• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loki |OT| Time Crimes

ManaByte

Gold Member
nhwu7u6j9h171.jpg

Loki, the God of Mischief, steps out of his brother's shadow to embark on an adventure that takes place after the events of "Avengers: Endgame."

Wednesday on Disney+ (NOT FRIDAYS), beginning June 9th.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I find it unlucky that a show about Loki will be as “boring” as F&WS simply because it involves magic so there are more possibilities/less limitations for where it can go. They aren’t going to do a near street level show about Loki. Plus, he’s one of the funnier/better characters in the MCU. This is a sure fire hit.

I fully expect to be quoted by people who hate it

sol_bad

Great first episode, has a very unique tone and feel to it. The story is different to what I thought it would be. Tom Hiddleston is a great actor of course.

I was up late last night and caught the first episode. I really liked it. To put it into perspective, I was bored by Falcon and Winter Soldier, despite liking the latter character in the movies, and didn’t like Wandavision save for the neighbor.

I was watching one of those "anti-woke" youtubers bashing this episode. I like the guy, but he was trying so hard to be outraged I just couldn't stand it.

Ulysses 31

I was watching one of those "anti-woke" youtubers bashing this episode. I like the guy, but he was trying so hard to be outraged I just couldn't stand it.
Maybe check these guys out who go through a lot of problems Endgame created for the MCU. :lollipop_grinning:

Also brings up questions of free will now with everything that happened in the MCU movies when micro choices in your life could lead you to be melted away because the TVA have predetermined everything.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Maybe check these guys out who go through a lot of problems Endgame created for the MCU. :lollipop_grinning:

Also brings up questions of free will now with everything that happened in the MCU movies when micro choices in your life could lead you to be melted away because the TVA have predetermined everything.

I don't think those people ever saw Rick and Morty. The melting thing fits with the humor from that show (the creator/head writer of this is from Rick and Morty).

Ulysses 31

I don't think those people ever saw Rick and Morty. The melting thing fits with the humor from that show (the creator/head writer of this is from Rick and Morty).
Could very well be the case since so far since I haven't heard them mention Rick and Morty but I don't see how it addresses their criticisms of the TVA(authoritians, letting the snap and unsnap happen(same thing with the Eternals)).

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
was the Time Variance Authority in the comics always a parody of 1950s propaganda and tech? it's very reminiscent of the way Fallout did it with the disney mascot 1984 fascism. like the clock face is basically vault boy

Last edited:

McCheese

^ And the General Motors 1965 reception desk

--

I got more of a Dark City vibe from the TVA building, faux 60's shell masking high-tech futuristic technology.

Loved how they reset the power-levels of the MCU without giving a fuck, in the first episode! zero pussying about this being the start of the next phase.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jesus, I have this issue somewhere. No wonder the TVA thing kept bugging me - It was in the very first FF comic book I ever bought!

Yea they're very very very closely connected to Kang the Conquerer.

Who has already been cast and will be in Ant-Man and The Wasp in Quantumania.

was it nerd rotic or the quartering dudes lol
Heelvsbabyface.

I'm curious to see what Gary (nerdrotic) has to say.

Yeah, the snap created a lot of problems for the MCU. But honestly, I'm not worried about things making sense. I just want to be entertained.

Ironbunny

Great pilot. Cant really say anything bad about it. Owen Wilson as Mobius was great and a bit different from the roles he usually plays and Tom Hiddleston as Loki didnt fail here either. I think this is the best of the tv-shows so far.

sol_bad

Heelvsbabyface.

I'm curious to see what Gary (nerdrotic) has to say.

Yeah, the snap created a lot of problems for the MCU. But honestly, I'm not worried about things making sense. I just want to be entertained.

I feel like I an torturing myself when I watch Nerdrotic. Guess he has his audience he has to entertain though.
And I can't understand why the snap has caused problems.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

And I can't understand why the snap has caused problems.
Coz the MCU glosses over the choas an event like the snap would create over 5 years and the choas when it's undone. And that's ignoring the implications of being able to time travel now and how that messes with any major stakes that might pop up in the future.

They should've stuck to the comics where the snap was for a very brief period.

And Loki adds that it all was according to a TVA script.

sol_bad

Coz the MCU glosses over the choas an event like the snap would create over 5 years and the choas when it's undone. And that's ignoring the implications of being able to time travel now and how that messes with any major stakes that might pop up in the future.

They should've stuck to the comics where the snap was for a very brief period.

And Loki adds that it all was according to a TVA script.

Time travel in the MCU is not a get out of jail free card. Time traveling is going to another reality in the MCU, if someone dies you can't bring them back to life with time travel, they are dead forever. Unless they use the time stone, that's the only real way to bring someone back and no one cared when that was introduced in Doctor Strange. As for glossing over the chaos of the snap, the movie is already 3 hours long, there is no need to stuff the film with unneeded exposition. The story is about reversing the snap, the story is not about the chaos of the snap.

As for the TVA confirming that everyone's time line already being decided, it doesn't change for the audience, we don't know what the outcome is going to be for any specific event. We don't know what heroes will live or die.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if during this series they show a way in which people can break out of their TVA shackles and create their own future. The way Mobius talks to Loki suggests this with how he keeps questioning him about what he gets out of what he is doing, like he is trying to change Loki's thought process.

Kenpachii

Yea didn't like it.

Kinda takes the piss out of those avenger movies with the stones.

The whole time keepers, that are these overpowered beings far superior yet they wouldn't interfear with thanos lol.

Super far reached. Everything just feels like tacket on and tacky while at it.

Just felt like loki is pulling a dbz here on the story lines.

The only half decent actor in the first episode was owens, everything else was straight trash.

Won't be watching it further.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Time travel in the MCU is not a get out of jail free card. Time traveling is going to another reality in the MCU, if someone dies you can't bring them back to life with time travel, they are dead forever. Unless they use the time stone, that's the only real way to bring someone back and no one cared when that was introduced in Doctor Strange.
Doesn't really matter when there's infinite alternate universes, there's bound to be a character the same enough to replace the one that died like they did with Gamora.
I read a rumor about Black Widow having an after credit scene with a backshot of someone in the end game time suit.
As for glossing over the chaos of the snap, the movie is already 3 hours long, there is no need to stuff the film with unneeded exposition. The story is about reversing the snap, the story is not about the chaos of the snap.
So there should've been a movie/serie that took place during the 5 years of the snap showing how the world was trying to recover. I'm sure there could be interesting stories about that time period.
As for the TVA confirming that everyone's time line already being decided, it doesn't change for the audience, we don't know what the outcome is going to be for any specific event. We don't know what heroes will live or die.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if during this series they show a way in which people can break out of their TVA shackles and create their own future. The way Mobius talks to Loki suggests this with how he keeps questioning him about what he gets out of what he is doing, like he is trying to change Loki's thought process.
Doesn't really matter how this series concludes unless it all turns out to be some illusion by someone, the TVA are established to have have a hand in the flow of time up to now so that taints any MCU show up to this point.

It does solve all contrivences though. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is that speculation of yours or have they announced a show that will revisit that time period? I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

Don't know if it means anything or not, but signs in the background during the filming of Shang-Chi had the year 2020 on them. Could be old signs, or the movie could be set during the blip.

Top Bottom