• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Back From Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumanoki

The really strange thing is that the earthquake hit while we were in Koh Samui and we didn't feel anything. Not a shake, nothing. Geographically, we should've felt something, considering how close we were.

I've seen videos on the Kobe '95 quake before, and they talked a lot about how the topography of the land and the type of earth underlying the surface dictated how the vibrations were disseminated. Areas on more stable bedrock stifled the S waves while areas on more viscous soils magnified the vibrations exponentially. You must have been in a kind of vibration "dead zone" (no pun intended).

Has the US actually stepped up to put a monetary value on the aid they are giving instead of this 'What is deemed neccessary' or whatever I was hearing yesterday.

Even Australia was giving AU$10 million in aid and direct support- which is definately a step in the right direction (though cynics will say it is to impart further influence in Asia and be a partner in ASEAN)

fart

Savant
Fresh Prince said:
Has the US actually stepped up to put a monetary value on the aid they are giving instead of this 'What is deemed neccessary' or whatever I was hearing yesterday.

Even Australia was giving AU$10 million in aid and direct support- which is definately a step in the right direction (though cynics will say it is to impart further influence in Asia and be a partner in ASEAN)
i overheard 20 mil USD on cnn to start with

Cool.
Yesterday it seemed weird that according to CNN(local station had a stream) the EU and Australia already made a contribution but the US (world police) seemed non-commital.

I guess next you'll say that the Bush administration is behind the earthquake. Hell, Anderson Cooper is already asking the question "Who dropped the ball?"..

kumanoki

I was just as surprised as anyone else. Here we were, less than 300 miles away from total destuction, and we didn't hear a thing about it until we got into the island airport departure area. It was weird. We also arrived at the airport in Bangkok before anyone was airlifted out of the affected areas. We were also there yesterday morning and everything was casual there.

We were lucky to get out before the droves of Phuket tourists got out of there.

One of my friends told me that the earthquake was caused by contenental plates shifting over 1000km, and that the force of the shift disrupted the planet's orbit. Any verification on these claims?

Outlaw Pro Mod said:
I guess next you'll say that the Bush administration is behind the earthquake. Hell, Anderson Cooper is already asking the question "Who dropped the ball?"..
Nay. We'll just be wondering if in 20 years times the same earthquake will happen and even further deaths will occur due to rising ocean waters.

kumanoki said:
One of my friends told me that the earthquake was caused by contenental plates shifting over 1000km, and that the force of the shift disrupted the planet's orbit. Any verification on these claims?

The wobble in the earth's rotation may have been disrupted - not the orbit:
In this case, the 9.0-magnitude shock was a "megathrust" quake, which occurs when one tectonic plate is forced beneath another. Initial U.S. Geological Survey data from the quake and its dozens of powerful aftershocks indicate that some 740 miles of the boundary between the India plate and the Burma plate slipped an average of 15 meters and that the sea floor thrust up several meters. It is difficult to determine the total mass of the crust that shifted because the movement was irregular, but when so much of the Earth moves so far, the wobble of its axis will jog slightly, too.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2111443/

Gantz

Banned
Outlaw Pro Mod said:

Yeah Bush and his cronies were testing WMDs underwater which happened to trigger movement in the earth's crust causing the tsunamies.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Man this is one great example of mother nature's awesome powers, I feel horrible for those who were in her way.

I wonder if they have any footage of the actually wave crashing onto the land or not. The chaos must have been insane...

Yeah, I saw that, too...it wasn't easy to watch. It reminded me of this photo this guy took of a tsunami hitting Hawaii, and this guy on a seawall under the 15 foot wave. He was never seen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom