• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keanu Reeves Has Been Wearing the Same Outfit for 25 Years

Link.

10_2017_KeanuReeves_Style_16x9.jpg

At Comic Con in New York City last week, Keanu Reeves was on hand to drum up excitement about his new flick Replicas and, we assume, answer a lot of John Wick-related questions. And he did it all wearing the same outfit he's worn for the better part of the last two decades.

Reeves' personal style, not to mention Reeves himself, is especially relevant in 2017 thanks to a massive upswing in fashion world appreciation for all things '90s. For the rest of the world, that's meant guys getting excited about riffs on that era's menswear staples (see: anything from Vêtements, stonewashed jeans, graphic patterned merch!). For Reeves it's meant sticking with his uniform: relaxed tailoring worn with a black T-shirt and brown boots. He's worn the same look on countless red carpets, on late night TV interviews, through airports, walking around city streets, sitting on benches while looking sad, all with the same just-rolled-out-of-bed effortlessness that makes the look appealing as opposed to just sloppy. The man owns other clothes—jeans for example, a tan suit from last year, the suede trucker jacket he wore to the premiere of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure—but the vast majority of his closet is just variations of this one outfit. And despite the fit of it barely changing for decades it still looks damn good.

The takeaway from Reeves' commitment to a single 'fit is that the actor found something he loved wearing and then just stuck with it. It's a strategy we respect and one that you don't have to be famous in any way to pull off. The Keanu sweet spot is, after all, somewhere between dirt bike and movie premiere attire. A relaxed fit suit and tee can easily transition from casual to casual Friday, so find tailoring that feels good (not too tight, not too loose) and then buy your go-to T-shirt in bulk. A beat up pair of chukkas, like Keanu's, serve to toughen up an otherwise simple set of basics. The secret to successful repeat dressing is the knowledge that nobody is actually going to call you out (except us, but that's our job). If you feel good, you'll look better every time. And Reeves' decades long outfit run is some pretty convincing proof that wearing the same thing everyday (as long as it's clean) can definitely look just as cool as any current trend. That or, if you just wait long enough, the very thing you're wearing will come back around as menswear's must-have trend.

Some older pics at the link.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
To be fair, considering Keanu's lifespan fashions must seemingly change so quickly that it's not worth changing much.

killroy87

the man looks EXACTLY THE SAME!

It's insanity!

Also, that's a smart, timeless outfit. I'm personally not a v-neck guy, but the outfit always looks good.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Man to be Reeves and to have seen numerous Trump types through the centuries. I can imagine him relaxing in a Roman bath house, as the discussion and general gossip of the day would be around how idiotic Emperor Caligula was. Must be deja vu for him eh?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You know I always thought keanu has been rocking the beard only the last couple years or so but he's actually been publically showing them for way longer than I thought

killroy87

Wait, the thread implies that the included pic are three pics of Keanu taken over 25 years. That's definitely not the case.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hold up

1. what's he wearing in that meme where he's at the bench contemplating life?

2. what's he wearing in that meme where he turns water into wine?

“Ellie said, "Isn't it a little warm for black?"

You're extremely pretty, Dr. Sattler," he said. "I could look at your legs all day. But no, as a matter of fact, black is an excellent color for heat. If you remember your black-body radiation, black is actually best in heat. Efficient radiation. In any case, I wear only two colors, black and gray."

Ellie was staring at him, her mouth open. "These colors are appropriate for any occasion," Malcolm continued, and they go well together, should I mistakenly put on a pair of gray socks with my black trousers."

But don't you find it boring to wear only two colors?"

Not at all. I find it liberating. I believe my life has value, and I don't want to waste it thinking about clothing," Malcolm said. "I don't want to think about what I will wear in the morning. Truly, can you imagine anything more boring than fashion? Professional sports, perhaps. Grown men swatting little balls, while the rest of the world pays money to applaud. But, on the whole, I find fashion even more tedious than sports."

Dr. Malcolm," Hammond explained, "is a man of strong opinions."

And mad as a hatter," Malcolm said cheerfully. "But you must admit, these are nontrivial issues. We live in a world of frightful givens. It is given that you will behave like this, given that you will care about that. No one thinks about the givens. Isn't it amazing? In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought.”

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love that he has a fancy awards version of the outfit.

Another famous American citizen once wore the same clothes every day. His name?

ALBERT EINSTEIN also Seth Brundle.

holygeesus

Banned
The guy is a breath of fresh air for me in that he just does whatever the hell he wants, slinks away from publicity as much as possible and is just living his life how he sees fit. Good on him.

DemWalls

Untitled-2.jpg

Damn, almost.

Anyway, I love Keanu. Generally, I find the whole concept of milkshake duck rather stupid, as there's basically no one, famous or not, that I revere. But I think Keanu getting 'milkshaked' would be the one and only case in which I'd feel at least something.

But you know, I think Trump suddenly becoming a human rights activist is a more likely occurrence.

Oppo

this is sort of how I like to pick my clothes. if you can't tell what year it's from, it's timeless.

Top Bottom