• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman: Arkham Origins - The Forgotten Arkham game

This was actually my favorite Batman game. There is definitely some curious design choices. I wish it would have been more of you only encounter some of the bosses based off of choices you make.

The boss fights and story made this my favorite of the Arkham games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Proud to have played Arkham, Arkham city and Arkham the stealth eccentric missions were interesting in todays COD crazed world.

SCB3

Proud to have played Arkham, Arkham city and Arkham the stealth eccentric missions were interesting in todays COD crazed world.
They were great and refreshing back then, I miss that era of companies taking chances on new ip or comics, remember Batman and xmen was the reason for this big surge in comic book movies

Speaking of which, man I’d love a remaster of the console version of xmen origins, that is a fucking fun game

Absolutely the best of the six Arkham games by far to me. A lot of people seem to just not get the context of the game. Objectively, it has the best "dungeons" of the entire franchise by a wide mile. The "overworld" is the sticking point--mostly because half of it is a section of the Arkham City overworld map inverted. That's a fair criticism, but IMO completely excusable and I'm not afraid to get into why.

Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight are a tale of two different studios, and the manner in which WB treats them. Batman: Arkham Knight was supposed to release in October of 2014, and yet Rocksteady was granted a near 9 month delay--first to the beginning of June 2015, and then a further, minor delay into late June. Despite this significant delay, Knight still launched with a plethora of bugs as well as its leaderboards being non-functional. I myself encountered a game-breaking bug that caused the Cloudburst to fire into the city early and rendered progression impossible. Fortunately I had another save going or I would have had to start the entire game over again.

Origins was no stranger to bugs, including a game breaking one. I myself never encountered any significant issue--but I have seen them in action and am in no way denying that the bugs existed. Many were fixed in patches, as with Knight, but the fact is, both games launched with them. The difference being that WB refused to allow WB Games Montreal to delay Origins even slightly. It was ordered that it must launch on time ready for primetime or not. Once the game did launch, Montreal was only allowed to implement critical fixes and were ordered to leave the remainder of the bugs out there in the wild in order to focus on their development of the Initiation and Cold, Cold Heart DLCs. Some people still act as though WB Games Montreal actively chose not to fix the bugs that remained in the game and to focus on the DLC, but this was entirely a WB decision that they were forced to follow.

WB Games Montreal was treated like a stepchild and not granted any of the latitude and support that Rocksteady was in the creation of its own games, and given what a short development time that Origins had, the end result is simply amazing IMO. Origins carries better stories and better boss fights of the entire series, and had the best DLC in the franchise as well. The combat is more direct, and you get better control of which goon Bats is slapping around. Even some recycled stuff, like glue grenade being a stand in for the freeze grenade, felt better as the glue grenade is just flat out more fun.

Perhaps the biggest indicator of Origins having a lasting impression is just how much Knight directly references it. For all the naysayers who claim that Origins is not only a bad game but not even canon, Knight seemed to go out of its way to pack in a huge amount of references cementing it as an integral part of the Arkhamverse's story.

It is absolutely worth playing Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate as well. Taking place three months after the events of Cold, Cold Heart, the Blackgate entry gives us a nice look into the prison complex, establishing Batman's first encounters with more characters, most notably Catwoman. It's surprising how well the Arkham formula adapted to a 2D metroidvania. The combat works very well, though it's not much to write home about. The game is genuinely fun and it's enjoyable to go through a hidden chapter in the Arkham saga. While there are better metroidvania games out there, none of them let you play as Batman and mix in detective work. The game was built for the Vita and 3DS and it shows, but the port to PC and consoles still served it well.

All of this said, don't walk into Origins with the pre-conceived notion that it is either the best or worst game in the series. Allow it to wash over you and be what it is. There's a fantastic game in there, built on the foundations that Rocksteady laid down with Asylum and City. IMO, WB Games Montreal perfected the formula and made things better. I certainly enjoyed it more. But I also went in understanding I was playing a game that was a prequel and that it existed to fill in the gap in the schedule until Knight would release. I would love for them to make further tales in this timeframe. But sadly, WB doesn't want its studios making single player games anymore.

SCB3

Shit was a blatant cashgrab I happily skipped.
And yet seems to be universally praised?

I'd agree it wasa bit of a cashgrab from WB as Knight was delayed and they wanted a Holiday release, hell I thought the same on release

However, it is a game that should be dismissed, it is very very good and more of Arkham City, now I could see the argument that it should may have been DLC, but its a lot bigger than a DLC, people loved City so I do not get the issue of having more of that, same thing that I thought with Miles Morales a few years ago

kyussman

It was just a less polished Arkham game,because it wasn't made by Rocksteady.......that still makes it a very good Batman game though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This thread got me really replaying the game lol.

Damn shame it never got a remastered treatment on console or a resolution boost on Xbox BC.

Probably the best story in the Arkham games.

LtxPSvT.png

6zvFtsW.png

KZSjabu.png

bA1FkQf.png

DanTN4d.png

Last edited:

SCB3

This thread got me really replaying the game lol.

Damn shame it never got a remastered treatment on console or a resolution boost on Xbox BC.

Probably the best story in the Arkham games.

LtxPSvT.png

6zvFtsW.png

KZSjabu.png

bA1FkQf.png

DanTN4d.png
To be fair, it still looks fantatic, the art design is top notch imo

And yea the Remastered games are really disappointing, I've been playing a modded 4k version of Asylum and its still very very good

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Absolutely the best of the six Arkham games by far to me. A lot of people seem to just not get the context of the game. Objectively, it has the best "dungeons" of the entire franchise by a wide mile. The "overworld" is the sticking point--mostly because half of it is a section of the Arkham City overworld map inverted. That's a fair criticism, but IMO completely excusable and I'm not afraid to get into why.

Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight are a tale of two different studios, and the manner in which WB treats them. Batman: Arkham Knight was supposed to release in October of 2014, and yet Rocksteady was granted a near 9 month delay--first to the beginning of June 2015, and then a further, minor delay into late June. Despite this significant delay, Knight still launched with a plethora of bugs as well as its leaderboards being non-functional. I myself encountered a game-breaking bug that caused the Cloudburst to fire into the city early and rendered progression impossible. Fortunately I had another save going or I would have had to start the entire game over again.

Origins was no stranger to bugs, including a game breaking one. I myself never encountered any significant issue--but I have seen them in action and am in no way denying that the bugs existed. Many were fixed in patches, as with Knight, but the fact is, both games launched with them. The difference being that WB refused to allow WB Games Montreal to delay Origins even slightly. It was ordered that it must launch on time ready for primetime or not. Once the game did launch, Montreal was only allowed to implement critical fixes and were ordered to leave the remainder of the bugs out there in the wild in order to focus on their development of the Initiation and Cold, Cold Heart DLCs. Some people still act as though WB Games Montreal actively chose not to fix the bugs that remained in the game and to focus on the DLC, but this was entirely a WB decision that they were forced to follow.

WB Games Montreal was treated like a stepchild and not granted any of the latitude and support that Rocksteady was in the creation of its own games, and given what a short development time that Origins had, the end result is simply amazing IMO. Origins carries better stories and better boss fights of the entire series, and had the best DLC in the franchise as well. The combat is more direct, and you get better control of which goon Bats is slapping around. Even some recycled stuff, like glue grenade being a stand in for the freeze grenade, felt better as the glue grenade is just flat out more fun.

Perhaps the biggest indicator of Origins having a lasting impression is just how much Knight directly references it. For all the naysayers who claim that Origins is not only a bad game but not even canon, Knight seemed to go out of its way to pack in a huge amount of references cementing it as an integral part of the Arkhamverse's story.

It is absolutely worth playing Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate as well. Taking place three months after the events of Cold, Cold Heart, the Blackgate entry gives us a nice look into the prison complex, establishing Batman's first encounters with more characters, most notably Catwoman. It's surprising how well the Arkham formula adapted to a 2D metroidvania. The combat works very well, though it's not much to write home about. The game is genuinely fun and it's enjoyable to go through a hidden chapter in the Arkham saga. While there are better metroidvania games out there, none of them let you play as Batman and mix in detective work. The game was built for the Vita and 3DS and it shows, but the port to PC and consoles still served it well.

All of this said, don't walk into Origins with the pre-conceived notion that it is either the best or worst game in the series. Allow it to wash over you and be what it is. There's a fantastic game in there, built on the foundations that Rocksteady laid down with Asylum and City. IMO, WB Games Montreal perfected the formula and made things better. I certainly enjoyed it more. But I also went in understanding I was playing a game that was a prequel and that it existed to fill in the gap in the schedule until Knight would release. I would love for them to make further tales in this timeframe. But sadly, WB doesn't want its studios making single player games anymore.

Fantastic post :messenger_grinning:

In what ways does Knight reference Origin's?

I'll say too, that I did play Blackgate on 3DS and enjoyed it enough, don't remember finishing it, but it was a good enough time when I played it. I don't think I've even installed the PC version they gave away as an apology.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I just checked my steam achievements and apparently I never finished blackgate, looks like I beat deadshot and then called it quits; guess I'll revisit it.

Sleepwalker

OEXBNeQ.jpg

Arkham Reborn mod goes hard on my PC, a smooth 60fps at 1440p

Make sure you look up how to run it, I could never get City to run on my deck and gave up

Origins runs fine on the deck, it was one of the first games I tested when I got my OG deck.

Rockondevil

Found an Arkham Asylum and Origins on eBay for $35 AUD.
Lowballed an offer of $20 and they immediately accepted. Should’ve gone lower.

Most people are trying to sell them for $20-25 each on there.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Coming up on the end of the hotel and man, Baker really did an amazing job taking on Hamill’s Joker. Dare I say….an underrated performance?

Game is so good. And those shock gloves are damn near game breaking :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Cashon

Banned
Coming up on the end of the hotel and man, Baker really did an amazing job taking on Hamill’s Joker. Dare I say….an underrated performance?

Game is so good. And those shock gloves are damn near game breaking :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I think both Batman and Joker in that game do a great job and both are underrated.

Puscifer

Origins was never bad, it just felt super weak next to the rest. Did have some great bosses but felt entirely too familiar after City. The people trying to pull off some sort of revisionist history "it was the best one" are freaks, though.
I've always felt like it was the best one to myself personally, that's just my opinion though.

In what ways does Knight reference Origin's?
There are many, but honestly, I haven't played Knight in almost 8 and a half years. These are ones I can remember clearly off the top of my head:

1. In the Evidence Locker of the GCPD, Mr. Freeze's New Year's Eve rampage is directly mentioned in the audio description of his freeze gun, alluding to the Cold, Cold Heart DLC
2. Firefly directly mentions how he intends to make Batman pay for abandoning him on the bridge, alluding to the Firefly boss fight in Origins
3. Deathstroke mentions wanting a rematch when he appears, alluding to the Deathstroke boss fight in Origins
4. The entire A Matter Of Family DLC takes place during the Origins timeframe (not during that game itself but between Blackgate and Asylum. At the time, WB Games Montreal were still expecting to make the "B Arkham trilogy" that would continue to flesh out the earlier days of the Arkhamverse and Batman meeting more of his rogues' gallery and developing his adversarial relationship with the different villains while strengthening his bond with Gordon and taking Dick on as Robin).
The following I might be misremembering as it has been so long, so if I am either off base or have details incorrect, I admit my fallibility:

Lady Shiva is present in the Season Of Infamy DLC. She is only ever seen in Origins
At one point, The Joker in Bruce's head makes a quip about the night they first met

If I ever do NG+ on Knight for the Platinum, I will be sure to take note of every reference there is, as I remember seeing them all over the place when I first played it.

Fantastic post :messenger_grinning:

Thank you very much. It was an effort to organize all my thoughts and shed some light on Origins. Both it and WB Games Montreal as a whole get maligned very unfairly, IMO. I still remember all the posts about how WB Games Montreal is a greedy narcissistic developer who reveled in leaving their game with lots of bugs so they could work on DLC to sell you. As though they themselves were some kind of supervillains and not taking marching orders from WB themselves. This silly and utterly false narrative that they were content to release their game in the state it was in because they didn't care is just nonsense. They were neither given enough time or support, and the fact that the game ended up being a much better experience than City despite some of its shortcomings is amazing to me. One thing that I noticed, all the way through Knight, is that Rocksteady was not the best at building the "dungeon" like areas of the Arkham games. While I think they absolutely nailed Arkham Asylum itself, I feel that the vast majority of the interior levels in City and Knight are rather uninspired. I couldn't wait to see what was next in Origins, and even though the overworld map in it wasn't the best, I actually enjoyed much of it regardless.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Arkham Origins had such a good premise that it was arguably good enough to be made into a film. Granted it would have been more of an action movie disguised as a Batman film, but I suspect most of us wouldn't have complained that much if they let the characters go all out.

I mean, one could only imagine what could have been considering Deathstroke was rumored for Affleck's Batman movie for a really long time.

Puscifer

That's right, guys ! Braing back the love for Arkham Origins back ! It deserves it.

Im Back Zoolander 2 GIF by Paramount Pictures
Only Batman Arkham game where I felt like the enemies weren't standing around waiting for their turn to fight me. They were seriously aggro and I loved it! The skyscraper section is my favorite in the entire Arkham-verse, my only complaint would be is that they should've ended the game there because it was THAT GOOD.

SCB3

Arkham Origins had such a good premise that it was arguably good enough to be made into a film. Granted it would have been more of an action movie disguised as a Batman film, but I suspect most of us wouldn't have complained that much if they let the characters go all out.

I mean, one could only imagine what could have been considering Deathstroke was rumored for Affleck's Batman movie for a really long time.

There was a WB show that had Deathstroke on (It may have been Arrow, not sure I didn't watch them) and I remember seeing his armor and the actor fit perfectly from the limited scenes I saw

My only issue with Origins story is that it drops hard after the Black Mask reveal, the premise of the game is super interesting for Batman, but I can see why they did it, it feels a bit too close to Arkham Asylum (Long Halloween based 1 night of Batman like story)

Top Bottom