• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, I'm losing my Mom.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm sorry to hear that OP. I hope your remaining time with her gives you the closure you and her both deserve.

DKehoe

I lost my Dad a few years ago and it was really tough. So I totally empathise with what you are going through. I wish there was something I could say that would make it better but sadly there's no easy solution. It's good that you have been there for her though. I've no doubt that meant a lot to her. Keep your family and friends around you and talk with others who knew her about the good times you all shared together. The best way to handle it is through you all supporting each other. You aren't in this alone. You also have the community here.

Last edited:

XXL

Death is always inevitable, we knew it was coming.

The Drs just told our family the antibodies from her cancer were so high that a return to concise isn't going to happen as it's attacking her and it's about comfort.

Just so shitty she's going out this way man
Sorry to hear this.

My Mom passed away 2 years ago, from cancer as well.

It all happened really fast.

Just appreciate the time you have left with her.

elementalnocturne

Neo Member
I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through.

My wife was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer in October. She has gone through several rounds of chemo and recently had debulking surgery but it didn’t go as planned. The chemo was ineffective and the cancer hadn’t shrunk enough to safely remove it. She’s still recovering from surgery. All we can do now is wait for pathology and hopefully get her on some different chemo drugs that work.

Last year at this time we were living a care free life. We were preparing to buy a house and we were planning several vacations. You never know what curve balls life is going to throw at you.

Cherish your loved ones and don’t take them for granted. ❤️

Vyse

Gold Member
I’m so sorry OP. Lost my Mom just before COVID. Very sad and my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

bender

What time is it?
ef8a71475ee9a9985e2a91616477c2fa.png

8bitpill

This isn’t an easy one. I’m sorry for what you’re going through.

Lost my mother in law early last year to oral cancer (she didn’t smoke). It was overlooked by doctors for a couple of years before they gave her a MRI.

It was really hard on my wife and Father in-law. One of the hardest parts for me was my wife telling me that her mother said that she wouldn’t get to see our daughter (her one and only grandchild) grow up, our daughter was only six when my mother in-law passed.

I knew I had to be there for my wife since it was going to mentally crippling her to lose her mother. I hope you have a significant other, close friend or family that can help you through everything you are going through and will go through.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My dad passed in 2007. I remember everything from the moment I got the call at work. It’s hard and there’s nothing you can do besides be with your family for now.

A friend of my mom’s passed away from cancer. I remember going to her house to play with her two daughters as a kid. I can’t believe she’s gone and I only met her once as an adult.

My mom is still alive but she’s also in her 70’s. I couldn’t believe it. I remember when she was in her 30’s. She always seemed young to me. Life’s a bitch. You have to hold onto the good times and cherish the time you have with the people you love.

Last edited:

Raven117

OP, I’m so sorry you and your family are going through this. I lost my mother to breast cancer, and my father of old age.

Watching a loved one die of cancer is very difficult.
(
I know you weren’t looking for advice, but if you want some, definitely reach deep and find the energy to be there for your family. If you can’t be there in person. Call.

Know that while this is a horrible situation, memories of this will fade and you will be left with the loving memories of your mother. Free from all of this.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Death is always inevitable, we knew it was coming.

The Drs just told our family the antibodies from her cancer were so high that a return to concise isn't going to happen as it's attacking her and it's about comfort.

Just so shitty she's going out this way man

I sympathize with you immensely. I was about 14-15 when I was "taking care" of my Grandpa. He was dying of Colon Cancer. I don't want to get into the details, but, this was a huge guy, and getting him to the restroom and cleaning him was a chore.. to say the most. I just wish I was more mature, maybe I could have made him more comfortable...
Anyway, I don't want to make this about me, but you've reminded me that I need to take care of Mom, too. She's entering a new phase in her life and we're about to find out some "things" too. These types of situations aren't easy to handle... anyhow.. this thread is a strong reminder that I need to take care of my Mother, too.
Spend more time, as well... I look forward to 2024, with melancholy... I sure want to find some optimism, though.

ElRenoRaven

Thoughts and prayers for ya. Lost my dad about 20 years ago to lung cancer and my mom to an infection from knee replacements 5 years ago. I won't say it will get easier because it doesn't. Just spend as much time as you can with her while she's still here. After she is gone you'll hurt. People will say it gets easier, it gets better. It doesn't though. You just learn to live with that void in your life.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Sorry OP, lost my father to cancer three years ago, was by his side in his final moments and watched the light fade from his eyes. Almost lost my mother the same night, she got into a car crash trying to get back after I informed her, ended up in the ER at the same hospital. Cherish every moment you have with those you love.

Gp1

Lost my mother at the end of 2022 in a abrupt way (cigarette related) and it was easily the worst period of my life.
These things scars you and you will miss her, I still miss mine almost everyday. Spend the time you have with her, make her comfortable and say everything you have to say now. One of my biggest regrets was not saying some things I should have said.

In the end you are her son and she will remain alive in you.

And last, what i will tell you may sound harsh and cold but give some time to tend to the legal procedures before fer passing away. At least where i live, it is almost brutal to deal with this things in a period of grief.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm really sorry to hear it. I lost my Mum to cancer too. One of the things I take comfort in was that, knowing what was coming, I was able to say that I love her.

This will be very hard to cope with, let people be nice to you and be there for them too.

Feel free to message me if you think it would be helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom