• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like PGR3 is not properly displayed on 4:3 LCD monitor

It should still be able to put out a letterboxed 16:9 image, as all the other games are said to do. That 1280x1024 isn't quite 4:3 doesn't matter for the other games, and shouldn't for PGR3.

vas

in 1280x1024 mode, PGR3 plays perfect with borders(i want 1:1 720p), but only in garage, menu, and geometry wars as soon as you go in race, the image isn't bordered, but stretched from 720p to fill 1280x720..which doesn't look good.

Unless someone can confirm otherwise, I take that as the current situation. Scary thing is that BC are not accepting it as a problem. The reason it's scary is that if they dont see it as a problem, they will obviously not fix it.

I doubt it. It's probably a setup thing.

Edit:
vas said:
He does say that parts of the game (menu, garage) are displayed in letterbox and the actual race is stretched.
Yea, and now there's pics in that thread showing that, even. Bummer. I'd hate to have to look at my LCD's ugly scaling to avoid that.

vas

slidewinder said:
I doubt it. It's probably a setup thing.
He does say that parts of the game (menu, garage) are displayed in letterbox and the actual race is stretched. Sounds to me like a bug and not a setup thing.

vas said:
He does say that parts of the game (menu, garage) are displayed in letterbox and the actual race is stretched.

Sounds directly related to the game being rendered at 1024x600. I think it has been pointed out that the menus are actually true 1280x720. It can't be just a coincidence that it is just this particular game, and only in-game.

Teddman

If your 4:3 TV has a "16:9 enhanced mode" AKA "anamorphic squeeze," force it to on in the options menu. Normally, an anamorphic signal auto-triggers it on my Sony. It'll give you a nice crisp widescreen image on the 4:3 set.

This is actually better than getting a standard letterboxed image because you get a third higher resolution.

If your TV doesn't even have anamorphic squeeze.... You're not ready for this generation.

EDIT: Upon further review, looks like this is just a problem with this guy's brand of LCD monitor.

vas

Teddman said:
If your 4:3 TV has a "16:9 enhanced mode" AKA "anamorphic squeeze," force it to on in the options menu. Normally, an anamorphic signal auto-triggers it on my Sony. It'll give you a nice crisp widescreen image on the 4:3 set.

This is actually better than getting a standard letterboxed image because you get a third higher resolution.

If your TV doesn't even have anamorphic squeeze.... You're not ready for this generation.

The problem is not with TVs apparantly but with VGA connection to 1280x1024 LCD monitors. It appears that other games are letterboxed and displayed in their native aspect ratio but PGR3's gameplay is stretched (while it's menus and garage mode are properly displayed)

Furthermore, if u look at the last post here: http://www.bizarreonline.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9179 by someone named CrunchinJelly, he says:
OK, so the guy took some screenshots. It turns out PGR3 is hunky-dory in letterbox at 1024x768, but as soon as you set it to 1280x1024 it starts crying like a little baby. Observe:

I have a suspicion this bug is somehow the result of the game being internally rendered at 1024x600 (as was previously confirmed by various sources including Xboxyde's Blimblim).

Teddman

Well, he could always manually set the vertical range of the monitor to be more narrow, squashing the stretched image and getting basically the same effect as anamorphic squeeze. He'd have to toggle it off when viewing other games though.

vas

Teddman said:
Well, he could always manually set the vertical range of the monitor to be more narrow, squashing the stretched image and getting basically the same effect as anamorphic squeeze. He'd have to toggle it off when viewing other games though.
It's a neusance, plus not all monitors allow you to do that.

Idioteque

Teddman said:

EDIT: Upon further review, looks like this is just a problem with this guy's brand of LCD monitor.

Yeah, I have a Sony Wega with a 16:9 enhanced mode and the picture actually looks pretty good when it's on.

1280x1024 isn't a 4:3 resolution.

Guess what? Pixels aren't always square. Proper rendering handles this.

Most 16:9 480p Xbox and 360 games use 640x480 frame buffers, and none use 720x480. Omigod how do they do it? :lol

Bad coding, Bizarre. You didn't use the scaler properly.

golem

1280x1024 monitors are 5:4.. i know i have one.. though they should be supported anyhow, since theres a bunch of them out there.

JMPovoa

vas said:
He does say that parts of the game (menu, garage) are displayed in letterbox and the actual race is stretched. Sounds to me like a bug and not a setup thing.

The resolution in menus is actually higher than the resolution during game. Isn't that what was side some time ago? (that 1024x600 shit)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
There is no way for the 360 to support that at all. It's your monitor that doesn't support it. The 360 will output 1280x720 but the LCD monitor will likely scale it up.

The 360 would need an 1280x1024 mode for that.

EDIT: I guess it does have a 1280x1024 mode so that makes me an Idiot. Nevermind >.<

vas

elostyle said:
There is no way for the 360 to support that at all. It's your monitor that doesn't support it. The 360 will output 1280x720 but the LCD monitor will likely scale it up.

The 360 would need an 1280x1024 mode for that.

EDIT: I guess it does have a 1280x1024 mode so that makes me an Idiot. Nevermind >.<
That's the whole point, xbox360 does have that resolution choice from dashboard settings if you are using a vga cable. every other game apparantly is properly letter boxed when you select 1280x1024 as the resolution of your monitor. However it appears that pgr3 just stretches the picture to full screen. Now there are two problems with this, the obvious one is distorted image (due to wrong ratio) and secondly, since the xbox is outputting a 1280x720 signal, the stretching results in a picture upscaled by your monitor.

Properly coded 360 games scale high-def into a 1280x768 letterbox window on a 1280x1024 4:3 monitor. PGR3 is not properly coded. End of story.

From looking at the images, it looks like maybe 1024 (1024x600) x768

edit: I scaled the screwed-up screenshot to 1280x768 and it looks perfect. I scaled the good one to 1024x768 and it looks just like the screwed-up one. It's a horizontal res bug.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
all it has to do is output a 1280x720 xbox 360 image, with black bars top and bottom inserted to make it up to 1280x1024.

I don't know if 1280x1024 LCD monitors have square pixels or not, but it should look ok (give or take a bit). Seems from those pictures that its way off

Really bad bug to miss Bizarre - there are a lot of 1280x1024 LCD monitors out there, and thats pretty much their only option, as scalers on LCD monitors are pretty shit.

vas

mmlemay said:
Get a widescreen TV...problem solved!
It is not a user problem to solve. The problem shouldn't have happened in the first place. How about instead of buying a tv to solve the problem just buy a competing/better console.

Top Bottom