• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: God of War (Spoilers)

I finally reached the secret ending, and Oh BOY. What a game this has been.

First of all, let me talk a bit about the visuals. Imagine jumping straight from 3DS and PSP visuals to a PS4 game that's among the most beautiful on the system. I've been blown away time and again all the way through this game, I can't start to imagine how much work went into creating the environments. Many areas are breathtaking, the constructions and the lake in Alfheim, the way to the top of the mountain, the place around the giant turtle, Thamu's corpse, and many others. The puzzles for the most part were fun, even the Nornir chests were satisfying to open.

The combat is great too. Playing as Kratos is incredibly satisfying thanks to the awesome animations. Runic attacks are epic as hell--heck, even the shield has some sick moves! The zoomed in camera can be annoying at times, you have to move it around or do the instant turn-around to see what's going on behind, but nothing that ruined my enjoyment of battles. Finishing off enemies with R3 adds to the spectacle and Godly strength of Kratos.

Speaking of which, the sequence where Kratos goes back to get the Blades of Chaos is probably my favorite in the game. There is nothing you can do during the short trip on the boat but the synchro of Kratos and YOU taking a moment to ponder what just happened to Atreus, while the weather trembles and darkens under the wrath of the gods, made for a memorable scene. The Blades of Chaos come at the perfect time to add variety to combat which would become too repetitive with the axe alone.

It's just a bit of a shame that this huge buildup gets no real payoff, in the end you just settle things with Baldur and complete your journey. The final battle with him was riveting though I wish I could fight Thamur's corpse as well.

This brings me to the biggest criticism I have for the game. Like many others, I'm disappointed in the lack of enemy variety, especially when it comes to the bosses. The giant bird in the distance should've been the boss of that area. Instead it's a troll. Likewise, the two guardians of Tyr's vault should have been anything but palette swaps of trolls. Huge missed opporunity if you ask me. You reach the end of an area that was nice to traverse and you know it's going to be another troll. The dev team should have saved some of the time and effort spent on optional areas to create two story-related boss fights. I know this game was a gargantuan project and that compromises had to be made at some point. I wish the next game implements that criticism which was voiced by many on the internet.

That being said, all encounters with Baldur, as well as the dragon, are fantastic. Even the sequence with Baldur on the back of his dragon, despite not being a boss fight, was thrilling and I didn't mind the QTE brawl at all. As somone who practices martial arts, I enjoyed that barehanded block-dodge-attack exchange as it felt real. The dragon boss too was extremely impressive, especially the size and level of detail of its model. The moment his head drops dead with Kratos standing between the jaws... Wow. Great scene direction right there.

A few words about the writing. While the development of Atreus can be abrupt at times, and some plot points can make you raise an eyebrow (how did Baldur escape Helheim?), but the dialogues between Kratos and Atreus are excellent, all the way till the end where he explains the story behind the name Atreus. The BOY is annoying on several occasion but he grew on me so yeah, good job writing team. The dwarves too have lots of personality and a surprising amount of lines. Mimir is an unexpected yet excellent companion, I'm glad he is still alive by the end and hope we'll see more of him in the future, hopefully with a new body. I really enjoyed all the dialogues while travelling on the boat or walking around. Honestly, games get criticized for the sections where you walk around while characters talk, but I don't mind them at all as long as said characters are interesting and have a good dynamic.

All in all I had a wonderful time with GoW (I don't think there's a western game I'll enjoy more). I can't wait for the sequel on PS5!!

P.S. That Thor visit was better than any stinger in the MCU. Imagine GoW 5 starting with a fight against him.
P.P.S. Who shot the harpoons on the boat in Helheim?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
My GOTG, did you do the Valkyrie fights yet? They are fantastic and each one is unique with their own helmet design...

Releasing the dragons was also very cool and the way the hub world works is fantastic, that you can use the portal but Midgard also opens up as the Serpent moves and you figure out how to use the platform etc.

Combat was also so layered and you really find that out going against the harder enemies, like the Valkyrie and the trials of muspelheim.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like God of War (2018), to me the combat is great but my issue is as good as the actual combat is other than optional Valkyrie fights, there not that many fun enemies and boss to fight with, especially the fact they keep throwing that Troll for you to fight.

As for story, I enjoyed that too but my only issue is I though the biggest fear Kratos has would be that he killed his family, thats the nightmare he tried forget through out the games and why his white skin is always reminder of that........but instead its about him killing Zeus.....why?

Last edited:
My GOTG, did you do the Valkyrie fights yet? They are fantastic and each one is unique with their own helmet design...

Releasing the dragons was also very cool and the way the hub world works is fantastic, that you can use the portal but Midgard also opens up as the Serpent moves and you figure out how to use the platform etc.

Combat was also so layered and you really find that out going against the harder enemies, like the Valkyrie and the trials of muspelheim.
I beat two Valkyries, it was a lot of fun but I'm not sure if I'll fight them all. The prerequisite for the one in Muspelheim (completing many trials) dampened my excitement.

I freed all the dragons, on one hand I wanted to fight them, on the other hand it's nice to have a section where both you and the mob enemies can get hit by a common threat.

I'm ready to move on to another game, but my next batch of games has yet to be delivered and it's getting really frustrating...

Guilty_AI

I've been playing it recently too, and while i can say i'm enjoying it so far i can't really throw the same amount of praise others have.

Visuals are undoubtly the strongest part. Level and map design are also pretty good with all the secrets and puzzles, as well as the fact it only includes meaningful content. Combat is cool but lack of enemy variety has been making it grow stale (also that fucking camera), whenever they want a bigger challenge they just throw at you the same enemies with higher level. Boss fights have also been pretty weak, especially when i consider that was one of the strongest points of the previous trilogy. I'm also finding the story somewhat weak so far, there are some cool moments like the stories being told in the boat, but i feel they're relying too much on our previous familiarity with kratos and fan service. Side characters and villains feel uninteresting, and while i get the praise for Atreus he just hasn't been an interesting character so far, rather, it feels like his whole purpose there is just to give Kratos a setting rather than being his own.

Overall, its a good game. I still can't give a fullfledge opinion on it but I've been feeling it was pretty overrated.

Last edited:

Fake

Is a great game and have an amazing combat system. My only complain is the trash talk sometimes inside the battle make me confuse about the paterns (WATCH OUT, AHHHHH, LOOK OUT, INCOMING). They really need to tone down the conversation inside the battle.

As much people complain with the enemies variety with I agree btw, never get my attention.

killatopak

Yeah, I got my ass handed by the final Valkyrie. I still haven’t finished her out.

One problem I had with the game was lack of enemy variety which hopefully they would be able to fix on the next game.

Going from 3DS to this masterpiece? I can only beg to be reborn to experience a sensation like that.

unnamed.jpg

My OLED just arrived, I may do the same. Good idea.

You haven't beaten Sigrun? No way....

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Going from 3DS to this masterpiece? I can only beg to be reborn to experience a sensation like that.

unnamed.jpg

You haven't beaten Sigrun? No way....
Oh, I have. I meant I will play the game again to see it on OLED. Hopefully they have a patch for PS5 too..

saintjules

Good to hear..I had seen a review or two saying motion was better on CX but color was a bit brighter on C9, so I was confused on which was more beneficial.

Yeah I heard that too. Not to derail too much, but check out HDTVTest when you have time. I trust Vincent on his thoughts.

This also does some comparisons between both models

Last edited:

Brock2621

I finally reached the secret ending, and Oh BOY. What a game this has been.

First of all, let me talk a bit about the visuals. Imagine jumping straight from 3DS and PSP visuals to a PS4 game that's among the most beautiful on the system. I've been blown away time and again all the way through this game, I can't start to imagine how much work went into creating the environments. Many areas are breathtaking, the constructions and the lake in Alfheim, the way to the top of the mountain, the place around the giant turtle, Thamu's corpse, and many others. The puzzles for the most part were fun, even the Nornir chests were satisfying to open.

The combat is great too. Playing as Kratos is incredibly satisfying thanks to the awesome animations. Runic attacks are epic as hell--heck, even the shield has some sick moves! The zoomed in camera can be annoying at times, you have to move it around or do the instant turn-around to see what's going on behind, but nothing that ruined my enjoyment of battles. Finishing off enemies with R3 adds to the spectacle and Godly strength of Kratos.

Speaking of which, the sequence where Kratos goes back to get the Blades of Chaos is probably my favorite in the game. There is nothing you can do during the short trip on the boat but the synchro of Kratos and YOU taking a moment to ponder what just happened to Atreus, while the weather trembles and darkens under the wrath of the gods, made for a memorable scene. The Blades of Chaos come at the perfect time to add variety to combat which would become too repetitive with the axe alone.

It's just a bit of a shame that this huge buildup gets no real payoff, in the end you just settle things with Baldur and complete your journey. The final battle with him was riveting though I wish I could fight Thamur's corpse as well.

This brings me to the biggest criticism I have for the game. Like many others, I'm disappointed in the lack of enemy variety, especially when it comes to the bosses. The giant bird in the distance should've been the boss of that area. Instead it's a troll. Likewise, the two guardians of Tyr's vault should have been anything but palette swaps of trolls. Huge missed opporunity if you ask me. You reach the end of an area that was nice to traverse and you know it's going to be another troll. The dev team should have saved some of the time and effort spent on optional areas to create two story-related boss fights. I know this game was a gargantuan project and that compromises had to be made at some point. I wish the next game implements that criticism which was voiced by many on the internet.

That being said, all encounters with Baldur, as well as the dragon, are fantastic. Even the sequence with Baldur on the back of his dragon, despite not being a boss fight, was thrilling and I didn't mind the QTE brawl at all. As somone who practices martial arts, I enjoyed that barehanded block-dodge-attack exchange as it felt real. The dragon boss too was extremely impressive, especially the size and level of detail of its model. The moment his head drops dead with Kratos standing between the jaws... Wow. Great scene direction right there.

A few words about the writing. While the development of Atreus can be abrupt at times, and some plot points can make you raise an eyebrow (how did Baldur escape Helheim?), but the dialogues between Kratos and Atreus are excellent, all the way till the end where he explains the story behind the name Atreus. The BOY is annoying on several occasion but he grew on me so yeah, good job writing team. The dwarves too have lots of personality and a surprising amount of lines. Mimir is an unexpected yet excellent companion, I'm glad he is still alive by the end and hope we'll see more of him in the future, hopefully with a new body. I really enjoyed all the dialogues while travelling on the boat or walking around. Honestly, games get criticized for the sections where you walk around while characters talk, but I don't mind them at all as long as said characters are interesting and have a good dynamic.

All in all I had a wonderful time with GoW (I don't think there's a western game I'll enjoy more). I can't wait for the sequel on PS5!!

P.S. That Thor visit was better than any stinger in the MCU. Imagine GoW 5 starting with a fight against him.
P.P.S. Who shot the harpoons on the boat in Helheim?

I don't mean this hyperbolically... this game actually changed my life in a small way. Really hit me on some deep levels that parallel my own life and got me through the darkest time of my life. Incredible work, incredible game.

qiqiqiiq

I was never a big fan of the original series mainly because I never found Kratos interesting, but I ended up getting this game because I enjoy Norse Mythology and I loved it, it could have used a bigger variety of bosses and enemies but both Baldur fights, Thor's sons, the dragon and the valkyries (that damn valkyrie queen was beating the crap out of me) were really fun and had some great spectacle in them, and I ended up liking Kratos in this one because the dynamic with him and Atreus works for me, the sequel to this game is the main reason I'll get a PS5.

JonnyMP3

I don't mean this hyperbolically... this game actually changed my life in a small way. Really hit me on some deep levels that parallel my own life and got me through the darkest time of my life. Incredible work, incredible game.
Now that you mentioned the parallelism, I've just realised that for many of us Kratos actually is mirroring ournown lives and journey as we follow his.
If anyone has looked at the 'Age of Gaffers' poll post, it'll show a large number of us here are over 30. Meaning we were perfectly young and immature enough to have gone through God of War 1 to 3 in the 00s, with that dude bro mentality of the time of our teens and 20s, as he ripped through and destroyed everything about himself and who he'd become. A mirror of our own selves at times as we got older.
Then in the period of God of War's interval of a decade many of us will have had our lives changed incomparably in some shape or fashion. We'll have got married or have kids or lose an important loved one in all this time. Things that make you a different person than you were 10 years ago, whether they be good or bad.

Then one day, Cory Barlog came back to Sony Santa Monica. He saw that he'd grown up. That every one around him that world on GOW 2 had grown up. That everyone that started with Kratos had grown up, surely it made sense to let us know that he too had grown up. And that growing up for us all carries these things and feelings that we all have to face, that we didn't before. The responsibilities that we now have to bare and the consequences of our own past actions. The things that we did or didn't do or wish we could change. The hurt and helpless loss that causes self destruction that you didn't understand. I myself am now a dad too in the years since GOW 3 and nothing speaks to the soul more than when Kratos tells Atreus that we need to "be better".
For himself, his son and the player.
This game makes us look back at Kratos' life during the original trilogy when he looks back at his past, but in doing so, cleverly makes us look back at our own time when we were playing those 3 games and seeing our own growth mirrored since the PS2/3 period. It's the Game of the Generation for me because it literally is the game of MY generation. I grew up with Kratos and Kratos has grew up with me. I jokingly refer to this series now as "Dad of Boy"
And I am just itching for more Dad of Boy!
Goddamn you, Cory Barlog.... You beautiful bastard!
You deserved all the awards you got for writing our collective story through a singular lens.

I do feel sorry for you on twitter though...

I was never a big fan of the original series mainly because I never found Kratos interesting, but I ended up getting this game because I enjoy Norse Mythology and I loved it, it could have used a bigger variety of bosses and enemies but both Baldur fights, Thor's sons, the dragon and the valkyries (that damn valkyrie queen was beating the crap out of me) were really fun and had some great spectacle in them, and I ended up liking Kratos in this one because the dynamic with him and Atreus works for me, the sequel to this game is the main reason I'll get a PS5.
I’d buy a PS5 for the sequel as well. Not day one though, I’ll wait for a solid lineup to take form.
That must be the greatest experience of all time. Imagine going from monster hunter 3ds to world on ps4.
Or Xenoblade 😂

I must’ve spent a bunch of hours admiring every place and corner. Too bad there’s no playtime counter in this game.

Behold a few screenshots from my phone (haven’t extracted the one taken with the ps4 yet):
VRl9ATk.jpg

nN0Zseg.jpg

bQnnI73.jpg

RvpvV6W.jpg

3zowlCw.jpg

Rodolink

i usually don't do side quests but I beat the Valkyries just to keep enjoying the game. it's so good.
I didn't like some repetitive enemies though and most skills where useless once you find the winning combination.
I'm waiting eagerly for the sequel 👌

Boneless

The combat is SO satisfying and the blades of chaos.. Oh my. I have a real problem with singleplayer games and keeping motivated, but for this game I got all the gear, did all the trials, beat the valkyries and then beat the game.

Awesome game, amazing attention to detail. Cory Barlog is a genius, and the voice actor for Kratos, what a hero.

i usually don't do side quests but I beat the Valkyries just to keep enjoying the game. it's so good.
I didn't like some repetitive enemies though and most skills where useless once you find the winning combination.
I'm waiting eagerly for the sequel 👌
Despite the main quest feeling long winded at times, I felt I wouldn't get enough of the the game if I stuck to it. Beating enemies and admiring sceneries doesn't get old. The dialogues alone are a good reward for doing the side content.
The combat is SO satisfying and the blades of chaos.. Oh my. I have a real problem with singleplayer games and keeping motivated, but for this game I got all the gear, did all the trials, beat the valkyries and then beat the game.

Awesome game, amazing attention to detail. Cory Barlog is a genius, and the voice actor for Kratos, what a hero.
It's refreshing to play as a thoroughly, unapologetically masculine protagonist--a bald guy with a beard, a swole body, and a deep voice--especially in this mad era, and it's even better to see him cool-headed and imparting words of wisdom.

Top Bottom