• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a good N64 controller substitute for the PC (USB).

Xdrive05

The Adaptoid is going for well over $100 on eBay right now, so that's completely out. And the generic PSX/N64 adapter apparently doesn't actually work with the N64 controller accorder to reviews and feedback, so what's the next best thing?

I have a knock-off MadCatz PSX USB controller, but I need a knock-off N64 one. Thanks.

:)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I will probably get shot for this, but I find a regular PS2 (dualshock 2) controller works fine for N64 emulation - if that's what you're intending to use it for of course :)

(Make sure you get a decent input plugin like Nrage as well.)

Xdrive05

Raw64life said:
Wow. I bought an Adaptoid a couple of years ago for $25. Didn't know they were going for that much these days.

I think they quit making them several years ago, and there aren't too many floating around this day and time. But I expect them to go for no less than $150 on eBay right now. That looks about right. I've tried using my DS2 knockoff but it just feels off to me. I guess I can get used to it though.

So is there really no N64 knockoff for PC? Has Nintendo kept 3rd parties from making one or something?

Quartet

i have a guillemot T_LEADER 3D, not USB but does the job fine, closest to a N64 controler on PC i saw so far, both in the look and in the feel.

Or... use a N64 controller... thats what I do. Why substitute???

Get a N64 usb adapter, and controller aren't THAT hard to find yet.
I had two of the adapters since i didn't know how long they would last. The first lasted 3 weeks, the second is 6 years in and still being used for paper mario and goldeneye

MegaByte

Xdrive05 said:
the generic PSX/N64 adapter apparently doesn't actually work with the N64 controller accorder to reviews and feedback

Hmm? Mine works fine... maybe somebody forgot to switch it into N64 mode?

MutFox

Banned
MegaByte said:
Hmm? Mine works fine... maybe somebody forgot to switch it into N64 mode?

I just bought 2 of them, 1 of them was fine, the other was defective.
Sent the defective one back, and waiting for the new one to arrive.

By defective I mean, the buttons kept getting pushed, and there was no way of stopping it.

The analog is kinda iffy still, but I can fix that in the n64 emulator.
I'm mostly using the controllers for the digital pad though.
(MAME games, nice having 6 face buttons and a GOOD d-pad.)

Has there been any release date for the PC usb wireless adapter for 360 peripherals...or is it still "holiday '06"?

It would be nice if something similar would be available for PS3 controllers. I'd like the ability to have both adapters plugged into my HTPC and choose either a 360 or PS3 wireless controller depending on the game.

Xdrive05

Thanks for the help, folks. I didn't know that PSX/N64 adapter actually works with the N64 controller. I've been seeing all over the place where people claimed it didn't. I can live without rumble to finally get to play my Master Quest at 1280x1024. Thanks again.

Top Bottom