• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best way to capture and upload HDR screenshots on PC?

I'd like to upload some HDR screenshot of my modded version of Battlefield V.
When I take a screenshot with HDR turned on it saves it as a .JXR file. If I convert it to JPG or PNG it comepletely washes out all of the HDR color and lighting.

Is there any way to keep the the HDR elements and either convert the file to upload to Twitter, Instagram, etc? The only real method I've found so far is taking a Iphone photo of my LG OLED that I'm playing on.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Well even if you do it, people in the screenshot thread still won't end up seeing what you are seeing unless they have the exact same source HDR settings as on your PC...

It's just one of the many reasons why HDR gaming on a PC is such a non standardised dumpster fire.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
There's no good way that I'm aware of. You get a JXR file that's super blown out and unusable on non-HDR displays, alongside a PNG file that's way too dark with crushed blacks and blown out highlights by default.

Unfortunately the only method I've found that sort of works is to grab the PNG file and edit exposure/highlights/shadows so that it actually looks decent on an SDR display.

There's no good way that I'm aware of. You get a JXR file that's super blown out and unusable on non-HDR displays, alongside a PNG file that's way too dark with crushed blacks and blown out highlights by default.

Unfortunately the only method I've found that sort of works is to grab the PNG file and edit exposure/highlights/shadows so that it actually looks decent on an SDR display.
Yes it's actually very strange that there isn't a standard way of doing this by now.

GymWolf

I take pics with my phone.

They look like shit but at least you don't have any photomode enhancement, just pure raw gameplay.

Df hate this one weird trick.

Exentryk

Open JXR in photoshop. Map HDR to SDR via a menu button. Export image.

Did the above for Hogwarts Legacy screenshots. Still a pain. There was also a batch program, but that didn't work as well.

Open JXR in photoshop. Map HDR to SDR via a menu button. Export image.

Did the above for Hogwarts Legacy screenshots. Still a pain. There was also a batch program, but that didn't work as well.
Interesting! I'll definitely try this! Do you know of any free alternatives to Photoshop that have this capability?

TheStam

I use the Nvidia photo mode and save in HDR when it's supported. Still HDR images are always annoying as someone might be seeing the image on an SDR screen.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Someone needs to make a reliable image format that stores both HDR value and SDR values in a single file that displays them properly based on how they are viewed. I wonder if apple is doing this with the HEIC format given a single file shows fine on SDR and HDR mac's/iphones.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Maybe try Nvidia's method. ALT + Z to access the interface once you have it turned on. Check the hotkeys in the settings to find the action for screen shots. I would also make sure you tweak the settings to direct screenshots and videos to a specific folder on your PC. My pics generally come out pretty good using this method.

EDIT: Nvidia does have an "Nvidia App" in beta right now. Not sure if this does it even better as I've tried it. Currently I've only used it to add filters to make games look as good as possible. It's a godsend for Cyberpunk. It's supposed to replace GeForce Now. If you have a Radeon card...I don't know if there's an equivalent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom