• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's put it to bed. Your last word on the current console generation.

mcz117chief

It was ok, nothing special. Switch pleasantly surprised me though, Fire Emblem Three Houses is my GOTG.

Probably the second best PS console for me and by far the worst Xbox console ever made. Still can't believe we went an entire console generation without a good Halo game.

Well there is Fireteam Raven, but I dunno if you can count it. It DID come out during this console generation, just not on any of the consoles :p

Last edited:

YuLY

A lot of people are saying its the best gen and games are now the best they've ever been. I kinda disagree. While we have gotten great games like Witcher 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Doom (2016), I feel like most of the heavy hitter francises were the best on the 360 gen and we had fewer big new IPs and some big ones never even showed up.

Think about it, this is the gen where we had no new GTA, Bioshock, TES or Splinter Cell. No entries, at all. And regarding the big francises, they were still from the 360 most of em with better entries: This gen we had Mass Effect Andromeda compared to the trilogy on 360, we had Assassins Creed Oddyssey compared to AC2 and Black Flag, Wolfenstein Youngblood and 2 compared to The New Order which I consider one of the best FPS games ever made.

I feel like this gen, for every francise that did well and reivigorated itself (like God of War) there is a dozen of em that dropped the ball, hard. In the end, I see it as weaker than the 360/ps3 gen, more of a continuation of that gen but with weaker entries.

kriolo

Microsoft: great services,Little exclusives.Xbox one x didnt turned out to be the baddest mfucker in town in terms of power but a miracle in design.Best place to play 3rd party games

Sony:they know their shit.Games Games Games great hardware refresh (Ps4 pro)even one year early vs x1x and the diference was very little.huge fanbase

Nintendo: swimming in cash,cant wait to the next innovation

For the Next generation stop the remastered versions and put a stop in day1 dlc cause youre going to 70 usd now

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This was a glorious generation from Sony, mostly for 1st party games being the top along with honorable mentions like the phenomenal game known as The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. With one controversial game at number 10.

My top 10 this gen:

1. God of War.
2. Uncharted 4.
3. Ghost of Tsushima.
4. Horizon Zero Dawn.
5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
6. The Last of US Part II.
7. Days Gone.
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
9. Death Stranding.
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Didn't put TLOU remastered because it's originally PS3.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Damn people really miss gen 7? That thing sucked XD

Gen 6 & 6. This generation feels like the natural evolution of standardization and genre merging with even more monetization schemes. Games are so expensive these days it's harder for most developers to release something quirky. I guess you could counter that the holes left by the big studios focusing on blockbuster games is filed by indies, but even indie developers tend to chase trends. How many rogue likes or metroidvania clones do we need?

One of my favorite games this year is THPS1+2. I'd kill for the same treatment for SSX or Downhill Domination.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think this generation was shit and I have little hope the next is going to be any better. Not because of the hardware, which was pretty good, but because game design seems to be moving in a bad direction where 99% of the effort is being put into generating ever more shiny assets and less and less into the actual game.
Compared to what? Modern gameplay systems have more depth than anything before

Tschumi

I'd kill for the same treatment for SSX

I'm playing ssx (ps3) at the moment... i can't understand why they took away the 'choose your own rider/conquor the mountain' approach of ssx3 and made it this globe trotting thing where you couldn't choose your riders... at least, maybe it's like that because i'm still early in my playthrough..

.. but yeah, i'd kill for a reboot of ssx3 specifically, with most of the same characters, and 3 mountains instead of the one i guess... i was a serious badass at ssx3 on my gamecube :tears:

YuLY

Mass Effect 1 & 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, Assassins Creed 2+Brotherhood, Halo 3, Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Dead Space, Dishonored, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Far Cry 3+Blood Dragon, Dark Souls 1, Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA 5 and 4, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 3....I can barely stop.

Please tell me your post was in jest, or I will lose hope in humanity.

The Alien

Banned
More remakes, more reboots, and more sequels.

I enjoyed many of them, but there weren't too many memorably innovative games this gen.

Enzo88

Mass Effect 1 & 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, Assassins Creed 2+Brotherhood, Halo 3, Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Dead Space, Dishonored, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Far Cry 3+Blood Dragon, Dark Souls 1, Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA 5 and 4, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 3....I can barely stop.

Please tell me your post was in jest, or I will lose hope in humanity.
Don`t get me wrong, you can list good games in each gen, but comparatively, yes it sucked for me.

Especially cause Japanese companies struggled, so that opinion really depends on personal taste obviously.

A lot of games in that list did nothing for me and i consider them vastly overrated, for example.

Last edited:

YuLY

Especially cause Japanese companies struggled, so that opinion really depends on personal taste obviously.

A lot of games in that list did nothing for me and i consider them vastly overrated, for example.

Dunno man, I guess we are into totally different style of games if those games did nothing for you. For me it was core games heaven. You said even Japanese companies struggled, I mean their style isnt really my thing very much, but I still loved the hell out of things like Binary Domain, Vanquish, Lost Planet 1, Dragon's Dogma. I guess you arent much into AAA core games.

Enzo88

Dunno man, I guess we are into totally different style of games if those games did nothing for you. For me it was core games heaven. You said even Japanese companies struggled, I mean their style isnt really my thing very much, but I still loved the hell out of things like Binary Domain, Vanquish, Lost Planet 1, Dragon's Dogma. I guess you arent much into AAA core games.
I played all of those, they all left me nothing other than Vanquish.

DonJimbo

The first generation Sony made online behind a paywall and I didn't play multiplayer
Played online on PS3 and it is full of hackers and I quit multiplayer forever

PSYGN

• Generation of the remasters and playing it safe
  • Sony first party titles picked up the slack
  • Companies seeing how far they can reach into consumers pockets and realizing that the idiots will gripe but buy anyway and thus not caring

Last edited:

Tschumi

The first generation Sony made online behind a paywall and I didn't play multiplayer
Played online on PS3 and it is full of hackers and I quit multiplayer forever
you know this kinda touches on something i've been thinking about recently since i got a ps3 and looked at playstation plus... we're paying a sub... to buy a game... which we lose access to when the sub runs out? Is that the way plus exclusives work? Or are those games free? I don't think they are - otherwise what xbox is trying to do wouldn't be getting so much news i guess? am i seriously going to pay $15 for a month, or whatever, in order to have the privilege to, essentially, rent a game for that month, losing access when the month ends? And yeah, multiplayer behind a pay wall... i don't get it and i don't get how people are so happy with this whole subscription crap - i'm sure gamepass will be the same, if you stop paying the sub your games will just vapourise away... what happens in 10 years when they discontinue it and all the games we paid good money for - well over retail price after a good 240 months of sub fees - disappear? I. don't. get. it.

bender

What time is it?
I'm playing ssx (ps3) at the moment... i can't understand why they took away the 'choose your own rider/conquor the mountain' approach of ssx3 and made it this globe trotting thing where you couldn't choose your riders... at least, maybe it's like that because i'm still early in my playthrough..

.. but yeah, i'd kill for a reboot of ssx3 specifically, with most of the same characters, and 3 mountains instead of the one i guess... i was a serious badass at ssx3 on my gamecube :tears:

Maybe it's because I've been playing SSX3 via BC on XOX (riding down the entire mountain is still awesome) but I'm really longing to play Tricky and On Tour.

Tschumi

Maybe it's because I've been playing SSX3 via BC on XOX (riding down the entire mountain is still awesome) but I'm really longing to play Tricky and On Tour.
have u played them?

tricky was the first title in the series i played, got it on gamecube... it was really, really cool. the races were more wild than 3... I played it heaps, but really, 3 just took the gameplay to another universe, it was nuts... i don't think i could go back to tricky. On Tour, ehhh, i would actually suggest u play it as the PSP version on a playstation vita :p maybe even vita tv so u can play it on the big screen... because that version actually has a lot of ssx3 gameplay that wasn't present in the full console versions... the full console versions of on tour lacked the magic, they were too.. zaney and lacked the character lineup etc... really though, ssx3 is the mt everest of that series and, like, wild sports games in general. imo. as you say, riding down the mountain, but all of the jump physics, trick mechanics, alternate routes and shortcuts, upgrades, gear, characters, they got all of it juuuust right.

EDIT: SSX (ps3/360) is actually closer to ssx3 i think, though for some reason it's impossible to fall off rails, you follow them even whilst in mid-air doing uber tricks, which is a bit wacky. but yeah what i said in the first post on this about it messing with the gameplay loop of ssx3 is my final gripe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elog

I am an old geezer and have been through all electronic games generations (yes...started with a TI994A in 1979 - I was 7 years old). Looking at some of the answers I can sense the ease by which we all remember our first game generation with an irrational halo.

This generation actually brought something unique in my mind. This is the first generation that allowed super tight combat in 3D: Smooth FPS with clear but subtle visual queues regarding a combatant's next move, close to pixel perfect hit-boxes and low latency controls.

There were attempts at this in the last generation but the GPUs were not fully there to do it (DS2 is a prime example...almost there but not really).

So this is my key take away from this generation and I love it. This was only possible in 2D games before (or 2D/3D hybrids). Games that are prime example of this are DS3, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, HZD, DMC, GoW and GoT. I am super happy with the hardware upgrades that have made this possible.

bender

What time is it?
have u played them?

tricky was the first title in the series i played, got it on gamecube... it was really, really cool. the races were more wild than 3... I played it heaps, but really, 3 just took the gameplay to another universe, it was nuts... i don't think i could go back to tricky. On Tour, ehhh, i would actually suggest u play it as the PSP version on a playstation vita :p maybe even vita tv so u can play it on the big screen... because that version actually has a lot of ssx3 gameplay that wasn't present in the full console versions... the full console versions of on tour lacked the magic, they were too.. zaney and lacked the character lineup etc... really though, ssx3 is the mt everest of that series and, like, wild sports games in general. imo. as you say, riding down the mountain, but all of the jump physics, trick mechanics, alternate routes and shortcuts, upgrades, gear, characters, they got all of it juuuust right.

Of course. SSX was my go to when the PS2 launched.

Tschumi

I am an old geezer and have been through all electronic games generations (yes...started with a TI994A in 1979 - I was 7 years old). Looking at some of the answers I can sense the ease by which we all remember our first game generation with an irrational halo.

This generation actually brought something unique in my mind. This is the first generation that allowed super tight combat in 3D: Smooth FPS with clear but subtle visual queues regarding a combatant's next move, close to pixel perfect hit-boxes and low latency controls.

There were attempts at this in the last generation but the GPUs were not fully there to do it (DS2 is a prime example...almost there but not really).

So this is my key take away from this generation and I love it. This was only possible in 2D games before (or 2D/3D hybrids). Games that are prime example of this are DS3, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, HZD, DMC, GoW and GoT. I am super happy with the hardware upgrades that have made this possible.
this needed to be said, thanks for saying it mate... i feel, too, that a lot of the people saying ps2 etc was incredible... are overlooking that the gameplay in those games was really stoneage compared to where we're at at the moment... i mentioned it in my OP, those games stood out more back then, but qualitatively i think games this gen are better.

Of course. SSX was my go to when the PS2 launched.

right on, i never played the original... as much as i can't go back to tricky, i doubly doubt i could go back to OG ssx :p

MrS

Banned
PS4 Pro greatest console of all time and this was easily Sony’s best gen in terms of quality games.

Last edited:
what a legend!!!!!

god of war and ghost of tsushima

" yes i forgive you for being loud bitch- they say the loudest one in the room is the weakest-but i say the loudest bitch earned her noise "

Spaceman292

Banned
I think this generation was shit and I have little hope the next is going to be any better. Not because of the hardware, which was pretty good, but because game design seems to be moving in a bad direction where 99% of the effort is being put into generating ever more shiny assets and less and less into the actual game.
But this has been true for literally every generation. That's what generations are.

ZywyPL

Banned
giphy.gif

It all started very, VERY promising - 8-core CPU, 8GB GDDR5, enhanced PC GPU, x86 architecture that's suppose to make games development faster than ever before, and oh boy, the whole outcome couldn't get any more wrong - those 8 cores were shittier than a dual-core Celeron, almost half of the RAM was reserved for the OS, the GPU was a low-mid tier PC equivalent, and it all made the games not only started to drop frames but resolution as well since this gen started, with a good couple of steps backwards in regards to AI, physics, interactions etc., the said games take longer to develop than ever, half a decade even, with multiple delays, day-1 patches, or sometimes even being released literally in alpha/beta state, and most of them are open-world walking sims or on the rails "cinematic experiences" anyway a.k.a. borefest, online gameplay has become locked behind a paywall, where there's really hard to find a good shooter that's not a CoD or BR title to begin with, the list just goes on and on. There were a bunch of good/great titles but that's it, for me this generation passed by like it never happened.

cover1.jpg

Outside of a few, and I stress few, gems, it was largely wretched and devoid of creativity, full of games that generally overstayed their welcome and catered to particular types of players on various parts of the spectrum of their desire.

turtlepowa

Banned
The huge mistakes Microsoft made in 2013 did the most for the players. I'm pretty sure with a successful Xbox One we wouldn't have Game Pass, Crossbuy, Crossplay, BC, PC Ports and so on.

Without Microsoft there would most likely be no crossplay for PlayStation and no PS4 BC for PS5. So actually The Xbox One did the most for the players, no matter if Xbox, PS, Smartphone or PC. Even for Switch because of Ori and Cuphead :messenger_beaming:

For the Games: Too many generic open world and cinematic actions adventures. The Witcher 3 was great, Astro Bots and FH4 were amazing and Nintendo had some nice games. That's the best i can say about the games this gen. Last gen had better games in my opinion.

makaveli60

It started slow and it wasn't as good altogether as the previous gen for me but it was good mostly.

My last words?
Fuck SJWs and their puppeteers who are trying to destroy gaming and everything else in the world.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Hot take incoming;

The PS4 is a monument to where tribalism has taken "gamers" this generation. A noisy, hot running machine serving up dollops of over-the-shoulder-press-X-to-roll-boulder happened to become one of the most successful consoles of all time and is, for me, merely 'good'. It benefitted by having zero competition for half a generation.

Xbox was lucky to survive, it was such a mess as a concept. There's innovation gone wrong, then there's blind ignorance. They brought some stuff to the table that we now consider normal in console gaming, but nearly destroyed themselves in the process

Nintendo continue to dine out on the same three or four IPs, and that will probably continue to work well for them - but - when you're paying £300 for a console and £55 for a game is that really enough?

Disclaimer: I bought, owned and played on all three this generation and consider it to be inferior to the one before it. I'm looking forward to the new gen as it may provide less places to hide.

Tschumi

The Switch made me enthusiastic about games again.
It's next in my list of things to buy i think, i just wanna get access to that hemisphere of game options.. and to have a true tv/handheld experience (i love my Vita to bits but i can't do this) would be great

Some of the games this gen became one of my all time favourites like Bloodborne, Dragon Quest 11, nier automata and ff7:r. When it comes to female characters in gaming, aerith is perfection imo xd

Last edited:

TMLT

Easily the worst gen for me. The technological leap was relatively minor. Microtransactions and games as a service became the norm, digital overtook physical which killed off many games stores, identity politics spilled over into games, companies like Rockstar and Bethesda got extremely lazy, remakes and remasters seem a bit too common. By the end of it its kind of got me questioning for the first time ever if I really want to buy new consoles or just stick to retro stuff from now on.

That said, there were still some very good games over the years, 2017 in particular was stacked.

PS4 was interesting on release, I was looking forward to see what unified GDDR5 RAM would do for games. In the end, all I wanted to play was Horizon Zero Dawn which was not enough for me to make the investment.

Xbox One had a frustrating name (I collect OG Xbox titles) and had nothing of interest for me. It's controllers on the other hand, I own two of.

I don't see a lot of resale from this gen so most people must be going digital. Switch is where it's at for physical copies (though I often see parallel releases on PS4). But the void is coming...

At least the PS5 hardware looks sexy. I'll keep an eye on it and stay optimistic.

Last edited:

Porcile

All the console makers stuck to their niche so if you had no interest before more than likely you ended the generation with no interest too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The bad:
  • Microtransactions, DLCs and battle pass.
  • Movie games, style over substance.
  • Less quantity over previous gens.
  • Politics in your games.
  • Censorship in your adult oriented games.
The good:
  • Lot's of indie hits. It's easier than ever to make a game and publish it by yourself (at least on PC)
  • Boomer shooter renaissance. DOOM is back and we got DUSK, Amid Evil, Project Warlock, and many others!
  • VR seems to be giving us well done games, and not just little experiments.
  • Lots of cool games like Nier:Automata, Bloodborne, MGS V, and many more.

Top Bottom