• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is in talks with Xbox to publish his next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysius

Banned
I loved Death Stranding, so I'm excited to see what he does next. He got some pretty great actors to do some awesome acting the in the cutscenes, this guy has a vision and he has great friends to help him pull it off.

I enjoyed the chill vibe of it, I also am a fan of Mud Runner too though.

graywolf323

Dude do you ever or even play games?
I see you in every thread shittig on this "Mr. JImbo.."...LOL
honestly most of the vocal fanboys here (and Reddit and other places) probably spend more time beating their drums on the forums than actually playing anything :messenger_squinting_tongue:

just ignore the trolls even if there are a lot of them with the start of a new console gen

DrAspirino

Banned
if it was truly "cloud focused" it would need a whole rework tho. that is if it actually used the cloud in some interesting way of course, because xCloud is not a cloud exclusive service, it is a service to play Xbox games that are also on console
Maybe Kojima approached Microsoft because of this:

driqe

H445IE7.jpg

xsk2pY9.jpg

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm yet to like one game made by him as far as I'm aware but I'm always interested to see what weird things he comes up with.

K' Dash

I'm yet to like one game made by him as far as I'm aware but I'm always interested to see what weird things he comes up with.

Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater are masterpieces, after those games Kojima earned eternal respect from me.

I loved DS, I feel like a second game could be the Assassin's Creed 2 of the IP.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't cared about a Kojima game since 1998 MGS which is an all time classic but disliked MGS 2 and was done there as his games aren't for me but if Microsoft can get Kojima to a multi-game exclusive deal for Xbox/PC would be huge for the Xbox brand and shows their commitment to investing their brand in Japan. If Microsoft can get this done, it would be a great move for them and the Xbox brand.

rob305

The game was bad. Period.

The game had obsolete mechanics, it was a walking simulator, had a story full of clichés and plot-holes (for a supposedly story-driven game), no original or memorable soundtrack, and zero replayability.

The development of Death Stranding was all over the place and even Kojima's parter in founding the studio was sick of it. If anything, it gave birth to some hilariously bad parody games.
You can argue about gameplay and the story all you want, but saying it had no original or memorable soundtrack tells us you didnt play it (or at least not for long).

The game had one of the best soundtracks of the generation...hearing that low roar song after going through the forest and descending the hill into Lake Knot City was one of the most memorable moments this generation on par with the giraffes from TLOU. Those who played death stranding know exactly what im talking about

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So basically like the PC market then.
I guess so, physical disk basically non existence, thats the reason why I game on my PS5 instead of my gaming PC except for minecraft, bethesda games, any survival games...

ManaByte

Gold Member
I guess so, physical disk basically non existence, thats the reason why I game on my PS5 instead of my gaming PC except for minecraft, bethesda games, any survival games...
I really think this is the last generation both consoles ship with disc drives.

>new Kojima game to release on PlayStation platforms (and subsequently other platforms like PC & Xbox)
>gamers celebrate and anticipate the new game.
>new Kojima game rumored to release on Xbox platforms ( even though some previous titles were also released on Xbox platforms, so it's not exactly unprecedented)
>discourse immediately gets dominated by console wars bullshit, talks of salt, "another one" gifs, posters question the value of owning a PS5 , concern trolling etc.

Kojima has never been married to a single platform. The majority of his games have been multi-platform for years.
He's also made games for specific platforms before. Did you guys just forget Twin Snakes on Gamecube? Or even Boktai, a game specially designed for the GBA with its very own proprietary sunlight sensor add-on.

A business deal is a business deal. If a deal gets made with Microsoft and Kojima, and that deal involves a game staying with Microsoft and the Xbox Game Pass eco-system, that's what it will end up being.

The notion that Kojima's titles have never been exclusive is laughable on its face. The first Metal Gear Solid released on PS1 in 1998 and remained the only place to play that game, to my knowledge, till about 2004 when it finally got a remake on the GameCube. MGS2, I think, had a quicker 1 year turnaround on the original Xbox, but then Metal Gear 3 released on PS2 in 2004, and I believe took a whopping 7 years to make it onto a non-playstation platform. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is still exclusive to playstation. Either way the games industry has changed quite a bit. If the money and the deal is right, anything is possible.

MLB The Show 21 showing up on Game Pass day one should be evidence enough of that. Outriders, a major 3rd party exclusive from Square Enix, also day one on Game Pass should be more evidence of how times have changed. And I'm pretty damn confident every single person on this forum would have dismissed any idea that Microsoft would outright buy a major publisher like Bethesda by buying their whole parent company for $7.5 billion. Anything is possible nowadays. Hell, expect different publishers to potentially start collaborating with one another on specific major releases depending on whether or not a third party is willing to cover the development costs. You never know in today's industry.

While I believe Kojima games should also come to Ps5 as I don't want to get a Series X; I am really glad if this is true. There is a huge fire needed under sony's posterior so it gets up and does something good instead of disbanding studios and firing people!

darthpaxton

Neo Member
if it was truly "cloud focused" it would need a whole rework tho. that is if it actually used the cloud in some interesting way of course, because xCloud is not a cloud exclusive service, it is a service to play Xbox games that are also on console
Yeah, Microsoft is notorious for not having technical capabilities compared to other companies.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I really think this is the last generation both consoles ship with disc drives.
I personally still think Sony will follow the traditional way for a while, Microsoft on the other hand probably not.

Chessmate

Banned
I'm starting to wonder...does Phil really wake up and think about "how can I ruin Bo Hamez' day" first thing in the morning? 🤔 Anyway, this steady stream of good news for Xbox has become a reliable source of endorphines in these difficult times. Thanks, Phil. Your work makes the world a better place for a minority of gamers. Can't imagine the daily grief and pain Jim Ryans decisions spread around the world. Let's all take a moment and pray for team blue. 🙏

You can argue about gameplay and the story all you want, but saying it had no original or memorable soundtrack tells us you didnt play it (or at least not for long).

The game had one of the best soundtracks of the generation...hearing that low roar song after going through the forest and descending the hill into Lake Knot City was one of the most memorable moments this generation on par with the giraffes from TLOU. Those who played death stranding know exactly what im talking about
What giraffes? Lol if I have to ask it means it wasn't memorable at all.

Withnail

Microsoft is not fucking around this gen, they really flexing that cash.

What do you mean? I don't see how this would be any different to publishing deals they've done with independent devs in the past, thinking about things like Gears of War, Forza Horizon, Scalebound, Crackdown, Quantum Break, etc.

longdi

Banned

ya i don't understand the DS brush off. sure kojima could have added more enemies type encounters with QTE movies scenarios, but that's makes the game anotherone.gif.

besides kojipro is a small team and they creativity went against spending resources on enemies, and concentrate on traverse and inventory management collectaton.

other than AI fights, the rest of DS is superb!

supernova8

Banned

He's got a Switch on his shelf but it doesn't mean they are working closely with Nintendo.

Would kinda be a slap in Sony's face if he goes off and works with Xbox though. Don't forget that they helped him back on his feet and (apparently?) gave him access to the Decima engine for free. Besides, considering that Sony let him create the absolute weird-fest that is Death Stranding, I wonder why he would want to work with Xbox? I guess it could be Herman Hulst is cracking down on dodgy projects and Kojima doesn't feel he has as much creative freedom as he did a few years back... or they're purely saying something like "whatever Sony is paying you, we'll pay you double".

I suppose if they're money-hatting Kojima then cool as long as he keeps making his weird and wacky shit. I don't really like his newer weird and wacky shit but it has a place!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He's got a Switch on his shelf but it doesn't mean they are working closely with Nintendo.

Would kinda be a slap in Sony's face if he goes off and works with Xbox though. Don't forget that they helped him back on his feet and (apparently?) gave him access to the Decima engine for free. Besides, considering that Sony let him create the absolute weird-fest that is Death Stranding, I wonder why he would want to work with Xbox? I guess it could be Herman Hulst is cracking down on dodgy projects and Kojima doesn't feel he has as much creative freedom as he did a few years back... or they're purely saying something like "whatever Sony is paying you, we'll pay you double".

I suppose if they're money-hatting Kojima then cool as long as he keeps making his weird and wacky shit. I don't really like his newer weird and wacky shit but it has a place!
Husky is the one that gave him the engine, the one that lent Guerrilla Games devs to work on Death Stranding and helped Kojima setup an office next door to them in Amsterdam. He seemed to have pulled al the stops to get in Kojima’s good graces very early on.

Cyborg

Big get voor MS if this turns out to be true and yet last good game Kojima made was MGS3. While I love the man I think he makes just to crazy (over the top) games for my taste.

Zoro7

Banned
With his last game being absolute crap. I couldn’t care less.
New game will probably be a sleep simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom