• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DEMON'S SOULS

fvng

Welcome to the 3%! We are the few ... the proud ... the ones with way too much fucking time on our hands.

Same here, one of my rarest trophies. I totally forgot about the small things that made this game unique like world tendencies. 8 years was a long time ago but I remember feeling so engrossed in the world in a way that few other games have done for me since. The only platinums I have for Souls games are for BB and DeSo

VUlBWYL_d.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
As much as I think Demon's has been surpassed, sometimes I think a good chunk of why is the lack of polish. A remaster wouldn't be beneficial just to have the game exist again, it would be an opportunity to fix some of the anti-player stuff the game does (Bladestone, World Tendency resets) so that the game's content isn't quite so obscure.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Never played a Souls game. Demon's good place to start?
As much as I love the game - I have to say it isn't. Start with Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3. While all FROM games do so little explain their mechanics to you, Demon's Souls can be especially punishing in terms of making the game even more difficult for you if you make wrong moves. Which more often than not you will make by accident. I'm talking about experiencing the game the way it was intended, without wiki walkthroughs and save scumming. Ruining your best weapon by "upgrading" it with a rock that makes it scale to totally different stats than yours? No problem, tap a button, and unless you have all the rocks required to reverse it (which you won't) - congrats you're screwed. No warning signs. How insane it sounds that every time you manage to achieve human form (200% more health right?) - the best idea is to immediately commit suicide in the nexus, otherwise if you die to an enemy - the world you die in shifts it's the tendency to black so the enemies get more health, more attack power and so on. The game doesn't tell this stuff and it's full of such painful surprises.

Also, this is a game from 2010. Not exactly a looker by today's standards. Doesn't really matter when you're hooked - but is sure to make a rough first impression.

I'd love to see a twitch stream of a 100% souls rookie play Demon's Souls totally wiki-less blind. If you feel like doing it - you have a viewer :)

If you were to detail what the key differences between dark souls and demon's souls that gives them their own identity despite all the similarities, what would you say they are? What makes them unique from each other in other words besides lore obviously.
Interesting question. I'd agree the difference is in narrative motivation given to the player, Demon's Souls it a way more uplifting story of becoming the hero to save a kingdom from demons, while Dark Souls is this hopeless medieval post-apocalypse and you're goal is just to fulfill your destiny as part of the downfall... In most ways, Dark Souls feels like a fleshed-out rendition of the same concept, with the addition of the ever so awesome world interconnectivity.
The key identity difference here are world and character tendency systems, as undercooked and often frustrating they might be in practice. I think this might be a great concept if done right, with the world changing depending on your choices in more meaningful ways than this. And since FROM was attempting such features already in Dark Souls 3 I have a feeling will see something like this returning in Elden Ring.
Can't wait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom