• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: C-

So I finally decided to take the plunge on Ninja Gaiden, mostly because of the buy-2-get-1-free sale at Gamestop (ends tomorrow!) plus 20% off coupon from Game Informer. (Got NG, Maximo 2, and SC5 SE for $55 total.) I shall rate the game by category below:

GRAPHICS: 1,000,000 out of 1,000,000. Absolutely gorgeous stuff, even though there's not much of note in the levels besides walls and enemies.

SOUND: I like that the music is used to keep you on edge.

CAMERA: On a scale of one to gay, I would give the camera somewhere around an Elton John. Most of my problems with the game centered around the fact that I couldn't see shit.

TITTIES: Too large for a ninja game.

OVERALL: Addictive as all hell. By the time I finished level five my stomach was going BURBLEBURBLEBURBLE because I had completely forgotten to eat. That should say something.

u_neek

Kobun Heat said:
CAMERA: On a scale of one to gay, I would give the camera somewhere around an Elton John. Most of my problems with the game centered around the fact that I couldn't see shit.

That's no Elton John then.... maybe a Jake Gyllenhaal...

What I really like is that it's very brain-stretching, because you do have to figure out the absolute best way to kill shit without taking damage. For me that usually consists of running up a wall and hitting X over and over. Still fun.

belgurdo

Banned
I couldn't beat the camera and got tired of it. But the game is pretty solid (although having multiple characters would have been awesome.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
i was able to overcome the retarded camera and still enjoy the game...but yeah
He never said he did not enjoy the game, in fact he said the opposite.

Ramirez

Chapter 15 was insane with all the bosses and such...good thing I had 3 Tailsmen of Rebirth,heh.

And I find it funny that the last boss was so much easier than the the first boss,much less any of the others,lol.

Still a great game though...

Gattsu25

Banned
Huh? I'm talking about his final score...I'd give NG a 8.9 to 9.2, personally...just saying that I didn't let the camera affect my view on the game as much as him, but still understand his score

edit: wait...I have no way to detect poor internet humor...final score was probably in jest

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
Huh? I'm talking about his final score...I'd give NG a 8.9 to 9.2, personally...just saying that I didn't let the camera affect my view on the game as much as him, but still understand his score

edit: wait...I have no way to detect poor internet humor...final score was probably in jest
Oh, 6.8 is an old "in" joke, just like C–.

he could have been serious, but if I know Kobun, it was at least 50% joke.

edit: just saw your edit. exactly :)

shpankey

not an idiot
I hated the fact that you have to play certain parts over and over and over again to advance to the next part, where you then have to do that part over and over and over again to advance. Wash rinse repeat... The camera sucked also. Call me weaksauce, but any game that makes me play over and over again till I figure out the winning "pattern" is just fucking gay and is 1980's Japanese games. It's repetitive as shit, and I won't waste my time doing and seeing the same shit over and over add naseum.

Lastly, I hate gay respawning enemies. How fucking lame.

I give the game a D- cause I hate that shit. This game stands for everything in gaming I hated in the 80's (having to find patterns to advance gameplay), and is a big reason I sorely dislike all Japanese made games.

Gattsu25

Banned
shpankey said:
Call me weaksauce

Ok.

The begginning of the game is the hardest part...once you hit mission 3 the game becomes much easier and much more fun.....past the second boss (FUCK YOU TEAM NINJA) i don't remember ever having to restart a section over and over...the game is challenging, but fair

Only part that was hard to me was the warehouse...then i figured the enemies didn't re-spawn infinately

Mrbob

sim-ninjagaiden-0001.jpg

Xbox GOTY *

*Not including Halo 2

Oh yeah and the Master Ninja tournament is/was ass.

Gattsu25 said:
The begginning of the game is the hardest part...once you hit mission 3 the game becomes much easier and much more fun.....past the second boss (FUCK YOU TEAM NINJA)
That's really interesting to hear. The second boss was indeed a bitch and a fucking bitch. I think I fought that bastard about thirty or forty times. Thank goodness for the firewheel.

ced

I absolutely loved this game.

I really think its the best action game Ive ever played, and I have played alot. Im not even a big fan of difficult games, I think the latest I tried was Vietiful Joe, and quit at the 3rd level or something (shark boss). However something about this game kept me going, even through hell aka alma.

The camera is excellent, but it has a huge learning curve, and thats where most of the complaints come from. I played through it again in hard and was in total control of camera and Ryu, there was such a HUGE improvement in my skill. I didnt have one problem with the camera, even with the second level boss.

I can understand some reviews being harsh on the camera, it is very slow to learn, but once your an expert, this game is a 10 our of 10 to me.

Ramirez

You guys honestly had that much trouble with the second boss?

I beat him first time,easily...all ya had to do was kill off those mages or whatever,then he was easy as hell :D

----

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Gattsu25 said:
The begginning of the game is the hardest part...once you hit mission 3 the game becomes much easier and much more fun.....past the second boss (FUCK YOU TEAM NINJA)
That's really interesting to hear. The second boss was indeed a bitch and a fucking bitch. I think I fought that bastard about thirty or forty times. Thank goodness for the firewheel..
Yep feel the exact same way. Hard first 3 levels, seemingly impossible 2nd boss, etc. Camera works fine in open areas, it is crap in some tight areas. All the bosses are easy to beat though if you know the trick to beat them, kind of like Punch-Out. Mike Tyson's Punch Out was one of the greatest games ever so that's quite a complement.

I give the game a D- cause I hate that shit. This game stands for everything in gaming I hated in the 80's (having to find patterns to advance gameplay), and is a big reason I sorely dislike all Japanese made games.
That's mainly the RPG element of the game. When you get good at the game you come to love respawns because they are an endless source of power and money. Without the respawns in the game it would be impossible to level up your weapons.

once your an expert, this game is a 10 our of 10 to me.
I know me too. In a lot of ways I want to say it was an even better gaming experience than Halo, but Halo had the multiplayer. The main character is cooler, has better weapons and magic, the graphics are better, the boss battles are incredibly fun, there's a lot more gore and violence, but at the end of the day Halo had 16 player multiplayer and Warthogs.

ced

Ramirez said:

I beat him first time,easily...all ya had to do was kill off those mages or whatever,then he was easy as hell :D

Some people didnt know the mages would stop coming after a certain number were killed, myself included.

This is crazy but I honestly had more problems with the airship boss than any others besides Alma. I dont know what my problem was, but I must have tried him 20 times, second time through on hard I obliterated him, I guess I was a slow learner.

Gattsu25

Banned
actually, I knew how to kill the second boss but still found him difficult...great game but that boss was nonsense...nuff said

Ramirez said:

That's why I didn't mention difficulty in my first post, because every thread about a difficult game has to turn into a urinating contest. YOU WIN CONGRATURATION!

Gattsu25

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
That's why I didn't mention difficulty in my first post, because every thread about a difficult game has to turn into a urinating contest. YOU WIN CONGRATURATION!

:thumbsup

Pachinko

Alma and the stage 3 boss gave me the most trouble. The hardest part of the game for me was the sewer, once I made it through there the game was easy. I don't know exactly what made it so hard for me, it just felt like a steep jump up in enemy AI patterns, IE- they counterattacked and threw you when you blocked to long.

aku:jiki

shpankey said:
Like someone mentioned; you'll love it if you learn the game. Learn the moves instead (and make money!) of trying to find patterns or whatever your were talking about. Just kick ass and have fun. :p

ced

aku:jiki said:
Like someone mentioned; you'll love it if you learn the game. Learn the moves instead (and make money!) of trying to find patterns or whatever your were talking about. Just kick ass and have fun. :p

Whats even greater about this is they only respawn in certain areas, the design of this is so well done.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I hope to get to play this game finally tomorrow. Actually I bought it today, waited till evening, grabbed a beer, popped NG in to my Xbox, turned on my brand new 42 plasma, saw the animations start . . . and then my dog hurt it's back, I had to leave for the vet, ending up waiting three hours, and now I'm back in, 4.20 AM. Well, I'll have the beer now, and hope my dog will recover.

* use potion *
* cure dog *

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
aku:jiki said:

Ah, so it's like Kirby's Air Ride!

Ramirez

Heh,in no way was I trying to sound like I was l33t at the game or anything,I sucked at the game really,I was just making a statement.No need to be an ass :)

Demigod Mac

Query:

Is there any available content downloads besides the tournament notices? Do you have to play in the tourney to download such things?

Ryu

I personally just got into this game (on level 4 now) and I'm having fun, but just like many, my main problem is with the camera. It was particularly disorienting on the second boss just as everyone mentioned. The puzzle to get the hyper super beheading shuriken was pretty neat though with the blue trails and the stupid ass xbox prototype unit energy fountain. Still, having fun with it despite its apparent and already mentioned flaws.

Top Bottom