• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, I'm losing my Mom.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Cherish every moment you have left with her and make the most of it!

I lost my birth mom in 2020 a couple weeks after my birthday. We couldn't get to see her in time before her passing so my remaining memory of her alive is from a picture taken by my aunt.

Love up on her and do everything you can to make her smile and laugh cry tears of happiness. I wish I could have been able to do that before my birth mom passed.

badblue

I am sorry to hear that. Death of a loved one isn't easy especially when it's after prolonged illness.

Both my parents are still around (I should call my mom), but I've supported my wife through the loss of both of her parents. I hope you both have good people around for support.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Death is always inevitable, we knew it was coming.

The Drs just told our family the antibodies from her cancer were so high that a return to concise isn't going to happen as it's attacking her and it's about comfort.

Just so shitty she's going out this way man
Cancer is the one thing i feel we should have fixed as a society by this point or atleast have some great pointers to a general cure. It is infuriating to see how this is yet not the case.

Love your mom for the time left. She will let you know how much that means to her, a life well spent.

Puscifer

Cancer is the one thing i feel we should have fixed as a society by this point or atleast have some great pointers to a general cure. It is infuriating to see how this is yet not the case.

Love your mom for the time left. She will let you know how much that means to her, a life well spent.
Just discussed EOL care, she's basically unresponsive and we're following the decisions she wanted. So I'm going to fly down and see her while she's here

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m so sorry man. Stay strong for her and spend as much time as you can with her. 💙

ElRenoRaven

I’m so sorry Op. Try and get some photos videos talking to your mum. When my dad passed away. I would wish to hear his voice so any videos I had I could rewatch. But he lived far away from me so I don’t have so many

I cannot stress this enough.
I'll third these posts too. Just having their voices via tape and audio recording or a random video of you and them together helps sometimes when you're in a low place and missing them.

Loope

Lost my dad in 2019, he had a stroke on january 1st and died in july on my mom's birthday. Had to watch him wither away those 7 months and although it was hard as hell, it's important to be there. Stay strong for her, she will need to hear your voice, it is important. I said goodbye to my dad one hour before he passed aways, when i remember it i cry like a baby, but fuck it, i like to believe he could hear me and that it was important for him to listen to his son one last time.

If you need someone to talk to, i'm here man.

Puscifer

She's gone

I saw her for her last Thanksgiving and took her out for a day at the beach and a steak dinner in the same week

She also told everyone how proud of me she was that I was able to move across the country and regardless of her missing me she was happy that it meant personal success in my life

I talked to her the Thursday before shit went haywire, it was short but at least we both told each other we love each other and that she thought Past Lives was "so cool"

I have a busy week ahead of me taking care of her affairs with the rest of our family.

Love your parents while you can, I've never felt so numb

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

She's gone

I saw her for her last Thanksgiving and took her out for a day at the beach and a steak dinner in the same week

She also told everyone how proud of me she was that I was able to move across the country and regardless of her missing me she was happy that it meant personal success in my life

I talked to her the Thursday before shit went haywire, it was short but at least we both told each other we love each other and that she thought Past Lives was "so cool"

I have a busy week ahead of me taking care of her affairs with the rest of our family.

Love your parents while you can, I've never felt so numb
Sorry to hear that. The good thing is she knew you loved her. Numbness comes. So does Anger, sorrow, the 2nd guessing, etc. You're not alone. As I said earlier. You will learn to survive. You will learn to live with the hole that is now left. Just remember all these emotions are natural. It's ok to cry. It's ok to be angry. It's natural and it just shows how much she meant to you that you're feeling all these emotions. It won't get easier. You'll simply learn to live with it and that's it. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

0neAnd0nly

Hey man. I started a thread a few years ago detailing my moms battle with ovarian cancer. She passed this last August. I won't get on it too much, because this thread is about you - not me, just offering a bit of context for the situation.

I just saw this thread recently, wanted to make it a point to post in it.

No matter what anyone tells you... it doesn't get easy and time doesn't help you forget. That isn't a doom and gloom post - please don't take it as such. I actually enjoy the memories of my mom, even though it brings a sting of pain. I still reach for the phone to call her... or think in my head about a conversation I want to have before the realization sets in. I am glad I remember her though, glad when she pops into my head. She deserves that, a legacy that lives on in my heart and mind. My mom was amazing, and the testament to that is that I think about her often still. I hope that is similar to yours for you. If it is - hold on to her, don't forget her smile, her voice. Those memories will block out the more current ones, the bad ones, in time.

That being said, the pain... the times where you are alone... It sucks. It's hard. But it is ok, and it will be ok.

I am here if you need to talk, and I mean that. You can PM me any time.

Remember the good, don't forget her face... don't let yourself forget no matter how much it gives your heart that familiar jolt you probably have currently.

Much love, GAF bro. My prayers are with you.

Top Bottom