• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Key Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Crazy incident.

Longer video shows the ship appears to have lost power twice before hitting the bridge.

It looks like there's a lot of traffic before and then the traffic pretty much stops before impact, perhaps they managed to block access to the bridge in time?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Cargo ships are huge. People dont realize just how big these things are.

ZR5801BLTZKNKK8Y9CVM.jpg
6CSd6p2.jpg

A little scale for people thinking this could be engineered around…nah

JayK47

Curious as to what happened. But knowing what is going on in other transportation industries, I have a few guesses.

The engineered solution is to put a barrier around the piers that can absorb and stop a ship of this size. Or no longer allow ships that size near bridges.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That was so crazy to see I hope they’re able to find everyone missing and they are found alive.

I don’t know anything about how things run, is it normal for cargo ships to pass under the bridge. or was the cargo ship completely off course and not supposed to be anywhere near it?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Curious as to what happened. But knowing what is going on in other transportation industries, I have a few guesses.

The engineered solution is to put a barrier around the piers that can absorb and stop a ship of this size. Or no longer allow ships that size near bridges.
First part would require probably a solid island of concrete TENS of meters thick and even then a full sized container ship at speed might just flow right over it and hit the bridge anyway. The latter would cripple world trade as we know it as the reason you can get a PS5 for $500 and not $2000 is partly because this kind of shipping is so extraordinarily cheap.

The bridge was built ~50 years ago for a cost of 66 million. I suspect replacing it now (if they even try) is gonna cost 100x that amount.

I'm curious just how many ships that size rely on continuous electric power and if manual redundancies were inadequate in this case or not present all together because there isn't enough crew for them anyway.

near

Gold Member
I feel like a bridge should be designed to withstand that kind of impact, no? The whole thing came down so fast like a house of cards.
The total load on that bridge should in principle be evenly distributed amongst its piers, if one fails then load must be carried by the remaining piers. But just by looking at the way this bridge is designed the middle two piers seem to be carrying the most load, so when one of them went, the reaction forces were too great for the remaining piers to carry. I don't think there is a pier in the world that would sustain impact damage like that without critical elements failing.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
The total load on that bridge should in principle be evenly distributed amongst its piers, if one fails then load must be carried by the remaining piers. But just by looking at the way this bridge is designed the middle two piers seem to be carrying the most load, so when one of them went, the reaction forces were too great for the remaining piers to carry. I don't think there is a pier in the world that would sustain impact damage like that without critical elements failing.
A bridge like that is designed to resist vertical loads and horizontal loads corresponding to the usual currents and winds. No one would design a bridge to resist a lateral hit from a cargo ship of that size.

Mr1999

I feel like a bridge should be designed to withstand that kind of impact, no? The whole thing came down so fast like a house of cards.
It stood there for almost 50 years. Pictures show the pillars being hollow concrete but It does look like it had steel reinforcing. I wonder how thick of a pilar would be needed to prevent the collapse.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
A bridge like that is designed to resist vertical loads and horizontal loads corresponding to the usual currents and winds. No one would design a bridge to resist a lateral hit from a cargo ship of that size.
It doesn't help that it is also a truss bridge with large spans between piers either.

I don’t disagree that we should spend more on building things than destroying them, but you’re not going to infrastructure your way out of a cargo ship bullseying the support like that
You’re absolutely correct. I just wonder if there is some sort of safeguards we Could put in front of sensitive areas on bridges or other infrastructure.

Ecotic

In the weeks and months ahead, I wonder how they'll remove the debris out of the river. CNN had a structural engineer on earlier, and he said it would take longer to clean the wreckage than to rebuild a new bridge, although he didn't go into detail.

NickFire

In the weeks and months ahead, I wonder how they'll remove the debris out of the river. CNN had a structural engineer on earlier, and he said it would take longer to clean the wreckage than to rebuild a new bridge, although he didn't go into detail.
That's an interesting comment. Sounds weird to me but I certainly can't say isn't true. They will probably need to document every step of the clean up for investigative purposes. Start slowly because they will be trying to recover lost souls, and go about the clean up in a manner respectful to those they haven't been able to find. And on top of that its mostly underwater, and that definitely adds complexity. He might be right.

First part would require probably a solid island of concrete TENS of meters thick and even then a full sized container ship at speed might just flow right over it and hit the bridge anyway. The latter would cripple world trade as we know it as the reason you can get a PS5 for $500 and not $2000 is partly because this kind of shipping is so extraordinarily cheap.

The bridge was built ~50 years ago for a cost of 66 million. I suspect replacing it now (if they even try) is gonna cost 100x that amount.

I'm curious just how many ships that size rely on continuous electric power and if manual redundancies were inadequate in this case or not present all together because there isn't enough crew for them anyway.

A ship is not going to speed right through a concrete pier. You can clearly see the concrete pier survived the accident just fine:

Nydius

That this is the extent of the potential loss of life is pretty much the only silver lining from this entire tragedy.

I had family in Baltimore City and County and traversed this bridge often thoughout my childhood and young adulthood. From morning to night, the bridge was heavily traveled as it was one of a few ways into the city, and a major thoroughfare to get to the Dundalk Marine Terminal, marinas around Essex, and the Port of Baltimore. It's also the most direct route for tourists to get to Fort McHenry. If this had happened later in the day, the death toll would have been catastrophic.

badblue

Depends on the bridge type. This truss bridge is a particularly vulnerable one, according to news outlets.

Any bridge with supports going into the water are going to be vulnerable to this to various extents.

I'm not great at the math. Ship was moving at an estimated 8 knots when it hit the bridge and weighted approximately 117,000 tons.

Punching all that into an online calculator gives me 468,000,000 Newtons of force. I don't think any bridge is engineered to take a structural hit like that.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've driven that bridge so many times in my travels through the Baltimore area. It's crazy watching those videos. The bridge collapsed so fast.

the trajectory of the ship is quite unfortunate, looks almost like they intentionally steered into the support, but I'm thinking they dropped anchor and it swung the ship that way.

aXXL8hH.gif
My feeling is the harbour pilots fucked up. The government is going to pay for the bridge to avoid an independent investigation, so they probably are guilty in some way. I would bet they chose the pilots because they met the diversity criteria instead of by merit. And that's why we don't know who the harbour pilots are.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

My feeling is the harbour pilots fucked up. The government is going to pay for the bridge to avoid an independent investigation, so they probably are guilty in some way. I would bet they chose the pilots because they met the diversity criteria instead of by merit. And that's why we don't know who the harbour pilots are.

Ya curious about the pilot if it was a Harbor specific pilot. But there are also these underwater channels and the inflow connected to the CSX coal pier that could have caused the ship to list. We'll see what more will come out after the investigation.

2300-baltimoremap.jpg

Last edited:

dave_d

Not everything has to be about culture war my man, the ship is shown to be cutting power multiple times and an SOS was sent out.
I'm just wondering if it's going to be like the Exxon Valdez where they found a scapegoat that everyone blames to this day and you couldn't find out what really happened for years.

The ship lost power twice. No power = no rudder, so basically the ship was drifting towards the pylon.

It's too early to speculate and assign blame. That being said, it's surprising that there are no barriers in place surrounding the pylons of the bridge. They would've at least helped absorb some of the impact.

Top Bottom