• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego |OT|: Let’s build together.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Lego Master X-Wing announced $240. May 4th.

LEGO-Star-Wars-75355-X-wing-Starfighter-1.png

jason10mm

Gold Member

Vote on the Lego art cover for the D&D sets.
Ahhh, DnD Lego would be a great way to get the Drow into the public consciousness without stepping on too many toes. I hope these sets have lots of little details more like the Friends sets than the typical boy "build a machine" set. This calls for a very interactive set designed for adventure with trap doors, hidden areas, and lots of unique creatures.

The cover should OBVIOUSLY be a Lego recreation of those guys stealing the eye from the face statue. Duhhhhh

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ahhh, DnD Lego would be a great way to get the Drow into the public consciousness without stepping on too many toes. I hope these sets have lots of little details more like the Friends sets than the typical boy "build a machine" set. This calls for a very interactive set designed for adventure with trap doors, hidden areas, and lots of unique creatures.

The cover should OBVIOUSLY be a Lego recreation of those guys stealing the eye from the face statue. Duhhhhh
KPHfuAn7WZpcNDcyRPvZbA-970-80.jpg

This is the set.

Quasicat

Cyberpunkd

My daughter got two LEGO sets for her birthday from her friends - this just made me realize these toys are not for playing anymore, but building them once and displaying them. Good for LEGO I guess, but for parents it's expensive, kids build it once and then never touch again.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My daughter got two LEGO sets for her birthday from her friends - this just made me realize these toys are not for playing anymore, but building them once and displaying them. Good for LEGO I guess, but for parents it's expensive, kids build it once and then never touch again.
Yes the marketing of Lego has changed. I still have my big bag of legos that we laid on the floor to build with. But sets now are so specific and unique that it is difficult to want to be creative. There is something satisfying about the old sets all mainly have square blocks of different sizes. And then having some wings and a few unique pieces in there.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Looks amazing! Definitely going to pick them up.

I think folks here may just not realize that most lego sets are for playing. They are specifically labeled as playsets and use the general generic lego set pieces we all grew up with. Except for "Freinds" sets which are a lot more unique in their design. Most sets we see here are designed specifically for adult fans for display purpsoes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if this model has ever built a LEGO.

76252_alt5.jpg
No kidding, those long open sleeves are PERFECT for dealing with a thousand little bits of plastic all over the table :p

Looks like she did it all without instructions as well, clearly a pro. Single as well, this is the best Tinder profile pic imaginable :p

BlackTron

The sheer number of Lego sets right now is unreal and unfair. Sonic and Zelda incoming. Gaming sets like a working Pac Man (and the NES I never bought) are gut punches. Massive beautiful sets like Rivendell and that Batcave. I'm even weak for some Star Wars stuff despite how recycled it usually is like the new TIE Intercepter and bomber.

About a year ago I told myself I've hit critical mass with Lego, just stop. No matter what they do, just ignore it. Then they pivot to impossible 10 year old dream stuff I accepted would NEVER happen like a Dr. Robotnik fig or real Lego Hylian shield (I painted my own as a kid). It's like a life tax.

BlackTron

My brother had all those sets as kids. He had space I had Knights.
At least you could join forces!

I started with Pirates but I think I fell hardest for Town and Space. I had a little bit of everything though. Castle was my weakest theme then and still today. I was thinking the Iron Knights Castle + Disney castle could really get a Hyrule setup going. Dropship down the old medival market set between them and it's OOT Hyrule Castle Town with very little extra modding...expensive ideas but I'm already pondering my life's direction after the Zelda set hits

jason10mm

Gold Member
I haven’t found an official link, outside of the Twitter announcement, but here’s some pictures of the new $269 PacMan arcade unit.

h6XipaG.jpg
Oh Jesus I want it, I WANT IT NOW, NOW GODDAMMIT NOW!!!!

While it would suck to recycle like 60% of the build, I can totally see Donkey Kong, Defender, Space Invaders, and Joust versions of this. Lego Pinball when????

BlackTron

I also had pirates. You can see my ship somewhere in this thread. I rebuilt it after 40 years.

