• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late To Yharnam's Party Night: Bloodborne

depths20XX

Souls/Borne games really ignite something in me that I haven't gotten from gaming for a long time. I started with DeS, then went to DS. At the time I enjoyed them and got probably halfway through each one, they didn't completely click with me though. (I think it was because I tried to use a guide instead of going in blind). It wasn't until Bloodborne that I got fully wrapped up in the game.

After that I went back and played DS again and it was an even more amazing experience. There's something about these games that excites me as someone who considers himself pretty jaded about most games lately. It reminds me of discovering games when I was young. It's really unlike all the other stuff out there.

Maddrical

I adore trivializing bosses, it's one of the most fun things in these games to me. I'm never lucky enough to get it on my first playthrough though, it's usually when I start getting into speedruns for the game that I learn the actual cheese strats.

Ludwig
went from being one of the hardest bosses in the game to being actually pretty easy when I learned the way to trivialize him. I love this so much about these games.

That's true, cheese strats are pretty clever. I don't think I've ever killed Old King Allant in Demon's Souls legitimately and I made it to NG++++ in that game. I just cheesed him by poisoning him to death every time. That fight was hard and I got sick of him stealing my levels, haha.

I think the game even exceeds Souls in certain areas. The dodge mechanic makes battles more engaging. The weapons, while there are less of them overall are so much fun. The dark gothic style and overall bloodiness really suits this type of game. I just love how after running through a level, your character will be dripping with blood.

Bloodborne is also probably the closest thing you'll get to survival-horror these days too. It's my game of 2015.

Agree with all of this. I wasn't looking forward to the intense dodging when I watched pre-release footage as I've always been a sword'n'shield guy in Souls Games, but it plays amazingly. But for me it's the art style of the game, it's just amazing. I remember a shiver going up my spine the first time I heard the
cleric beast
screech as I climbed the ladder very early on in the game. And all the shots of the moon on the horizon are just stunning, they never, ever got old and my BB screenshots compromise of probably 90% moons haha!

Playing it on NG+3 for the first time might have something to do with my impressions regarding the difficulty of the bosses. I read you talking about a big difference being you getting 2~3 shot, but
Laurence
had quite a few moves that one shot me, even at 50 VIT. So being able to take 1 or 2 hits from that boss was great to me :p

Haha, I totally know what you mean. I remember losing 40k Souls for the first time in Blighttown in Dark Souls. It was so heartbreaking.

After a while you realize that it doesn't really mean anything at all, but still, at the time you can't help but take a very deep breath.
That phase where he's dragging I had so much trouble with the lava flowing, I'm still on my first playthrough I just beat him.

Rizific

Ludwig
went from being one of the hardest bosses in the game to being actually pretty easy when I learned the way to trivialize him. I love this so much about these games.
Care to share? I've had it with that asshole. He's halted my progress since before Christmas, well over 100 vials used, don't even know how many attempts. I can get him to phase 2 pretty consistently, then once I get hit one time there are pretty much another guaranteed 2-3 hits afterwards.

At least the reward for beating him is quite amazing.

Took me 7 mins lol
http://youtu.be/ISABDTCmY0s

Care to share? I've had it with that asshole. He's halted my progress since before Christmas, well over 100 vials used, don't even know how many attempts. I can get him to phase 2 pretty consistently, then once I get hit one time there are pretty much another guaranteed 2-3 hits afterwards.

Beat him yesterday after 30 times, changed my armor (butcher setup) and a bit of luck
http://youtu.be/zlZ_9fmLeKw

It's true,
Ludwig
has fairly consistent patterns once you get it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd2PDY4wrWM

Once you learn his different sword strings and how they start, you will know ahead of time which ones are coming next. Also, when getting hit by one do not mash dodge, often times you will just dodge right into the next attack. Stay calm and wait for the next attack.

Melchiah

It starts horribly. Just incredibly poorly designed not letting you level up before you stumble on the cleric beast. That being said, once I got past that, got some levels and started getting into a grove I am really enjoying it. Farming bullets/vials is really a dumb decision, but the speedier gameplay is really interesting.

Agree the start is kind of lame. I definitely got over a hump on grinding for vials though. Now whenever I got to level, I inevitably have thousands of echoes left over, so I just dump them off into buying Vials and Molotovs and now my stores are vast.

I wish I could experience the beginning for the first time again. It was frustrating at times, but I also loved how intense it was. I took the Blood Echo farming as practise, which paid off in the long run.

That took me well over 7 minutes with NPC helper, and like you I depleted all Blood Vials and nearly all of my remaining health.

https://youtu.be/EnYorp-qgcw

Markoman

Took a break from the game and picked it up 3 weeks ago with the DLC. I'm going for the platinum, with only one trophy left. Fantastic game!

Those who claim that BB is the easiest Souls game either haven't been doing the Chalice Dungeons it seems or a mongst those players who have crushed above 500 vermins. Some hardcore shit in there. Especially the Defiled Chalice Dungeons. Holy mother of god, I was so close to give up on my Plat-ambitions when
Amigdala fucked me over and over again because of her one-hit-kills

SomTervo

I don't think I can even find fault in it, not anything glaring anyway. An absolute masterpiece. The only reason it's not higher in any all time lists for me personally, is simply because I still find it sort of dreary and bleak, but I appreciate that is by design. But my word, what an experience.

My girlfriend tried BB as her first Souls game.

She adored the gameplay – but it was actually the bleakness which put her off. The world was just so depressing, she felt sort of tense and stressed playing it even if she loved the mechanics and exploring.

One acclimatises to that, but not quickly. And sometimes it hits you hard.

silva1991

When BloodBorne tries to be cheap I can also be cheap

http://youtu.be/ISABDTCmY0s

DLC Boss Spoiler just in case.

Defeated him earlier today, very intense fight.

Super saiyan lol. were you experimenting with the blood cocktail? I don't think it works on him.

It starts horribly. Just incredibly poorly designed not letting you level up before you stumble on the cleric beast. That being said, once I got past that, got some levels and started getting into a grove I am really enjoying it. Farming bullets/vials is really a dumb decision, but the speedier gameplay is really interesting.

The cleric beast is optional boss tho, and I disagree it's the second best starting area after DS1.

Endo Punk

She adored the gameplay – but it was actually the bleakness which put her off. The world was just so depressing, she felt sort of tense and stressed playing it even if she loved the mechanics and exploring.

It's best to offset the overwhelming atmosphere by playing cheesy pop songs and power ballads over it.

You can get Madmans knowledge in from either the sewers or near the main bridge. No need to encounter cleric beast whos optional or Gascoigne whos actually the first boss.

Endo Punk

The opening to BB is phenomenal. It looks daunting sure but that is more intimidation tactics than actual challenge. It is a tutorial area without specifically saying it is. A lot to explore and you can run away successfully from every single foe. The game teaches you every single valuable lesson that will come in handy in the actual tough areas.

You can get Madmans knowledge in from either the sewers or near the main bridge. No need to encounter cleric beast whos optional or Gascoigne whos actually the first boss.
You seriously expect new players to know that you need insight to start leveling up? The game essentially funnels you towards Cleric Beast anyway (there are alternate paths but they're pretty well obscured). Yes it's technically optional but it was clearly designed as the players "first boss", and for you to be able to level up after dying to it.
The first part of this game is extremely rough, even for vets. I'm happy to say I figured out everything on my own (got the game early so I had to), but not everyone has the patience or even fortitude for that.

Melchiah

Actually, that's one of the reasons I love the game, and can't get enough of it. Then again, that applies to everything else as well, be it music, movies or literature.

You seriously expect new players to know that you need insight to start leveling up? The game essentially funnels you towards Cleric Beast anyway (there are alternate paths but they're pretty well obscured). Yes it's technically optional but it was clearly designed as the players "first boss", and for you to be able to level up after dying to it.
The first part of this game is extremely rough, even for vets. I'm happy to say I figured out everything on my own (got the game early so I had to), but not everyone has the patience or even fortitude for that.

I keep forgetting my bad.
But tbh thats some pretty ingenious design thinkin about it. Its like the whole beginning is training you.

<<<-------------------------

On another note, I've been into and have trained Boxing and Muay Thai Kickboxing for most of the past decade and love how 'real' the combat in Bloodborne feels. I'm not saying I'm rolling around the floor or quickstepping during training, but the weight of a simple backstep after tapping O once and evading a heavy swing, the following recovery time of the enemy's arm coming back up and so on feel extremely believable. I've used sparring movement tactics while playing this game and they worked as logic dictated, beautiful design.

EDIT: Awful spelling...

I got the Platinum for it recently. My first game where I got all the achievements/trophies on. I don't know if I want to do it for any other game because how could it get any better?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hate to add another car to this train but I'll echo the Bloodborne is my GOTY comments. You would think after playing the other Souls games prior I would be getting tired of the more formulaic elements of the series but god damned if I havent played through the game three times now.

I'm at the age I dont have tons of free time anymore for myself, let alone for videogames, and yet I'd still find myself up well past midnight grinding saying to myself,"Just one more level of this chalice dungeon". In fact I agree with a lot of people that the design of the chalice dungeons is lacking but the gameplay at its core was so well designed and implemented that I just enjoyed the combat in of itself. A last second blast of my Evelyn, the chime of an open enemy, and then the gory finish of the visceral attack followed by the soothing sound of more blood echoes added to my total.

I hate to add another car to this train but I'll echo the Bloodborne is my GOTY comments. You would think after playing the other Souls games prior I would be getting tired of the more formulaic elements of the series but god damned if I havent played through the game three times now.

I'm at the age I dont have tons of free time anymore for myself, let alone for videogames, and yet I'd still find myself up well past midnight grinding saying to myself,"Just one more level of this chalice dungeon". In fact I agree with a lot of people that the design of the chalice dungeons is lacking but the gameplay at its core was so well designed and implemented that I just enjoyed the combat in of itself. A last second blast of my Evelyn, the chime of an open enemy, and then the gory finish of the visceral attack followed by the soothing sound of more blood echoes added to my total.

You know it man.

I keep playing it because nothing else feels better to play. It's just so satisfying.

Top Bottom