• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier claims CDPR is lying about Cyberpunk 2077 crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladin

Crunch happens at team level all the time in software companies. It's never accounted as over time work.

Madflavor

I used to respect Jason, because he does do good work, but lately he's been coming off as an asshole. A egotistical, manipulative asshole. An asshole who blocks people for simply and respectfully disagreeing with him. People are slowly starting to turn on him, both inside the industry and out. The guy has a reputation for being a bit of a bully it seems.

Hope the devs get equity, bonuses and ot pay. Otherwise they should quit and work somewhere that gives those benefits. Not really a big deal that they work overtime if they are getting paid.

They're getting OT, and a substantial bonus. It's somewhere in the tens of thousands. By the time the game is released, these deves are gonna be better off than the majority of the population. They'll be taking a lot of time off, right when the holiday season hits, with an asshole of cash in their pocket.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In a nutshell, one day Jason Schreier is looking for a job and two companies offer him a role:

Company #1 is a well respected established business who needs someone to report important news (albeit perhaps sometimes boring) to the general public. It might even be related to the gaming industry, gaming associations and helping grow the industry as they need someone who knows lots of people.

Company #2 needs someone who digs dirt to find out which gaming companies are having financial trouble hurting their image, which game companies have the shittiest cafeteria food, and which have the fewest parking spots in the company lot.

Result: Jason deletes the email from company #1 and accepts the job at #2, even going as far as telling them their ideas above are too soft.

Last edited:

nush

Drama is good for clicks, and that's exactly why he was hired.

You know that's not why, the interview probably went something like this. JS: "My faux outrage articles designed to cause the SWJs who I pander too, flip the fuck out and sperg-retweet investigative journalism on the mistreatment of workers within the games industry gets a huge amount of engagement on social media and page impressions on the site and I can deliver that for Bloomberg too. Did I mention that I'm actually published author?"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Guys, this Jason Shreier bloke must have a beef with CDPR... I can't wrap my head around why this bloke has such a hard-on for dissing CDPR.
He's had a beef with Bethesda for like 7 years.

Before Fallout 4 released there were leaks some person did spilling the beans on plot, location etc..... I remember reading it. I dont know how accurate the whole thing was (it was either a big Reddit or 4Chan post), but there must have been enough credibility in that post Bethesda went ape shit.

Not surprisingly, Jason and Kotaku jump on it posting more about it and Bethesda blacklisted them even since. I think UBI did too (not sure why). For years, Jason would bring up Bethesda as it seems to bug him here and there.

His bee-line focus on CDPR must have an angle to it too.

Or perhaps just compiling as much crud he can to promote his video game books for the millionth time.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
images

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

“nearly a dozen CDPR devs”
“a couple CDPR devs”
-Jason

Names, Jason, names. You need to actually give proof that your contacts exist outside of “I know a guy.” I have never seen Jason name a source. The fact that there are real people out there, with perfectly functional brains, that buy into this guys bullcrap is beyond astounding. “Nearly a dozen devs” isn’t credible. It could be one person. It could be no one at all.

JLB

Banned
Crunch happens at team level all the time in software companies. It's never accounted as over time work.

This is not entirely true, although is normal. But I've been on software companies that fully respected a well crafted life / work balance. Other... well, not so much.

TheKingSalami

Neo Member
If you really want a cringe worthy experience, you should try to listen to Schreier's podcast he does on the Maximum Fun network. That voice of his match's his looks perfectly.

Oh shit! Their employees are getting paid big overtime bonuses as their company's biggest release in years is coming close!!! Just who the fuck does CDPR think they are?

What other business would dare do this!!!!! No business in the entire world ever, ever does overtime and then pays their employees more money for overtime! Not a single one. I checked with unnamed sources. This never happens. The scoundrels! They make their employees work more than 40 hours a week right before a huge release! And let us not forget 40 hours a week is already modern day slavery. Should be 10 hours a week of work... MAX. And yes, all businesses that even have 40 hours a week is like literally like being in an abusive relationship... or something like that. Don't @ me. I'll block you.

SERIOUSLY CANCEL THEM! They are Slave drivers!!!

We don't deserve Jason. The man is stunning and brave.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
“nearly a dozen CDPR devs”
“a couple CDPR devs”
-Jason

Names, Jason, names. You need to actually give proof that your contacts exist outside of “I know a guy.” I have never seen Jason name a source. The fact that there are real people out there, with perfectly functional brains, that buy into this guys bullcrap is beyond astounding. “Nearly a dozen devs” isn’t credible. It could be one person. It could be no one at all.
They don’t.

Journalist have source protection by law... only a Judge can force them to reveal their sources.

That exists to avoid backslash to the sources.

Scotty W

What is that profile picture change, Schreier, lol.
I was just noticing that too. What, does he think he is a detective in a Hollywood movie?

now that I think about it, I would love to see a movie about gaming journalism:

brainstorming- Schreier, LA Confidential, noir, Schreier using his superior talking skills to stop fights, Zoe Quinn as the femme fatale, a journalistic cabal. That’s the key, Schreier is portrayed as protecting the cabal, which is a good thing. Hideo Kojima needs to be involved too- he has got a scoop that could crack the world wide open. The cabal is the justice league.

The Trump administration secretly owns all the major videogame companies, and is using that to suppress left narratives. One day Kojima gives him a clue, but involves tracking down the mystery over a huge series of games over many years. The final clue, which shows that Trump is actually Satan is found in a fully completed version of Kojima’s Silent Hill.

MaulerX

At this point he's pretty much an anti-crunch activist. It's part of the working world in general. How many businesses small and large work overtime just to stay afloat? It's part of the working world and happens every where. I'm pretty sure he has crunched himself just to get a story out.

And his condescending demeanor where he thinks he's perfect and does no wrong is the cherry on the shit cake. Man can't take any form of criticism whatsoever. He just blocks you full stop.

I bet a big reason why he's going so hard after CDPR is because they dare to be successful fucking white men who don't care about the identity politics screechers on Twitter. Same for that guy who looks like a fat lesbian and wears cringy costumes and constantly shouts into the microphone, what was his name again? Sterling?

They don’t.

Journalist have source protection by law... only a Judge can force them to reveal their sources.

That exists to avoid backslash to the sources.
Have you read any investigative journalism outside of Jason’s work? Only using anonymous sources isn’t common.

ethomaz

Banned
Have you read any investigative journalism outside of Jason’s work? Only using anonymous sources isn’t common.
It is pretty common and I will say essential.

BTW investigative journalism doesn’t exists without anonymous source.

“However, investigative journalism does not exist without anonymous sources. Just think back to Watergate as the key example. There is information that needs to come out and will not come out without anonymous sources. So, when a journalist protects a source, it goes beyond their professional reputation. It goes beyond that source’s personal safety. It’s about preserving an ecosystem in which important information to our democracies can come out.”

Last edited:

nush

But Jasons "anonymous sources " are just bitter ex-employees with a vendetta or SJWs he panders too DM-ing him on Twitter.

You'd get the same shit from a Glassdoor review.

It is pretty common and I will say essential.

BTW investigative journalism doesn’t exists without anonymous source.

“However, investigative journalism does not exist without anonymous sources. Just think back to Watergate as the key example. There is information that needs to come out and will not come out without anonymous sources. So, when a journalist protects a source, it goes beyond their professional reputation. It goes beyond that source’s personal safety. It’s about preserving an ecosystem in which important information to our democracies can come out.”
Thanks for the reads. Here’s my favorite excerpt from the first link:

“Bear in mind that in some countries, reporters and editors are tortured to reveal the names of sources.”

Of course this is an extreme part of the job, but it’s hilarious to read this with the context that you’re defending Jason Schreier. This guy is reporting on video games. And yes, the use of anonymous sources is common. I never said it wasn’t. Only ever using anonymous sources in your work is not common.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks for the reads. Here’s my favorite excerpt from the first link:

“Bear in mind that in some countries, reporters and editors are tortured to reveal the names of sources.”

Of course this is an extreme part of the job, but it’s hilarious to read this with the context that you’re defending Jason Schreier. This guy is reporting on video games. And yes, the use of anonymous sources is common. I never said it wasn’t. Only ever using anonymous sources in your work is not common.
Sadly it goes over torture.
Witness elimination is a reality :(

Kagey K

Banned
If he’s not working for them, or forced to crunch under them, what business is it of his?

Jesus fucking crust, this just proves how bored we are in our own lives.

Everyone is soft and we are arguing about crunch amd genders while others are actually fighting to stay alive.

Omg I couldn’t get a latte on paid time, I’m filing a report with HR.

Last edited:
I've been crunching through coursework for the past 1.5 years. If I hadn't crunched my grades would be far worse, I would have fallen behind my peers, I wouldn't be on track for completing my degree in 4 years. I have zero regrets. If people want to crunch, that is their choice. Let them have it. I don't understand at all this whole anti-crunch narrative. It's asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom