• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Zafir

Yay for the server getting hammered with everyone updating. Getting less than 20kb/s download speeds. Might swap download locations.

Dipswitch

Gui_PT said:
Melee weapons, more guns. Charger, Spitter, Jockey.

Gotcha. I'd like to get into this in the near future. Is there a GAF server that's noob friendly? I'm looking to have fun, not be subjected to various forms of assholery for not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

vazel

Banned
Dipswitch said:
Gotcha. I'd like to get into this in the near future. Is there a GAF server that's noob friendly? I'm looking to have fun, not be subjected to various forms of assholery for not knowing what the hell I'm doing.
Don't be intimidated by that, it's just the internet. Sometimes people are assholes for no reason at all other than it's funny to them.

I'd start playing co-op first, the community is generally better in co-op. Ramp up the difficulty in co-op from normal, advanced, and expert. Then after you've got a lot of time in co-op move onto versus.

Wow, I had no idea about this update but it's great considering Dead Air was my favorite campaign from L4D. I never did understand all the fuss over No Mercy.

Dipswitch

vazel said:
Don't be intimidated by that, it's just the internet. Sometimes people are assholes for no reason at all other than it's funny to them. I'd start playing co-op first, the community is generally better in co-op. Then after you've got a lot of time in co-op move onto versus.

It's less about intimidation - I just don't have the time or patience for people acting like numbnuts.

And yeah, co-op is where I'm looking to start off. Just heard all kinds of horror stories of dickhead griefers shooting you in the face as you try to board the chopper, etc. That's not my idea of a good time.

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
Notice L4D2 is updating but pay it no mind.

Visit NeoGaf and the game's thread is bumped to the front page, complete with explanation.

The internet works out pretty good sometimes.

:)

Dipswitch said:
It's less about intimidation - I just don't have the time or patience for people acting like numbnuts.

And yeah, co-op is where I'm looking to start off. Just heard all kinds of horror stories of dickhead griefers shooting you in the face as you try to board the chopper, etc. That's not my idea of a good time.
All in all I think you'll find most people behave just fine. Once in a while you'll run into someone who incaps all their teammates and leaves, but I've never had anyone be a lasting annoyance since you can just call a vote to kick them. I would start with co-op anyway since it helps to know the maps before playing versus.

Divius

Feels good, man!

2011-07-22_00003289r.jpg

edit: they changed a few little things around, nothing major.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Speed's going much faster now (UK London server) so I'd imagine people are having the same experience on their end :)

Not really that many changes as I thought there would be. A fence near the crane box to prevent jockey/smoker and charger combo instakills where the box drops. Now you have to go through the metal detectors (lol TSA social commentary anyone?) which will start a gauntlet with a constant stream of zombies till you reach the saferoom. And the only other thing I noticed was a a wall of fire where the survivors usually camp in the finale on the right side of the plane. Looks good though. Expect a lot of fights for melee weapons at the beginning of the maps.

2th

Banned
just did the campaign on dead air and the changes were very minor and barely change anything. im sorry but we waited how long for this trash?

stuminus3

2th said:
just did the campaign on dead air and the changes were very minor and barely change anything. im sorry but we waited how long for this trash?
This has got to be a stealth troll post. Otherwise, my mind will be boggled.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
2th said:
Dead Air is a trash campaign?

Ok.

Or were you just referring to the finale in Versus? There you actually have a point.

2th

Banned
vazel said:
Valve fixed the cheap camp spot in the final map! This change alone makes the update a success.

http://i.imgur.com/zuaSZ.jpg

actually they didnt fix anything with the fire. you can still put your back to the fire and pick everything off from a distance. you just have a little less room to play around with.

and when i say this is all trash i mean we waited how long for such little changes... i was expecting something better. I mean i was hoping they didnt just drop the maps in with nothing changed like they did with No Mercy but actually changed something meaningful. Maybe add a new path. change the scenery slightly. just something that looks like it took more than 2 hours of work total.

Volcynika

2th said:
actually they didnt fix anything with the fire. you can still put your back to the fire and pick everything off from a distance. you just have a little less room to play around with.

and when i say this is all trash i mean we waited how long for such little changes... i was expecting something better. I mean i was hoping they didnt just drop the maps in with nothing changed like they did with No Mercy but actually changed something meaningful. Maybe add a new path. change the scenery slightly. just something that looks like it took more than 2 hours of work total.

Well the whole idea was to port the maps to the second game and add some balance for the new weapons/infected/etc. Not to just add random changes to it, it was more to just meld it into the new features the second game has. Also the players will be able to provide feedback and give Valve info so they can tweak it best they can.

vazel

Banned
2th said:

Well in versus it made things a little more fair for SI. You no longer have this large expanse of nothing you have to traverse to get to the survivors. Plus with charger you now have a way to disperse the team. But I only played one match so far with friends against pubbies.

Edit: I know people will now probably camp at the other side of the map. But hey, at least we still have charger.

2th

Banned
Volcynika said:
Well the whole idea was to port the maps to the second game and add some balance for the new weapons/infected/etc. Not to just add random changes to it, it was more to just meld it into the new features the second game has. Also the players will be able to provide feedback and give Valve info so they can tweak it best they can.

well given how they could have just ported over the maps from day 1 and it has taken this long to get 2 of the original maps... it just irritates me. i know they are trying to prolong the life of the game and all but at this point it just comes off like they arent even trying. honestly the changes they made to Dead Air look like they could have all been done in under 2 hours. Yeah so where is our new decent campain? and noticed i said DECENT... Cold Stream doesnt count.

Volcynika

2th said:
well given how they could have just ported over the maps from day 1 and it has taken this long to get 2 of the original maps... it just irritates me. i know they are trying to prolong the life of the game and all but at this point it just comes off like they arent even trying. honestly the changes they made to Dead Air look like they could have all been done in under 2 hours. Yeah so where is our new decent campain? and noticed i said DECENT... Cold Stream doesnt count.

I'm not sure where you're getting this "it looks like it could've been done in 2 hours" because I doubt that. Planning out changes, putting them in, tweaking them, testing, etc. takes more time than that.

(I just get a bit perturbed when people throw out statements like that, as I've become experienced in developing software (not games, mind you) and I know all too well it's not short all the time!)

2th

Banned
Volcynika said:
I'm not sure where you're getting this "it looks like it could've been done in 2 hours" because I doubt that. Planning out changes, putting them in, tweaking them, testing, etc. takes more time than that.

so just off a memory there were a total of 4 changes in the entire campaign

1) there is now a fence by the crane creating a very nice choke point for that rooftop event
2) you can no longer avoid the metal detector in the terminal so you are forced to summon the horde (though you can still outrun them entirely and beat them to the saferoom as nothing spawns in front of you)
3) the plane crashing at the start of the finale seems to be slower
4) there is fire on the runway in the easy camping spot

yeah those 4 changes required no new assets to be created and the placement of a few barriers essentially. i could do all that in under 2 hours. well aside from the plane crash happening slower since i cant do that stuff.

gwarm01

I really need to get back into this. I only spent a fraction of the time in L4D2 that I did with the first one. I'm guessing the community is still very, very active?

vazel

Banned
They're gonna have to do something about death charges in this campaign. There are a couple death charge heaven spots and when a charger gets a death charge he doesn't die. I'm seeing chargers get 2-3 death charges in one life. Either make the charger die when he death charges so he can't just climb back up again or put up some fences.

2th said:

Just remember: Most developers wouldn't even be doing this much.

Be thankful for what we're getting. It's not as though they announced Left4Dead 3.

vazel said:
They're gonna have to do something about death charges in this campaign. There are a couple death charge heaven spots and when a charger gets a death charge he doesn't die. I'm seeing chargers get 2-3 death charges in one life. Either make the charger die when he death charges so he can't just climb back up again or put up some fences.

Agreed, lol, and there are a ton of them.

Hey You said:
Well they do have to port it to L4D2, different game so somethings behind the scenes had the be tweaked/changed, right?

Yep. Left4Dead 2 has a number of changes to the A.I. Director that would basically facilitate them having to go back through and find new places to put all the weapons and pills and stuff.

Basically, from what I remember hearing, Left4Dead 1 had very specific "item spawn points". For example, you would have to place a "Weapon Spawn Point" and a "Healing Item Spawn Point" separately, and then the director would decide which spawn points would have stuff for players, and how much.

Left4Dead 2 just has one "item spawn" object. The director decides whether or not a group of item spawns will be healing items, guns, melee weapons, plus how many and of what type (though obviously mapmakers can influence what spawns where so you don't end up with something silly like an ambulance full of katanas).

The new Special Infected facilitate testing, too. There are things I remember about Left4Dead 1's "Dead Air" that have most definitely changed for the Left4Dead 2 port (for example, I seem to remember being able to stand on top of the piles of suitcases during the finale - not so, anymore). You need to make sure that everything works properly for the Jockey, Spitter and Charger, and consider what they bring to the game and how to either strengthen or weaken them so they feel like they "fit" in maps they were not originally designed to be in.

And then there's just general testing. It's not as easy as copy-pasting "dead-air.bsp" in to the Left4Dead 2 map folder. You have to check for conflicts between L4D1 content and L4D2 content (two different textures with the same name, etc.) and fix any problems that arise, and whatever else that might come up.

Plus, really, it just gives Valve the ability to look back over what they've done and say, "What can we do to make this a little bit better than it was originally?" One last layer of polish.

So, yeah. It can be a process, assuming you want to do it "the right way".

duckroll

Holy fuck. Valve. I thought you tested Dead Air! Why is the finale BUSTED in Versus?! The points calculation is just from the saferoom to the finale switch! Wtf!!! LOL. :(

Remfin said:
Isn't that always how it worked? Or do you mean it doesn't even have the survival bonus?

No. In finales, you accumulate points based on how long you can survive, with full points being awarded for surviving the entire length of time and then getting in to the rescue vehicle.

The way Dead Air currently works in L4D2, your proximity to the rescue vehicle is all that matters. If everybody dies huddled up to the cargo plane's doors, that's basically full points, even if you don't survive to the end.

Valve did preface on the L4D.com blog that this was a "Beta", though. So whatevs.

Remfin

Well, it may do that now in L4D2 (and maybe in a later patch in L4D1), but originally it was just getting to the finale switch. Back In The Day™ when we all sucked, both teams always got 100 points on the finale so we already knew who won the match anyway at the end of round 4.

Top Bottom