• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like DCEU's strategy is paying off. How will MCU compete?

pramod

Banned
I couldn't see it at first, but with movies like Joker, The Batman etc happening in different "universes", the long term plan of the DCEU finally makes sense to me.

The DC universe always had these crazy alternate universe storylines ever since Crisis on Infinite Earths. Now they are replicating it in the movies/TV and it gives the creators so much freedom to do whatever they want. Do we want 3 different Batmans? No problem, they can all co-exist. Do we want to kill off Superman Prime? Sure, no big deal, there are still unlimited other versions.

And you can't do that with the MCU. Once you killed off Tony Stark you can't bring him back.
What is Marvel going to do going forward? Is female Thor and Dr. Strange enough to compete against Batman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Flash/etc etc etc?

Maybe we might see the X-men show up sooner than later?

Last edited:
marvel will continue trying to use rdj as much as they can while experimenting with new possible cash cows

i think they bring back rdj for the what if movies

pattinsonverse i feel will be enormous

i bet they have a delightful idea for pattinsonverse joker that will end up being the new sensation of the next decade+

some good shit is brewing for DC

marvel has a lot of brainstorming to do because eventually they quirk shtick is going to go stale as the dark clouds of the DC realm close in

JLMC469

Banned
marvel has a lot of brainstorming to do because eventually they quirk shtick is going to go stale as the dark clouds of the DC realm close in

tenor.gif

skneogaf

Yeah I really want DC movies to embrace the multi universe as it links everything together and allows different styles of movies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DC isn't doing a multiverse that are doing individual movies because they completely fucked up their attempt at a cinematic universe. Marvel don't need Tony Stark, Iron Man wasn't even that big of a Marvel character in mainstream media until the movies made him one.

Bolivar687

Banned
DC isn't doing a multiverse that are doing individual movies because they completely fucked up their attempt at a cinematic universe. Marvel don't need Tony Stark, Iron Man wasn't even that big of a Marvel character in mainstream media until the movies made him one.

The entire premise of the Flash movie is the multiverse.

JLMC469

Banned

Insane that Iron Man 3 made more money than Superman, Batman V Superman and Justice League.

Fucking Iron Man. Aquaman also made more money than those films. Freaking Aqua Man.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
I don’t know if you are agreeing or not but dr strange was a better movie.

I am saying that it takes a special talent to have a movie called “Dr. Strange” outgross Superman and The Justice League at the box office.

By special talent I mean WB‘s and Snyders ineptitude.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Dr. Strange made more than Justice League and Man of Steel :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Point taken. But I'll counter with the (maybe not so convincing) argument that every MCU movie that came after Avengers 1 was riding its coattails and the build up to the Infinity Gauntlet/War saga. Heck even Far From Home did that, half the movie was about Tony Stark's technology and the aftermath of his death.

Now with no more Tony Stark/Thanos/Infinity Gems will they still be able to do that? We will see. The box office returns of the next 2 upcoming MCU movies will be very telling. I guess their hope now is that Spider-man will carry the load for them.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
Point taken. But I'll counter with the (maybe not so convincing) argument that every MCU movie that came after Avengers 1 was riding its coattails and the build up to the Infinity Gauntlet/War saga. Heck even Far From Home did that, half the movie was about Tony Stark's technology and the aftermath of his death.

Now with no more Tony Stark/Thanos/Infinity Gems will they still be able to do that? We will see. The box office returns of the next 2 upcoming MCU movies will be very telling. I guess their hope now is that Spider-man will carry the load for them.

The big acquisition was X-Men. Huge potential there. But I agree with you.

BaneIsPain

After the Endgame, I need a break from MCU. I excited with DC despite their "individual" way; it gave us a unique perspective and free creativity for the director. ( they don't need to fit in every character of each film produced)

How will MCU respond? How about they don’t have to? I’m gonna enjoy a massive Marvel universe where the movies and characters tie together and DC films that are stand alone films like Joker.

sol_bad

Marvel have nothing to worry about. It's DC that have been trying to catch up and theg fudged it with Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman and Justice League.
Shazam and Aquaman were good steps, WW84 and the new Suicide Squad look hella fun. And The Batman looks fucking phenomenal.

DC are making progress and upping their game. I didn't include Joker above because despite how good it is It's not really a comic book film.

teezzy

Banned
The DC stuff actually looks as though it's trying to maintain some cinematic merit as well. As shallow as that merit may be, it is certainly refreshing after the MCU's cookie cutter "look ma, more aliens!" garbage.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm excited about The Batman. It's a trilogy supposedly, and totally separate and can do its own thing.

I'm excited about Joker 2, if and when it gets made.

I'm excited about Suicide Squad with James Gunn leading it. I thought Guardians 1 was one of the best Marvel movies ever, but thought part 2 was much cheesier Disney crap in comparison. Suicide Squad will bring out even more raw material from Gunn which is where he shines, with more adult themes.

I'm excited about the Snyder Cut. I had zero interest, but the format sounds neat as a 4 episode mini-series.

I'm excited about the Flash movie with the multi-verse and multiple Batmans. The rumor being that after that film, Michael Keaton will remain in the main DCEU storylines as a mentor figure like Nick Fury. Can't imagine a cooler mentor than Michael Keaton as a wise, older Batman who just sticks to planning and leadership.

That's legitimately 5 things I'm actually excited about. I'm as shocked as you are, trust me. From Marvel, I'm "excited" about Dr. Strange 2 and that's about it.

Elcid

Banned
To be honest I need a break from both. The Batman looks interesting so maybe I'll watch it, but pretty much everything else from DCEU and MCU I'm passing on. Don't give a shit for Aquaman or Wonder Woman live action movies. If you want good movies check out the DC animated ones from Flashpoint->Apokolips War. Now those are amazing movies.

Falcs

Banned
I'm pretty much done with the MCU now that it's going woke.
So long as DC doesn't go all woke I'll keep watching.

But probably not at the cinemas.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I couldn't see it at first, but with movies like Joker, The Batman etc happening in different "universes", the long term plan of the DCEU finally makes sense to me.

The DC universe always had these crazy alternate universe storylines ever since Crisis on Infinite Earths. Now they are replicating it in the movies/TV and it gives the creators so much freedom to do whatever they want. Do we want 3 different Batmans? No problem, they can all co-exist. Do we want to kill off Superman Prime? Sure, no big deal, there are still unlimited other versions.

And you can't do that with the MCU. Once you killed off Tony Stark you can't bring him back.
What is Marvel going to do going forward? Is female Thor and Dr. Strange enough to compete against Batman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Flash/etc etc etc?

Maybe we might see the X-men show up sooner than later?
Dr. strange 2 is literally called the Multiverse of madness....

VulcanRaven

They will make X-Men movie set in the MCU. Also I'm sure they will make a new Avengers movie at some point.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Is it paying off? Pretty much everything out of the DC universe has been mediocre and forgettable at best.

Marvel are laughing all the way it the bank. Anything they release will be more successful than the dc stuff. Marvel characters just resonate more.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is it paying off? Pretty much everything out of the DC universe has been mediocre and forgettable at best.

Marvel are laughing all the way it the bank. Anything they release will be more successful than the dc stuff. Marvel characters just resonate more.
Let's face it there is no fundamental difference between the two. Marvel have made a talking raccoon and a stick major characters - Marvel have first mover advantage and they have managed their properties excellently, while DC have completely bungled the implementation of their 'universe' and are already having to reboot into a mainly unconnected series of movies.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Let's face it there is no fundamental difference between the two. Marvel have made a talking raccoon and a stick major characters - Marvel have first mover advantage and they have managed their properties excellently, while DC have completely bungled the implementation of their 'universe' and are already having to reboot into a mainly unconnected series of movies.
Yeh the difference is that Marvel came out off the bar with their heavy hitters and good movies, then started adding the smaller and lesser known characters in and making people like them.

DC went straight in with the nobodies and put them in to bad movies. Like how was that android guy in Justice League? He’s a nothing character. They should have done all the solo movies first, built up characters and lore, and slowly added the nobodies.

sol_bad

Yeh the difference is that Marvel came out off the bar with their heavy hitters and good movies, then started adding the smaller and lesser known characters in and making people like them.

DC went straight in with the nobodies and put them in to bad movies. Like how was that android guy in Justice League? He’s a nothing character. They should have done all the solo movies first, built up characters and lore, and slowly added the nobodies.

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye were nobodies in 2008. The only superheroes the mainstream knew back then were Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the X-Men. Then to a lesser extent due to recent movies at the time Hulk, Daredevil and Fantastic Four.

It's not about the popularity of a character that matters but what is done with them.

DKehoe

Iron Man was a nobody to the vast majority of people.

