• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just ranting about Metroid stupid "tension" mechanic

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hello.

First, this is just a rant thread but I also want to know what people think, maybe it's only me btw.

I've playing Metroid Fusion for the first time on a second hand 3DS I got with it installed and been through, if not for only this, one of the best games I've played from Nintendo in a while (haven't played anything from Switch yet, I'm about to get one too).

The thing is... WHO IN THE HELL THOUGHT THAT NOT LETTING PLAYERS SAVE BEFORE A BOSS FIGHT IS A GOOS "MECHANIC"?

Godammit!

Not only it doesn't let you save before a boss fight, but there's usually like 1-5 minutes way padded with enemies before the fight, not to mention that is will NOT let you save right after the boss fight neither so chances are that a random enemy you didn't catch getting out of the boss room will kill you, having you go back all the way and killing the boss again with all it involves.

Apart from that, bosses are difficult. I love that. Heck, I'd really enjoy learning how to fight them if it wasn't for that really REALLY stupid decision that doesn't even give me chance to, like, dude, I don't play games to feel frustrated and bosses alone are more than enough to put me on tension, just let me save right before the boss fight and do it as difficult as you want.

Apart from that, the last segment is... WTF? Two boss fights (one being the 2nd hardest boss of all the game), time limit, 1 min walk before the first fight and not letting save in any moment?

The only Metroid game I played was Super Metroid like... 10 or so years ago in Wii VC and loved it, and don't remember it feeling so absurdly unfair and time waister.

Is this normal for all Metroid Prime games too? I really wanted to get into them whenever an HD Trilogy comes out but if this is how it is, I'll just pass, the only reason I didn't left Fusion was because I was like 80% of the game when I got done with that shit and don't like leaving stuff incomplete.

BTW... This is just a rant thread as I told you, hope you guys share your rant too if you feel like so.

Have a good night.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is agonizing. It’s worth keeping a cooler head to enjoy what is a fantastic game, but yeah, boss battles in earlier Metroid games seem to be the opposite of fun.

They just feel so... cheap. There’s so much damage that you feel like you can’t avoid, so many obnoxious movements and actions (count the amount of Metroid bosses that knock you off of essential platforms into spikes/lava/environmental hazards), and so much required pattern recognition over multiple plays of the battle. Of course, the issue you mentioned with a save point being five miles away, simply exacerbates it.

Tbh, I’d call it flat out poor-atrocious design.

But then the game picks up again after, and it’s all serene, amazing, top-tier gameplay again.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Metroid Prime bosses are much more fun, btw. Can be a bit of a war of attrition with just how much it takes to bring them down, and the insane number of shots, but I really enjoyed them, for what it’s worth. More like Zelda, with puzzles and clever things baked into the fight.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is agonizing. It’s worth keeping a cooler head to enjoy what is a fantastic game, but yeah, boss battles in earlier Metroid games seem to be the opposite of fun.

They just feel so... cheap. There’s so much damage that you feel like you can’t avoid, so many obnoxious movements and actions (count the amount of Metroid bosses that knock you off of essential platforms into spikes/lava/environmental hazards), and so much required pattern recognition over multiple plays of the battle. Of course, the issue you mentioned with a save point being five miles away, simply exacerbates it.

Tbh, I’d call it flat out poor-atrocious design.

But then the game picks up again after, and it’s all serene, amazing, top-tier gameplay again.

This is what amazes me, it's like this games has some of the best design decisions ever and then one of the worst too... can't imagine anxious people trying to give it a go...

Metroid Prime bosses are much more fun, btw. Can be a bit of a war of attrition with just how much it takes to bring them down, and the insane number of shots, but I really enjoyed them, for what it’s worth. More like Zelda, with puzzles and clever things baked into the fight.

Thanks god, and thank you for letting me know!

You want frustration? Just try the original.

Actually, when I saw the original in magazines as a teenager, I thought they looked painfully difficult for some reason LMAO.

Airola

You want frustration? Just try the original.

Yeah the OP talking about some 3DS game and telling that's some frustratingly difficult shit shows he hasn't yet experienced the original. I'd love to see his reaction to Tourian in the original Metroid.

Not only there's no possibility to save before the boss, but the enemies in the last few corridors drain your life really quickly and you cannot let them touch you, and if you die your life and missiles are back to minimum.

The sense of dread in that game is unmatched.

Last edited:
I beat the game 3 times (includingunder 2 hours) and I think there are only 3, maybe 4 boss battles that are frustrating (ironically the second last boss is not hard as they can be exploited), I think one of them has a far away save but the rest are not too bad.

This is a case of "Git Gud" from me. The game mostly rewards you health for beating down foes regularly. The Viruses after the Boss battle can net you health if you hit it the unconventional way.

And yeah, can't be bothered with OG Metroid so I play Zero Mission instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom