• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crash Bandicoot 4

Drizzlehell

Banned
Picked this up a while ago already when it was on sale as a backup game to play when I won't have anything else more interesting going on. Which is exactly the kind of period we're in right now so I thought: what the hell, let's give this a try.

Now, admittedly, I really suck at these kind of platforming games, and playing the N.Sane Trilogy caused me a good amount of aggravation for sure. So I genuinely appreciate the fact that this game includes a mode for babies where you can retry each section of the level from checkpoint without getting worked up about lost lives or whatever. The game can still be tough but I can at least make decent progress with each sesh and have some fun doing it. And it's a really fun game, I'm loving it so far. It's charmingly antiquated in a sense where it doesn't try to reinvent the wheel and instead delivers exactly the kind of experience that anyone who grew up with the old games would expect, with a couple of new tricks and ideas to make it stand out from the other three. I suppose the only mild disappointment I felt playing it are the visuals, which I expected to a bit more beefy, with this being a brand new mainline game in the series and shit. But such as it is, it doesn't look that much better from all those recent remakes and reboots of classic platforming games such as Spyro or Spongebob or even cheaper indie games like KAO The Kangaroo, lol. Again, this is not a big problem, though. I merely expected more from the visuals.

Anyway, I've read that the game pretty much flopped on release and the devs, much like everyone else unfortunate enough to be at the mercy of Activision Blizzard, have been sent down to Call of Duty sweatshops. Which is yet another sad triple-A industry story that makes me wish that I was more ignorant of the behind-the-scenes of what's going on at shitty corporations like that.

Holammer

I started playing it recently, so close to the ending I can taste it. The animation is amazing, some of the best animation in the business. The levels of horny in this cutscene? omg!

But no way in hell that I'm not going to 100% this one, I'll just wrap up some of the easier achievements when I'm done. The difficultly is grossly unfair, the CBT of videogames; with many stages that demand too much accuracy, timing and especially memorization. It's not "fun", but I do enjoy a challenge.

I'd love to see more games in this rebooted universe. Maybe a new CTR that actually gets a PC version this time. Netflix show?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I started playing it recently, so close to the ending I can taste it. The animation is amazing, some of the best animation in the business. The levels of horny in this cutscene? omg!

But no way in hell that I'm not going to 100% this one, I'll just wrap up some of the easier achievements when I'm done. The difficultly is grossly unfair, the CBT of videogames; with many stages that demand too much accuracy, timing and especially memorization. It's not "fun", but I do enjoy a challenge.

I'd love to see more games in this rebooted universe. Maybe a new CTR that actually gets a PC version this time. Netflix show?

Yeah, but that's what's cool about it. It doesn't under-deliver for fans who look for a more meaty challenge but it's also accessible for noobs.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Far and away my favorite Crash game and my GOTY for 2020. One of the few games I got the platinum trophy. Wish Toys for Bob would make either a direct sequel or have a go at Spyro.
Yeah, I'm actually a bigger Spyro fan so it hurts so much that we probably won't get the Crash 4 treatment for this series too. I'm so horny for a brand new Spyro game.

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah, but that's what's cool about it. It doesn't under-deliver for fans who look for a more meaty challenge but it's also accessible for noobs.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Yeah, I'm actually a bigger Spyro fan so it hurts so much that we probably won't get the Crash 4 treatment for this series too. I'm so horny for a brand new Spyro game.
Isn't there literally rumblings of a new spyro game in the works currently from Toys for Bob?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Loved this game but found it to be way harder than the N Sane Trilogy at times and I wasn't expecting that. I think it's just how the levels are designed.
Some of them are really tricky and require precise timing but overall I don't mind it as much. The game is extremely generous with checkpoints and it will even pick you up, dust off your jacket, and send you off with a helpful Aku Aku mask if you fuck up too many times. There's really no reason to get frustrated by it as much as with N.Sane trilogy which was way more unforgiving that way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Honestly, it isn't even difficult. It is just absurdly grindy. Needlessly long and not that fun. When you basically have to replay the same level 5-9 times with very minor changes in goals (Get all gems, don't die once, do the same thing for the "alternate" version, etc). It just is so boring. I have been playing the game casually since it released and I still am only about 80% done. Nearly 100+ hours. No platformer should be this long.

Thankfully I do love the base game, so going back every few weeks to do another level isn't too much of a pain.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Honestly, it isn't even difficult. It is just absurdly grindy. Needlessly long and not that fun. When you basically have to replay the same level 5-9 times with very minor changes in goals (Get all gems, don't die once, do the same thing for the "alternate" version, etc). It just is so boring. I have been playing the game casually since it released and I still am only about 80% done. Nearly 100+ hours. No platformer should be this long.

Thankfully I do love the base game, so going back every few weeks to do another level isn't too much of a pain.
Geez, I'm definitely not doing all that shit lol.

I've also reached what seems to be a logical conclusion of that story only to find that there are two more chapters left to go? Eh, honestly I see what you mean because it definitely feels like it's overstaying its welcome at this point. Plus I hate those god damn flying cars section, I think I'm gonna check out for now and maybe come back to finish it later.

Top Bottom