• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Apple to begin production of AR|VR headset in March 2023, announcement in April. 700k initial shipment, partnering with Megatron for assembly

Interfectum

transformers-megatron.gif

Interfectum

i know how you can make VR mainstream. Its simple the price needs to be below $299.
Nah that only gets people to buy the device and make it a dust collector.

VR needs to be additive to people's lives. Rollercoaster and monster closet games aren't going to cut it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
i know how you can make VR mainstream. Its simple the price needs to be below $299.
That's what got me in, a refurb quest 2 just before the price increase. Of course I then went and spent a grand on upgrading my computer for VR but that's a different story.

Comandr

They're definitely stupid enough to.

Imagine. An iGlasshole is walking around a park playing Pokémon GO. Not only will they walk into people and things even with AR, but the expensive gadget strapped to their head, with an Apple logo, that restricts their vision and awareness...

Can't imagine a more prime mugging target. You wouldn't need to even be subtle or fast.
I don’t think you understand how augmented reality works. It’s just an overlay. Like a HUD that enhances what you normally see. If anything, you’d be LESS likely to hit anyone because you aren’t looking down at your phone, in fact you’re acutely aware of your surroundings because you’re constantly physically looking around for pokemon.
when both are made by apple the difference doesn't matter. they could sell a giant unwieldly statue of the word "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and people would buy it in droves. they managed to get away with charging 800 dollars for a fucking watch dude.
Why did you land on the watch ultra as your example? Every piece of marketing surrounding the ultra watch advertises it as for a very particular group of customers. And for them, it’s a great device at a great value. Apple sells an extremely capable smart watch for $249. This is like getting mad at Ford for selling a $50,000 car. A fucking car dude. All it does is take you to work and back.

Fuuuuurthermore, because you’re not off the hook yet, the Apple Watch ultra is iconic. They’re easily and instantly recognizable. Love them or hate them, I guarantee you that more people today instantly recognize an Apple Watch versus a Rolex, Seiko or Gucci. The Apple Watch IS a status symbol. It’s undeniable. What that status is, is up to the observer. When you see someone wearing an Apple Watch there is an instant, primal recognition. A switch gets flipped inside of you. $800 is cheap for that kind of effect. You just don’t understand the market at all.

I believe the first iteration of apple’s AR/VR will be like the Apple Watch ultra. It’ll be expensive compared to similar products and marketed towards certain people. Id guess around $1999-2499 depending on configuration. It’s not going to be for the every man. Can you buy one? Sure. But don’t complain when it’s expensive. I expect a consumer grade version to be around $399 and scaling up with memory and such.

Brace yourselves.

Tams

I don’t think you understand how augmented reality works. It’s just an overlay. Like a HUD that enhances what you normally see. If anything, you’d be LESS likely to hit anyone because you aren’t looking down at your phone, in fact you’re acutely aware of your surroundings because you’re constantly physically looking around for pokemon.

Why did you land on the watch ultra as your example? Every piece of marketing surrounding the ultra watch advertises it as for a very particular group of customers. And for them, it’s a great device at a great value. Apple sells an extremely capable smart watch for $249. This is like getting mad at Ford for selling a $50,000 car. A fucking car dude. All it does is take you to work and back.

Fuuuuurthermore, because you’re not off the hook yet, the Apple Watch ultra is iconic. They’re easily and instantly recognizable. Love them or hate them, I guarantee you that more people today instantly recognize an Apple Watch versus a Rolex, Seiko or Gucci. The Apple Watch IS a status symbol. It’s undeniable. What that status is, is up to the observer. When you see someone wearing an Apple Watch there is an instant, primal recognition. A switch gets flipped inside of you. $800 is cheap for that kind of effect. You just don’t understand the market at all.

I believe the first iteration of apple’s AR/VR will be like the Apple Watch ultra. It’ll be expensive compared to similar products and marketed towards certain people. Id guess around $1999-2499 depending on configuration. It’s not going to be for the every man. Can you buy one? Sure. But don’t complain when it’s expensive. I expect a consumer grade version to be around $399 and scaling up with memory and such.

Brace yourselves.
No, you've just shown that you have no fucking clue how AR works.

Really, just use a few brain cells and think how any headset is going to work.

Last edited:

sainraja

Media never gets right what Apple is working on (new product wise) so we will see. If Apple is indeed working on a VR headset, it will be an interesting product to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

aclar00

Sidenote, though i havent really experienced AR outside of eyetoy but i think all next gen sets would benefit from having AR added. It adds a level of variety and potential options to the headsets that wouldnt be there otherwise.

I can see KOJIMA doing some crazy MGS like thing where the VR headset flashes between in game and real world environment where you have to shoot real world objects in your room to take out Mantis, lol.

rushgore

Do people still think that all Apple products are overpriced?

Apart from iCloth and iWheel they are priced quite good. It’s just that they have few mid range and no low end products.

Wonder what Eyeware partners will be providing frames and prescription lenses. No cheap plastic frames for Apple. Titanium lightweight and shiny.

PeteBull

So if Apple is in on VR like Playstation is, when will Xbox join in?
Not in a long time, they got no games to support xbox non-vr gaming, not to mention pushing bit chunk of their studios into VR-wastes, apple-vr will share fate of all VR-experiments- aka niche/being "barely" profitable ;D

Again- no matter the price, , specs or even how big company is behind it- only killer game library can make VR popular, nothing else- and for any VR device to have such a library u would need at least 10 top quality dev studios work on such games for few years, till this happens expect to stay in friend zone, vr-enthustasts ;D

Do people still think that all Apple products are overpriced?

Apart from iCloth and iWheel they are priced quite good. It’s just that they have few mid range and no low end products.

Yes, people have broke down their production and chip costs, and they often charge more than competitors to make more product beyond what's reasonable.

They have been getting better about this recently, but not due to their actions, but due to prices of everything going up and so are the prices of competitors.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Maybe the reason why Sony decided to release the PSVR2 in early 2023 was to beat Apple the whole time?

If the rumor is true, Apple will already start production and have 700,000 units ready with an official announcement in April or late March 2023.

I assume it will be costly but Apple will probably sell it with phone carriers like it does with their Tablets, Watches, and other gizmos, allowing for payment plans. If Ming Chi is right and you can switch between AR and VR it will be an entirely different beats, and if Apple can get it to within a reasonable price (no more than $1000) I can see consumers flocking to this as the new status symbol trend and the headsets will fly off the shelves, lapping Meta twice.

That Apple Logo is going to change everything even if the headset is sub-par. If true I expect from April announcement to end of the year to sell about 6-8 million headsets.

*Pegatron is the assembly partner.

I still don't understand why phone carriers will waste money on footing the bill for this. Why would they?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think people are overestimating Apple VR’s potential in the marketplace.

A hypothetical $1k Apple VR headset with what games? FTP smartphone style VR games? Apple’s Arcade seems nice, but how invested would they truly be? PC is already entrenched with games, and Quest at least can make use of that.

And you think people would drop $1k on a headset versus half that to buy a Quest 3 or PSVR2? A $1k investment is awfully steep for an item that their cousin has one, and only played for a week or two.

I just don’t see it.

Kvally

Banned
I am sure I will get "down voted" here, but I personally would rather have an AppleBox/AppleStation. I love my iMac, iPhone and Macbook Pro. I am sure the console would cost twice as much as it should and play half the games I want it to....and yet I would still buy it. I am just as wrong as it gets.

I still don't understand why phone carriers will waste money on footing the bill for this. Why would they?

I think you are mistaking with how the phone carrier payment thing works if you think that phone carries would be "footing" the bill. Phone carries very "rarely" foot the bill, the consumer is still basically paying for the device, and more, and part of that 'more' goes right to the phone carrier, or retailer that's not a phone carrier if they also provide financing.

I think people are overestimating Apple VR’s potential in the marketplace.

A hypothetical $1k Apple VR headset with what games? FTP smartphone style VR games? Apple’s Arcade seems nice, but how invested would they truly be? PC is already entrenched with games, and Quest at least can make use of that.

And you think people would drop $1k on a headset versus half that to buy a Quest 3 or PSVR2? A $1k investment is awfully steep for an item that their cousin has one, and only played for a week or two.

I just don’t see it.

They won't drop 1K, they will drop $0 down except the taxes and will pay monthly with other added costs over time just like phones.

Although there will be many people who also do drop 1k too because hype and trends.

CobraAB

[/URL]

Maybe the reason why Sony decided to release the PSVR2 in early 2023 was to beat Apple the whole time?

If the rumor is true, Apple will already start production and have 700,000 units ready with an official announcement in April or late March 2023.

I assume it will be costly but Apple will probably sell it with phone carriers like it does with their Tablets, Watches, and other gizmos, allowing for payment plans. If Ming Chi is right and you can switch between AR and VR it will be an entirely different beats, and if Apple can get it to within a reasonable price (no more than $1000) I can see consumers flocking to this as the new status symbol trend and the headsets will fly off the shelves, lapping Meta twice.

That Apple Logo is going to change everything even if the headset is sub-par. If true I expect from April announcement to end of the year to sell about 6-8 million headsets.

*Pegatron is the assembly partner.
DigiTimes has been notoriously wrong in past years.

PSVR2 and this thing are totally two different animals. I think the VR part of the headset is more of an extra feature while Apple seems to be of more AR focus.

CobraAB

Would still sell gangbusters though. Apple can do no wrong it’s crazy.
Not everything they have come out with has been a black buster.
- Original HomePod (though they just came out with a 2nd gen version)
- iPod Hi-Fi
- Apple G4 Cube
- Apple Newton
- Apple Pippen
- Apple eMate
- Apple III

Granted, the last 4 were when Steve Jobs was not at the company.

Speaking of Jobs, its real interesting to imagine where Spple would be product wise right now if he had not gotten sick and passed away.

NickFire

I've only had Apple phones and tablets, so apologies if the question seems dumb. But do Macs let you play games bought from non-Apple marketplaces? If not, how would people get high end games that usually run off PC for an Apple VR?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They won't drop 1K, they will drop $0 down except the taxes and will pay monthly with other added costs over time just like phones.

Although there will be many people who also do drop 1k too because hype and trends.

I don’t know if the average person wants to be locked into 4-5 years of monthly payments for a VR headset, that probably won’t get a lot of use.

I also don’t think it’s going to be a big hit, unless it brings about some cool AR features that change how we live. This thing can’t just be a device to play videogames or creepy chat. They’ve got to shake up the market.

Last edited:
DigiTimes has been notoriously wrong in past years.

PSVR2 and this thing are totally two different animals. I think the VR part of the headset is more of an extra feature while Apple seems to be of more AR focus.

I didn't say anything about the PSVR2 being in the Digitimes report.

Granted, the last 4 were when Steve Jobs was not at the company.

Neither was he there for the Newton and Homepod, so only G4 Cube and Apple II which was technically not under his direction were failures under his watch directly.

I've only had Apple phones and tablets, so apologies if the question seems dumb. But do Macs let you play games bought from non-Apple marketplaces? If not, how would people get high end games that usually run off PC for an Apple VR?

Macs aren't as locked up at they were 15 years ago these days. Even has steam now.

I still wouldn't buy a Mac for gaming unless you buy it for something else and ALSO HAPPEN to decided to do gaming on it.

I don’t know if the average person wants to be locked into 4-5 years of monthly payments for a VR headset, that probably won’t get a lot of use.

It's going to be 2 years just like everything else. You are greatly misunderstanding how the carriers do things for money.

But I also don't believe it's going to be $3000 anyway.

Why the necrobump?

Ask user mckmas8808

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

It's going to be 2 years just like everything else. You are greatly misunderstanding how the carriers do things for money.

But I also don't believe it's going to be $3000 anyway.

Ask user mckmas8808
When you ask people directly why they necrobump older articles without any relevant new news it doesn't go well.

I'm hoping my general displeasure about it rubs off on other people

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Apple and gaming leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They don't go together.

No more gaming Apple, please....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When you ask people directly why they necrobump older articles without any relevant new news it doesn't go well.

I'm hoping my general displeasure about it rubs off on other people

Now is the month when production is "suppose" to happen. Plus I saw it in the "similar threads" at the bottom and was curious of others thoughts nowadays on this. I just can't see why any phone carriers would want to push this device on their monthly plans.

Top Bottom