• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late To Yharnam's Party Night: Bloodborne

Dying to any Potato Sack Man will take you to Unseen Village. Can confirm, since I died to one in one of the Forbidden Woods villages and was taken to the prison, cutscene and all.

I-hate-u

Looking at lore videos, it astounds me how From can operate on their own league in terms of video game story that is woven into their gameplay. Their subtlety is powerful and leaves an ever lasting impression on me.

So not only their gameplay is the best, but their lore and world building is fantastic. Greatest developer of the past 7 years, easily.

Melchiah

Dying to any Potato Sack Man will take you to Unseen Village. Can confirm, since I died to one in one of the Forbidden Woods villages and was taken to the prison, cutscene and all.

The Snatchers won't appear until BSB is down.

The Snatchers which appear after Blood-starved Beast is killed can be found behind the Oedon Chapel in Cathedral Ward; near the tomb entrance to Old Yharnam; below the plaza to the right of the Grand Cathedral; in the streets below the Healing Church Workshop; and near the dog cages in the Forbidden Woods.

Brakke

Banned
Behind that door are 3 different areas.
Old workshop, Upper Yarnham and if you go all the way down you will find a way past the magically sealed door in Cathedral Ward. No need to buy the 10k key to open the door. You can't summon anyone to help with any bosses in the area though if you don't buy the key so there's that.

No yeah, I did the things behind the door. It's just discongruous that killing that guy opens that door. There's no expectation there, there's no obvious mechanism for causing that to happen. I didn't even know it had happened until the guy in the Dream told me.

You can probably tell I'm not a fan.

If I had to complain about something, it would be the difficulty of finding online partners (co-op or invasion). Fantastic game.

Honestly, I think this is a terrible habit of the community. Don't get me wrong, his stuff is great! I was part of three of his streams and I adore his youtube content (still didn't read Paleblood Hunt though), but I kinda hate how every time the lore comes up people just say "go read this guy". What are you guys, Gerhman? It's for my own good?

Anyone interested in taking a deeper look into the lore should just play the game and pay more attention to it. Then discuss with the community, and, of course, watch videos and read stuff. I feel like there's a constant increase in a "just play the game 'normally' and then read the Paleblood Hunt" mentaility, which is, in my opinion, unhealthy to the lore discussion.

I actually disagree with Redgrave in a lot of the stuff he says (even if I still think the videos are great), but that's only possible because I played the game paying as much attention to the lore as possible, making my own mind about it and then discussing with friends and the online community. If you don't go through this process yourself, you'll just absorb his views on the game and accept them as fact, since you can't really form a counter argument in your head to make up your own mind when it comes to the stuff that is just open to interpretation and there's no 100% fact on it.

Redgrave himself always warns people they shouldn't "appeal to authority", and just accept his word as law just because "he's the guy who wrote many pages on the lore".

Which is why I said take a deeper look into the lore. And they should watch videos to get themselves thinking. Of course it isnt healthy for people to simple take in others interpretations and accept them as fact. But the truth is some people dont have the time or care to piece together information on their own, which is why people like Vaati and Redgrave are important. I personally choose to suggest Redgrave because he's gone the most in depth on what could be happening in the Lore and many of his theories are supported by the game. If someone choose to accept those theories its their choice. There will always be someone else to provide a counterpoint.

Gbraga

Looking at lore videos, it astounds me how From can operate on their own league in terms of video game story that is woven into their gameplay. Their subtlety is powerful and leaves an ever lasting impression on me.

So not only their gameplay is the best, but their lore and world building is fantastic. Greatest developer of the past 7 years, easily.

Absolutely. The best part is that it rewards people who are looking for it with an overwhelming amount of relevant details, while never punishing people who don't care and just want to play the game. It's a fantastic mentality to have, because even if the lore might be my favorite part of Bloodborne, I still really love everything else and replay it a lot. You won't care about the story on every single playthrough, so it's great that you can just run past everything and not give a shit.

It's just so good for replayability.

It's crazy to think that many games that have story as their center don't hold up as well to closer looks while also getting in the way of the player a lot more. They force you to pay more attention to a less interesting story. It's kinda funny.

Which is why I said take a deeper look into the lore. And they should watch videos to get themselves thinking. Of course it isnt healthy for people to simple take in others interpretations and accept them as fact. But the truth is some people dont have the time or care to piece together information on their own, which is why people like Vaati and Redgrave are important. I personally choose to suggest Redgrave because he's gone the most in depth on what could be happening in the Lore and many of his theories are supported by the game. If someone choose to accept those theories its their choice. There will always be someone else to provide a counterpoint.

Fair enough.

Sorry to nitpick, but not the ones in the Chalice Dungeons.

Yeah, and I actually think it was my first encounter with them on my first playthrough. So when I got rekt by the one outside Oedon Chapel, my mind was blown away.

It's so interesting to me that they would actually make this amazing piece of content that could be missed by people who are just too good at the game to die to these guys.

Sorry to nitpick, but not the ones in the Chalice Dungeons.
Truth. No apology needed.

Though one could argue that it's more likely to beat BSB and get pegged by a snatcher in the main game than to dive in Chalices and get far enough to meet one. IIRC you don't see them until a few layers down but I could be mistaken. Those early chalices were ~100 hours ago in my first playthrough.

AlexIIDX

It's right up there with my favorite games of all time... I personally liked it even more than DS and DS2...Even though the story can be pretty confusing, I've read up on every piece of information I could find and it's just so fucking cool. The hunters, byrgenwerth, the great ones.... Awesome.

Soul_Pie

Good post. I personally think it's a level above the Souls games in terms of where I'd rate them. The animations which make your moves look like poetry, the combat improvements and rhythm change, the way they streamlined so that you never spend too much time in your inventory, I think they took away a lot of the RPG/souls trappings and gave it a chance to breathe. It's like every aspect of the design of the game is so confident, so assured that it actually just embarrasses most other games in the process. Only issue I had with the game was the load times and the frame rate crashing at points.

Currently on my second playthrough and loving it again. I think I'm just obsessed with the world and its character, artistically it is on another level, I catch myself just admiring the backdrops all the time. I don't think I've been this enamoured with a game's setting since Metroid Prime.

george_us

One of my favorite games ever. Singlehandedly justifies owning a PS4. The DLC is a significant step down in my eyes but still fairly good. Overall by far the best game of the generation.

Nev

Banned
I guess I'll have to replay it for the DLC and Cainhurst. I've never replayed any of these games, not because I don't like them obviously but because I liked them so much in the first playthrough that I don't want to tarnish the experience in some way. That, and because I think part of what makes them great is the fact that you can and will miss stuff if you don't read a guide or know what secrets and enemies are around the next corner, which you do for the most part if you play again.

I might be weird but I don't try out every weapon or build, I stick with one build and two-three weapons for the whole game. I don't know, there's something about leaving stuff undiscovered and/or unused that I like, as long as it's not a main area worth a boss or two like apparently Cainhurst is. I'm talking a 5-10% of the game's content in regards to weapons, items or a secret small area. Cainhurst plus what's left of the chalice dungeons and the DLC will make me come back to this one for sure though, I'm just glad I derped with overconfidence against that bag dude though lol or I would've missed the prison break too.

orochi91

Having gone through the entire Bloodborne lore now that the DLC has been released, I can safely say that this game has one of the best world-building/lore in all of gaming.

Seriously, the various realms/frontiers and cosmic fuckery in this game are fascinating stuff :eek:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished this game 4 times this year despite having a huge backlog and limited time to game.
And I can only echo to read the paleblood hunt and/or watch the LetsPlay from ENB. I'm not even joking when I say that those made me love this game even more than I already did.

GutsOfThor

I never got into the Souls games but for whatever reason this game just clicked with me. I;m still at the beginning though( just got to the Father Gascoigne fight and am getting my ass handed to me.

Any tips?

Nev

Banned
I never got into the Souls games but for whatever reason this game just clicked with me. I;m still at the beginning though( just got to the Father Gascoigne fight and am getting my ass handed to me.

Any tips?

If you can't get past him just call for co-op help. If you haven't already it'll be a good introduction to the co-op mechanics. Don't be overconfident though, if you're only two and the summoned player isn't too overleveled (I'm not sure if there's a cap for co-op based on level like in Dark Souls but I assume there is) it will still be hard, but you'll have the advantage of being two players for him to target instead of focusing you alone.

I guess I'll have to replay it for the DLC and Cainhurst. I've never replayed any of these games, not because I don't like them obviously but because I liked them so much in the first playthrough that I don't want to tarnish the experience in some way. That, and because I think part of what makes them great is the fact that you can and will miss stuff if you don't read a guide or know what secrets and enemies are around the next corner, which you do for the most part if you play again.

I might be weird but I don't try out every weapon or build, I stick with one build and two-three weapons for the whole game. I don't know, there's something about leaving stuff undiscovered and/or unused that I like, as long as it's not a main area worth a boss or two like apparently Cainhurst is. I'm talking a 5-10% of the game's content in regards to weapons, items or a secret small area. Cainhurst plus what's left of the chalice dungeons and the DLC will make me come back to this one for sure though, I'm just glad I derped with overconfidence against that bag dude though lol or I would've missed the prison break too.
Prepare yourself for a world pain in the dlc. Pay special attention to the music, because it's fantastic.

Gbraga

Having gone through the entire Bloodborne lore now that the DLC has been released, I can safely say that this game has one of the best world-building/lore in all of gaming.

Seriously, the various realms/frontiers and cosmic fuckery in this game are fascinating stuff :eek:

Absolutely. It's the kind of stuff you spend the entire day thinking about when you're away from the console.

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea.

Any tips?

May the good blood guide your way

Sulik2

It starts horribly. Just incredibly poorly designed not letting you level up before you stumble on the cleric beast. That being said, once I got past that, got some levels and started getting into a grove I am really enjoying it. Farming bullets/vials is really a dumb decision, but the speedier gameplay is really interesting.

Maddrical

I finished Bloodborne for the second time over my holiday break, this time I took my time and didn't rush to the final boss, ended up exploring and discovered Cainhurst Castle & Upper Cathedral Ward. Cainhurst Castle gives The Painted World competition as my favourite optional area in these games. It might not play as well as The Painted World, but it's almost the best looking area in the entire game, I loved it. Also played through the DLC, again From left some of the best 'til last, it was fantastic and the new weapons are great. I'm again rocking Ludwig's Holy Blade for bosses, but now I use the Beast Cutter quite a lot, it's just so fun to use. Two of the bosses are some of my favourite fights in the game in
Orphan of Kos & Lady Maria
; the latter in particular was an amazing fight, the former was seriously tough as nails and I loved the environment you fought in. How do you all rank
Orphan of Kos
in terms of fight difficulty compared to the rest of the game? I really struggled with the wide, sweeping attacks and massive damage. It made
Laurence
seem quite easy straight after because he hit for so much less damage.

Playing through BB again solidifies that I cannot rank these games in an order. Every time I play one of them, it feels like my favourite game. They're all truly amazing. I just wish Bloodborne was on PC for dat 60FPS goodness. I want the platinum but cannot be bothered farming chalice dungeons for that trophy, I'm not really a fan. I might one day, though.

As a side note, I played a bit of Lords of the Fallen while near the end of my BB run. That game honestly felt like the slowest, most painful experience ever after the chaotic gameplay of BB. I've only killed the first 2 bosses but so far every single enemy has been a knight with a shield which I block and then swing and repeat. I love the weight of the weapon swings, though.

Bloodborne is still the best game available on PS4, IMO. I cannot wait for Dark Souls 3 utilising the BB engine at 60FPS, it's going to be glorious.

It starts horribly. Just incredibly poorly designed not letting you level up before you stumble on the cleric beast. That being said, once I got past that, got some levels and started getting into a grove I am really enjoying it. Farming bullets/vials is really a dumb decision, but the speedier gameplay is really interesting.
I leveled up well before I knew the cleric beast existed.

Gbraga

It's actually not necessary to stumble on the Cleric Beast, you just need insight, from any source, like Madman's Knowledge that you can find two in Central Yharnam.

About vials being a consumable item, while it wasn't really an issue to me, I've always felt like Estus in Dark Souls was the best healing model they've made so far, definitely the most balanced. For people doing well at the game, it can be more challenging because they have a limited amount at first, while in Bloodborne you can have 20 from the start, and for people struggling with the game, they can at least be sure they'll always have 5~10 estus, never having to farm them.

Hopefully they keep that system for Dark Souls III.

How do you all rank
Orphan of Kos
in terms of fight difficulty compared to the rest of the game? I really struggled with the wide, sweeping attacks and massive damage. It made
Laurence
seem quite easy straight after because he hit for so much less damage.

Up there, definitely. I think
Firesage Beast (you can never be too safe with some of these spoilers :p)
was the hardest boss in the game, and I also felt like
Ludwig, the Accursed
gave me more trouble than him, but when it comes to the main game, the only other boss that gave me as much trouble was the Defiled Hotdog in the Chalice Dungeons, but that's more because of the gimmick in that chalice than the boss just having a difficult moveset to deal with.

Loved the bosses in the DLC, what an amazing expansion, the game is a lot better with it. Not just because of the content it offers, but also how it changes the game, with much more weapon variety, and more importantly, with you getting almost all of them just by picking them up, rather then unlocking them to purchase with a badge.

Really good stuff.

Playing through BB again solidifies that I cannot rank these games in an order. Every time I play one of them, it feels like my favourite game. They're all truly amazing. I just wish Bloodborne was on PC for dat 60FPS goodness. I want the platinum but cannot be bothered farming chalice dungeons for that trophy, I'm not really a fan. I might one day, though.

The Platinum is actually the easiest in the series, and now that you can buy Chalice materials in the shops, it's probably even easier. It's definitely worth doing. Chalice Dungeons are trash imo, but some of the boss fights are legit great.

When it comes to ranking them, I have a really hard time deciding if I prefer Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but I feel pretty confident saying I like these two quite a bit more than the rest.

Bloodborne is still the best game available on PS4, IMO. I cannot wait for Dark Souls 3 utilising the BB engine at 60FPS, it's going to be glorious.

Oh yes, it will :')

And with no delay (hopefully) on PC this time!

Wensih

The most memorable thing in bloodborne were the cairns made of the nautilus shells in the fishing hamlet that could be knocked over if you walked through them.

Just bought this during Christmas vacations. I had never played a Souls game before and was never interested anyway but I loved the art style in Bloodborne and I got it for 20 bucks.

Holy shit. I still don't even know what I'm doing. I pride myself in playing all my games on hard on the first run because I can't bother to beat them multiple times, but this is something else. The whole philosophy of get out there and die and then come back to die a little bit further. It's actually scary going out to explore and surviving for a long time, because now you have all this loot and you're far away from a safe haven without knowing if you're gonna run into a boss at any time. The visuals and sound (soundtrack is lovely) just accentuate the constant dread.

I'm at Vicar Amelia (12 hours or so) and I already got more than my money's worth.

Just bought this during Christmas vacations. I had never played a Souls game before and was never interested anyway but I loved the art style in Bloodborne and I got it for 20 bucks.

Holy shit. I still don't even know what I'm doing. I pride myself in playing all my games on hard on the first run because I can't bother to beat them multiple times, but this is something else. The whole philosophy of get out there and die and then come back to die a little bit further. It's actually scary going out to explore and surviving for a long time, because now you have all this loot and you're far away from a safe haven without knowing if you're gonna run into a boss at any time. The visuals and sound (soundtrack is lovely) just accentuate the constant dread.

I'm at Vicar Amelia (12 hours or so) and I already got more than my money's worth.

You ain't even close to done

Gbraga

Yeah, the director talks about difficulty as a means to an end in several interviews. It's not as much about him enjoying hard games as it is just the fact that the tension created by a high difficulty results in a much more rewarding feeling when you beat the challenge.

Part of what makes the bosses so memorable is how you have to understand their every move to progress, you can't just treat them like any other enemy and move on. It really makes you appreciate the fight's design a lot more.

Which bosses did you fight so far?

Maddrical

About vials being a consumable item, while it wasn't really an issue to me, I've always felt like Estus in Dark Souls was the best healing model they've made so far, definitely the most balanced. For people doing well at the game, it can be more challenging because they have a limited amount at first, while in Bloodborne you can have 20 from the start, and for people struggling with the game, they can at least be sure they'll always have 5~10 estus, never having to farm them.

Hopefully they keep that system for Dark Souls III.

Totally agree, and I think From would agree also. They really had to change quite a lot from DS -> BB though, if they kept the estus system it just would've felt.. weird. I like the vial system as an experienced player, but as a noobie I cannot imagine how hard it must be. The Estus system is perfect for these games.

Up there, definitely. I think
Firesage Beast (you can never be too safe with some of these spoilers :p)
was the hardest boss in the game, and I also felt like
Ludwig, the Accursed
gave me more trouble than him, but when it comes to the main game, the only other boss that gave me as much trouble was the Defiled Hotdog in the Chalice Dungeons, but that's more because of the gimmick in that chalice than the boss just having a difficult moveset to deal with.

Loved the bosses in the DLC, what an amazing expansion, the game is a lot better with it. Not just because of the content it offers, but also how it changes the game, with much more weapon variety, and more importantly, with you getting almost all of them just by picking them up, rather then unlocking them to purchase with a badge.

Not sure who you mean by
Firesage Beast
, do you mean
Lawrence
? I think I got pretty lucky with him, I had run out of flasks and managed to kill him mid-swing just before I died, he was a toughie but I felt his damage was pretty minimal after getting constantly 2-3 hit by the
Orphan
Ludwig
was SUPER intense, loved that fight also and his voice was super creepy. Agreed regarding the DLC, I felt that the re-release of SOTFS for DS2 was a massive improvement and totally required. While The Old Hunters isn't as huge, I think it's definitely necessary to get the best experience, even just for the new weapons.

The Platinum is actually the easiest in the series, and now that you can buy Chalice materials in the shops, it's probably even easier. It's definitely worth doing. Chalice Dungeons are trash imo, but some of the boss fights are legit great.

Yeah the boss fights are what make me want to play through them, but my holidays are over and ehh kinda lost motivation. Plus I'd need to rush through the whole game one more time to get the third ending.

Love posts like this, you've got a long hunt ahead of you my friend! Don't be afraid to summon help if you're really struggling on a boss, but make sure you give it a decent go first!

OneUh8

fuck I love this game. I think I will go play now and help some peeps with bosses. It is one of my favorite things to do is being summoned to others. So much fun!

You ain't even close to done

I know. One of the reasons I didn't buy it early on is that I thought it would be too time consuming, but I play in 20-30 minutes spurts and it's worked out so far.

Yeah, the director talks about difficulty as a means to an end in several interviews. It's not as much about him enjoying hard games as it is just the fact that the tension created by a high difficulty results in a much more rewarding feeling when you beat the challenge.

Part of what makes the bosses so memorable is how you have to understand their every move to progress, you can't just treat them like any other enemy and move on. It really makes you appreciate the fight's design a lot more.

Which bosses did you fight so far?

Cleric Beast, Father G, Blood Starved Beast, and Vicar Amelia.

But honestly it's not even about the bosses for me. It's the literally the exploring. When you've gone like 30 minutes without getting a checkpoint, or shortcut, or anything that might indicate that you're safe, and you have like 20,000 echoes on you. You start walking at like 0 miles per hour with your eyes wide open just in case some random comes out of nowhere and one shots you. You're so vulnerable in this game, that if one of those little chumps from the beginning lands a combo you could actually die, and any fight involving 2 or more enemies is a freaking duel to death.

Gbraga

Not sure who you mean by
Firesage Beast
, do you mean
Lawrence
? I think I got pretty lucky with him, I had run out of flasks and managed to kill him mid-swing just before I died, he was a toughie but I felt his damage was pretty minimal after getting constantly 2-3 hit by the
Orphan
Ludwig
was SUPER intense, loved that fight also and his voice was super creepy. Agreed regarding the DLC, I felt that the re-release of SOTFS for DS2 was a massive improvement and totally required. While The Old Hunters isn't as huge, I think it's definitely necessary to get the best experience, even just for the new weapons.

Playing it on NG+3 for the first time might have something to do with my impressions regarding the difficulty of the bosses. I read you talking about a big difference being you getting 2~3 shot, but
Laurence
had quite a few moves that one shot me, even at 50 VIT. So being able to take 1 or 2 hits from that boss was great to me :p

Cleric Beast, Father G, Blood Starved Beast, and Vicar Amelia.

But honestly it's not even about the bosses for me. It's the literally the exploring. When you've gone like 30 minutes without getting a checkpoint, or shortcut, or anything that might indicate that you're safe, and you have like 20,000 echoes on you. You start walking at like 0 miles per hour with your eyes wide open just in case some random comes out of nowhere and one shots you. You're so vulnerable in this game, that if one of those little chumps from the beginning lands a combo you could actually die, and any fight involving 2 or more enemies is a freaking duel to death.

Haha, I totally know what you mean. I remember losing 40k Souls for the first time in Blighttown in Dark Souls. It was so heartbreaking.

After a while you realize that it doesn't really mean anything at all, but still, at the time you can't help but take a very deep breath.

Brakke

Banned

Agree the start is kind of lame. I definitely got over a hump on grinding for vials though. Now whenever I got to level, I inevitably have thousands of echoes left over, so I just dump them off into buying Vials and Molotovs and now my stores are vast.

Maddrical

Playing it on NG+3 for the first time might have something to do with my impressions regarding the difficulty of the bosses. I read you talking about a big difference being you getting 2~3 shot, but
Laurence
had quite a few moves that one shot me, even at 50 VIT. So being able to take 1 or 2 hits from that boss was great to me :p

Oh dang, fair enough then haha! I killed him first attempt just essentially tanking a lot of his hits as I could take about 4 hits and be okay. He looked awesome though, it's like they thought "What would make the
cleric beast
look even more insane? I know, lets set him on fire!" I actually really hate 1 shotting bosses and missing out on cool stuff, like
Ebrietas
I kind of cheesed just standing between her leg things and comboing her from behind. Then again, I cheesed half of Demon's Souls in my first playthrough because it was so damn hard and it still felt good so oh well!

Gbraga

Oh dang, fair enough then haha! I killed him first attempt just essentially tanking a lot of his hits as I could take about 4 hits and be okay. He looked awesome though, it's like they thought "What would make the
cleric beast
look even more insane? I know, lets set him on fire!" I actually really hate 1 shotting bosses and missing out on cool stuff, like
Ebrietas
I kind of cheesed just standing between her leg things and comboing her from behind. Then again, I cheesed half of Demon's Souls in my first playthrough because it was so damn hard and it still felt good so oh well!

I adore trivializing bosses, it's one of the most fun things in these games to me. I'm never lucky enough to get it on my first playthrough though, it's usually when I start getting into speedruns for the game that I learn the actual cheese strats.

Ludwig
went from being one of the hardest bosses in the game to being actually pretty easy when I learned the way to trivialize him. I love this so much about these games.

Mr_Moogle

Still the only real reason I own a PS4. I already have a pretty competent gaming PC and hadn't seen anything that would make me drop $500 on a console this gen until Bloodborne came around.

I was not disappointed. I think the game even exceeds Souls in certain areas. The dodge mechanic makes battles more engaging. The weapons, while there are less of them overall are so much fun. The dark gothic style and overall bloodiness really suits this type of game. I just love how after running through a level, your character will be dripping with blood.

Bloodborne is also probably the closest thing you'll get to survival-horror these days too. It's my game of 2015.

Top Bottom