• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't a LEGO builder game/tool exist?

RCU005

I'm not sure if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, there is no LEGO builder game or tool. I think it would be awesome.

It wouldn't be a game per se, but it would be cool to be able to build sets virtually in 3D (not unlike a 3D modeling app), and LEGO could release existing sets and new ones, but most importantly they will let you have as many pieces as you want to build your own creations. In fact, they could even let you add those creations and sets into LEGO games. Also, who knows it could boost sales of physical sets.

I don't know if it would be popular, but I'd spend hours building sets. It's impossible to get some sets either due to the price or limited availability, so it would be cool to build them virtually, like the Millennium Falcon and whatnot.

Also, VR!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lego is kinda Star Wars, super hero they handle the gaming side of things with important movies.
lego batman wink GIF by The LEGO Movie

CamHostage

I mean, the fun of LEGOs is partly because they're actual LEGOs, little bricks you can pick up and play with in your hands and leave on the stairs for dad to step on...

no-ouch-011e1e2e6d2a48ace055682035acb44a.jpg

But beyond that, I would think actually building a game where you're assembling new shapes from individual blocks would be a more daunting challenge than you understand. (Albeit not undoable with current hardware, I'm just thinking through the logistics.) A game like the TT Games LEGO games, they pretend to assemble and disassemble LEGO items brick by brick, but that's an animation of preconfigured objects that only fit together and move as they were preconfigured to do. Actually structing whole objects from individual bricks is not really how game engines are designed and optimized. Something like a physics engine where gigantic walls crumble and roll around, those work because the objects were placed there beforehand (sort of like making LEGOs) so that they could fall apart; getting the rubble to reassemble or assemble in a different shape once destroyed would be a totally different challenge.

And then the density and diversity of the bricks, with irregular shapes (the flat pieces and the moving parts, the connectors and plug/socket blocks, etc) is a lot to manage. The way that Minecraft does it, it's efficient partly because they're all squares, placed on a 3D grid map in space; LEGOs do have defined shapes, but they're not the simple math of 1:1:1. And while you could make some simple objects, eventually you would need need even more bricks to make complex objects and worlds than a general Minecraft creation would use; Minecraft worlds can be gigantic and have thousands or even millions of bricks, but by scale, a LEGO project needs hundreds of diverse types of pieces for even modest creations.

Again, not saying it's impossible, I don't actually know what creating something like that would take (maybe it's way easier than I'd assume?) but it starts to add up when you think about what's involved here.

Last edited:

whyman

I'm not sure if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, there is no LEGO builder game or tool. I think it would be awesome.

It wouldn't be a game per se, but it would be cool to be able to build sets virtually in 3D (not unlike a 3D modeling app), and LEGO could release existing sets and new ones, but most importantly they will let you have as many pieces as you want to build your own creations. In fact, they could even let you add those creations and sets into LEGO games. Also, who knows it could boost sales of physical sets.

I don't know if it would be popular, but I'd spend hours building sets. It's impossible to get some sets either due to the price or limited availability, so it would be cool to build them virtually, like the Millennium Falcon and whatnot.

Also, VR!
Here you go: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/build/studio.page

Guilty_AI

Just because it has blocks it's not alike LEGO. How square minded do you have to be to confound these two.
The concept is basically the same, though minecraft is more well adapted to a gaming medium

OP mentioned Millenium falcon and whatnot? Here you go:

Build a kingdom out of blockparts? FIne:

Now tell me how this is not comparable?

If you ever wondered why Minecraft became so popular, there's your reason. Its basically videogame Lego.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The concept is basically the same, though minecraft is more well adapted to a gaming medium
And yet it is missing the dynamic features of the real world blocks. Your take is still superficial. LEGO games have their core focus on something else than building so why even argue about that when it's obviously not about creating?
OP mentioned Millenium falcon and whatnot? Here you go:

Build a kingdom out of blockparts? FIne:

Now tell me how this is not comparable?

Static! Static everywhere!
If you ever wondered why Minecraft became so popular, there's your reason. Its basically videogame Lego.
To a degree, yes. But on the other hand, if you look closely, Minecraft goes in a different direction. Again, just because you stack blocks on to each other it's not LEGO!

Guilty_AI

And yet it is missing the dynamic features of the real world blocks. Your take is still superficial. LEGO games have their core focus on something else than building so why even argue about that when it's obviously not about creating?
OP is specifically talking about Lego builders tho, he even mentions it doesn't have to be a game per say, just something to build cool stuff with.

Its called minecraft.

Reactions: wOs

Con-Z-epT

OP is specifically talking about Lego builders tho, he even mentions it doesn't have to be a game per say, just something to build cool stuff with.
Yes, and while he is mentioning it he's going in depth about LEGO sets and correlations about having real world LEGO pieces in digital form to play around with. With how widespread Minecraft is, do you really think he hasn't considered the game? There is a difference between stacking blocks on to each other or building and playing with LEGO pieces.

Minecraft isn't the fix for a LEGO enthusiast!

Labadal

They probably want to sell physical LEGO sets.

I have wanted a virtual LEGO builder for many years, but I can understand why they don't do it.

Guilty_AI

Yes, and while he is mentioning it he's going in depth about LEGO sets and correlations about having real world LEGO pieces in digital form to play around with. With how widespread Minecraft is, do you really think he hasn't considered the game? There is a difference between stacking blocks on to each other or building and playing with LEGO pieces.

Minecraft isn't the fix for a LEGO enthusiast!
I don't get it, are you saying the blocks must have real time physics so you can throw a construction around? That isn't gonna work as intended, for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I don't get it, are you saying the blocks must have real time physics so you can throw a construction around? That isn't gonna work as intended, for a myriad of reasons.
I just think that RCU005 RCU005 is looking for something deeper in terms of building mechanics than what Minecraft has to offer. He NEVER talked about Minecraft!

To compare Minecraft with LEGO, as you did, is completely reasonable. But if you look deeper than there is more to satisfy the OP.

Guilty_AI

I just think that RCU005 RCU005 is looking for something deeper in terms of building mechanics than what Minecraft has to offer. He NEVER talked about Minecraft!

To compare Minecraft with LEGO, as you did, is completely reasonable. But if you look deeper than there is more to satisfy the OP.
Deeper as in?

bellome

Also, VR!
There are awesome tools to build digitally with LEGO. Stud.io is my favourite.

Top Bottom