• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Teknoman

You'd think people who make maps would be able to make a well playing desert secret base campaign. I guess it takes awhile, and im not really skilled at map making or anything...but I hope some more imaginative campaigns release rather than just wilderness/normal urban environment.

Angry Fork said:
I want to get more into this game but have heard horror stories of people treating you like shit if you don't know all the perfect places to go and so on. The game was kind of already spoiled for me because the first time I played through the campaigns was with experienced people so I didn't get to feel the surprises and learn from my mistakes. Any servers that just play casually and don't care if noobs come in? Not necessarily for versus but for campaign stuff.

That absolutely happens. The best part is, many times it doesn't even matter if you're doing everything right or not. Either in the campaigns or in versus. Some people are going to be dicks regardless.

But, that's just because The L4D games have the worst player communities out of any game that I've ever played. Worse than any Halo game, any Gears game, any COD game. Simply the worst.

vertopci

I love how todays (and many of the recent ones) add shit that my server has had for over a year now. L4D2 team sure is on top of their game :/

Divius

When I played Cold Stream again for that summersale ticket/achievement I noticed a lot of things had changed..for the better. I'm still not fond of it though.

vertopci said:
I love how todays (and many of the recent ones) add shit that my server has had for over a year now. L4D2 team sure is on top of their game :/
Valve Time.

Edit: BTW Vert, do you know of a server command/plugin to randomize each round in VS? (like the 1st month of L4D1)

duckroll

TheAtomicPile said:
That absolutely happens. The best part is, many times it doesn't even matter if you're doing everything right or not. Either in the campaigns or in versus. Some people are going to be dicks regardless.

But, that's just because The L4D games have the worst player communities out of any game that I've ever played. Worse than any Halo game, any Gears game, any COD game. Simply the worst.

I don't think it's true that the L4D player communities are bad, I think it's that the L4D random player community is bad. Because of the type of game it is, many players basically play exclusively with friends. Since even in Versus you're only going to be playing with 7 other people max, it's not hard to find a regular group of people to play with. This leaves random games filled with people who are either new to the game, or basically just looking to fuck around. Not a good combination.

I play with a regular group of friends, and we're always nice to random people who join us if we don't have enough people and actually decide to set it to a public game. Our experience is that the kindness doesn't really pay off because most of the time the random guys joining are either dicks, or retards. Every once in a while we get a random who has a mic and is actually interested in playing the game. It's not that bad if it's just a noob player who is learning the ropes. We can be patient with that, but the worst ones are the ones who are just plain rude, refuse to listen to any strategies, and basically ends up being a liability on purpose.

If you can find a regularly group of friends to play the game with, it's really a hell lot of fun.

duckroll said:
If you can find a regularly group of friends to play the game with, it's really a hell lot of fun.
I completely agree with this. L4D has been one of the most enjoyable games in my gaming career, and I'm glad to say it's because of the people I play with.

I love them <3

Hey You

How big is Valves team? I'm curious, it seems like they release a game every year and I always thought they were a small-ish team.

I wonder if they are working on L4D3 or just giving the franchise a break/stopping it.

Hey You said:
How big is Valves team? I'm curious, it seems like they release a game every year and I always thought they were a small-ish team.

I wonder if they are working on L4D3 or just giving the franchise a break/stopping it.

When they announced Portal 2 for PS3 and steamworks on it I was really hoping for a L4D3 w/ steamworks on PS3. I'm content with waiting for PS4 though.

Sblargh

Banned
Joininh GAF L4D steam group. But I live in Brazil, so playing with me will includes lag, doesn't seem to get in the way of the random games I had tho.

Yasae

Banned
dragonlife said:
I completely agree with this. L4D has been one of the most enjoyable games in my gaming career, and I'm glad to say it's because of the people I play with.

I love them <3
Aw, you're so sweet.

I should really play more often.

Hey You said:

I've heard figures around 50-150 people being employed at Valve.

Sibylus

Banned
mns-dna said:
I have the censored version of l4d 2. Is it possible to overwrite it with a uncut version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUcjWa5LIc&feature=related
**UPDATE**

i have only VERY recently found out:

If you bought the game through steam (downloaded and patched) GORE WILL WORK ONLINE with other Aussies! yay! and they dont need gore.

also if you bought the game instore, then sorry, online no longer works at&#65279; all. :(

Worth a shot.

jambo

Hey You said:

I'd say they're working on DotA 2, HL3, DLC for L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 and as ever, TF2.

Gabe said that the reason L4D2 came out so soon after L4D was that they had a reputation for taking a long time to make games and they wanted to show that they could pump out a high quality product in a short period of time.

Bluth54

Hey You said:

According to this recent Interview with Doug Lombardi they have around 260 employees.

jambo said:
I'd say they're working on DotA 2, HL3, DLC for L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 and as ever, TF2.

Gabe said that the reason L4D2 came out so soon after L4D was that they had a reputation for taking a long time to make games and they wanted to show that they could pump out a high quality product in a short period of time.

DLC for L4D1? No... its over.
1. L4D1 is dead because they gonna port all the L4D1 Maps for L4D2.
2. Francis, Louis and Zoey are safe now.

Mergesort

Botolf said:
But is it possible to be gifted a uncensored version(to overwrite my censored L4D2)? A friend of me had a censored version of TF2 but got Orange box gifted(american version), now his TF2 version is uncensored! What i want to ask is if that is possible for a single game or do the ppl who try to gift me that game get an error?(because i own it already)
Or do i need to get it in a bundle?(i don't have l4d1, so that might work)

DarkKyo

duckroll said:
Dead Air is supposed to be up in 8 minutes, yes. But you know, Valve time and all.
Seriously?!

My friend leaves for Japan tomorrow, would be amazing to get a game of Dead Air in with him tonight!

Steam is updating

Left 4 Dead 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2
Beta release of Dead Air Campaign

:O

srenity

Neo Member
Currently downloading/updating
... Time Remaining: 1hour 20 minutes.

I hope it'll finish faster because I was hoping to play a game before I go to work D:

edit: oh wait, there's another screen that say it'll take 3 hours. :[

Here I am thinking "Which campaign is Dead Air? It's been long since I played the first L4D."

Then I look at my wall and I have a Dead Air poster hanging... :p

1yRvW.jpg

vazel

Banned
Download is going sllloooowwwww. Didn't know so many people had l4d2 installed. Well it is a Valve mp game after all; endless replayability.

So what is going to be the next L4D1 campaign to be moved over? Also, Valve need to go ahead and distribute Suicide Blitz 2 through Steam. It's a damn good map that deserves a full release.

2th

Banned
any notes on what they changed for the Dead Air campaign in l4d2? id look but steam is freaking out on the download for some reason.

I H8 Memes said:
So what is going to be the next L4D1 campaign to be moved over? Also, Valve need to go ahead and distribute Suicide Blitz 2 through Steam. It's a damn good map that deserves a full release.

They need to update their official servers. Tried to play this last night and I had to host locally b/c they haven't updated their version yet.

demosthenes said:
They need to update their official servers. Tried to play this last night and I had to host locally b/c they haven't updated their version yet.

Of SB2? The L4D blog still has the old version up too. The only way I found version 3 was by from seeing a version that I didnt have while searching for a game the other day.

Dipswitch

So dumb question from someone who owns both L4D games, but hasn't played them yet: What's the benefit to L4D scenarios being ported to L4D2?

vazel

Banned
Dipswitch said:
So dumb question from someone who owns both L4D games, but hasn't played them yet: What's the benefit to L4D scenarios being ported to L4D2?
You get melee weapons which is the main benefit. Plus the Special Infected from L4D2.

Dipswitch said:
L4D2 introduced some new special infected and melee weapons, as well as improvements to the primary weapons and handguns, that make it more fun to play, especially in Versus.

The problem is, in L4D1 versus, if the survivors just stay together, they can basically take on anything. A lot of the special infected introduced in L4D2 were designed to break up the group and make Versus more fun. People want to play these maps with the added L4D2 improvements.

Also it's nice to just have all that stuff in one game.

Top Bottom