• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kuo: Shipments for Apples headset may be delayed until 2nd half 2023. Initial shipment may likely be less than 500k.

Mass shipments of Apple's long-rumored AR/VR headset may be delayed until the second half of 2023 due to unspecified "software-related issues," according to the latest information shared today by tech analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo said mass shipments of components for the headset are still likely to begin in the first half of 2023, but he believes that mass shipments of fully assembled headsets may not begin until the second half of the year. This delay could result in the headset launching in the second half of 2023, even if Apple announces it earlier in the year.

Apple's headset is expected to be an expensive, niche product, with Kuo forecasting that the company will ship fewer than 500,000 headsets in 2023.

This contradicts reports months ago that Apple was producing an affordable version of the headset, though I'm sure there will be an expensive high-end model. Kuo seems to think there are software issues as the cause for the potential delay and shipment decrease, which was originally reported to be 700k and over, now Kuo is saying due to the delay it will have less than 500k initial shipment, a much lower number.

With previous reports indicating Apples VR OS software was ready, and Apple recently changing the name to "XrOS" from "RealityOS", I'm not sure if software is the cause of the delay if this is true.

But regardless, Kuo based on his information sees Apple dropping shipments to less than 500,000 which I find concerning because even if software issues are the cause for the delay as Kuo says, that really does look like there's a lack of confidence in the market by Apple imo. That's a significantly lower amount of headsets.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
092.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This contradicts reports months ago that Apple was producing an affordable version of the headset, though I'm sure there will be an expensive high-end model.
How is it a contradiction, I doubt the affordable $1500 version will be flying off the shelves in the millions.

Cyberpunkd

The economy is teetering on the brink of collapse who is buying an Apple VR headset
Same people buying graphic cards, PS5, XSX, etc., just with a little bit more money. Let's not kid ourselves - there are millions of people with absolutely zero education on how to budget and spend/save.

Max_Po

Banned
Majority or people who I know buy overpriced apple trash do it to show off their social status ... and are in debit ...

..including my sister ...

How is it a contradiction, I doubt the affordable $1500 version will be flying off the shelves in the millions.

The affordable version was rumored to be in the hundreds. $1500-$3000 is the range for the top headset based on what source you look at that's been rumored.

The economy is teetering on the brink of collapse who is buying an Apple VR headset

Status symbol. You can show you have Apple product to get a bag of spread during the depression.

I've managed to save 4 big cardboard boxes for my family when we get kicked out of the house and move under a bridge. Everyone is going to want a headset to escape reality.
The future is VR, and cardboard.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This won't matter either way, if they can only ship 500k it won't influence anything one way or another.

Top Bottom