• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games bringing physical copies of indie games to Vita/PS4

Thought I'd be the one to make the thread then (Robert from Zeboyd Games, you disappoint)

qha7UeoS.png

"Limited Run Games", seemingly a subsidiary of Mighty Rabbit Studios (Breach & Clear; Saturday Morning RPG) appear to be planning multiple limited-run physical releases for Vita and PS4 games, the first one on their list being a 1,500 copy print run of Breach & Clear for Vita:

They mention that their second game is going to be Saturday Morning RPG for PS4 (note, both games so far are developed by their parent studio, Mighty Rabbit Studios):

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/651835129283891200

In this interview with them they talk about a lot of interesting stuff, including the fact that they've got over 40 games they'd like to pick up, including ones from other developers:

http://www.pocket-console.com/2015/10/an-interview-with-limited-run-games.html

MAC: To what extent was Breach & Clear being on Vita what helped it become your first Limited Run project?

JF: Breach & Clear was the first game Mighty Rabbit Studios (parent company to Limited Run Games) shipped on an "official" console or handheld. Naturally, it made sense that we should take a gamble on it and make it our first physical release. The physical release of the game ended up giving us more time to clean up the game, fix bugs, and adjust based on reviews of the digital version, so that was a nice bonus. Really, if we could have published any game in the world to launch Limited Run Games with we'd probably have picked something else that would have created more buzz. The problem with that is why would any other developers trust us before we had our own physical release? Breach & Clear is being utilized as a test run to show other developers that we can do this, and we can do it right. It's also going to hopefully show that people are still hungry for physical Vita releases, which seem to really be drying up recently.

MAC: You mentioned on Twitter that PS4 projects would have a lower production cost than Vita, so will that be a focus early on over Vita titles? Are Sony products going to be the main focus for now?

JF: Sony consoles and handhelds are the main focus right now, and that's due to how progressive Sony is with allowing smaller publishers to do physical runs. I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo. I don't get the feeling that either of the latter want to waste their time with smaller print runs. This is just one more reason on the pile of reasons to develop for Sony.

Due to the proprietary cartridge format of Vita games, production costs are about 50% higher. With our earlier releases we plan to stagger them by releasing PS4 discs first, when possible, followed by Vita carts. We'd do this to utilize any gains from the PS4 run to fund the Vita run. That said, we definitely plan to publish Vita exclusive games - we'll just have to stick to smaller print runs on those until we've built up our funds a bit.

MAC: What are your plans for working with other devs on limited print runs? Anything in the works already?

JF: We currently have a list of over forty games that we'd love to bring into the physical realm. It's a good mix of PS4 and Vita titles both upcoming and already released. We're already in talks with a few developers and their games are awesome - I wish I could say more! If any of your readers have a favorite game that isn't available physically, they should definitely feel free to drop our name to that game's developer.

I realise I'm probably sabotaging my chances of getting a copy by opening up this topic of discussion further, but it was bound to happen anyway :p

Ack. I searched both here and through google and came up with nothing. Sorry.

(Edit: Just realised that thread was probably submitted as I was still typing this one)

Lock it up!

hawk2025

MAC: You mentioned on Twitter that PS4 projects would have a lower production cost than Vita, so will that be a focus early on over Vita titles? Are Sony products going to be the main focus for now?

JF: Sony consoles and handhelds are the main focus right now, and that's due to how progressive Sony is with allowing smaller publishers to do physical runs. I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo. I don't get the feeling that either of the latter want to waste their time with smaller print runs. This is just one more reason on the pile of reasons to develop for Sony.

Aha, there we go.

That helps explain Shovel Knight on Xbox One disappearing, perhaps.

Top Bottom