• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazy development that never seems to go away…

YZh904i.gif
I know where this song and dance are headed and I’m not falling for the bait. If you want proof, go play the games or look up the boss fights on their hardest difficulty (with MGSV search with no stealth used).

There is no world where I can reasonably say MGSV and DS play like ER because their games all have entirely different gameplay loops and each focus on different things. You’re going to look at footage, nitpick, and say ‘this isn’t quite like ER and that isn’t quite like ER’ missing the entire point and purpose of my original post.

I guess to make it as clear as possible: MGSV and DS(but especially MGSV) completely excel at movement and combat for their respective genres, the same way you would say ER does the same for it’s genre. The main difference is that Kojima will tread the needle on realism in animations so that you still get as much of that realism as possible without putting it over that line where it stops being maximum fun to play. That’s something where him and his team excel above others.

If I sit here and claim that a sci-fi movie I watched is the literal peak of the science fiction genre, and then you bring up Lord of the Rings and fantasy, that doesn’t make the sci-fi movie suddenly not be the peak of it’s genre. It makes it equal to LoTR in it’s respective level of being absolutely masterclass at what it does in a different manner.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is no world where I can reasonably say MGSV and DS play like ER because their games all have entirely different gameplay loops and each focus on different things.
THATS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! You keep saying it’s has more realistic animation in DS and MGV and I told you in my pervious posts that ER is just different type of game, realistic animation in MGV doesn’t work in game like ER when you fighting mystical monster that has crazy ass moves sets, responsiveness takes priority over realism in ER.

Last edited:
THATS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! You keep saying has more realism animation in DS and MGV and I told in my pervious pots that ER is just different type of game, realism animation in MGV doesn’t work in game like ER when you fighting mystical monster that has crazy ass moves sets, I responsiveness takes priority over realism in ER.
If that is all you were waiting on me to say as a gotcha then you’ve missed my point entirely, because what you quoted isn’t a point in your favor.

You keep saying what you’re saying because you don’t believe it’s possible, even though Kojima literally already proved that the impossible is possible to do with two games already. The only way for you to believe it is if you play MGSV or wait for him to make a melee-focused action game.

In a way, this is the same type of argument I had with 90s fans of the old Tomb Raider games who think that the only way for a modern puzzle platformer to be as difficult as old school Tomb Raider, is for it to control exactly like old school Tomb Raider. In their minds, they can’t fathom/imagine any scenario where that type of gameplay could be done better or b evolved. They have simply accepted it as a ‘forever peak’ because unfortunately no developer followed in their footsteps afterwards.

I’m hoping you see the problem with this, because it’s the same problem that lies with saying an ER with slightly more involved animations but keeping the same speed would be ‘impossible’.

To a statement like that, I say…

tenor.gif

Danjin44

You keep saying what you’re saying because you don’t believe it’s possible, even though Kojima literally already proved that the impossible is possible to do with two games already. The only way for you to believe it is if you play MGSV or wait for him to make a melee-focused action game.
But those two games play nothing like ER…..how exactly proves anything? I mean Kojima actually tried to make melee based combat with MGR but they couldn’t and Platinum had to take over.

But those two games play nothing like ER…..how exactly proves anything?
Read the rest of my posts before pausing on a part like this to comment lol.
I mean Kojima actually tried to make melee based combat with MGR but they couldn’t and Platinum had to take over.
C’mon don’t do that. You as well as anyone else here knows that issue he had, had nothing to do with the game’s movement systems.

He couldn’t figure out how to nerf the slice-everything mechanic to make the game feel challenging without doing what Platinum did, which was turning it into essentially a baseball bat with a special slice meter. Everything else about his demos of old-MGR looked polished.

But to my point again, it doesn’t mean a game like that can’t be done, because eventually someone will figure out how to build a game around a slice-everything mechanic, in their best way.

Danjin44

Read the rest of my posts before pausing on a part like this to comment lol.

C’mon don’t do that. You as well as anyone else here knows that issue he had, had nothing to do with the game’s movement systems.

He couldn’t figure out how to nerf the slice-everything mechanic to make the game feel challenging without doing what Platinum did, which was turning it into essentially a baseball bat with a special slice meter. Everything else about his demos of old-MGR looked polished.

But to my point again, it doesn’t mean a game like that can’t be done, because eventually someone will figure out how to build a game around a slice-everything mechanic, in their best way.
You comparing two different type of game, SHOW ME a game similar to ER with realistic animation.

Last edited:
Personally I think you can never have too much immersion. But we're all so busy and need shortcuts to actually get through all of these games. Shit I need more gaming time :(

You comparing two different type of game, SHOW ME a game similar to ER with realistic animation.
I keep telling you that I’m not comparing them, but I don’t think you’re actually reading my posts…you’re either upset about ER or you’re wanting to win an argument. This conversation has led to disappointment.

Whatever, here is a game with more involved animations than ER that is similar to ER.

Maybe you will understand my point with this…maybe not, idk…

Danjin44

I keep telling you that I’m not comparing them, but I don’t think you’re actually reading my posts…you’re either upset about ER or you’re wanting to win an argument. This conversation has led to disappointment.

Whatever, here is a game with more involved animations than ER that is similar to ER.

Maybe you will understand my point with this…maybe not, idk…

Sekiro has AMAZING animation but one they are not “realistic” animation and two, Sekiro has the benefit of focusing one type of weapon, while Elden Ring has multiple class of weapons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom