• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loki |OT| Time Crimes

bitbydeath

New episode was good, I wouldn’t say it’s up there with WandaVision yet but it already feels like it has more purpose and definitely higher stakes than Falcon and WS.

McCheese

The Spanish dub credits confirm it's not Lady Loki.

It's Sylvie. A.k.a. Enchantress.

It seems like it's both, the variant paperwork in the episode says it's a Loki variant named Sylvie.

I guess they combined the two characters into one for the show.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Entertaining episode. One part really took me out of it

When Loki is fighting a regular human that was taken over he had the strength and endurance of a normal man and didn't use his powers at all. This is the same Loki we watched nearly beat Captain America with nothing but a staff, hitting so hard Cap could barely block the attacks, and who withstood a pummeling by the Hulk and was fine a minute later.

Bit of lazy depowering just to write a scene. But overall it was as good as the first episode, if not a little better.

bitbydeath

When Loki is fighting a regular human that was taken over he had the strength and endurance of a normal man and didn't use his powers at all. This is the same Loki we watched nearly beat Captain America with nothing but a staff, hitting so hard Cap could barely block the attacks, and who withstood a pummeling by the Hulk and was fine a minute later.

Bit of lazy depowering just to write a scene. But overall it was as good as the first episode, if not a little better.
Agreed, said the same thing to my wife at the time, about the powers.

sol_bad

Mebe to big burly man gained powers when he was taken over?

*EDIT*
The thing that's taking me out of the show is that there a massive universe to be explored with thousands of plants but they keep going to Earth.

Last edited:

Fbh

Episode 2 was pretty entertaining.
I thought they would really stretch out the whole deal about finding the variant. Plesantly surprised to see it adopt a faster pace

*EDIT*
The thing that's taking me out of the show is that there a massive universe to be explored with thousands of plants but they keep going to Earth.

Yeah that's the one thing that really bothers me so far. It's supposed to be this god like organization enforcing the correct timeline of the entire universe.
And yet they keep going back to earth, and everyone looks human.

McCheese

Episode 2 was pretty entertaining.
I thought they would really stretch out the whole deal about finding the variant. Plesantly surprised to see it adopt a faster pace

Yeah that's the one thing that really bothers me so far. It's supposed to be this god like organization enforcing the correct timeline of the entire universe.
And yet they keep going back to earth, and everyone looks human.

In the comics they are all just "created" so are humanoid similar to the time keepers themselves, think non-identical twins. But in the show they've gone for representation (black, latino etc) which sort of opens up the pandoras box question of why a variety of humans but not a variety of lifeforms. I thought I saw a Kree in the first episode? But the actual answer is of course, budgets.

The Loki nerf in the latest episode was just weird, getting his ass beat by an overweight time-keeper with a stick is one thing, but getting his ass beat again by random guy shopping at k-mart was a bit too much. They could easily had explained it by having some sort of power-draining collar or magic limiting spell on him or something, but nope, he's just a 'lil bitch now. Also the set for the super market wasn''t even dressed, had 2020 items on all the shelves despite it being 2050 (I think?).

Minor complaints though, show is really interesting so far even if a bit rough around the edges.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

bitbydeath

*EDIT*
I was surprised by the number of people who died in Asgard. Only a bit over 9000 for the entire planet?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Finally sat down last night to watch the first two episodes and Disney seems to have recaptured the mystery and magic from Wandavision that Falcon was missing. Falcon was good, but it was very predictable. But with Wanda and Loki I have no idea where they going with it and making up theories to fit your guesses is half the fun.

Disney seems to have done it again.

HoodWinked

this is so enjoyable. its funny one of the coolest parts is when all those branches start forming on the timeline, and yet it's something so mundane just a screen with some lines on it.

Susurrus

Am kind of confused why the TVA wouldn't have stopped the Endgame Thanos. He stepped into another timeline that's in the future. Not only did he impact it, BUT he impacted his own by not being there to perform the snap and set that whole event in his own timeline because of his death where he crossed over to. Yet, Loki grabbing the tesseract in one timeline, not impacting others, is immediately arrested by the TVA?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Am kind of confused why the TVA wouldn't have stopped the Endgame Thanos. He stepped into another timeline that's in the future. Not only did he impact it, BUT he impacted his own by not being there to perform the snap and set that whole event in his own timeline because of his death where he crossed over to. Yet, Loki grabbing the tesseract in one timeline, not impacting others, is immediately arrested by the TVA?
"It was supposed to happen". That's why. I have a deeper theory on that, but I don't want to get too deep into that.

Lets just say I think the "Timekeepers" have a very specific timeline they are wanting to enforce. One that ends in a very specific way for "them".

JayK47

I am enjoying this way more than WandaVision. Not a fan of the Avengers or Thor, yet I enjoy Loki. And I always enjoy Owen Wilson shows/movies.

Dazrael

Yeah he, and his army, would have been variants but my understanding would be that as Tony snapped them out of existence he effectively would have done the TVA’s job for them.

With Steve going back and returning the stone to Morag at the moment it left then Nebula wouldn’t have shorted out with the absence of the stone and that era’s Thanos would have been none the wiser and would have merrily continued onto his destiny. At least I think…Endgame bended the rules but I don’t think it broke the Sacred Timeline purely from the result that was always going to happen anyway. Gamora however…

Ulysses 31

Yet, Loki grabbing the tesseract in one timeline, not impacting others, is immediately arrested by the TVA?
Even stranger is how that act is considered a variant when it's completely in character of Loki to pick it up when he did. Was he really supposed to not pick it up when it drops at his feet when he knows what it is and what it can do? :goog_unsure:

Seems more like the TVA should've had beef with Banner and Stark who cause it to drop at Loki's feet.

sol_bad

Even stranger is how that act is considered a variant when it's completely in character of Loki to pick it up when he did. Was he really supposed to not pick it up when it drops at his feet when he knows what it is and what it can do? :goog_unsure:

Seems more like the TVA should've had beef with Banner and Stark who cause it to drop at Loki's feet.

I'm guessing one of the SHIELD soldiers were originally supposed to pick it up but for some reason Loki got to it first.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I'm guessing one of the SHIELD soldiers were originally supposed to pick it up but for some reason Loki got to it first.
I'm also guessing (part of) the TVA just needed an excuse to arrest him for his help but that's a scummy way of soliciting someone's help.

sol_bad

I'm also guessing (part of) the TVA just needed an excuse to arrest him for his help but that's a scummy way of soliciting someone's help.

I'm not sure, Mobius didn't know he was "arrested" originally and if he didn't step in during the court showing they would have killed him.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Really hope this Loki variant has at least some rough edges and is not just straight up better at everything then Loki …

The variant is already stronger, better at scheming, smarter …

Would be really boring. Can’t shake the feeling they made Loki a dumped down version of his former self, he comes of as a idiot a lot.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Really hope this Loki variant has at least some rough edges and is not just straight up better at everything then Loki …

The variant is already stronger, better at scheming, smarter …

Would be really boring. Can’t shake the feeling they made Loki a dumped down version of his former self, he comes of as a idiot a lot.

If you look at the various writers' credentials it doesn't inspire confidence. It seems like they scraped the absolute bottom of the barrel. But I am hoping they pull out a win in the end.

SkylineRKR

lol fuck this article. Basically, whatever happens is okay as long as gender fluidity is being pushed. Its more important than a good series after all. If you don't want to click it:

Marvel have been historically bad at representing LGBTQ+ characters up until this point, but some new developments suggest that could be changing for the better. If so, then we hope that the Loki TV show makes some progress in the four episodes that remain at least.

It's about time that Marvel explored Loki's queerness, and just giving him a female counterpart, like a She-Hulk to his Hulk, won't do his character justice. Even if Sophia's take on the character turns out to be gender fluid too, it would be far more impactful to explore that with someone more established like Tom Hiddleston's character.

Unless of course, this isn't Lady Loki at all. While Martino's costume is extremely similar to what Hiddleston wears on screen, and the TVA also describes her as a Loki variant, we wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pulls a switcheroo on us and reveals there's more going on than meets the eye.

Is Lady Loki really evil or is the multiverse not as bad as the Judge makes out? What if this isn't Loki at all and it's actually the Enchantress, a classic Thor villain who dabbles in illusions and trickery too? The rumour mill certainly suggests this could be a possibility. But as long as Marvel explores Loki's gender fluidity with some actual depth on screen, we're good with whatever happens.

Historically bad folks, remember the news? They should've been convicted for it, it was that bad.

I like Loki so far, Hiddleston is doing a good job, but its easily the most confusing MCU piece so far. Wandavision was more of a whodunit, this can go anywhere with so many timelines and shit.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned

lol fuck this article. Basically, whatever happens is okay as long as gender fluidity is being pushed. Its more important than a good series after all.

I like Loki so far, Hiddleston is doing a good job, but its easily the most confusing MCU piece so far. Wandavision was more of a whodunit, this can go anywhere with so many timelines and shit.

Its not Lady Loki, its Enchantress acting like Lady Loki

ManaByte

lol fuck this article. Basically, whatever happens is okay as long as gender fluidity is being pushed. Its more important than a good series after all. If you don't want to click it:

Marvel have been historically bad at representing LGBTQ+ characters up until this point, but some new developments suggest that could be changing for the better. If so, then we hope that the Loki TV show makes some progress in the four episodes that remain at least.

It's about time that Marvel explored Loki's queerness, and just giving him a female counterpart, like a She-Hulk to his Hulk, won't do his character justice. Even if Sophia's take on the character turns out to be gender fluid too, it would be far more impactful to explore that with someone more established like Tom Hiddleston's character.

Unless of course, this isn't Lady Loki at all. While Martino's costume is extremely similar to what Hiddleston wears on screen, and the TVA also describes her as a Loki variant, we wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pulls a switcheroo on us and reveals there's more going on than meets the eye.

Is Lady Loki really evil or is the multiverse not as bad as the Judge makes out? What if this isn't Loki at all and it's actually the Enchantress, a classic Thor villain who dabbles in illusions and trickery too? The rumour mill certainly suggests this could be a possibility. But as long as Marvel explores Loki's gender fluidity with some actual depth on screen, we're good with whatever happens.

Historically bad folks, remember the news? They should've been convicted for it, it was that bad.

I'm pretty sure the same site jumped the gun and confirmed that Fox's Quicksilver was in WandaVision after the first appearance of Evan Peters in the show. Likewise, this isn't likely Lady Loki but instead Enchantress either pretending to be Loki or is Loki's sister from a different timeline.

GeorgPrime

Banned
That would be a good slap in the face btw. Hope so.

Just check the spanish dub for the characters - the character is called "Sylvie" and thats the name of "Enchantress"

They already confirmed that it was a mistake and wasnt supposed to be leaked until later.

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31

In Antman they always said "Time flows differently in the quantum space", that is the same sentence Moebius said to Loki in the elevator "Time flows differenetly in the TVA". Its also known that there is a city in the quantum space (you can see it in the scene with Professor Pym and his wife in the background)

d9fd76ae-c848-4a68-9404-dada8e38b75a-xrjt03m44iw11.png

So the TVA may be connected to Antman and the Wasp and their Quantum Space reality and will lead up to the introduction of Kang the time lord / the conqueror

Last edited:

sol_bad

Great episode this week and it's painful waiting for next week damn it. Enjoyed watching Loki and Loki interact.
Nice end of episode set piece.

Yoboman

I really like Lady Loki, the actress is nailing the part

The cast in general is really great. Probably the weak spot of Wandavision and Falcon, which were otherwise good, but the cast were dry

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I love how Marvel is treating their television kind of like their comics. Letting writers just kind of go nuts with it. I loved this episode. Loki with daggers again, oddly cathartic.

Edit: I also loved how they just kept lying to one another. Perfect.

Last edited:

Shouta

Loki and Sylvie going back and forth the entire episode was great and I really liked the setting the episode takes place in. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in this series.

Top Bottom