The Black Seas Barracuda is a legendary set. You're lucky you were able to piece the one you actually had back together. My first big set ever was its successor the Skull's Eye Schooner. Many years later I caught up and got a Barracuda. I'm glad I got to see the build myself, but today I have neither. Just a a few Pirates of the Carribean ships as a consolation. I love the idea behind the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set made to look like a shipwreck of the storied vessel.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The sheer number of Lego sets right now is unreal and unfair. Sonic and Zelda incoming. Gaming sets like a working Pac Man (and the NES I never bought) are gut punches. Massive beautiful sets like Rivendell and that Batcave. I'm even weak for some Star Wars stuff despite how recycled it usually is like the new TIE Intercepter and bomber.

About a year ago I told myself I've hit critical mass with Lego, just stop. No matter what they do, just ignore it. Then they pivot to impossible 10 year old dream stuff I accepted would NEVER happen like a Dr. Robotnik fig or real Lego Hylian shield (I painted my own as a kid). It's like a life tax.

At this point, I just avoid any "play sets" and focus on the display sets and specific diorama sets. Pretty sure at some point my house will be composed of 99% lego and 1% games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But what about gaming Lego?

7nujGa7.jpg

Depends. I bought the NES, Atari, and I will eventually buy PACMAN. I want to pick up the Sonic Diorama too. I like the concept of the Mario Legos, but honestly I think I am done buying them and I won't be buying the Sonic Playsets. Take up too much space, they don't have enough detail, and since I dont' actually *play* with my LEGOs, it doesn't really feel like a smart purchase decision for me.

BlackTron

Depends. I bought the NES, Atari, and I will eventually buy PACMAN. I want to pick up the Sonic Diorama too. I like the concept of the Mario Legos, but honestly I think I am done buying them and I won't be buying the Sonic Playsets. Take up too much space, they don't have enough detail, and since I dont' actually *play* with my LEGOs, it doesn't really feel like a smart purchase decision for me.

The Mario sets didn't really hit the mark for me, even though the core concept of merging Lego with gaming interactively made sense and is more innovative that what I personally really wanted, just models and mini-figs. Only a few select enemies/characters per $100 you spend isn't great either. I did buy some, but I use them my own way with old K'Nex Mario Kart figs that actually work with Lego. Had they handled the theme differently, I could have had to buy every last one, full stop.

As for Sonic. I had the Ideas set shipped from Lego day one. When I was done making it, I looked at it for five minutes and IMMEDIATELY began adding on to it making a bigger level. At first I intended to just prototype and then buy a bunch of the right bricks to make the checkered pattern in the whole level, but I found I didn't really need to. I also didn't like all the 1x1 plates in the set, I thought bricks would be better like the original fan submission, it would promote rebuilds and level redesigns more. Exactly what they are doing in the new wave. I don't "play with" Lego like action figures, but taking apart and rebuilding things in new ways is stimulating and cathartic (they added it to Zelda lol)

It's not a smart purchase decision at all because I literally already made my own gigantic Lego Green Hill Zone, but this is just giving me a way to make it even bigger and cooler along with Dr. Robotnik and Tails. Sonic 2 is the first game I ever beat, this is attacking my very DNA, like when they did TMNT.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The Mario sets didn't really hit the mark for me, even though the core concept of merging Lego with gaming interactively made sense and is more innovative that what I personally really wanted, just models and mini-figs. Only a few select enemies/characters per $100 you spend isn't great either. I did buy some, but I use them my own way with old K'Nex Mario Kart figs that actually work with Lego. Had they handled the theme differently, I could have had to buy every last one, full stop.

As for Sonic. I had the Ideas set shipped from Lego day one. When I was done making it, I looked at it for five minutes and IMMEDIATELY began adding on to it making a bigger level. At first I intended to just prototype and then buy a bunch of the right bricks to make the checkered pattern in the whole level, but I found I didn't really need to. I also didn't like all the 1x1 plates in the set, I thought bricks would be better like the original fan submission, it would promote rebuilds and level redesigns more. Exactly what they are doing in the new wave. I don't "play with" Lego like action figures, but taking apart and rebuilding things in new ways is stimulating and cathartic (they added it to Zelda lol)

It's not a smart purchase decision at all because I literally already made my own gigantic Lego Green Hill Zone, but this is just giving me a way to make it even bigger and cooler along with Dr. Robotnik and Tails. Sonic 2 is the first game I ever beat, this is attacking my very DNA, like when they did TMNT.

I am glad you enjoy them! For me I just like having some cool things to look at on my shelf next to my books. That is about as far as my LEGO enjoyment goes after a build.

BlackTron

Okay I decided to take some pics of my Sonic build. It's a little disheveled and I stole back a lot of my clear pieces from the water lol.

Xro2fFO.jpg

There is a removable "breakable wall" so Sonic can grab the invincibility and shortcut behind the waterfall.

FbXDBo8.jpg

But he needs to slow down and not just spin dash through the whole thing, or land on the spikes.

YnelshI.jpg

The tan half-pipe thing on the left is a Mega Blok piece. Yes, I am an apostate. I realized I had it from thrift store stuff and just wedged it in there last week because it's too good for a Sonic setup. That's why it seems so out of place and tacked-on, but lego models are never finished. You can see towards the back I started getting lazy with the bridge and getting a spot to plop Dr. Robotnik.

The setup works both as a backdrop for the real set in the front -because Green Hill is not complete without its giant blue and green scrolling backgrounds --but also as a continuation of the set that reps first levels of all Sonic games, including in how it "switches to 3D". There's touches of Emerald Hill, Angel Island and Emerald Coast in there without having to redo it all in a checkered pattern as I imagined.

BlackTron

The final boss from Sonic 2 leaked.

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-00.jpg

DAY. ONE.

I'm glad Yavin is finally happening too but I would have liked a better a base instead of a baby Y-Wing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
BTW guys, my username is a LEGO reference. If you're already in this thread you might have caught on already.

Wdti8Qg.jpg
I have that blacktron ship. The big one with two small ships on the side.

btw - anyone getting nasa perseverance ? seems pretty cool. I also kinda want 3in1 pirate ship... so much stuff.
Last one I got was the pyramid. It is so cool. I also have lego bonsai, lego succulents, world map and small technic motorcycle from last year.
I don't think I have any more room for anything else though :(

dVkLqhc.jpg

Voodoo fits great on the pyramid :p
T1X9x0i.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've had the big Disney Castle for 5-6 years now, intending on building it with my daughter. Several moves really beat up the box, alas, and when we FINALLY started building it, turns out one of the bags went missing at some point!

Thus I had to go through an entire building stage, cataloguing which pieces I was missing, and then put in an order with a brick seller. Fortunately the bag had none of the unique characters or pieces, just medium sized bricks, so it was only $20 or so to get almost all of them. A couple shapes were sold out but I haven't looked exhaustively elsewhere. This is the first time I think I've truely lost lego pieces, certainly an entire bag. Naturally I will find said bag about 10 minutes after receiving the brick order, but such is life :p

It's a fun build, lots of little details from classic Disney films.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I've had the big Disney Castle for 5-6 years now, intending on building it with my daughter. Several moves really beat up the box, alas, and when we FINALLY started building it, turns out one of the bags went missing at some point!

Thus I had to go through an entire building stage, cataloguing which pieces I was missing, and then put in an order with a brick seller. Fortunately the bag had none of the unique characters or pieces, just medium sized bricks, so it was only $20 or so to get almost all of them. A couple shapes were sold out but I haven't looked exhaustively elsewhere. This is the first time I think I've truely lost lego pieces, certainly an entire bag. Naturally I will find said bag about 10 minutes after receiving the brick order, but such is life :p

It's a fun build, lots of little details from classic Disney films.

I really want to get the new Disney Castle. I think it looks amazing! Justr don't have the space for more Lego atm lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh boy I want this ! The funny thing is... only Hogwarts Lgacy made me a fan. I've seen 2 movies when I was a kid. I watched all 8 movies before playing the game (binged the movies) and then played the fantastic game.
These later mvoies have this 2000s nostalgia... It's like playing gta4 for me haha.

Books? I don't read books gtfo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom