• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Establish What Constitutes "Next Gen" for PS5/Xbox Series Generation

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
60 fps is the most overrated shit in gaming history.
Erm0LJZ.gif

Yeah motion clarity and input responsiveness are so overrated; can't wait for all those beautiful, but slow motion and laggy as fuck fighting games.

skit_data

Gears Hivebusters. That looks every bit as good Demons Souls if not better.
Hivebusters looks good no doubt, but once you look closer at textures they simply do not hold up as well at closer inspection. Demon’s Souls looks to be tesselated at pretty much every part of the screen except the skybox.

skit_data

Thats' not tessellation. That's Parallax Occlusion Mapping on the surfaces. And yes, it's the best use we've seen to date.
Thank you! I did not know how to describe it better, hence ”it looks to be tesselated”

Will you do a Part 2 of your analysis on Demon’s Souls? I was curious to see your opinions on some of the later stages, Especially 3-2/Upper Latria

johntown

Banned
There is nothing that can really be defined as next gen. The only thing that happens is graphics and features already in place improve (fps, resolution etc). It is doubtful that many games will see much difference besides maybe fps.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Maybe much higher geometry, much higher res for textures, shaders, shadows, more/better lighting effects (better if with Ray tracing), etc...

No DoF, CA, motion blur, Film grain, blurry AA... 🤮

Last edited:

Markio128

An improvement in visuals is a given, however, next gen to me has always been defined by the controllers - for instance, if you take the dual sense away from the PS5, you’ve just got a more powerful PS4. I can’t wait to play Returnal and R&C, but that is partly down to how the controller is being used. Controllers have been massively important - the SNES pad because it had the 6 buttons required to play SF2, the N64 pad because of the analogue stick and trigger button needed to play Mario 64 and the wii controller for obvious reasons. If you are just interested in constantly improving visuals, then you may as well get a PC.

Everyone here is dilusional if you think all games will be 60+fps this generation.

What if we get a game that looks like a blu-ray movie, but it runs at 30fps? Are you gonna just say nah... I ain't playing that because it ain't 60fps?

I'm pretty sure NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY complained when TLOU2 was 30fps. If 30fps is need to absolutely MAX the F out of the console, then it should be done.

I'm pretty convinced we haven't even come close to scratching the surface of this generation. Wait a couple years and you'll see stuff that looks pretty similar to the UE5 demo, but it ain't gonna be 60fps, that's for sure.

Plus, there's just something magical about 30fps motion to me. Maybe I'm a rare breed, but I actually like that theatrical look to certain games. It adds a certain quality or charm to the game, like if you played The Order 1886 at 60fps, it just wouldn't be the same. They were really trying to push for that CGI movie look and I think they nailed it and anything faster than 30fps would break that illusion.

We aren't done seeing 30fps games in my opinion. No matter how fast the hardware gets, you can cram more fidelity into a 30fps frame rate. That means better lighting, better physics, insane draw distances, animations, weather, reflections and anything else you can think of to make a game truly jaw dropping. Basically there are always sacrifices to getting to 60fps.

SSfox

The Next Gen Hardware is what define Next Gen, everything on the hardware specially SSD and CPU which are biggest leap compare to last. gen. No matter what specs aspect its up to the devs to express it in their games, in their way, whether it's RT, FPS, Res ect, some games need RT more than Res, and some need FPS more than Res ect. Devs (at least the smart ones) knows what should be prioritize.

And then most importantly you have the next gen games are shows and highlight on what constitute Next Gen, if you have a next gen console without the next gen games, then you have nothing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
nextgen is VR.

and the nextgen of VR is not here yet.

He's not wrong.

If you're talking about major leaps in the video game experience that take place between generations, then VR is the biggest leap since 3D graphics.

Yes, there's still a way to go in terms of ease of use, but we're maybe two years away from VR units that are small, easy to wear and provide high levels of graphical fidelity. That's when it goes mainstream. I fully expect the Quest 3 (or equivalent) to sell at console levels.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
60FPS as a bare minimum should be the trend, at least in my opinion it's higher in the priority list than somthing like ray tracing. Some games will work well as cinematic experiences at 30fps with super high fidelity I guess. But I play games to have fun first and foremost, I can watch actual movies for super high quality visuals.

I believe we are at a point in gaming where most games look "good" or at the very least "ok". Generational leap should be dictated by gameplay innovation rather than visual fidelity.

GametimeUK

If there's a PS4 and PS5 version it's cross gen, but the PS5 version is still the next gen version.

I'd argue that a lot of these game updates boost the games to cross gen status. I would definitely say Control or Borderlands 3 are actually PS5 games at this point.

Games are scalable across hardware. Updates like Control or cross gen games like Hitman just aren't playable with next gen visuals and performance.

jigglet

Banned
Frames baby. 120fps with graphics that look last gen to me are good enough. I've been playing 144hz on PC for the last year and I can't go back.

I tried 240fps for 10 mins and thought I died and went to heaven. I had to stop otherwise 144hz would be destroyed for me.

And for those who are wondering if there are declining returns - NO, there's absolutely not. Going from 240hz to 144hz was just as rough as going from 144 to 60, and 60 to 30.

But with the tech that we have today, I will consider 120 / 144 the current sweet spot. And my god it's sweet. This and faster loading are the only "next gen" things to me. I don't give 2 shits about ray tracing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Really? Tell me more

Clap Applause GIF

What's more interesting is that the PS4 tech demo was surpassed pretty soon on the PS4. Uncharted 4 dropped in 2016 and looked miles better than that demo. Then Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, God of War, RDR2, etc. came, and all those games are much better than the UE4 demo.

As odd as it may sound, I expect the UE5 demo to be surpassed by 2023-2024 by Sony's first party. Basically, just wait for Naughty Dog's or Sony Santa Monica's PS5 exclusive game.

For me 'next gen' is the pursuit of gameplay experiences simply not possible on the older gen consoles. We tend to get those experiences when developers actually make use of the new hardware technologies on hand. With cross-gen games right now we are simply witnessing existing game engines scaling up via raw hardware. With a few quick wins in utilising direct storage and PS5 raw IO. Some of these games can still look impressive. Can push higher framerates and have better graphics but at the end of the day they are still all designed to run on that base spec Xbox 1 and there is nothing 'next gen' to me about that.

Trimesh

Banned
So far, "next gen" means "same shit as before, but shinier". Wonderful for graphics whores, but deeply disappointing for anyone that's primarily interested in actual games.

ripeavocado

Banned
It's an half-assed Next Generation this is why other than a UE5 demo that is running at lower resolutions we haven't seen much else, even months after the console releases.

Many people have been fooled by marketing, probably the same people that 7 years ago believed that PS4 was weak because marketing did a poor job back the but simply the hardware isn't there this time.

if you want a real next gen wait for PS6 and Xbox Series 360 One SX in who knows how many years.

We will probably play some nice cross gen titles, better than Demon's Souls but not grounbreaking and that's it.

The only next-gen component is the SSD.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
So far, "next gen" means "same shit as before, but shinier". Wonderful for graphics whores, but deeply disappointing for anyone that's primarily interested in actual games.
I don't know about you, but my experience with Astro's Playroom was Next-Gen. The dualsense adds so much to the gameplay

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
It's an half-assed Next Generation this is why other than a UE5 demo that is running at lower resolutions we haven't seen much else, even months after the console releases.

Many people have been fooled by marketing, probably the same people that 7 years ago believed that PS4 was weak because marketing did a poor job back the but simply the hardware isn't there this time.

if you want a real next gen wait for PS6 and Xbox Series 360 One SX in who knows how many years.

We will probably play some nice cross gen titles, better than Demon's Souls but not grounbreaking and that's it.

The only next-gen component is the SSD.

Again with the resolution conversation. Resolution is not everything. Not in TV, not in Movies, not in games. Your pixel counters DF couldn't pixel count the Unreal Demo, they needed to ask. There's so much more to image quality that you can have a higher resolution image with way lower quality.

Who the fuck cares a game is at 4k or 1440p. As long as the image quality is sharp, it's a no brainer. Also, with the compute power required for full 4k rendering, it's way better to have a native 1440p and scale to 4k using reconstruction. 99% won't notice the difference, and you leave budget for other tasks.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is next gen. Insane amount of traffic/moving NPC in 3rd, not 2d like in the laughing stock known as CyberPunk 2077:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h31m09s913.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h37m27s655.png

Even Ratchet is shocked by this next gen raytraced upgrade in his new Pixar/Sony-Pictures-animation-level graphics:

E0d0-3bWUAMsGXg.jpg:large

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

120fps may "feel" next gen, but the games look ugly as FUCK.

Im already done with that trend.

I want cinema quality graphics. 30FPS, all out fidelity.

We're not anywhere close to what I expect.

I think the SECOND games from the big studios this gen, we'll get there.

You will face a vortex of scoffing but I'm here to stand in solidarity. Give me all the fidelity you can at 30fps. A stable 30fps is fine enough, I'm much more wowed by graphical fidelity. So come, let us stand together. Heads held high as the nerdly pyroclastic flow overwhelms us.

8689a755a2d3594402cc3ec203dd06f4_w200.gif

You will face a vortex of scoffing but I'm here to stand in solidarity. Give me all the fidelity you can at 30fps. A stable 30fps is fine enough, I'm much more wowed by graphical fidelity. So come, let us stand together. Heads held high as the nerdly pyroclastic flow overwhelms us.

8689a755a2d3594402cc3ec203dd06f4_w200.gif
I think when games start embracing 30fps again, that's when we'll see the biggest jump. Imagine Naughty Dog with 33ms per frame to render anything they want on PS5? It will no doubt look like their cinematic cutscenes but in game.

Last edited:
This guy gets it.
I'm so sick of the push for more frames. It doesn't transform the game as much as people act like it does. In fact, I think it actually makes the flaws more noticeable and makes the game look more video-gamey. Sounds lame, but playing a cinematic-type game that goes for that movie-quality look at 60fps is just offputting to me. I don't wanna play The Last of Us or Uncharted at 60fps because it ruins the style for me. Then it just looks like a mobile game or an arcade game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think when games start embracing 30fps again, that's when we'll see the biggest jump. Imagine Naughty Dog with 33ms per frame to render anything they want on PS5? It will no doubt look like their cinematic cutscenes but in game.

This guy gets it.

I'm so sick of the push for more frames. It doesn't transform the game as much as people act like it does. In fact, I think it actually makes the flaws more noticeable and makes the game look more video-gamey. Sounds lame, but playing a cinematic-type game that goes for that movie-quality look at 60fps is just offputting to me. I don't wanna play The Last of Us or Uncharted at 60fps because it ruins the style for me. Then it just looks like a mobile game or an arcade game.
Finally some people that Get it :messenger_weary: :messenger_weary: :messenger_weary:

The push for frames is the most ANNOYING thing I've witnessed in gaming. Give me TRUE next gen graphics at 30 fps.

motherfuck a frame :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Next-Gen is basically any new game that I determine qualifies. There is no checkbox set of features that automatically makes a game next gen for me. If a great game runs on the new consoles in a fashion that is clearly superior to how it could be run on previous gen consoles, that alone qualifies as next gen for me, because the quality of the game itself matters.

Resident Evil 8 is next gen as fuck to me, even with current gen versions.

Finally some people that Get it :messenger_weary: :messenger_weary: :messenger_weary:

The push for frames is the most ANNOYING thing I've witnessed in gaming. Give me TRUE next gen graphics at 30 fps.

motherfuck a frame :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, when we can finally abandon last gen, they can start designing next gen games from the start and not even have to use cube maps and baked lighting anymore which will speed up game development by quite a bit. Can't wait to see Unreal Engine 5 games start to emerge as well as see new engines by first party studios. So far Ratchet and Clank seems to be maxing out the PS5 by the looks of it.

Neo_game

Personally I would like to see high gfx intensive game something around 1440P/30fps with performance option of 60fps as well even if it means they need to go 1080P like Returnal. I do not consider 120fps or 4K res as next gen. Even though these companies use it to sell these consoles.

I feel pretty confident ultra advanced asset management will be the biggest, most important element of next (current) gen. MLSS is going to help a lot too but it’s not as important or impressive, which will be obvious by the end of this gen.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Simple. Exclusivity. If it's only meant for the next gen, it's unfettered next gen. See: Returnal, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.

Anything designed to also run on previous gen - Forbidden West - isn't a next gen title, from a technical, critique'able perspective.

To my mind that is praise of Forbidden West - it's cross gen but still looks better than the next gen games. Guerilla = bosses.

GuinGuin

Banned
Or they will scale the games to match the hardware as is done in the PC space literally every day but with 3 solid targets they will do an even better job. These are undisputed masters of their craft. The games will be amazing and they will program each version to match the strengths of the hardware available.

Pull n Pray

Banned
I suppose a "next gen" game is a game being developed on a PS5 or XSX dev kit. That's the only objective standard.

It's no different than any other generation. Games will look better at the end of the generation than they do at the beginning. But the noticeable differences between between PS4 and PS5 games will be smaller than the differences between PS3 and PS4 games. If you are expecting to see something revolutionary, I think you'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom