• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at Respawn somehow mostly hitting "PoC, queer folks and those on parental & medical leave" complains disabled queer ployamorous employee

Bartski

Gold Member
1V68AyN.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They got rid of people who were expendable. Companies care about profit, they won't lay off valuable employees no matter their backgrounds.

We cut out 13% of the workforce at my job and those who were let go were mostly people that weren't critical to the operations. People in HR got hit the hardest and surprise, they also had the highest proportions of queer and transgender folks. Had nothing to do with their sexual orientation or what have you. Our forecasts didn't pan out, we had massive budget cuts, so we had to trim the fat to stay afloat.

WoJ

Yeah more detail is needed. Were specific departments downsized because they were deemed not necessary? I.e. was a DEI department filled with PoC and queer folk as that person says downsized? Were these people underperforming mid level managers?

It's also just their perspective. They are seeing people in their circle get laid off. With 670 people who got laid off it's bound to hit all types of people.

Plus, it's also possible (likely) that the people laid off were people management determined were pains in the ass and found a way to get rid of them. Happens all the time, for better or for worse. As for people who recently went out on leave.....I mean, it sucks, but I've seen it happen in a few places. These things do happen in corporate America. It's not pretty but it's reality.

Valt7786

I am very big on letting people live their life but in this case, I find parent alarming in that profile. I do hope that they put being a good parent above all else.
I'd bet good money on that they don't. Parent is the last thing they mention, where they want to stick their genitals comes before that, being disabled comes before that, being a slag comes before parent. So no, I don't have high hopes that they do. I imagine the iPad is more of parent than they are.

It just may so happen to be that "assholes" get work done and ship products, while "LGTBQ's" talk about how special and victimized they are instead of being productive developers.

Who would have thought of that. That's why the "assholes" are still employed. Better to be an asshole than pretend your gender is now your asshole instead of focusing on what matters at work.

Last edited:

tkscz

"It's not fair the people I don't like got to keep there jobs"

Bitch please, they probably were the ones actually working while she got on Twitter to bitch about Hogwarts legacy or something. The fact that she even said that tells me she and the people she liked who were let go made the workplace toxic, but being the narcissist they are they wouldn't notice it.

You can take this situation and completely remove all subjective statements and it makes complete sense.

"I was laid off today along with all the people who work closely with me"

This is completely logical and requires no sort of bias on the part of the management. I was once laid off, and they simply got rid of 20 contractors. It had nothing to do with my gender, attitude, productivity, etc. It was just getting rid of non-essential staff.

vpance

Industry is healing. When you are allowed only the exact necessary amount of people, you keep the competent ones and let go the diversity hires.

Let's hope this is true. Gamers can vote with their wallets against this stuff but at the end of the day only the studios can flush them out.

Top Bottom