• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Best way to play the original FFVII in 2023?

Sleepwalker

This is a game I have never played despite owning multiple times at different moments of my life and I'm not even sure why, it just always seemed like a daunting task, this time though I have decided to actually give it a fair go before playing the remake as I want to complete both before Rebirth next year (if I end up liking them).

So what's the best version to play and why?

I own it on PC from the last steam sale, it is also on PS extra which I sub to.

I currently have a save on my PS vita and I'm in the shinra building after getting captured and leaving the cell, right before the elevator to what I assume is a boss fight.

Now my question is, should I keep playing the save on my Vita? It's the original PSX version which I play sped up but aside from that it's the 1997 experience.

Should I continue playing on the vita or play it on PC via the steam deck? or should I play it on the PS5? I'm aware there are some changes and QOL updates but as someone who doesn't know the game I have no clue of the extent of their impact.

I will also be using this thread as a LTTP and will share my thoughts as I go :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:. So far I'm enjoying the story despite the super dated visuals, which sometimes don't help with navigation and other stuff lol.

So what does GAF think?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Vita is dummy cozy but when I played it freaked out once or twice and I had to reset.
It sometimes has graphical glitches but I found a fix on reddit and its been ok so far after that.

I'm not sure I want to go and mod the pc version though.

And yeah ive been playing it while watching tv with the wife haha.

Last edited:

Damigos

I finished it once playing on VITA and it was a good experience cause of the title’s low resolution. I think since you ve got one, VITA is the way to go

Matsuchezz

I just yesterday started both the remastered version on my Ps5 got to the reactor explosion and then played the remake until I reached to the exact same spot. There is a lot of content in the remake that was not present in the original. It was kinda cool. I will try to play it like that u til I reach the end. I previously played the original like ten years ago and the remake a few years back.

Pantz

PC needs a mod just to get a controller working properly but would be good if you put in some effort. I don't really care for the graphics mods.
Console versions are cool with QOL and achievements but have a bit of censorship.
Vita would be cool if you don't mind the small screen.
Emulation is always good.

Console version gets my vote since it's easy and big screen.

StereoVsn

There are AI upscaled mods that make the backgrounds much cleaner.

You can also gets mods that help with the character models and makes the game 60fps

Yep, get Steam version on the cheap, use mods for above plus a lot more like better translation, improved character graphics, etc...

Sleepwalker

I decided to just continue on the Vita with speed up mode and I am up to Junon, not much has happened other than adding Yuffie to the team. In game timer says 12 hours but its obviously sped up. I enjoyed the midgard arc buf this next part so far hasnt been that great, hopefully it picks up soon.

K2D

Banned
If it's your first time playing the game, and you're playing the ps1(psx) version of the game, I'd say just enjoy it for what it is. It will look bad until you're enveloped into the story and then hopefully you be more forgiving of the graphics.

I do not like the hassle of mods or the clunkyness of the pc port.

A fan translation for the psx version would be interesting for me, but I don't know how good it is implement technically

I just played through the original the PS1 version (on my PS1!) earlier this year. I had played it back in 1997/98 but never got past the first disc for whatever reason.

Fantastic game. I wanted to restart immediately. Better than Remake for sure.

Just play the PS1 version.

IMG-3703.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I decided to just continue on the Vita with speed up mode and I am up to Junon, not much has happened other than adding Yuffie to the team. In game timer says 12 hours but its obviously sped up. I enjoyed the midgard arc buf this next part so far hasnt been that great, hopefully it picks up soon.

You made the right choice. PC has some excellent graphics and gameplay mods (New Threat) but Vita/PSP is awesome for a first playthrough.

I don’t like Junon much either especially with the annoying band marching music. But once you are on the boat leaving the continent it picks up again and begins a true adventure. Filled with cozy towns, vicious beasts, wacky characters, and whatnot.

TrueGrime

OG FF7 is probably the best game I've ever played in my life and I still have memories playing it on the PS. Not sure if I'd want something modded to overwrite those memories.

Still..

FF7 in 60 FPS is amaze. :)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
In my personal opinion NOTHING ever beats the original. No upscaling, no filtering. The game looks best as it was intended. Big pixels and dithered shading.

Boneless

Switch Oled is the best I think. Yes PC has a lot of mods, but almost all of them mess with the original too much for me personally.

The PS4 port with the QOL features gets my vote. Albeit I'm not as brushed up on the PC port and its mods, but outside of cleaning up visuals, I'd be reluctant to recommend anything that alters the original experience too significantly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Whichever method lets you speed up, be it the re-releases or emulation.

Sleepwalker

I completed the first disc and im up to the point where Cloud isn't in your party. This game is incredible, I cant believe it came out in 1997.

Go_Ly_Dow

Probably on Steam with mods that enhance and complement the original experience. Such as AI upscaling, touched up character models, 60fps etc...

I'd also restore the original soundtrack as I think the PC version has some sort of lame reorchestrated OST.

Scotty W

Gold Member
OP check out an encyclopedia entry on kabbalah for a perspective on how truly bizarre the story is, I don’t think this would spoil it.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
yea.....PS5 digital version and PC version lol

Where did I say remake? lol
I was unaware there was a PS5 version of the original.

Do you mean perhaps the PS4 version that you can play on a PS5?

nH8vojJ.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom