• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge Of Spirits Broke Even A Month After Launch, Developer Working On Next Project

Kena: Bridge of Spirits broke even a month after its launch, and developer Ember Lab is currently working on its next project, which may not even be a game.

Speaking in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Ember Lab co-founders Josh and Michael Grier talked about their efforts in leveraging their background in film, VFX, and producing brand mascots and applying it to the studio’s debut game. They revealed that Kena: Bridge of Spirits had broke even a month after its release.
kena-bridge-of-spirits.jpg

The Kena: Bridge of Spirits developer discussed how the final version of the game was a lot bigger in scope than the original vision. The duo referred to themselves as aging gamers, who have less time to play things. Therefore, things that are more approachable from a scope perspective are always more appealing to them. They mentioned that they will try to do something a little bit more ambitious moving forward, but they’re still trying to be conscious of making something that’s digestible and something that they will want to play as gamers right now in their current, busier phase of life.
The Ember Lab co-founders hinted that their next project may not be an actual game. They stated that they’re filmmakers by trade, and, as such, they like to look at linear media. They hinted at the possibility of something like Kena exploring the universe in different mediums outside of the interactive ones.

ssringo

It took Epic's exclusivity payout and a month of sales to break even? That sounds kinda rough. Or was the payout used for development and the month of sales also covered that. Which would be substantially better.

Congrats either way.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm playing it right now on PS5 and...it's actually a really nice game? (minus a couple bugs/camera problems).

I suppose this is from indie devs ? If so, they've really done a great job, the graphics, music, exploration - even the haptics - are all really nicely done.

Looking forward to what they do next

Last edited:

Alebrije

So ne game was profitable, the broke stuff confuses a lot id you are no english speaker/native.

By the way , the game is very good , has one of the hardests platinum throphy

Yes! Give me a sequel! They just need to refine the game and make it more of an equal difficulty through. The difficulty spikes with the boss fights were insane. I don't want them to make it easier, just let people know what's coming a little bit more. The ending was a real tear jerker.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Really good title. I played it as part of PS Extra. I would have bought it but I had a backlog of games. Such a blast. The music was so good.

I believe the composer may have worked on some old Zelda game previously.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Isn't most of total sales of these kinds of games happening in the first month? Really does sound kinda bad. If it had done really well I guess they would make a game again, them being vague on even that bit of information tells me that it underperformed.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Please make more of a game out of it this time. I'm all for the PS2 action platformer revival but it wasn't enough. A giant shame, because visually it's maybe in my top 10 ever.

I wonder if they are making a game next. They didn’t seem certain last I heard. They should definitely be on Sony’s radar if they are.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It looked fun when my wife played it but it didn't really engage me when I tried it out. All the same, I need to revisit it. It's a quality title for sure and I'm definitely interested to see what they end up doing. Kena is a really charming character.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So ne game was profitable, the broke stuff confuses a lot id you are no english speaker/native.

By the way , the game is very good , has one of the hardests platinum throphy
Yea, in english "breaking even" is a phrase that means that you've earned back the money you spent and are about to make a profit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought it was a pretty mediocre and uninteresting game, but it's good that they were able to find success with it.

Good, I’m glad they found success. I loved this game through and through , and was surprised (and delighted) by the challenge of it.

Would love a sequel someday. Was more fun than all the recent Zelda games put together.

On PS5 it also looked better than many CGI shows. Incredible visuals.

Last edited:
It was good. Little on the plain side as far as mechanics go, from what I recall, but it was very well animated. Looking forward to what Ember Labs does next.

drotahorror

I would assume Epic sales contributed next to nothing. PS5 players were probably hungry though. If I recall it was a $40-$50 title as well.

Looks like it did pretty well on Steam after the exclusivity period. Shame.

As a native speaker, I had to read the title multiple times to understand WTF op was saying.

Should honestly have quotes (i.e. "broke even").

It's the exact headline of the linked article... I didn't editorialize it.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Broke even from the checks they collected from Sony and Epic?

Or broke even from sales? Hopefully the latter because it was a decent game once you’ve unlocked more of the combat moves.

Pelta88

I can't wait to see what they come up with next. The game is stunning and the combat was surprisingly in depth.

Filben

It's the exact headline of the linked article... I didn't editorialize it.

It's not on you, just the way outlets use headlines and the way English language works, in this case word compounds (to break even) not looking different than two separate words with separate meaning ('something broke, even though...' )

Another popular thing is the use of omitted relative pronouns (which isn't possible in my language) that makes it sometimes difficult to grasp in one reading, for example:
"Ancient DNA-researcher fired for serious misconduct lands new role" (the first word alone is ambiguous in my language because we'd say Ancient-DNA-reseracher so you won't think the guy is ancient... like 100 years old)

My mind won't read the sub clause as such but instead reads "serious misconduct lands" as one phrase or group, with 'lands' being a noun rather than a verb. It doesn't make any sense at first, until you realise it's "researcher, who was fired for something, gets a new job". Every sub or relative clause is usually separated with comma in my language but is often optional in English.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just wanted to mention that I revisited the game for about two hours this afternoon.

Really enjoying it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it didn't quite grab me at launch but now it is. One of the reasons I rarely write off a game unless it is truly shite, sometimes games don't click at first and you just gotta come back and revisit.

Played PS5 version in fidelity mode. :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:
Top Bottom