• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like A Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name - Will Also Not Have Phyical Release In West - Digital Only.

Rayderism

Huh.....I wasn't following this game because I thought it was going to be another turn-based battle game like the previous Like A Dragon, which I absolutely hated. Not sure when it happened, but I just can't tolerate turn-based games anymore. I played and enjoyed all previous Yakuza games, but Like a Dragon essentially killed my interest in them once they went turn-based.

But earlier today I discovered that this one will return to the action-based fighting. So now I'm all in. I haven't bought physical games since PS3, so it doesn't bother me one little bit that there will be no physical version.

But I DO feel for those that still prefer physical games. Sadly, I think physical will be all but gone by next-gen. THEY want it to happen because it's cheaper for THEM.

Reactions: Dis

RavageX

A lot of digital only folks sound so bitter and so happy to know a release is only digital.

This happened to PC gamers many many years ago, basically companies placed their hands on your shoulders and slowly forced you to your knees. You did protest at first, but eventually yielded and convinced yourselves that what was happening might be a good thing. At that point you even unzipped the pants yourself.

Things escalated to where you found yourself on your hands and knees, with multiple companies having a go. Probably around the time microtransactions, multiple launchers and the online requirements became real popular.

Since there's no more resistance from you guys, ya pretty much take whatever is given to you and say thank you after, companies are now moving towards console gamers with this and you guys are eagerly waiting and watching so you can fluff these companies up and make things easier for the console gamers eh?

RavageX

This might be the first Yakuza game i skip. Writing has been on the wall a bit, I kinda feel like its more cut and paste instead of pushing boundaries.

Cashing in on what has been built before. Judgement series and Yakuza 7 is a bit different, but not enough. Especially story(side story) wise.

Skateboarding doesnt really fit with Lost Judgement now does it? That VR game doesnt make a bit of sense to me either. High school dancing?

Kazama is a spy of some sort? An agent? Using wires(?) to fight? Leave the man alone at this point really, you are going to jump the shark with him.

A lot of it just feels like they have run out of ideas and are just throwing things at a wall now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The west as in Europe is not getting a physical release after all (despite previous news)? Welp I guess I'm going back to the idea of not buying it day1.

I would assume it's also in Europe since the tweet is from the English RGG account.

If it's physical in EU, I'll import the fuck out of it too.

Mhmmm 2077

It can only not affect you if you aren’t even buying this game. Is that what you meant?

Digital only mean you are paying whatever price Sega demands. No retailer discounts. No used games. No trade-ins.

Digital only means no refunds. No resales. No lending. No trade-ins.
Oh there are refunds on Steam and that's where I'm gaming 99% of the time. Another thing is that "whatever price Sega demands" is probably gonna be worth it for a new Yakuza game anyway (at least for me).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got an email from Play Asia that the cover for the physical release there is in Chinese.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Guess I'm just playing the game pass version, if at all.

Esppiral

Good. As I predicted, physical stuff is slowly fading out. Only a matter of time. Digital is too convenient and faster anyways, games are pre loaded and no need to wait to put disks in and then sit for another 10 minute install.

Also with games costing more money, cutting costs on discs and front covers and boxes makes sense.

Alan Wake 2 - No physical
Like a Dragon - No physical

Thank lord, who's next?
Do you feel special?

TidusYuna

To be clear, the English Dub will be added via patch. But this game will have English Subtitles on the the disc. This is the English cover for those who prefer that.

cireza

I have done this. Am I messing something up stacking em this way?
Oh really ? Meant this as a general advice. But if you did this, you simply need to understand that the game at the very bottom actually supports the weight off every single game above it. This is not great on the long term.

It is better to make rows of vertical games.

TidusYuna

Oh really ? Meant this as a general advice. But if you did this, you simply need to understand that the game at the very bottom actually supports the weight off every single game above it. This is not great on the long term.

It is better to make rows of vertical games.

Yea, Majority of my games are stacked from left to right. But I got a couple games that are waiting for a shelf which are stacked bottom to top. Won't be doing that anymore. Appreciate the tip.

Top Bottom