Does anyone else think its weird that in Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman is like this barely known myth that is found by deep digging from Lex Luthor with uncover top secret photos of her in WW1 now in the next movie shes running around in the 80s flexing them legs everywhere in a time when Bruce Wayne was alive

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
marvel will continue trying to use rdj as much as they can while experimenting with new possible cash cows

i think they bring back rdj for the what if movies

pattinsonverse i feel will be enormous

i bet they have a delightful idea for pattinsonverse joker that will end up being the new sensation of the next decade+

some good shit is brewing for DC

The "What If...." is a series on Disney Plus and it'll be animated. But they could get RDJ to do his voice I suppose.

sol_bad

Does anyone else think its weird that in Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman is like this barely known myth that is found by deep digging from Lex Luthor with uncover top secret photos of her in WW1 now in the next movie shes running around in the 80s flexing them legs everywhere in a time when Bruce Wayne was alive

We'll have to how the story plays out first. Something might happen at the end that makes everyone forget what happened.

I still think the MCU dropped the ball massively by not setting up the next big bad.

An after credits stinger with Doctor Doom, maybe something in the background teasing the Fantastic Four too, would have had speculation and excitement ramped up, not allowed to cool off as it has done.

Their bad films get propped up by the shared universe stuff, so without some below the surface, undercurrent of drama to make each new instalment feel like it's building to a big pay off, the overall staleness and interchangeability of each movie become so much more noticeable.

The DCEU meanwhile can cope with making shit movies because they're all barely linked. The audience doesn't like this Joker? Fine, cast someone else in the role and have that be a different unconnected universe.

I doubt the DCEU will ever hit the financial heights the MCU does, but it's also far less likely to utterly collapse like the MCU could either.

Super Mario

Banned
Marvel don't need Tony Stark, Iron Man wasn't even that big of a Marvel character in mainstream media until the movies made him one.

That's a pretty poor argument as to why they don't need Tony Stark.

Anyways, DC struck gold with the Joker because it told a deeper, darker story. That's something that has been missing in the world of dozens of popcorn CGI flicks. This is similar to what we saw with Nolan Batman.

I wouldn't celebrate The Batman just yet. It's not here. We've hyped up multiple DC flicks before. Only to be disappointed.

Ten_Fold

Marvel did pretty good without relying on the X-men too heavy. They pushed Iron Man an nowadays he IS the most popular marvel character. I think Black Panther was probably gonna be the next one up. Maybe still can be not sure. WW and female BP leading both universes as the popular one would be interesting. I think Marvel will push the Asian superhero as well, not sure how well he will do. DC outside of WW/aquaman I’m not too sure.

frostyxc

Did Hunter Biden write this post? Only someone who smokes a copious amount of crack could write that title.

While I am open to a surprise from DC, their track record up to this point is not great. Shazam! was enjoyable, Wonder Woman was bad, but not offensive like every other movie DC has released, and Joker was meh but interesting. The rest of DC's oeuvre are offshoots of the same infernal dumpster fire. I actually get exceptionally annoyed just thinking about sitting through Suicide Squad and Aquaman.

JimiNutz

Banned
Marvel and DC need to do their own thing.

I liked the idea of DC films being a bit less light hearted and maybe more grounded although the execution was terrible.

Marvel have got their own thing going on and don't need to compete since they are already massively successful and don't really show much sign of slowing down.

jadedm17

Doesnt your Superman idea kill all tension for a death? If theyre gonna immediately move on to another Supe then who cares if one dies?

MCU has real weight to their stories IMO.
DC I just dont care. Personally speaking.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Movie watchers have to reboot what they think about super hero movies it use to be you release a damn movie now everything is "Building universes" so advantage director, actor etc. who can just commit to a super hero movie and not being owned by a "universe".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a comic book fan or follow all these Avenger movies or whatever. I do like the modern era Batman movies.

But my brother used to collect tons of comics and when he'd allow me to look at them, he had tons of Marvel and DC stuff.

At the time I trended to liking Marvel more because it seemed more gritty and had real cities, whereas his DC comics seemed more goofy. He even called them Dumb Comics.

But I'd have to say watching a mishmash of random superhero movies the past 10+ years, DC based comic movies are way better.

I'd take Batman, WW and Superman over any Marvel Avengers or Antman or FF flicks. Although I did like Rising Phoenix. I think that movie got a bad wrap, but I liked it.

Top Bottom