• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumino City |OT| A gorgeous handmade adventure game in your hands (iOS, PC)

lTVhy66.png

This game actually released on PC in late 2014, but finally came to mobile today, and is absolutely deserving of an OT and more attention. I had gotten it on Steam during the Summer Sale, but the puzzles are really hands-on and tactile, definitely better suited for touch rather than mouse

$4.99 (iPad, iPhone)
Also available on Steam, Humble. GOG

IOS Trailer | Making of Lumino City | Launch Trailer

Lumino City is a BAFTA award-winning handmade puzzle adventure game. By exploring the city, and using your ingenuity piece together all sorts of puzzling mechanisms to help the people who live in its unique world. Discover gardens in the sky, towers marooned high on an immense waterwheel, and houses dug precariously into cliffs. To create the environment, a ten foot high model city was built by hand and by laser cutter, with each motor and light wired up individually, bringing the scenes to luminous life.

NOW FOR iOS - A PERFECT EXPERIENCE FOR TOUCHSCREENS
With a seamless interface optimised for iPhone and iPad and tactile puzzles made from real materials, you'll feel like you're diving into a miniature world of physical playthings.

A TRULY UNIQUE WAY TO MAKE A GAME
Everything you see on screen was made using paper, cardboard and glue. The process resulted in the building of a 10 foot high model city, using laser cutting plus miniature lights and motors to bring it to life.

AN ENTIRELY HANDMADE CITY
Everything you see on screen was made using paper, cardboard and glue, miniature lights and motors. State of Play collaborated with award-winning architects, fine-artists, prop-makers and animators, each discipline brought something unique to the design and execution of the finished game.

A UNIQUELY BEAUTIFUL WORLD TO EXPLORE
Venture beyond the city gates to discover gardens in the sky, boats marooned high on an immense waterwheel, and houses dug precariously into cliffs.

A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE
Lumino City continues where the prequel Lume left off. As Lumi welcomes Grandad back at the end of Lume, she is swiftly catapulted into a new epic journey and a hunt for Grandad after his dramatic kidnap. Exploring the unusual dwellings beyond the city gates and finding out more about her intriguing Grandad's life along the way. Is he all he seems?

AWE INSPIRING PUZZLES
Play with real objects within each scene. Control windmills in the clouds, provide power to a house using only lemons plus your own ingenuity, and work out how to win at the most puzzling pinball table ever created.

GjFeBnF.jpg

RECORD AND SHARE
New for iOS 9, use Replay Kit to screen record full motion video of the wonders you discover, then share it with other players and viewers online and on your social networks.

iCLOUD SYNCING
Switch play between all your iOS devices and pick up where you left off.

FAST DOWNLOAD, BETTER PERFORMANCE.
Lumino City uses the latest iOS9 App Thinning technology to ensure you download only what you need. Hard disk space is saved, downloads are faster.

OqSoD6s.jpg
5iMC9uF.jpg

yQfX76K.gif
UGR7iCq.gif

Dalek

Is this more of a Minecraft-type game where it's a sandbox you can create things-or are there puzzles to solve?

The visuals for this game are amazing, I'm having fun just looking at the pieces of each setting. Props to the camera guys who pulled off the motion capture.

FoneBone

Can't resist this for $1. Anybody here actually played it on PC? It seems like it got mostly ignored at the time, sadly.

Cheers for bringing this to my attention and kudos on giving this game some more visibility and love. It looks profoundly beautiful and visually stunning. Looking forward to trying this. Anyone know if a Radeon 7XXX HD series GPU can handle this? The system requirements on the Steam don't list a GPU or minimum spec Processor.

Cheers for bringing this to my attention and kudos on giving this game some more visibility and love. It looks profoundly beautiful and visually stunning. Looking forward to trying this. Anyone know if a Radeon 7XXX HD series GPU can handle this? The system requirements on the Steam don't list a GPU or minimum spec Processor.
I'm on a laptop with an Intel i5 and Intel HD 5500, and it plays fine. Not sure how that compares to your specs

Haunted

As far as actual "handcrafted" games go (as if there were more than a handful of those out there anyway), this one's really, really nicely done.

If you enjoy games where you can - as cliché as that sounds - really feel the love and hard work they put into the production and creation of these assets, this is the way to go.

The website also has some cool behind the scenes stuff if you're interested. Also, special shoutout to one of the coolest hint systems ever.

Chopper

So, this is a fucking beautiful little game.

But what's the right way to play? Using the handbook, or without? Sometimes it gives you a handy hint for a puzzle which would otherwise be impossible, or require a huge amount of trial and error, and sometimes it simply spells out the solution for you. My only gripe.

I find myself only playing it in 5 minute chunks, because I don't want to finish it too soon!

So, this is a fucking beautiful little game.

But what's the right way to play? Using the handbook, or without? Sometimes it gives you a handy hint for a puzzle which would otherwise be impossible, or require a huge amount of trial and error, and sometimes it simply spells out the solution for you. My only gripe.

I find myself only playing it in 5 minute chunks, because I don't want to finish it too soon!
Without of course, the handbook can too often just spill out the whole solution. You'll feel that much better when you figure out the puzzle by yourself. :)

Just saw this featured on the App Store. Bought so fast. Can't wait to finish work and play oh wait why am I on Gaf if I'm working bye.

Afro

One of the most beautiful games ever made, period. Got really excited every time Lumi entered a room because the interiors are all so interesting and super detailed. Sound design is also incredibly on point. Can't wait to see what State of Play brings in '16. Wouldn't mind a Lumi 3!

Play this game, people.

This game is incredibly charming, from start to end, but I found that actually playing it was rather frustrating (on PC).

Exit zones were poorly marked (and in one case an edge was wrongly marked as an exit), and I frequently had Lumia go to the wrong place when I clicked somewhere, which meant a lot of trips up and down stairs and ladders. And while most puzzles were pretty good, others involved tedious busywork (
e.g. the guitar, the Morse code, and the password puzzles
), where the solution was simple, but actually carrying it out took more work than felt worthwhile. Also, the
rotating house puzzle made me salty, since I still don't see how hammering nails through the ceiling, and into a piece of furniture, would actually keep it secure when turned upside down

It's the first time where I want to recommend a game, but not recommend actually playing it. Watch a Let's Play instead.

Top Bottom