• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Finished the First Life is Strange and its Prequel [Massive Spoilers]

Fahdis

So those of you who finished the first one...

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO SAVE CHLOE OVER THE TOWN?

And yet 52% of people did just that? WTF!?

She is the worst Friend anyone can EVER ask for. The game would just make me save her over and over. I wish I took one of David's gun's and finished her off myself. Or threw her in the Tornado after pushing her off the cliff. Or I wish she was in the chair where Jefferson did his shit and left her there for his liking. I did get my wish at the end though. Fuck Max for being such a low tier Empath. Chloe was that fucking annoying! And no amount of childhood bestfriend bullshit is going to save this.

And then just because I was curious about Rachel, I played BTS. This game was even more torture with Chloe. Like how many bad decisions can you make? Yea, ok she was a delinquent but having to rub 2 braincells to actually think stupid?

Rant over.

nikolino840

Max Is guilty too...She abandoned her first not calling,not answering to the messages ,If i Remember correctly ...

I have saved the Town because was the more logical thing to do ... But don't tell me you don't have at least a Little cry when max Is hidden in the bathroom when Chloe Is dying ........

Have you saved the girl on rooftop of the school?

ksdixon

BTS was shit. And tried painting Rach as too innocent, considering what we learned of her in LIS1. Cheating on frank with chloe and getting involved in all the rest, running away with that person and nuts to both frank and chloe I guess lmao.

ikbalCO

I mean i saved chloe and i dont think she is as bad as you mentioned.

Pretty much every decision i made during my playthrough led me to choose chloe over town, since i didnt care about the other people in town as musch as i cared for chloe.

I do not remember the minute details but i also believe the developers want you to save chloe because max' parents are not in town. I always thought that was the way they wanted to make saving chloe decision easier because like, parents dont usually send their 16 year olds to study cross state, alone.

So those of you who finished the first one...

She is the worst Friend anyone can EVER ask for. The game would just make me save her over and over. I wish I took one of David's gun's and finished her off myself. Or threw her in the Tornado after pushing her off the cliff. Or I wish she was in the chair where Jefferson did his shit and left her there for his liking. I did get my wish at the end though. Fuck Max for being such a low tier Empath. Chloe was that fucking annoying! And no amount of childhood bestfriend bullshit is going to save this.

And then just because I was curious about Rachel, I played BTS. This game was even more torture with Chloe. Like how many bad decisions can you make? Yea, ok she was a delinquent but having to rub 2 braincells to actually think stupid?

Rant over.
Chloe sucks. I chose the ending where she dies. Such a pretentious cunt 🙄

But it's the usual feminazi/sjw BS that's in most things nowadays

Last edited:

Duchess

Do keep in mind that some players will be playing through the game again to see the other ending, so that could mess with the numbers. Not sure if the devs added anything to only use your first ever decision.

I found the game itself to be bloody excellent. Emotional roller coaster of a story, backed with a great indie soundtrack.

Both Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch delivered superb vocal performances, too.

Alandring

One of the best part of this game is the fact that there is almost a 50/50 split for the last choice. I chose the same option than you, and like you I didn't understand why some people chose to save Chloé, but they are as convicted by their choice as I am by mine. They usually say that if you choose to save the town, it removes every other choice made during the game, making it pointless.

I always thought that was the way they wanted to make saving chloe decision easier because like, parents dont usually send their 16 year olds to study cross state, alone.
I think she's 18 years old.

nikolino840

Do keep in mind that some players will be playing through the game again to see the other ending, so that could mess with the numbers. Not sure if the devs added anything to only use your first ever decision.

I found the game itself to be bloody excellent. Emotional roller coaster of a story, backed with a great indie soundtrack.

Both Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch delivered superb vocal performances, too.
Maybe they are hoping for the lesb ending 😂

Melon Husk

Maybe they are hoping for the lesb ending 😂
I played Max as straight and saved Chloe 🤷‍♀️
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

Last edited:
I didn't hate Chloe but she does have an abrasive personality and a selfish side to her that understandably draws a lot of ire in people.

Nevertheless, I still think the decision to save Chloe is about as objectively wrong as you can get in a game about choices lol. Life is Strange is a coming of age story and what I took from the game and its themes is that Max comes into her own by learning to no longer live with regret. She's an anxious person who regularly regrets social interactions, but her biggest regret in life is ghosting Chloe after her family moved away from Arcadia Bay. You see a lot of that in her journal entries and especially in the episode 3 sub plot. This theme is explored through gameplay with the rewinding and constantly rethinking decisions, as well as having to repeatedly save Chloe. Similarly, the storm destroying the town and plausibly being tied Max's powers (without getting into any LiS 2 bullshit, unmake that game), seems to clearly represent how failing to change could ruin her life. Given all that, the "Save the Bay" ending is the only one that completes Max's character arc IMO. She learns she needs to let go of Chloe, not rely on her powers to navigate life, and shows a mature expression in the ending's final scene.

IIRC DontNod has stated the other ending was rushed due to budget/scheduling/something, so you could use that reason to explain why its the obviously weaker sequence. But to me it speaks volumes that the prioritized one over the other because one of the endings is actually necessary for the games story.

Bragr

Banned
Wasn't this the ending where everything turned supernatural at the end and it was completely absurd?

And didn't Chloe get you involved with that episode where you aimed a gun at someone? Chloe came off to me as the worst sort of friend, the type of person you meet that is eventually gonna get you to end up in jail, so you know you have to ignore them.

But the game doesn't give you that option. At least it's not as bad as Tell Me Why, where you want to throw the lead guy into a meatgrinder within the first 10 minutes.

Pantz

Max is a nutjob who thinks she can control time.
The town's fine, it was just a strong storm and Chloe might not even be real.

BTS was shit. And tried painting Rach as too innocent, considering what we learned of her in LIS1. Cheating on frank with chloe and getting involved in all the rest, running away with that person and nuts to both frank and chloe I guess lmao.
She was always gonna turn into her mother either ending you choose in BtS which is appapro. Tell her the truth and she yearns a new high in life and makes impulsive decisions. Hide the truth and she feels like something is off with Chloe and goes all naughty girl anyways.

nikolino840

Well, if you do everything in a particular way, that does actually happen:

4ec4b205343032215f19abba0255b216.jpg
I Remember when Chloe dares you to kiss her but if you do It She moves the head away 😂 so i've thought that maybe Chloe isn't interested to Max because she's connected to the kidnapped girl

Melon Husk

The ending is 50-50 because what most people do is load a save before the ending and try both.

Saving the town doesn't feel right because 1. it kills the chance of a sequel with an even wackier story 2. it nullifies everything
I just think these games are kinda funny.
The first game is a fantastic choose-your-own-adventure comic book

ManaByte

Gold Member
Played the first to chapters of the latest one. It felt like the game was written by the purple place.

Jsisto

For one, it's a game with no real world consequences. Also, it's been a while since I played but I didn't view Chloe as a bad friend. Incredibly troubled, sure, but I could see why people would pick that choice. Out of love for the character and morbid curiosity for what would happen in that ending. It's the first one I picked.

Filben

Because fuck this town. Collateral deaths are implied only at best but aren't shown. The town can be rebuilt.

drganon

I used to kinda like the first game, but in hindsight it was trash. Your choices don't matter and both endings are dumb.

Chloe is the best part of the game and killing her literally makes the narrative of the game just some weird dream max had as far as the rest of the town is concerned. It removes all consequences of every other choice you made the rest of the game. The max Chloe relationship was one of the most well written character relationships in any media. If you can get out of that game without any connection to the character then I question your ability to care about any character in any game/film/show/book etc.or at the very least your ability to put yourselves in the shoes of a character that's not exactly like you. I'm not saying there's some objective correct choice, just thatI can't fathom any person with a heart at all would kill Chloe without a 2nd thought or any remorse

Fahdis

Chloe is the best part of the game and killing her literally makes the narrative of the game just some weird dream max had as far as the rest of the town is concerned. It removes all consequences of every other choice you made the rest of the game. The max Chloe relationship was one of the most well written character relationships in any media. If you can get out of that game without any connection to the character then I question your ability to care about any character in any game/film/show/book etc.or at the very least your ability to put yourselves in the shoes of a character that's not exactly like you. I'm not saying there's some objective correct choice, just thatI can't fathom any person with a heart at all would kill Chloe without a 2nd thought or any remorse

What the hell?

Dude, there are better narrative context friends than the dumbass namely Chloe. If I was Max I wouldn't be friends with Chloe after her ridiculous choices that would put me in danger as well. A better friend would have been someone like Kate. Heck Victoria and Chloe seemed no different to me outside of one having a best friend back story. Heck even Daxter or Clank or any of Sly's friend's. Heck even the Cat Dog from The Last Guardian is better than Chloe.

C'mon man. I have empathy for people but Chloe is so wreckless. I get she needed help but instead of getting influenced by Max she was exactly the same throughout the game.

What the hell?

Dude, there are better narrative context friends than the dumbass namely Chloe. If I was Max I wouldn't be friends with Chloe after her ridiculous choices that would put me in danger as well. A better friend would have been someone like Kate. Heck Victoria and Chloe seemed no different to me outside of one having a best friend back story. Heck even Daxter or Clank or any of Sly's friend's. Heck even the Cat Dog from The Last Guardian is better than Chloe.

C'mon man. I have empathy for people but Chloe is so wreckless. I get she needed help but instead of getting influenced by Max she was exactly the same throughout the game.
Yep fuck Chloe, not to mention she has that feminazi personality that I can't stand lol

Top Bottom