• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne is *amazing*

aravuus

The shark ones
yep
Parrying makes them alot easier to deal with.

Oh man, fuck those guys.

Probably the hardest area for me, definitely the hardest boss (
Orphan of Kos
).

The DLC was absolutely amazing and the first two areas of it are probably my favorite areas of the whole game, maybe my favorite areas in the whole Souls series.

7threst

Bloodstarved Beast fight was incredibly satisfying. Just me and him, no shield, no magic, no bullshit - a true beasto-a-mano fight with only one... beast standing left.

You are my hero. I have to get help like every freaking time in Soulsborne-games when it comes to bosses. Which is really fun for me, doing multiplaer without getting made fun of. Though I can imagine the rush it gives when you beat a boss all by yourself.

MadYarpen

You are my hero. I have to get help like every freaking time in Soulsborne-games when it comes to bosses. Which is really fun for me, doing multiplaer without getting made fun of. Though I can imagine the rush it gives when you beat a boss all by yourself.

Beating BSB felt good indeed. Give it a try if you have a chance - I am by no mean exceptionally good at this game, every boss took me several tries - but it was all matter of patience, all were managable without help. Only with

tumblr_nlsmea1Xjp1rtqr31o1_400.gif

I don't know, because I had a bug and she was stuck at the altar, so that was not a fair fight.

Kill3r7

Since you are probably going to do the dlc i do recommend learning to parry now cause it'll help alot against a certain "Well" enemy which people had a lot of trouble with at the dlcs release.

Cheesing the gangbangers is still the most reliable strategy. Also I had no idea they could be parried.

I bought the game during the sale mostly due to all the threads like this. I never really got into the souls hype (haven't played any of them) but I thought for 8 bucks I would give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about.

So far it's basically exactly confirming my previous opinion as to why I never got into these style of games. I am still early on and still going to give it a chance, but I just don't see the fun or enjoyment in a lot of the mechanics, the complete lack of explanation of any of them, etc. It just feels like difficulty and punishment for its own sake.

It is probably worse since this is my first of these types of games. It also probably doesn't help that I'm playing on ps4 pro and compared to a lot of pro patched games the IQ and performance just seem terrible. I don't mind the frame pacing issuesin ffxv even but in BB it feels way way more noticeable.

Would you recommend someone like me to use a walkthrough so I know what the hell is going on? I'm probably opening myself up to a bunch of scorn right now but I thought that this thread might be a good place to ask what I'm missing and how I can improve the experience. I'd like to like this game that people call a masterpiece gotg, or is it just not for me?

Kill3r7

I bought the game during the sale mostly due to all the threads like this. I never really got into the souls hype (haven't played any of them) but I thought for 8 bucks I would give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about.

So far it's basically exactly confirming my previous opinion as to why I never got into these style of games. I am still early on and still going to give it a chance, but I just don't see the fun or enjoyment in a lot of the mechanics, the complete lack of explanation of any of them, etc. It just feels like difficulty and punishment for its own sake.

It is probably worse since this is my first of these types of games. It also probably doesn't help that I'm playing on ps4 pro and compared to a lot of pro patched games the IQ and performance just seem terrible. I don't mind the frame pacing issuesin ffxv even but in BB it feels way way more noticeable.

Would you recommend someone like me to use a walkthrough so I know what the hell is going on? I'm probably opening myself up to a bunch of scorn right now but I thought that this thread might be a good place to ask what I'm missing and how I can improve the experience. I'd like to like this game that people call a masterpiece gotg, or is it just not for me?

Watch a let's play video of the first area. You will get a feel for the gameplay mechanics and level setup. Then give it a shot yourself. I was in the same boat as you, bought every Souls game but never played them for more than a few hours. BB finally clicked and I went back and replayed the rest of them. They are incredibly rewarding games once you get the hang of them.

NuKERxyz

Play and at the same time watch epic name bro walkthrough and beat the first boss. After that just go by yourself. I quit the game and picked again after almost a year and now it's the best game I've played on PlayStation 4.

aravuus

Finding stuff and accomplishing things by yourself is definitely one of the main elements of these games, so I would honestly suggest you just drop it for now and try again later. Wait a couple of months.

When you're playing with a guide, you're going to be deriving most of your enjoyment from the tight game mechanics, and if you're not enjoying it much right now, I doubt you'd love the game with a guide either.

It took me almost two years and multiple tries to finally get into Dark Souls, and when it clicks, it fucking clicks and at that point I was super glad I hadn't really spoiled anything about the game for myself.

myco666

Yeah guns are not useless. Even with regular builds they are great but with Skill/Bloodtinge hybrid + gun you break the game apart so fast.

No lies detected. Bloodborne may well be my favorite game of all time. That's a fucking tall order considering I've gamed obsessively and variedly for the past 35 years.

Wait, you're still on Blood Starved? You haven't seen shit yet.

It manages to be the best part of Bloodborne, imo. That's quite a feat. The first boss is probably my favorite boss fight of any game ever.

The crazy thing is that I would dispute that claim... by citing the second DLC boss. They did not hit the ball out of the park with The Old Hunters, they put it in fucking orbit.

The one thing I don't like about Bloodborne is that it's almost too good (TM). In the sense that it spoiled Dark Souls III for me, which is of course excellent, but has no transforming weapons. In fact it might have spoiled every game without transforming weapons for me. :(

Bloodborne is simply a masterpiece. I could discuss for days on end what makes the game amazing, but I'm simply just gonna say it's a masterpiece.

And yes, you can put me in the camp of people who wants (but accepts we're not getting) a pro patch.

Bloodborne was my favorite game of the PS4 when it came out. Now with the DLC and the different updates it's among my favorite game of all time :p
I'll have to replay the game soon, I'm on NG+++ I think. I have a very polyvalent character: I've reach all soft cap for all stat so I can have fun with all the weapons/gadgets!

Have fun anyway, you haven't see the better of the game imo :)

The one thing I don't like about Bloodborne is that it's almost too good (TM). In the sense that it spoiled Dark Souls III for me, which is of course excellent, but has no transforming weapons. In fact it might have spoiled every game without transforming weapons for me. :(

Eh I had the same feeling, plus I was playing Dark Souls 2 when the Old hunter DLC came out so it definitely didn't help enjoying the game :/. If they make a second Bloodborne game the expectation will be very high lol

Bloodborne is the opposite of punishment for its own sake. The world is dark and doesn't like you or want you, but it's fair. You can go long stretches without dying by getting better at the mechanics.

The beginning, even for many Souls veterans, is quite difficult, but you'll get better at sidestepping, parrying and locking-on. And once you get those mechanics down, you'll get a lot better.

When I started the game, I didn't even know how to equip a weapon. I ended up getting a platinum for both the main game and the DLC, and I've replayed the game many times as well. I've helped others get plats. I just got that much better and honestly kind of gutsy. First time I beat the Watchdog in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon, I watched the video and went, "Woah, I took a lot of risks." And I didn't even know how to equip a weapon when I started!

This isn't me bragging, either. This is just to show that you can think you're screwed at the beginning and end up getting very good because the mechanics are very good.

Stick with it. If you do, it's rewarding as hell. Hell, I'll do multiplayer with you or shareplay if you want to help; I freaking love this game.

Dahaka

I'm going to start it next week. I only know of the first area up until the first boss
and those two wolves on the bridge.

5.1 will shake me to the bones. I love how the souls games rely on so mysterious and creepy background noises, voices and sounds. Truly magnificient.

Don't be jealous on me because I'll be playing Bloodborne all day.

Oh man, fuck those guys.

Probably the hardest area for me, definitely the hardest boss (
Orphan of Kos
).

The DLC was absolutely amazing and the first two areas of it are probably my favorite areas of the whole game, maybe my favorite areas in the whole Souls series.

Best DLC for any game I have ever played I say. Also...
Fuck OfK with a god damn nuke
but honestly wish most fights were that crazy.

Facism

Sick to my teeth of Dark Souls now, but Bloodborne i can start up a play-through and do everything with 0 fatigue. One of the best games this generation.

mcfizzle4

Bloodborne is by far my favorite of the series but I admittedly haven't played DSIII. I just picked it up in the January sale and plan to start soon.

I went through my Bloodborne trophies yesterday and noticed I never beat the last DLC boss on the list of trophies. That's going to annoy me.

silva1991

I remember when you made Dark souls(2 methinks) thread last year and I knew this thraed will happen

Glad you loved it OP.

Just finished it yesterday for the first time. I couldn't get into it when it was released, but something just clicked a week or so ago and I played it for hours every day.

Fucking loved it. It's kind of impossible for me to rank the Souls games, but I'd say BB was probably the best single player experience of the lot.

I kind of feel like starting a new playthrough right away even with the worse build variety vs. Souls games.

Nice! you played the DLC?

edit: I see you played it.

Or on a Bloodtinge build w/ bone marrow ash. -)

this.

Sanctuary

1) BB feels fresh: weapons

I spend ~500 hours in the medieval, sword & board fantasy world of Demon's and Dark 1/2/3. No matter how much they differ they still feel as the same material. You can be a spellcaster with Souls Arrows/ Lanes, you can be a turtle with Havel's shield or a Katana wielding death machine think Satsuki from Demon's.

In BB I have a useless shield, a useless gun and no magic whatsoever. Instead I have a variety of incredibly original weapons like:

- spear rifle
- sword & hammer in one weapon
- axe/ polaxe (I main it 100% of the time)
- mini-flamethrower (looks awesome)
- I also saw Ludwig's blade on a loading screen which uses its sheath to transform into a fucking Great Blade

Never really understood this argument at all. How often does transforming a weapon during an attack string actually ever matter? How is it any different from simply switching to another weapon in most of the other games when transforming outside of combos? "Incredibly original" in that they are basically the same weapons we've already been using in the previous games, but with small modifications.

You could have summed it up by saying that you have a useless shield, no magic and less options for weapons. Not only are there less options, but just like the other Souls games, a handful of weapons will greatly outclass the rest. Same thing applies with this game, but it's an even larger disparity since you have so few options to begin with.

GOOCHY

This game is definitely in my top 10 all time. That's a hard place to get to since I've been gaming since I was 5 or 6 years old and I'm now on the cusp of 40.

Carlius

Banned
ya i just got a ps4 and bought ffxv and Bloodborne. I am absolutely loving it and enjoying it much much more than ds3. ds2 is sill my favorite, but bloodborne is right up there.

Never really understood this argument at all. How often does transforming a weapon during an attack string actually ever matter? How is it that different from simply switching to another weapon in most of the other games?

You could have summed it up by saying that you have a useless shield, no magic and less options for weapons. Not only are there less options, but just like the other Souls games, a handful of weapons will greatly outclass the rest. Same thing applies with this game, but it's an even larger disparity since you have so few options to begin with.

This is not really true at all. In Dark Souls 2, most of the weapons are unmemorable and get replaced quickly. In Bloodborne, you can go through the whole game with many of the weapons. I've gone through with Ludwig, the Tonitrus, the Hunter's Axe, the Saw Cleaver, the Kirkhammer, and the Whirlgig Saw. And from my experience talking about this game on boards, almost every weapon has a fanbase.

I never found that to be the case in the slightest in DS2. Once you have the great club, the large club is worthless. And once you have the Demon Hammer, I had no use for the great club. However, I could get the Whirlgig Saw, find cool ways to use it, and still come back to the older weapons. The weapons are simply more memorable and better in Bloodborne, and there's no use for a shield when you have sidestepping and parrying (better parrying than DS2).

And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed DS2 and will likely play it again, but I noticed shortly into BB that the weapons were pretty fantastic.

Never really understood this argument at all. How often does transforming a weapon during an attack string actually ever matter? How is it any different from simply switching to another weapon in most of the other games when transforming outside of combos? "Incredibly original" in that they are basically the same weapons we've already been using in the previous games, but with small modifications.

That's not the point. What was stopping FROM from presenting another hundreds weapons in Bloodborne like they did in Souls games? 40 swords, 20 polearms, 20 axes etc. They know how to do this., they could do this in an instant.

Instead they went with a limited but unique set of weapons. And it works. It feels different because it is different. Change, from time to time, is good.

Each one of them is unique and has a very cool animations. Does it limit the class build? I think, so, yes but in BB there is anyway only one true class: The Hunter. So it works even with this scope.

Elandyll

Banned
BB is amazing indeed (my gotg still so far) and it looks like Nioh will be awesome as well (hopefully not crushingly harder) and somewhat inspired by it in a fantasy medieval Japan setting.

BB2 should be a near certainty imo, viewed from SIEJ, and I knda expect an E3 reveal, as emblematic as BB has been.

silva1991

That's not the point. What was stopping FROM from presenting another hundreds weapons in Bloodborne like they did in Souls games? 40 swords, 20 polearms, 20 axes etc. They know how to do this., they could do this in an instant.

Instead they went with a limited but unique set of weapons. And it works. It feels different because it is different. Change, from time to time, is good.

Each one of them is unique and has a very cool animations. Does it limit the class build? I think, so, yes but in BB there is anyway only one true class: The Hunter. So it works even with this scope.

This. the nature of those transformed weapon and their well-crafted and unique designs really stands out.

I don't care how little the weapons are, there are easily my favorite weapons in this series and in gaming in general.

It will take years until another game amazes me with it's weapons like BB did.

tumblr_nupkf1ALMN1rn9ge0o6_400.gif

+

you should watch this OP Bloodborne Saw Cleaver - MAN AT ARMS: REFORGED

Without question the tightest, suavest, most mechanically beautiful game ever made; and easily the best Soulsborne title.

I've had more fun standing idle and pressing L1 in this game than I have all my other gaming experiences this gen.

Anura

Bloodbourne is just good, the DLC is amazing. IMO nothing in the base game pushes the limits of the phenomenal combat until the DLC. Anyways, Right now I'm doing a run seeing if I can beat it just using left hand weapons and unarmed. I just got a few optional bosses and the final dlc boss to go! Combat is great in this game and playing around with the systems like that is really fun.

royox

Tell that to my main weapon.

threaded_cane.jpg

Bloodborne is definitely my favorite in the series next to Dark Souls 1. Just a sublime experience.

EDIT:

The transform attacks are useful because they have greater stunning power against enemies. Nice try though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Come on man...I wish From and/or Sony would just do what CDPR did with regards to a potential Witcher 3 pro patch, they flat out said they would not do it.

So why are we being held in such suspense? Can't someone just send a sincere and humble tweet to Yosp or whoever is the power that be and ask if it will ever happen so that the fans clamoring for it can rest easy knowing it won't...should that be the case...which it seems...so...just...putanailintorsomething.

Tell that to my main weapon.

threaded_cane.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my post as well: every weapon has some kind of fanbase, and some people can and will use the beginner's weapon the whole time.

Hell, on my last playthrough, I was kicking ass with the Saw Cleaver for the beast enemies while using the Pizza Cutter on others. Did that until the bitter end.

The DLC really pushes it into best game of all time territory. No game has boss fights which match visual spectacle with skill like those in the The Old Hunters.

I use the Augr of Ebriatas instead of a gun. I get to focus on arcane while still getting the ability to parry in close quarters. It also lets me use the full sized Ludwig's Holy Blade.

The guns aren't useless. Parries son.

Yeah, I made a slightly disgusted face reading that line...

Keep an eye out for Clawmark runes which up your visceral damage and you'll be a beast with those gun parries. Also, bone marrow ash works wonders for that too-scared-to-go-in-for-the-last-hit boss moments.

Seriously one of the most fun game mechanics in I don't even know how fucking long and I was completely useless at parrying in all Souls games. OP, go train on some low level Yharnamites.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The DLC boosts the game into becoming easily the best Souls game in the series, imo.

By default, the gun should be seen as something like a parrying dagger. You use it primarily for defense, but this mindset can be turned around later because certain builds and guns can cause a lot of bullet damage.

I'm playing through Dark Souls 3 for the first time right now and while it's solid, it's really not gripping me the way Bloodborne does. It's WAY faster than the other Souls games but after Bloodborne, it still feels slow.

Maybe it's also some Souls fatigue on my end too. There are only so many destroyed castles and ruined kingdoms I can explore before getting tired of it, you know?

Some weapons have legit viable transforming attacks and you can indeed chain transforms mid-combo. The Threaded Cane is one of them. But you are right in that some weapons don't transform fast enough to be used midcombo. ...But sometimes you are tempted to do it anyway just because it looks and feels cool to do so.

As for the weapons, while BB does have less weapons than in Souls games, I am hard pressed to think of a BB weapon that is definitively useless or inferior in Bloodborne the way say, the regular dagger is in a Souls game. Every weapon in BB has a fan, and every weapon can feel borderline overpowered once you really get into it. Multiple people think things like "this weapon is overpowered" or "this weapon is easymode" or "I'm useless if I'm not using this weapon" and they can all be talking about different weapons. It suggests that a very large variety of weapons in the game can feel very strong in the right hands. I never clicked with any Souls weapon the way I did with Bloodborne weapons. They just feel a lot more right to me.

Another thing to note is that Souls games tend to have a lot of different variations of the same weapon, which makes people gravitate to one or two incarnations of that weapon type that are considered superior to its weaker versions, due to scaling, moveset, damage, and so on. It's one of the misconceptions to having such a large variety of equipment, since a lot of the weapons in Souls games are effectively a poor man's version of something else. Bloodborne is effectively a tightening up of that system, instead offering only one or two versions of each weapon type (not counting gem slot variations of the same weapon) but making sure that every one of its weapons is good. When you pick up one weapon that works with you, you know you can stick to that one for good. You don't have to worry about whether or not you'll replace this one later.

Wollan

Is the DLC supposed to be as hard (as it seemingly is)?
I had a fresh newgame+ save and jumping into the new content was very challenging.
Is it a mistake to play it in newgame+ ?

I enjoy it but it's really hard for me to get past the performance issues. It actually affects my enjoyment with this game.

Playing ds3 on PC has spoiled me I think.

Top Bottom