night. I don't know how it was so well-reviewed. It's a standard Illumination kids movie that uses the flimsiest of plots to loosely tie together a bunch of visual references. It's technically very well crafted, but I thought it was overall a bad movie. It's fine that it's a kids movie - not everything has to be made for me - but there are far better children's movies that they could've used for inspiration.

Pejo

I saw this today on Netflix with the gf. Terrible movie. There were lots of memberberries and references though, so I guess Millennial dads ate that shit up. Peach was damn near insufferable with her new attitude, and the voice acting was mostly bad except for like Toad (Key nailed it). Everyone else sounded just like themselves poorly reading a script. I was shocked at how bad Jack Black did Bowser, I assumed he was going to be a slam dunk.

Visuals were ok but it was just "off" enough from the general Mario artstyle that it bugged the shit out of me the whole time. Like why just go 80% of the way there? Reminded me of how awful the original movie Sonic looked.

Plot was stupid but I expected that. I enjoyed the depressing star but they milked it just a bit too much so that by the end it lost the humor. Then it felt like they were just beating us over the head with it, like "HEY LOOK IT'S STILL FUNNY RIGHT?" Just overall felt like a waste of my time, and I'm shocked it was so successful.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I saw this today on Netflix with the gf. Terrible movie. There were lots of memberberries and references though, so I guess Millennial dads ate that shit up. Peach was damn near insufferable with her new attitude, and the voice acting was mostly bad except for like Toad (Key nailed it). Everyone else sounded just like themselves poorly reading a script. I was shocked at how bad Jack Black did Bowser, I assumed he was going to be a slam dunk.

Visuals were ok but it was just "off" enough from the general Mario artstyle that it bugged the shit out of me the whole time. Like why just go 80% of the way there? Reminded me of how awful the original movie Sonic looked.

Plot was stupid but I expected that. I enjoyed the depressing star but they milked it just a bit too much so that by the end it lost the humor. Then it felt like they were just beating us over the head with it, like "HEY LOOK IT'S STILL FUNNY RIGHT?" Just overall felt like a waste of my time, and I'm shocked it was so successful.
Here is a man with no joy.

Pejo

Here is a man with no joy.
The Grinch Film GIF by The Good Films

The comparitor is here is the Hoskins travesty not Shawshank Redemption.

It was a fantastic kids movie and deserved every bit of success it received.
For kids it's fine, but kids have a very low set of standards. Kids can watch videos about singing shapes and colors with faces on repeat for 8 hours. Plenty of movies hold up outside of just handwaving that it's for children.

Anyways, with as much bluster and bravado the movie got from fans and critics, I just expected something that was going to wow me.

nkarafo

The worst part for me by far was the "remember this trendy pop song?" soundtrack and pop-culture references that weren't necessarily Nintendo references. I gave up midway through the movie because these made me cringe.

Also, Peach was your usual, modern movie Mary Sue.

It was a fantastic kids movie and deserved every bit of success it received.

And how does it fare if you don't add the "its for kids" label, to lower the standards?

I mean, we used to have movies that were good enough to not have to even mention this. Toy Story, Aladdin, Lion King... I don't remember anyone ever having to lower the standards to justify those.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Grinch Film GIF by The Good Films

For kids it's fine, but kids have a very low set of standards. Kids can watch videos about singing shapes and colors with faces on repeat for 8 hours. Plenty of movies hold up outside of just handwaving that it's for children.

Anyways, with as much bluster and bravado the movie got from fans and critics, I just expected something that was going to wow me.
You should have gone to the theater.

The worst part for me by far was the "remember this trendy pop song?" soundtrack and pop-culture references that weren't necessarily Nintendo references. I gave up midway through the movie because these made me cringe.

Also, Peach was your usual, modern movie Mary Sue.

And how does it fare if you don't add the "its for kids" label, to lower the standards?

I mean, we used to have movies that were good enough to not have to even mention this. Toy Story, Aladdin, Lion King... I don't remember anyone ever having to lower the standards to justify those.
If you watch the movie with your kids, having introduced them to Nintendo previously it will be a great deal of fun. The references are spot on, it looks and sounds great and has a sense of humour all the family can enjoy.

It is better than 95% of kids CGI movies. I know as I have suffered through hundreds of them multiple times. Mario is not as good as Shrek 2 (the goat in my book) but is far better than Dispicable Me, Frozen 2, Sharktale etc.

Applying standards of absolute classics such as Lion King / Aladin is just as troublesome for modern Disney as anyone else. But even they are taken as "kids movies", as the script (how they try to engage the whole audience), performances (effort considering it would rarely be an artists defining role) and visuals are all taken in that context and are all held up highly today as they exceeded expectations of a kids movie on all those fronts.

The joyless Mario was had back in the day, it was more gritty, more adult and a truly fucking grim film. A travestly second only to MJ's Moonwalker.

The success and acclaim may partly be due to the slate of dross being pumped out the last few years and a competent fun family movie being a welcome relief; but even if this came out around toy story it would still have been a huge hit.

Parents, I recommend this movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom