• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: New Ghost Recon In Development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ghost Recon Breakpoint has officially received its last update, Ubisoft announced yesterday. The news comes just a few months after the publisher’s disastrous experiment with adding NFTs to the game, and, we have learned, as its Paris studio works on the next mainline entry in the Ghost Recon series, according to two sources familiar with its development.

The next Ghost Recon, codenamed OVER and originally leaked by Nvidia, has been in development for over a year and could arrive as early as fiscal year 2023, sources tell Kotaku. Instead of teasing that project as part of the series’ 20th anniversary last year, however, Ubisoft revealed development of Ghost Recon Frontline, yet another free-to-play live-service shooter deeply reminiscent of Call of Duty Warzone. Fans were less than enthusiastic, and following negative feedback from an internal playtest earlier this year, Kotaku understands the project to be undergoing a reset, and is unlikely to launch anytime soon.

elliot5

Seeing as they just stopped development this isn’t surprising. Ghost recon is too big a brand for Ubisoft to abandon or ice

BossLackey

Gold Member
Ubisoft is so insanely out of touch with what was special about Ghost Recon and all the other IPs they've destroyed that I can't think of a reason to care.

The fact that people keep giving them money is very hard for me to understand. Their games appeal to the lowest common denominator it seems. Siege is the only thing they've done in the last decade that I've cared about and now it's a full of wacky cosmetics that would be at home in Fortnite and operators pulled from a woke sci-fi YA novel.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Make it Wildlands 2 and I am 100000% on board.

Ubi, please don't fuck this up again.

PLEASE.

If you want to be encouraged take a look at this...

37db4ccd-dfa6-416f-b244-9f0052b5a58a.png

Last edited:
I can’t see this being good unless they move away from the Breakpoint/Wildlands/Assassins.. fuck it, every model they follow for their games.

I think they need to scale it back a bit and make the missions actually engaging rather than make them feel like another generic MMO style game. Breakpoint was fucking awful for this, it pushed you across the map for cutscenes at times and it just felt like a massive waste of my time.

Paasei

Wildlands was great fun. Repetitive, sure, but good fun still.

Breakpoint somehow never clicked with me. Felt like the stealth approach worked a whole lot less and I despised the fights against the robo-tanks.

chigstoke

My fav GR game was by far 2 and Summit Strike.

The tie in to Chaos Theory was great as well, would love more of this style of game.

Vargavinter

I thoroughly enjoyed Wildlands. If they can make a non fucked up Wildlands 2, I'll give those whores my money.
I never played the campaign but boy, the multiplayer was such a blast! Played with with a few friends and it was great! Loved the slow pace with more focus on tactical firefights instead of the hyperfast COD type of action.

GreatnessRD

I never played the campaign but boy, the multiplayer was such a blast! Played with with a few friends and it was great! Loved the slow pace with more focus on tactical firefights instead of the hyperfast COD type of action.
Agreed with everything you said here. Was such a treat to play with friends.

YuLY

I quite enjoyed Wildlands, wasnt a masterpiece but it was nice and if you think about it, there arent that many open world tactical games, especially third person. What comes to mind is the Far Cry series (less tactical i guess but you do have some stealthy options) and Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 which are first person.

I just hope the next one wont be always online like Breakpoint. I think anyone realises that in max 10 years that game will be unplayable once they close the servers for it. Unless they patch the online requirement, which I dont see them do, we're talking about the company that applied the crack from scene group when they put AC2 on GOG. So its basically a game on a timer, as someone who enjoys having a library that I can replay, I dont want to invest in something that will basically expire when they close the servers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People want Warfighter like game and not this huge open world type.
Warfighter flopped because people don't want linear Ghost Recon.

Wildlands sold over 10 million copies. The entire industry has gone open world because it appeals to significantly more people.

Look at how Zelda exploded when it went open world. That franchise always hovered around ~6 million lifetime sales per game release. BotW is about to surpass 30 million.

They need to capture what made Wildlands special while adding in the improved gameplay from Breakpoint. Wildlands was amazing, and their misstep with Breakpoint was bad even after all the fixes. That story and setting was trash.

EDMIX

They need to capture what made Wildlands special while adding in the improved gameplay from Breakpoint. Wildlands was amazing, and their misstep with Breakpoint was bad even after all the fixes. That story and setting was trash.

True, but that is the nature of creating.

Some times it hits, some times it doesn't. I'm sure some on here loved that setting btw, just like you loved Wildlands setting, but there is no way the team can ever make some improvement that gets all liking it or something.

I think it was good for them to change to setting to see if folks liked it, many issues with Breakpoint made it hard to match Wildlands in regards to sales, but the setting stuff will always be deeply subjective. All they can really do is continue to improve on the strong points of both titles and seeing how Breakpoint was updated, I'd say they addressed a lot of issues that people had with it.

I hope they do a completely different setting the 3rd title, but I do hope its about drug cartels lol

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes agreed 100%.

No disrespect to those who like the old Ghost Recon, but this series still exist cause Wildlands. Playing MGSV and loving the shit out of it, such a concept simply makes more sense in an open world.....we live in an open world lol So a team looking to attack, save, assassinate, capture something etc from some base will still make plans like, go from north or south, wait till night or day, the rain is coming should we go under that cover, knock out communications 1 block from the target etc.

All that shit happens in an open world and I think it makes sense to allow the player to decide those things and allow the randomness of the world to add to how that mission will be executed.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Breakpoint is actually quite good with immersive mode, of course it could have been alot better if they had designed with that intention from the beginning and didn't have to waste their post launch support fixing it. Trying to shoehorn raids and gear score into GR is straight up weird and weirder how it clashed with some survival-ish aspects they tried to put into Breakpoint. Then even crazier, they turned around after the Breakpoint failure with a GR BR game that was cancelled as soon as it was announced. There's a lot going on with both Wildlands and Breakpoint that could add up to a fantastic game, but the higher level game design at Ubisoft is completely lost.

Last edited:
True, but that is the nature of creating.

Some times it hits, some times it doesn't. I'm sure some on here loved that setting btw, just like you loved Wildlands setting, but there is no way the team can ever make some improvement that gets all liking it or something.

I think it was good for them to change to setting to see if folks liked it, many issues with Breakpoint made it hard to match Wildlands in regards to sales, but the setting stuff will always be deeply subjective. All they can really do is continue to improve on the strong points of both titles and seeing how Breakpoint was updated, I'd say they addressed a lot of issues that people had with it.

I hope they do a completely different setting the 3rd title, but I do hope its about drug cartels lol
Fans of Wildlands that sold really well didn’t want the next game to be a looter shooter where they could fight giant AI robot tanks lol. They fucked up and we all know it.

EDMIX

Fans of Wildlands that sold really well didn’t want the next game to be a looter shooter where they could fight giant AI robot tanks lol. They fucked up and we all know it.

ok...thats why I said they should take what worked in both games.

Not what didn't.

treemk

Banned
The looter shooter was dropped because they realized it wasn't working and people didn't want it and its not like you spend most or even a lot of time in breakpoint fighting unmanned stuff. Personally as a fan of the original Ghost Recon, Wildlands is way too much like a GTA spin off for me and overall I think the current version of Breakpoint is a lot better.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Wildlands was better , even the Predator was so much better than the shity terminator clone of Breakpoint...

Due to Ubisofts actual state do not have hope on a new GR.

treemk

Banned
Wildlands was better , even the Predator was so much better than the shity terminator clone of Breakpoint...

Due to Ubisofts actual state do not have hope on a new GR.
I can see why people like it better, but Breakpoint is better in a lot of ways.

-knife kills, complete oversight in Wildlands
-the map in Breakpoint is believable as a small island, the map in Wildlands is tiny for a country that should be as big as Texas
-Breakpoint has the ability to have non-regen health, injuries, rations, etc....this could be expanded on but is still alot better than Wildlands health regen
-Clearing each zone in Wildlands gets redundant quick, missions using more of the map without artificial zone boundaries is better in Breakpoint
-Breakpoint requires using the map for nav instead of GTA GPS

No reason why this stuff couldn't be in "Wildlands 2", but I also double current wokeness will allow another real world-ish take down a drug cartel or any realistic setting, and is probably part of the reason why we got such a fictional setting in Breakpoint.

The looter shooter was dropped because they realized it wasn't working and people didn't want it and its not like you spend most or even a lot of time in breakpoint fighting unmanned stuff. Personally as a fan of the original Ghost Recon, Wildlands is way too much like a GTA spin off for me and overall I think the current version of Breakpoint is a lot better.
Breakpoint is vastly improved today versus launch and they did a good job making the fixes and post launch DLC. But it doesn’t feel like Wildlands and that’s a big problem.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Breakpoint is a much better game technically. . .it just feels worse somehow than Wildlands and a lot of that is due to the island being nowhere near as fun as Wildlands to drive around in. I can see the "GTA clone" complaints against WL's world, but it just felt a lot better to be in. BP is just sooooooooooo serious.

. . .other than that BP absolutely takes a dump all over WL in every other area. The class system with the challenges tied to them were so fun. But yeah, just the world itself was far less interesting than WL. Hopefully if they do another one, we get back to what made WL so fun(Santa Blanca, no robots), combined with what worked in BP (classes, awesome gun action).

I didn't pick up breakpoint, but the multiplayer in wildlands was absolutely fantastic imo. I thought it was insanely fun and quite refreshing. Looking forward to the next release.

I didn't pick up breakpoint, but the multiplayer in wildlands was absolutely fantastic imo. I thought it was insanely fun and quite refreshing. Looking forward to the next release.
BP is worth buying on sale. It’s not at good as Wildlands but the DLC is lit and it’s still fun just try not to compare it to Wildlands.

Top Bottom