• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is "potentially porting" the Silent Hill series to current-gen consoles

Draugoth

Gold Member
heather-sh3.jpeg

Konami is reportedly "potentially porting" the Silent Hill series to contemporary consoles.

That's according to one of five short documentaries Konami published on YouTube the night it shadow-dropped The Short Message.

In the fourth video, a level designer who worked on the highly-anticipated (and long rumoured) playable teaser revealed that Konami had originally reached out to the team at Hexadrive – a studio that had primarily worked on porting older games until it helped an internal Konami team develop The Short Message – "about potentially porting the Silent Hill series".

Via Eurogamer

nial

Gold Member
Hopefully good and for PS4. There needs to be something Silent Hill for the console before it's done for good.
You now remember Silent Hills.

As bad as the HD Collection was I would welcome a port to modern platforms despite all the flaws. I would prefer to just have a MGS Master Collection of sorts but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't buy HD Collection for PS5.

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and even a bad port is still a better game then the vast majority of new releases.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As bad as the HD Collection was I would welcome a port to modern platforms despite all the flaws. I would prefer to just have a MGS Master Collection of sorts but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't buy HD Collection for PS5.

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and even a bad port is still a better game then the vast majority of new releases.
I mean to be fair based on the MGS Master Collection they may actually fix the problems with the HD Collection, but I wouldn't expect it to be over 720p though, unless they actually fix that with MGS Master Collection first.

Last edited:
If you check out HexaDrive's history, they have some pretty good credits on their belt.

I really don't have much doubt that HEXADRIVE would do a good or even great job at it.

The problem here is Konami. They are like a amateur cook that looks at a chef making a beautiful chocolate pie, and goes "Hey man, you said 40 minutes in the oven. How about I take it off at 20 minutes? We could maybe add some bacon to this pie as well. Also let me call my neighbor Jommy Bob Carson to come and maybe help you out with the other stuff!"

But the amateur cook is actually the boss here. Not the chef.

And none of this is far fetched, they have fucked up releases before. Many times.

So even if HexaDrive does a good job, Konami will somehow smear some shit on it.

I would love to be proven wrong by them, but I don't think I will.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As long as it's emulation or good ports.. and not that HD collection abomination.
Even MGS master collection is amazing comapared to SH hd collection...

Audiophile

Gold Member
What Konami should have done:

Stage 1a // Get a competent team to develop/port standard but faithful, high quality remasters of Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Silent Hill: Origins & Silent Hill: Homecoming. Sell them ffor a reasonable price on PS4, PS5, X1, XS, Switch & PC.

Stage 1b // Get a competent team to develop/port standard but faithful, high quality remasters of MG1+2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 & MGR:R. Sell them for a reasonable price on PS4, PS5, X1, XS, Switch & PC.

Stage 2a // Contract a competent studio to develop tonally faithful, high quality modern remakes of the first four Silent Hill games in chronological order (from 1 through 4) for PS5, XS & PC.

Stage 2b // Contract PlayStation studios such as Bluepoint to develop tonally faithful, high quality modern remakes of MGS, MGS2 & MGS3 for PS5 & PC.

Stage 3 // Get a competent team to develop/port standard but faithful, high quality remasters of the portable Metal Gear & Silent Hill titles for Switch.

This is neither rocket surgery nor brain science.

Then take the dough and work from there.. build some bridges then build a couple ~80-strong studios led by a mix of og and fresh talent. One for new IP and another for new Silent Hill games. Expand into Castlevania and smaller owned IP if successful.

I would've said license the Metal Gear IP to Sony for future games and co-fund a new studio with them where Kojima & co could consult, but with PHYSINT being a "Tactical Espionage" game I doubt Sony or Kojima would be interested at this point. I think MGS is dead as far as new games go and the ship has sailed.

Last edited:

night13x

this makes a lot of sense. they did an arcade classic, contra classics, and 2 castlevania classics collection. Looks to me they may want to do a silent hills classic collection and it will sell well.

squarealex

This is Konami, don't expect Perfect port. Expect the worse...

First, big chances Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 is the HD Collection with the horrible dub. Like MGS2/MGS3 is the HD Collection in the Legacy Collection
Second, like MGS1, they maybe be porting SIlent Hill 1 in pur RAW, same as Legacy Collection for MGS1.
and for Silent Hill 4, I dunno, I expected the PC Version with the 15fps cinematic and shit shadow.
PSP Version for Silent Hill: Origins / Shattered Memories and PC buggy for Homecoming.

can forget Downpour and the other Vita shit game

But if is really Hexadrive porting all the Silent Hill. So, thanks god... but Silent Hill is a problematic IP of Konami and fee of his actors.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 swap dub actors for this reason. And original Silent Hill 3 PC missing all the quote line from Silent Hill 1 form some reason.
So, even if hexadrive save the technical issue, can't enjoyed without the original dub.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ah yes. I’m sure they’ll spend absolutely the right amount of money to do this properly, and won’t half ass it on the cheap end, just to maximise whatever profit they can get from idiots who pre-order.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I would be in if they put Silent Hill 3 on, it is my curse, it is for me one of the best in the series, but I have never finished it for external reasons.

It's time to start again and finish it.

bender

What time is it?
The MGS ports are okay'ish and okay'ish would be one of the better ways of obtaining and playing SH1-4 without hooking up retro consoles and using an upscaling device.

Top Bottom